The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey 2nd XI

+3
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
Carrotdude
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Surrey 2nd XI  Empty Surrey 2nd XI

Post by Carrotdude Mon 18 Apr 2011, 6:02 pm

I thought it might be a nice idea to have a thread to keep an eye on any stand out performances from our 2nd XI this season. I'm definitely looking for the likes of Jewell, Harinath and (to begin with at least) Jordan to show some form.

Today they started their first 2nd XI championship match against the MCC Young Cricketers who batted first and were all out for 365. Jewell took 3 wickets which is nice to hear.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Surrey 2nd XI  Empty Re: Surrey 2nd XI

Post by guildfordbat Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:56 pm

Carrot - good post, good idea. Without delivering anything earth shattering, Jewell has nonetheless produced a few useful performances over the last month with bat and ball. I'm sure he'll get an opportunity in the firsts once the one day stuff starts ....

Corporal - your boy Dunn again missing. I've asked the regulars on the wallpaper site if they know why but so far no reply ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 18 Apr 2011, 10:04 pm

Carrot - ditto - good idea.

Hopefully the contributions to the thread will be better than the strange write up about today's play on the Surrey website.

The platoon is on standby as a search party for the missing Dunn! They just await marching orders...

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 19 Apr 2011, 5:02 pm

207 all out today, oh dear!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Apr 2011, 9:26 pm

More runs and again in quick time for Arun Harinath today. He scored 93 off 94 balls as the 2nds went down by ninety odd runs to MCC Young Cricketers. Jordan chipped in with 60.

Someone posted on the wallpaper site that Dunn was seen bowling at pace on the outfield Monday lunchtime. Hopefully it was just a minor knock now put away. Corporal's platoon can probably stand down for now ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:13 pm

It was a pretty good effort today, good to see Jordan, Jewell and Harinath perform well again.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 20 Apr 2011, 10:41 pm

I would like to see Harinath given another go in the first team before long. I'm not wholly convinced that Wilson is cut out to be an opener.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 29 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

Depressed Carrot - there's a chap due to play for the seconds tomorrow called Ramprakash. Understand he bats a bit .... Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:11 am

Dunn has reappeared and is on the team list for the 2nd X1 match today.

With neither Brown nor Wilson delivering the goods as openers so far this season there has to be a strong incentive for Roy, Harinath and Lancefield to push for an opportunity....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 30 Apr 2011, 7:53 pm

Roy scored an unbeaten century today, and Ramps scored 90 on his comeback you can't keep him out of the runs! He shouldn't even be fit yet! Lancfield and Spriegel both got 40's in the total of 322-3. We won comfortably with Jewell taking a couple.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:07 pm

I understand that, unless he suffers any reaction, Ramps is being lined up to play against Leics in this week's CC match. Even some talk of him opening ....

Good to see Roy back amongst the runs. Form is temporary, class etc etc

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:27 pm

I'd be happy to see Ramps opening, batting at number 3 in the last few seasons has been as good as opening anyway and the only 2 batsmen we can realistically drop are the openers.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 09 May 2011, 10:18 pm

Anyone know where you can view second XI scorecards? Seems to be permanently "temporarily unavailable" on the Surrey website....

Maybe it's an economy measure......? Rolling Eyes

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 09 May 2011, 11:31 pm

Corporal,

The 2nd XI scorecards that used to be shown on the Surrey website were supplied by either by the BBC or some other external provider, certainly not the Club. Due to cutbacks by whoever was the provider, I believe the unavailabilty is now 'permanent' rather than just 'temporary'.

However, nil desperandum as we say down the mine. The Cricketer publication shows such scorecards for this season and previous ones on the Archive section of its website.

Probably due to incompetence and technophobia, I'm struggling to supply the actual link. However, if you google 'cricket archive second eleven 2011' the first site you should get shown is for all 2nd XI Trophy scorecards and future fixtures this season. If you go from there to the Home page, you can access similar for 2nd XI Championship matches.

Trust this all helps and means you can spend summer evenings immersed in Freddie van den Bergh's economy rate rather than having to actually strike up conversation with other members of the Humblebucket clan .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 May 2011, 11:19 pm

Cambridge University at Fenners: 3 day game comm Wed 11 May

It's actually a first class game but features many of the regulars from the seconds including the Corporal's protege Dunn. Team is being captained by Pietersen - not comfortable with that. Spriegel (who is playing) has led many of these guys well in the seconds and must know them better.

Opportunities also for Harinath and Lancefield plus probably the last chance saloon for King ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 10 May 2011, 11:27 pm

Thanks for the info about scorecards, I had been having the same problem as Corporal! From what I can gather from the reports the 2nd XI won against Gloucestershire with Harinath getting another 50 and King in the wickets. Wilson and Brown both failed though it seems. On Twitter Brown has said he has a 'bulging disc' in his back so is out for a couple of weeks which is bad news for him.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 May 2011, 6:50 pm

Day One - a headline writer's dream:

KP SLIPS UP AND OUT!
STUDENT ANSARI TEACHES SENIORS A LESSON!
JEWELL SHINES!
IS FREDDIE READY?
A-RUN OUT FOR 80!
BOY GEORGE OUT OF TUNE!

Maybe the Corporal can put to verse ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 11 May 2011, 9:15 pm

Harinath seems to have done very well this year and must be pushing for another go at opening the batting, although he will have to wait for the Roy/Hyphen one to be given a go. Unsurprisingly KP got out to a left arm spinner, he really needs to sort himself out against that type of bowler!

Excellent to see Jewell get runs and wickets, although he was expensive. I think he is one of the closest to the first team out of those on display in this match, probably behind Jordan in the pecking order.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 11 May 2011, 9:16 pm

Guildford - thanks for the update on finding scorecards.

An interesting day's play at Fenners (counting this as a 2nd XI match for purposes of this thread!) Harinath, Ansari and Jewell making the most of the opportunities. Wilson and Lancefield not advancing their chances. Fast bowling hopes Dunn and Edwards have not yet set world on fire this season.

Poetic inspiration not yet struck - but the potential is there! (King, Jewell, the Viscount) Smile

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sat 14 May 2011, 7:29 pm

Despite it being a massively inexperienced team I am thoroughly disappointed and embarrassed by the result. Harinath comes out of it with some credibility but Wilson and some others have pushed themselves further down the pecking order rather than push their case.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 16 May 2011, 11:13 pm

Given Spriegel's exploits with bat and ball in the CB40 does anyone think that this should enhance the possibilities of him featuring in the CC?

Of those who might be regarded as pushing to move beyond the 2nd XI Roy has clearly broken through and made a good case for a regular position in the first XI with some consistent performances; and Harinath must be pushing for a place, definitely ahead of Wilson and possibly in competition with Brown.

Spriegel was poor when he was pushed into the openers slot in the cc but I don't think he would let people down if called upon for No 6 slot. I guess the opportunities currently look limited if Ramps remains fit and de Bruyn, Maynard and from time to time Pieterson are around. So maybe his best hope is to continue to put in strong performances in CB40.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 May 2011, 3:48 pm

Corporal - Spriegel's recent one day performances must surely have increased his chances of playing in the CC although I still don't see that there is a place for him at the moment.

His batting has been the most impressive. Not only has he made good scores but he's more than once judged the situation well and displayed a calm temperament under pressure which Adams will have noticed. His bowling has been fine although I believe it's often easier to pick up a couple of wickets from 8 overs in CB 40 than 20 overs in a CC innings.

Although not there yet, he must have moved further up the pecking order in recent weeks overtaking the likes of Lancefield and Wilson in the batting stakes ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 17 May 2011, 3:54 pm

He's definitely someone who could be competing with Schofield for the number 7 slot when we want a second spinner, especially if Schofield keeps not picking up wickets.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed 18 May 2011, 6:38 pm

Last update I saw from the second XI game against Somerset Harinath was 108*.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 May 2011, 8:08 pm

According to the club website Arun Harinath went on to score 130. If he hasn't got a foot in the door, he must be banging loudly on it!

A strong team batting performance today. In addition to Harinath's century, Tom Lancefield and Chris Jordan both hit fifties with Shaun Cousens making 48.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 18 May 2011, 8:53 pm

Hopefully as Guildford says its one or the other - or Harinath is likely to injure his foot if he bangs too heavily....

This really confirms Harinath is next in line to open. Everyone else seems to be getting a turn....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

Time to resurrect this thread. Surrey second XI have beaten Essex very heavily. Particularly pleasing that one of our young fast bowlers, Edwards, took 8 wickets. Dunn also took a few more. Sounds as tho Edwards' bowling was pretty hostile...

It is very encouraging that we have Meaker, Dunn and Edwards all at various stages of development. Just hope that progress is not wrecked by injury.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:29 pm

Edwards seems to be bowling well this season. I do not understand why Jewell is so highly thought of by Adams (playing before Dunn this season) as he seems very average.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 15 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

To be fair Edwards is still very young and has not surprisingly had a few bad days as well - eg against Cambridge.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 15 Jun 2011, 11:03 pm

Well resurrected, Corporal. Deservedly so for these young quicks.

I know Carrot set this thread up to highlight stand out performances but I hope I can still use it to mention one other.

Tom Lancefield was left out of both Monday's second XI one day game and this (scheduled) three day match. I suppose he might be injured although that seems unlikely as he was playing for Banstead on Saturday. Like others, I was surprised late last year when he was 'rewarded' for a pretty decent and encouraging debut season with only a one year contract (Rory Burns was awarded a two year contract at the same time). The impression I'm getting is that his face doesn't seem to fit. Even though his overall performances this summer for the seconds have been disappointing, I hope I'm wrong and that he gets more opportunity with Surrey. I believe he's potentially good enough to stiill play a part and should be suitably encouraged.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thestags Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:06 pm

just joined! but I do like to follow the second team as i've seen many of the young players develop, I have to say I cant understand either why lancefield wasn't rewarded with a two year deal, a very good player, however I'm unsure as to whether he really is an opener. I feel that the reason he may be struggling is the fact he's holding back from playing his natural game as an aggressive striker of the ball and perhaps opening the batting isn't actually his role in the longer form of the game.

Saw Burns got runs yesterday very pleased about that, but why do the persist in batting him down the order, last year he scored over 650 second XI championship runs opening the batting including 3 100s. Is this not the sort of man we want at the top of the order?

thestags

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:31 pm

Stags - a very warm welcome to 606v2 and the Surrey threads in particular.

You may well be right about Lancefield. I'm sure confidence - or rather lack of it - also now comes into the equation.

I haven't seen Burns bat but take your point. I and, I know, a few others would also like to see Harinath given another opportunity before too long. He was dealt a poor hand of cards last season - a young player trying to make his way in a mainly losing team with a different opening partner every other game.

As to watching our young players develop, I've probably been boring people silly on this site and the old 606 for ages about Jason Roy!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by thestags Thu 16 Jun 2011, 9:36 pm

I was referring to Burns in the second team more than anything it makes no sense in signing him to me if were not going to bat him in the place where all his runs were scored!

I agree with you about Harinath he's the most consistent performer in second team cricket and I'm sure that his opportunity hopefully comes soon. Jason Roy has bundles and bundles of talent agreed, but not sure how long the opening partnership of RHB and Roy will continue, although at the moment there making a very good hash of it I believe Harinath is certainly our man at the top of the order!

thestags

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Stags - wanted to ask what you make of Jewell. JBD (see above) is not all that keen and I recall other Surrey posters have expressed doubts. Do you seem him as a realistic prospect for the first team?

I recall he did better than most in that rather unfortunate match against Cambridge earlier this season. But I think the query is whether he might just be a bits and pieces player.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 16 Jun 2011, 10:11 pm

Stags - Whilst highly effective more often than not at the moment and tremendous entertainment at times, I'm also not convinced as to the long prospects of Hyphen and Roy opening.

I attach no personal blame at all to the player but do think part of the issue stems from our signing Maynard. I questioned at the time if the signing was appropriate and, at least to some extent, still do. One of the consequences has been to play Roy as a temporary, makeshift opener and squeeze Harinath out of current first team contention.

It is though a tricky one as Maynard has played very well to date and made fine efforts to fit in here ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:12 am

The way that we have been playing there is no reason why we couldn't drop Schofield and play 7 batsmen, he hardly bowls so doesn't need to be there! Then again our batting is OK and taking wickets is where we struggle so it might be worth playing another proper bowler instead of Schofield.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

The Corporal asked last month about locating scorecards for second eleven games now that they no longer appear on the Club's own website. Someone pointed out yesterday on the wallpaper site ('Oval World') that they are shown there in the Cards & Fixtures section.

You can view seconds' scorecards there going back for the last five years. As the Kommandant is currently away from the Woking salt mines (apparently bitten by his own alsatian), I had a quick look earlier today at how our seconds had got on in my own neck of the woods, ie Guildford, in each of the annual games held there during this time.

Most interesting / sad / bizarre aspect to me was that our side for the 2006 Guildford game included five players who five years on are still in or around the seconds today: Arun Harinath, Spriegel, Wilson, King and he who shall not be named. Five others have moved on or retired in the meantime. The eleventh? Jade Dernbach playing for England in an ODI today!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:50 pm

It's a shame that although I'm sure they have all improved (except Mr. S) they are still not playing regular first team cricket. From what I've seen only Harinath has the ability to nail down a first 11 place. It makes me question why we have bothered to keep King for so long for sure.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:14 pm

"As the Kommandant is currently away from the Woking salt mines (apparently bitten by his own alsatian)...." Very Happy

Guildford - I hope the productivity and the QA/QC(?) is not sliding too much in the Kommandant's absence. Sounds like an interesting character - did he set up the classics tuition for the workers (eg nil desperandum) - or could they already converse in Latin when taken on? Wink

Carrot - I agree. It seems doubtful that King will be kept on much longer if he hasn't made the break through by now. With Ansari looking promising and Freddie the Van coming along behind it is difficult to see where King would fit in - other than as useful component of Surrey limericks about royalty - if that's not too harsh!

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 28 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

Corporal - 500 posts up clap clap clap clap clap

Besides an avid interest in the classics, the Kommandant professes to be a chess grandmaster so you may come across him one of these days Wink

Agree with both you and Carrot about King. He doesn't even seem to be playing regularly now for the seconds. Always a shame when talent fails to match hopes but I do think now is the time for King and Surrey to go their separate ways ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

Thanks Guildford! Very Happy You next? But you'll need to keep eye out for Carrot and Jimbob coming up on the rails.... Wink

Sounds as tho' your Kommandant at chess is a field marshall in comparison to a humble corporal. Or maybe he just talks a good game!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:40 pm

Corporal - the latter I'm sure but isn't that what Kommandants are all about?! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:57 pm

see today that jordan took 8 for 19 including a hat trick against the mcc clap clap also harinath got 60 and schofield 65

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:57 pm

Harinath has to be up for first team selection soon. Pleased for Jordan - looked like there was real risk that he would fizzle out altogether after his injury.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:01 pm

Regardless of the situation and opposition, getting 8/19 is very very good. It bodes well for the future. As for Harinath, he seems to get runs everytime I hear about a second 11 game.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Just had a quick gander at the scorecards to get some stats which make interesting reading.

Harinath averages 61.4 from his 5 Championship games this season, 42 from 5 Trophy games with a SR of 0.84 and 21 from the T20 games at a run a ball.

Lancefield averages 10.5 from 8 T20 games for the seconds...maybe he shouldn't play!

One interesting thing I noticed is that in the first match against Hampshire, their 2nd 11 team included Afridi, Lumb, Adams, Vince, Tahir, Cork, Briggs and Simon Jones! No wonder we got thumped!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

100 today for harinath clap clap cant be long now before he is given another chance

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 05 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

Has to be really doesn't he? If not I hope he moves on to a new county who will give him first team matches, he definitely deserves it. Trouble is, I can't see us playing 7 batsmen so unless we drop Roy (won't happen) so I don't think he'll play in the next match which is a mistake. Personally I'd go for Meaker, Linley, Arafat and Batty (Dunn if it's a seamers paradise) as the 4 bowlers with de Bruyn and Hyphen as a 5th/6th option. I was going to say Ansari but he hasn't played any 2nd XI championship games this year and should be a 5th bowler/number 7 batsman in my view.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Tue 05 Jul 2011, 4:33 pm

I'm afraid that Harinath will have to wait for an injury/ loss of form before getting into the CC side, although he should definitely be next in line IMO.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 05 Jul 2011, 5:48 pm

intresting that yet again lancefield not in the team

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next