The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships

4 posters

Go down

OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships Empty OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships

Post by Luke Fri 05 Oct 2012, 4:18 pm

So the regular season has now finished, the teams for the post season sorted out the division winners get s game off as first up is the wildcard games this Sunday (7th).

The AL wildcard game sees the Baltimore Orioles travel down to the Arlington Ballpark to face the Texas Rangers.

The NL wildcard game sees the St Louis Cardinals(last season's winners), travel to Turner Field to take on the Atlanta Braves.

The winners of this one off game then go into the post season.
So know it's the home straight, and the race is on to find the 2 teams that are the best in there respective conferences and who will go up for the world series, to be crowned the best team of 2012.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships Empty Re: OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships

Post by Dave. Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:09 pm

And we're off.....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships Empty Re: OCTOBER- wildcards, post season, Championships

Post by Luke Fri 05 Oct 2012, 10:42 pm

And there's the first home run of this season's play off, David Ross of Atlanta that puts them 2-0 up.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 06 Oct 2012, 1:45 am

And afterwards despite some controversial calls, Atlanta defensive errors and leaving batters on base, cost them as ST LOUIS win 6-3.

So now the NL moves on to the play offs, best of 5 games. This will see Cincinnati against San Fransico starting tomorrow, and tonight's winners St Louis facing Washington starting on Sunday.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 06 Oct 2012, 12:14 pm

The AL also now moves on to the 5 games play offs, following Baltimore's 5-1 win against
Texas in the wildcard game.

The AL play off games now see's Oakland facing Detroit, with that series beginning tonight, and Baltimore now facing divisional rivals the New York Yankees starting tomorrow.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 07 Oct 2012, 3:23 am

I should have also added, that the make up of these 5 games series see one side at home for the first 2 games, and the final 3 games at the other teams stadium.
So the first 2 games in each series will take place at Comerica Park (Detroit). Camden Yards (Baltimore), AT&T park (San Francisco), and Busch stadium (St Louis).

The 1st game tonight has seen Detroit beat Oakland 3-1, so taking a 1-0 lead in that series.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 07 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

Cincinnati also take a 1-0 lead in there series against San Francisco, after beating them 5-2 last night.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 08 Oct 2012, 6:13 am

After last nights games, the series's now look,
In the AL;

Detroit take a 2-0 lead after beating Oakland 5-4, this series now moves to the Oakland Colisieum.
The Yankees take a 1-0 lead, after beating Baltimore 7-2.

In the NL;
Cincinnati take a 2-0 lead in there series, after stuffing San Francisco 9-0. This series now moves to Cincinnati.
Washington take a 1-0 lead, after beating St Louis 3-2.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 09 Oct 2012, 5:33 am

After tonight's games, The Orioles beat the Yankees 3-2, to tie the series at 1-1. This series now moves to New York for the final 3 games (if required).

In the other game, St Louis stuffed Washington 12-4, to also tie this series up at 1-1. They now move to Washington for the final 3 games, again if required.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 10 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

Last night's games saw, San Francisco beat Cincinnati 2-1, to pull a game back and now trail 2-1 in the series.
Oakland also pulled a game back in there series against Detroit to now trail 2-1, after winning 2-0.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 11 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

All the series's had a game last night, In the NL;
St Louis once again stuffed Washington, winning 8-0, to take a 2-1 series lead.
Meanwhile, San Francisco beat Cincinnati 8-3, to tie this series up at 2-2, taking it to a winner takes all final game.
Meanwhile over In the AL:
The Yankees beat Baltimore 3-2, to take a 2-1 lead.
And Oakland beat Detroit 4-3, to tie this up at 2-2, and also take this series to a winner takes all final game.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Oct 2012, 3:01 pm

Yankees look like they'll squeak through with some narrow wins. A-Rod is well out of sorts. Watched him a few times at the Jays and he seems to have dropped. Plenty there though, with Suzuki, Cano and Granderson

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 12 Oct 2012, 12:45 am

I'm not sure Seanusrrilius, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Winner from the A's/ Tigers series will get through, facing St Louis.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:30 am

I think the Orioles will win the DS now. I thought they were done for after Game 3, losing in that way and expected Game 4 to be a Yankee blowout. But they won in 13, think the momentum is with them now.

Can't call Game 5 of Nats/Cards.

Posey is the man! MVP for sure, and what a Grand Slam. Wonder if we'll eventually see Lincecum as a closer? Giants have the pitching, they're the side I'd fear in the postseason.

And the Tigers - Verlander is a big unit.

First time all 4 DS go to 5 games!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 12 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

We now have 2 sides through to the Championship games, following Detroit's 6-0 win against Oakland, and San Francisco's 6-4 win against Cincinnati means both these sides take there respective series 3-2.
The other 2 series are now tied at 2-2, following the Orioles & Washington's 2-1 wins.

Dave,
Agree about the Orioles, each time I've thought that's it, they won the game to stay alive. I think that Detroit have a good batting line up, though there pitching while okay can be got at, especially during the bridge. San Francisco could be dark horses, I didn't expect them to qualify after what happened to Cabrera, and even less when they lost the 2 home games against Cincinnati, but they keep find a way to win.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 12 Oct 2012, 6:43 pm

A-Rod will NOT start Game 5 tonight.

Thoughts? Must say it was gutsy for Giardi to pinch hit for him in Game 3. And I'm glad Ibanez made the move pay off (not happy with the result as I want Baltimore to win, but you have to applaud the guts!)

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:24 am

Very satisfactory for the NYY last night, Dave. CC was immense, as I said he needed to be.
Straight back at it this evening, Andy Pettitte on the mound.

Bad evening for the Baltimore/Washington area, though I crashed when the Cards went down 6 - 0, couldn't believe they'd come back, which of course they did.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 13 Oct 2012, 4:47 pm

I really hope the Cards don't win!

I'm sad for Baltimore, but they couldn't close out Game 3.

But the LCS's will be immense!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:10 am

And so now onto the championship games (which are the best if 7), after the Yankees 3-1 win against Baltimore they now face Detroit. With games 1&2 in New York along with 6&7 if required.
In the NL San Francisco will face St Louis after there 9-7 win against Washington, games 1&2,6&7 if required will be in San Francisco.

Dave
Agree that the A-Rod call was gutsy, but also think that it was required as he's been poor recently. You can't just keep picking him because of what he may do, or because he's a name.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:33 am

Well, he's playing tonight and just hit the first pitch to short stop with the bases juiced.
Back to the bench Rodriguez . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

Detroit take a 1-0 series lead, by winning last night's game 6-4.

Kiwi
I'm not sure why he was bought in last night, why Leyland changed a winning team, but now that Jeter's fractured his ankle think he will be in throughout now. But then again don't know why he sticking with Varlande closing either.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 14 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

Not sure what you mean there, tiger.

Imagine Rodriguez will play tonight, presumably Nix at short and Nunez back on the roster.
As a general rule, Girardi has packed his line-up with as many left-hand bats as possible to combat the predominantly right-handed Tiger pitching.

Valverde looked completely out of sorts last night, hope he stays as the closer as the Skanks were all over him.

It's going to be tough for both teams going at it again just 16 hrs after last night's events. Kuroda needs to be at his best, but it's beyond high time for Rodriguez, Cano, Swisher and Grandyman to start hitting so fingers crossed for a nice win tonight and go back to Detroit all square.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 15 Oct 2012, 12:40 am

Yankees robbed - who's paying these umps? Disgrace.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 15 Oct 2012, 1:42 am

Just got in from work so not sure what happened in tonight's game, other than Detroit won 3-0 to take a 2-0 series lead.

What I meant Kiwi was in last night's game I'd have kept the same side as game 5 against Baltimore, and try and ease A-Rod into some kind of form. But now Jeter's out, he will be needed more and has to really step up. Valverdi just looks like his confidence has gone, and he dosn't believe in his pitches at the moment.

Still feel the Yankees will take the series back to New York, but they really need to win the next one. Though I did say in an early post that I think the world series will be between Detroit & St Louis.!
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:48 pm

In the NL championship series, St Louis take a 1-0 lead by winning in San Francisco 6-4 last night.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 16 Oct 2012, 4:32 am

And the Giants fight back, winning 7-1 to level the series at 1-1. So now over to St Louis for the next 3 games.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 17 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

Detroit take a massive step towards the world series, by beating the Yankees 2-1, and taking a 3-0 lead.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 18 Oct 2012, 12:12 pm

Ridiculous postponement in Detroit last night - due to the "threat" of rai; certainly could have played the first two hours and probably longer.
Sure the fans loved that, but Girardi will like it even less as it torpedoes any plan he had to have CC pitch Game 7. If of course it goes that far.

Good news and bad news from St.Louis:
Good: They won.
Bad: They lost Beltran - will he be back, or is he done?
We'll find out today presumably.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Thu 18 Oct 2012, 4:02 pm

Apparently the Beltran injury is a day by day one and he could play in game 4 (bit risky in
my opinion), think that if St Louis win and take a 3-1 series lead, they'll rest him for game 5 possibly 6. If they lose could be interesting in how often do they risk him.

Kiwi,
What do you think to the rumours about A-Rod being traded, I know the Miami rumour is supposed to be a jokey conversation, but I do feel they will get rid of him if not this pre season then defiantly next.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Fri 19 Oct 2012, 5:21 am

And we have our 1st world series team, As Detroit beat the Yankees 8-1, to take the series 4-0.

In the NL championship series, St Louis take a 3-1 lead, after beating San Francisco 8-3.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 19 Oct 2012, 4:26 pm

Bad day at the office for New York, went down without so much as a whimper.

No real preference going forward except the traditionalist's opinion that it's great to have it come down between three old-established franchises. But the City of Detroit could certainly use the revenue and good press that would come from a World Series win.

Tiger: I'm no fan of A-Rod, and certainly not the A-Rod who turned up in pin-stripes. I don't think he's been a "money" player ever since he came to New York - not so sure he ever really was in Seattle and Texas either. He racks up (or at least he used to) huge numbers, but seldom in game-winning situations. He's a fine third baseman, but I wished he'd gone to Boston instead of New York and still wish he'd done so.

As for him being traded: Who would want him, unless the Yanks picked up 75% of his salary. He comes across as a miserable, brooding figure which is magnified when the leadership presence of Jeter is sadly absent.

Consensus seems to be that Swisher is out and, possibly, Russell Martin and Soriano as well. No real strong opinions on that but all would need to be replaced, preferably from the "farm".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 19 Oct 2012, 7:17 pm

Martin's been good for you, no?

Really hope the Giants come back to win 4-3.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 19 Oct 2012, 7:26 pm

Dave,
I like Russell Martin but his batting average this year has been around the Mendoza (I saw Mendoza play several times!) Line and his catching has been very good but not great. Not yet thirty but has lots of miles on him, looks close to forty.
I'd think the Yankees would like to upgrade the position if they possibly could.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 19 Oct 2012, 7:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Dave,
I like Russell Martin but his batting average this year has been around the Mendoza (I saw Mendoza play several times!) Line and his catching has been very good but not great. Not yet thirty but has lots of miles on him, looks close to forty.
I'd think the Yankees would like to upgrade the position if they possibly could.

Martin is a decent hitter though. Twenty plus HR for the season, although his average did drop to about .210 by the end. Yankees will make big changes in off season after the way they dissipated over the last few weeks

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:05 pm

Sean,
Martin's average didn't "drop to about .210 by the end", it rose; well below .200 most of the season.

I doubt the Yanks will make BIG changes; the guys who let them down in the post-season, apart from A-Rod, are players like Cano and Granderson and I'd doubt they're going anywhere.

One would hope they'll re-sign Kuroda and the pitching rotation will be pretty well set, the bullpen too (tho' likely goodbye to Derek Lowe, Freddy Garcia and Soriano. ? against Novo, but they'll hope Phelps grows in to a starter and they have Feliciano to come back (maybe) and Pineda.

I'd think they'll ink Ibanez for another year but let Chavez, Jones and McGehee go.

Provided Jeter and Mo return to health, and with a question mark over Rodriguez, their team is pretty well set, just a top-rank catcher to add.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 19 Oct 2012, 9:27 pm

We could have done with Kuroda this season. A real warrior!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 20 Oct 2012, 1:25 am

Apparently A-Rod has said that he will be at the Yankees next year. I'm not sure weather that's a good or bad thing, as Kiwi says he's never really performed for the Yankees, and given the money he's on think it could be better used. But this post season and benchings could be the kick up the arse he needs. Kiwi also agree about who could afford him, the only team off the top of my head would be the Dodgers, but would they want him, and I'm not sure that they need him.

As for who wins the world series, I'd sort of like to see Detroit do it.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat 20 Oct 2012, 11:38 am

San Francisco win 5-0, to claw a game back in the NL championship.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 20 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

Baseball has the best playoffs, no?

Love the early evening weekday DS/LCS games.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 22 Oct 2012, 12:13 pm

San Francisco tie up the NL series at 3-3, after beating St Louis 6-1. Setting up a winner takes all game 7 tonight to devide the NL team In the world series.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

Dave,
The only problem with baseball playoffs is the games starting so late, 8.07 p.m. EDT for us plus interminable Fox commercials, and incompatible with getting up at 5.00 a.m.

Should be a cracker tonight though - meanwhile the Detroits have had time to go on a Caribbean cruise. Double-edged sword, they've been able to get their pitching rotation set, rested aching bodies, and got Valverde's brain surgery taken care of, but have almost certainly gathered some rust.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:04 pm

And we have the NL team in the world series, as the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS complete there come back from 3-1 down, to take the series 4-3 after winning 9-0 last night.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:11 pm

Well done G-Men. All set for an awesome series!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down