The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum Requests/Help & Rules

+2
Davie
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

Forum Requests/Help & Rules Empty Forum Requests/Help & Rules

Post by Guest Mon 31 Jan 2011, 5:06 pm

Hello!

I am thinking it would be useful to our members if there was a dedicated board for forum requests/help - where they can interact directly with an admin/moderator or other helpful forum user. It would probably be best to change the name of the 'Alert a moderator' section to a general help section perhaps and let people know that it is a multi-purpose area?

Another thing - there is no section or at least a sticky thread for the forum rules (as far as I can tell). If one is created, please can it include a notice to all forum users to tag their thread titles with 'NSFW' (not safe for work) if the content could cause problems in the work place (assuming what is allowed and what is not) - back to rules.

Back to top Go down

Forum Requests/Help & Rules Empty Re: Forum Requests/Help & Rules

Post by Adam D Mon 31 Jan 2011, 5:23 pm

No images or avatars are allowed on this forum for that very reason - it is always and will always be safe for work.

Anyone posting something or attempting to post something otherwise will be banned.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:11 pm

Diamond Dust wrote:It would probably be best to change the name of the 'Alert a moderator' section to a general help section perhaps and let people know that it is a multi-purpose area?

As I understand it, the "alert a moderator" thread is for ... ummm ... alerting a moderator. i.e. to bring to the attention of a moderator when someone has overstepped the mark on a thread. It's not there to ask questions or make suggestions. I think the clue is in the name

Questions and suggestions have their own place elsewhere - please keep the "alert a moderator" thread for just that

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:35 pm

I disagree entirely, unless of course you create a separate sub-forum for help/assistance (which isn't the case looking now at the 'Alert a mod' board).

The point is to bring together the moderators and forum users for the purpose of helping other forum users. If a complaint needs to be made it can be done in the same sub-section of the board as a request for help. The moderators, despite their hallowed omnipotence (Hobo Wink ) aren't going to always be around. If a basic request can be answered by a member of the 'public' so to speak, then so be it. It encourages people to help each other and make the forum overall a more friendly place. It also allows the powers that be tout for potential future mods/admins based on how helpful they are.

You have to understand that this is not 606. The forum doesn't operate like 606 and the post referral system to a moderator also works differently. phpBB forums rely on very well interwoven communities in order to prevent problematic posts/posters, help requests, advice and guidance from other users. Moderators can not be held entirely responsible for this job alone in communities like this because of the forum format - they depend on other users to provide assistance.

Just a further point for Hobo and the other admin/mod team - the sub forum descriptive remains the same.

If you wish to raise an issue with a moderator please do so here and we shall endeavor to address it as soon as possible.

Perhaps including something about community wide help/forum requests/assistance would be appropriate might be useful. :love:

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:44 pm

Diamond Dust wrote:I disagree entirely

Which part do you disagree with? Alert a moderator means just that. Not Ask a moderator. Not help me please Mr Moderator. It's Alert a moderator for a good reason.

Anyone can create a new thread asking for help in how to do something

When I got home from work tonight, the first thing I looked at was Alert a moderator. Just in case there was some urgent issue needing attention to.

Ask a moderator (or any other user) would be dealt with in all good time. Alert implies importance

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Jan 2011, 8:55 pm

Alerting a moderator can be done by clicking the 'Report an abuse' button in the bottom right hand corner of any page you are browsing here for more serious issues that a user may not wish to post publicly. That sends a direct email to an admin/moderator regarding an issue a person has on the forums. The point is, there's not always someone around to reply with so few admins/mods when compared to 606.

Anyone can create a new thread on asking how to do something - but where exactly? What I'm talking about is an entire FAQ/Help/Speak to a moderator centre as opposed to just an 'Alert a moderator' section. The sub-forum title has already been changed anyway, it just needs a better descriptive below it to notify users that that is the place they can contact/inform the powers that be of any issues/requests. More serious posts/concerns aren't always something that should be posted publicly, and of course, a moderator or admin should be contacted directly.

Appreciate you pointing things out in bold text so I could understand too....

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 31 Jan 2011, 9:05 pm

Diamond Dust wrote:The point is, there's not always someone around to reply with so few admins/mods when compared to 606.

In the time I've been signed up here, I've rarely seen a moment when there hasn't been at least one moderator around. Would you care to point out a prolonged period when there has been no moderator around?

Diamond Dust wrote:Appreciate you pointing things out in bold text so I could understand too....

Always glad to help. I find it helps to point some things out to people who don't comprehend too well

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 31 Jan 2011, 9:16 pm

Davie, whilst you seem to be getting a little uppety here, let me just ask you to relax please. I'm not here to get into a forum based flame war. We're trying to be constructive and productive for the sake of the forum and I would rather be pro-active than reactive.

Whilst there's been plenty of moderator activity since the board was created, in due time, when (and if this forum has any aspirations of acquiring even a 20th of active users on the BBC boards) it will require more attention from staff members in order to keep it functioning to a standard that keeps it 'safe for work'. As such there will be a greater requirement for 'help' from users for varying users due to the simple fact that there are lots of users. There needs to be a clearly stated help centre - that includes forum requests/help/assistance/mod alerts and whatever else people ask for when you put a few thousand people together.

The last comment of yours seems to insinuate that I have a difficulty in comprehending written text - that isn't the case, and so referring back to my point above about being constructive and productive, let's forget about any sort of verbal conflict and move on in a polite and civilized manner please?

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 31 Jan 2011, 9:27 pm

You are both right - in time we will need more moderators but also at the moment things are fine.

The Top section has been changed now to reflect your point but as Davie quite rightly said, the Alert a Moderator thread should be used for just that.

I have added a help thread but this also doesnt mean that other threads cant be posted in this section by forum members.

This thread has been useful in my opinion as it has shown that we still need to improve things but also that the moderators we have understand exactly what the policies in place are and what we are trying to do thumbsup

thanks for your posts Davie and DD

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:27 am

Hi. Could you please change the default options on posting? It would be better if posters were able to select to be mailed if there was a comment made on a thread they posted instead of it being a default option that you have to deselect.

Sorry to be a pain in the jacksy but it is really annoying to open up my mail and see so many 606v2 mails.

If you have already thought about this and there is already a way that i i have missed then sorry thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:31 am

in your settings (profile) you can switch off the email alert.

You may still get a few emails from previously commented threads but all new ones after you turn it off will receive no notification.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:31 am

Billy - the admins have been looking for a way to do this but until they solve it (if indeed it can be solved) you can fix your own situation by going to your profile and selecting "preferences". There you can turn off the default value of email notifications.

From your profile you can also check which threads you are already subscribed to and turn them off also thumbsup

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Feb 2011, 7:39 am

Nice one, thanks for that Davie. I will have a look thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:04 am

Billy,

At the bottom of the thread there is an option for 'Stop Watching This Thread', this will stop you receiving notifications.

To add further point, all 4 admins recieve emails should anyone post in the 'Alert a Moderator' thread and we do spend an awful lot of time monitoring. Just because we are not posting, doesn't mean we aren't watching! Very Happy

Also, if you have a matter that needs addressing privately, our Inboxes are always open and i'm sure that the moderators as well as the 4 admins will be happy to help with any complaint you have!

Cheers,

KB

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:08 am

just out of interest who are the 4 admins?

RocketAce

http://twitter.com/#!/Kris_Saunders1

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:10 am

Thanks K B but i am not sure what you mean about alerting a moderator? I have nothing to complain about nor do i have anything that needs to be discussed in PM.

Davie answered my question perfectly and i have done what he suggested and it has worked.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:12 am

Admin are:

Hero
King Beer
Enforcer
Hobo

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:28 am

Hobo wrote:Admin are:

Hero
King Beer
Enforcer
Hobo

i knew the first 2 were admin thumbsup

could i sugest these 4 have a slightly different color of their usernames to make them more recognizable

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Feb 2011, 9:56 am

done

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:04 am

Hobo wrote:done

thats better :friend:

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:05 am

Hobo wrote:done

You should have made it orange. Purely to annoy Dex :606laugh:

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:06 am

eirebilly wrote:Thanks K B but i am not sure what you mean about alerting a moderator? I have nothing to complain about nor do i have anything that needs to be discussed in PM.

Davie answered my question perfectly and i have done what he suggested and it has worked.

Billy,

Mine were suggestions should you ever feel the need to contact us in the future! thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:07 am

What was that Dark Blue only member.

All hail your green gods.

(although on reflection, Hail and green together might have some strange connotations for some people Shocked )

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:10 am

Hobo wrote:What was that Dark Blue only member.

All hail your green gods.

Hail! Hail! Shocked

Hobo is the king king

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaiser Fri 11 Feb 2011, 10:30 am

green is certainly better thatn the light blue you had 20 minutes ago that hurt the eyes on a friday morning :606laugh:

Kaiser

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:22 pm

Just a suggestion,

the "reply" and "new topic" buttons are abit close together and i have accidently clicked on the wrong one a few times... could they be moved?

When reading a thread its the reply botton that needs to be mainly accessed.

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:26 pm

i dont know if they can be Sirius, but if you click the wrong one, click 'back' on your internet browser and it will instantly take you to where you can click the correct one.

Back to top Go down

Post by RocketAce Sun 13 Feb 2011, 1:27 pm

Y I Man wrote:i dont know if they can be Sirius, but if you click the wrong one, click 'back' on your internet browser and it will instantly take you to where you can click the correct one.
yes had already done that thumbsup no worries if not, just thought id ask Very Happy

RocketAce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down