The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy fight - LHW

5 posters

Go down

Fantasy fight - LHW Empty Fantasy fight - LHW

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:08 pm

Spinks vs Archie Moore

Who wins over 15 rounds. Spinks for me by clear decision. Far too fast and damned awkward for Archie to catch up to.

azania

Back to top Go down

Fantasy fight - LHW Empty Re: Fantasy fight - LHW

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

Agreed, boringly enough.

The two fantasy matches I'd have also paid a lot to see would have been Charles-Tunney and Greb-Foster. In fact this is the division where you really could make excellent use of a time machine.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:16 pm

Charles would have beaten Tunney and Foster would have KO'd Greb quickly. The jab does it when you ignore the straight right.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:20 pm

I wish I were as sure about anything as you are about everything, az! Think Charles would indeed have beaten Tunney, but it would have been a pleasure to watch - two of the outstanding, scientific boxers of any time and no mean hitters, either.

Foster-Greb - well, it might have gone as you suggest, but that's the way that Bob would have had to win it. No chance whatever of him outpointing Harry, and I'd love to see how he dealt with the kind of pressure that Greb would have applied.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

Foster against almost any of the elite light-heavys is a fantasy match up that I'd want to see.

Not sure I'd be all that keen on Moore v Spinks as it has all the hallmarks of being a stinker (which I'd also pick Spinks to just about nick).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:26 pm

I'm always comfortable and no splinters on my rear end. Foster would be too accurate for Greb with the jab and straight right. Like most brawlers, a jad is like their crucifix and the straight right the stake.

Foster by early KO.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:35 pm

Like most brawlers, a jad is like their crucifix and the straight right the stake.

Tunney wasn't lacking in either, Az, and he had plenty of difficulties. Foster starts as clear favourite but I'm not so sure that it would be all that comfortable.

P.S. I suspect you want more of a rise out of someone than has been offered so far and I bid you good luck.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:43 pm

Spinks against Moore? Tough one. Very, very tough in fact.

Both of them had the knack of getting stronger and stronger as the fight went on; Moore's late turnarounds against Durelle and Johnson are the stuff of legend, while Spinks, after some rocky moments mid-fight, pulled clear of Qawi in the championship rounds to unify the 175 lb division, and did the same thing to hang on to his Heavyweight title by the skin of his teeth against Holmes, up at Heavyweight, in their second bout.

I think the opening rounds would be terse, but Archie was always that little bit easier to find than Jinx, who knew how to use his height and reach advantages at the weight. I think Spinks has a lead at the half way stage.

However, I can imagine this being a little bit like the Herol Graham-Mike mcCallum bout; a fight of two halves, with Spinks (Graham) looking top class and incontrol from the outside in the first half, while Moore (McCallum) eventually pushes his man back, makes it an inside fight and turns the tide late on with his greater experience (lest we forget, Moore had about two hundred professional bouts to his name, compared to just thirty-odd for Spinks).

Close either way, but I'll go for Moore to overturn a points deficit and sweep up the championship rounds to secure a wafer-thin deicison, possibly split.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 2:47 pm

superflyweight wrote:
Like most brawlers, a jad is like their crucifix and the straight right the stake.

Tunney wasn't lacking in either, Az, and he had plenty of difficulties. Foster starts as clear favourite but I'm not so sure that it would be all that comfortable.

P.S. I suspect you want more of a rise out of someone than has been offered so far and I bid you good luck.

Whistle Erm

Nope. Its just me favouring boxers who possess a very good jab against brawlers and swarmers. Forster also had dynamite in his right hence I reckon he would KO Greb. From what I have read, he wasn't exactly difficult to find. Just tough as old boots. Foster would find him often with the left before he detonates the right.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 04 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

azania wrote:I'm always comfortable and no splinters on my rear end. Foster would be too accurate for Greb with the jab and straight right. Like most brawlers, a jad is like their crucifix and the straight right the stake.

Foster by early KO.

From when did Harry Greb suddenly become llabeled as a brawler? If Foster were to beat Harry, I'd imagine he'd have to went through sheer hell to do it.

Thanks

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:26 pm

Rodney wrote:
azania wrote:I'm always comfortable and no splinters on my rear end. Foster would be too accurate for Greb with the jab and straight right. Like most brawlers, a jad is like their crucifix and the straight right the stake.

Foster by early KO.

From when did Harry Greb suddenly become llabeled as a brawler? If Foster were to beat Harry, I'd imagine he'd have to went through sheer hell to do it.

Thanks

Rodders

Well what was he then?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:46 pm

The more I read about about Greb from his biography and newspaper articles, his style seems similar in the modern day era of a Joe Calzaghe, with a stronger chin, endless endurance and lightening fast speed.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:47 pm

What I read was that he was a brawler.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:53 pm

What have you read Az?

Read a good book about Greb recently pretty heavy going by Paxton, all mainly newspaper cuttings but a good read, far from a face first brawler.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Oct 2012, 10:58 pm

I've read stuff online that he was all over many boxers like a rash. Was quick as you say, worked for every minute of every round and had frightening stamina. But still a brawler.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 05 Oct 2012, 9:37 am

Rodney wrote:The more I read about about Greb from his biography and newspaper articles, his style seems similar in the modern day era of a Joe Calzaghe, with a stronger chin, endless endurance and lightening fast speed.

Cheers Rodders

Calzaghe is the only comparable modern fighter I can think of, Rodders. Paxton's book is excellent and essential reading because it gives real insight into the greatest fighter we'll never see fight and dispels many of the myths about the man.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down