The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

your favourite amusing quotes from the sport

+16
Nico the gman
John Bloody Wayne
NathanDB10
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
RealDeal
Boxtthis
seanmichaels
superflyweight
azania
ShahenshahG
Mr Bounce
Snakeyman123
Rodney
Atila
rapidringsroad
BallchinianMuffwig
20 posters

Go down

your favourite amusing quotes from the sport Empty your favourite amusing quotes from the sport

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:19 am

Just reading an interview with Aaron Pryor on ringtv.craveonline.com where he's asked what he thinks Adrien Broner does well and he replied with- " He throws punches, and, to me, that's one of the best things that you can do."

.......................well i liked it anyway.
What are your most well remembered one-liners that made you snigger over the years in this sport? (its a slow night at work.)

Cheers!

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

your favourite amusing quotes from the sport Empty Re: your favourite amusing quotes from the sport

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:54 am

Gerry Quarry when asked if he found Jack Bodell awkward with him being a southpaw answered "well he fell awkward". Mind you he did knock him out in the first round.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

your favourite amusing quotes from the sport Empty Re: your favourite amusing quotes from the sport

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:06 am

Alma I think you are refering to the quote where Ali claimed he could turn the light off and be in bed before it went dark.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 12 Oct 2012, 4:09 am

"Ding! Ali comes out to meet Frazier
But Frazier starts to retreat
If Frazier goes back any further
He'll wind up in a ringside seat

Ali swings to the left
Ali swings to the right
Look at the kid
Carry the fight

Frazier keeps backing
But there's not enough room
It's a matter of time
Then Ali lowers the boom

Now Ali lands to the right
What a beautiful swing!
And deposits Frazier
Clean out of the ring

Frazier's still rising
But the referee wears a frown
For he can't start counting
Till Frazier comes down

Now Frazier disappears from view
The crowd is getting frantic
But our radar stations have picked him up
He's somewhere over the Atlantic

Who would have thought that
When they came to the fight
That they would have witnessed
The launching of a coloured satellite!"

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 12 Oct 2012, 7:54 am

Joe Louis was portrayed as dumb, but as we know now he came out with some of the all time classic lines

When asked by a journalist why he didnt knock out a man who was verbaly abusive towards him:

"If you insult Carusso does he sing you aria?"

When asked whether Primo Carnera had been drugged prior to their encounter:

"Sure it was the knockout drops in my gloves"

Discussing with Muhammad Ali the outcome of a hypothetical fight between them:

"If you beat me in a dream kid you better wake up and apologise"

And the classic to Billy Conn "you can run but you cant hide"

Cheers Rodders

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Snakeyman123 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 8:10 am

Not particularly funny but love: Got any excuses tonight Roy?

Carl Froch sometime early in his career: 'Nearly got a bit lapsy daisy there'

Snakeyman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 12 Oct 2012, 8:58 am

Lewis showing his nastier side after the Klitschko fight:

"If he wants to carry on then I'll bust up the other side of his face!"

“Smokin’” Joe Frazier, talking to Ken Norton at a social gathering.
Frazier: "Hey man, what you been doing?"
Norton: "My wife just had a baby."
Frazier: "Congratulations! Whose baby is it?"

"I fought Sugar [Ray Robinson] so many times that I'm lucky I didn't get diabetes"
- Jake LaMotta

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:23 am

Frazier to Ali - "Your baby looks just like me."
Ali replies, "You callin' my kid ugly?"

Ali on Frazier, "The man's so ugly, everytime he cries, the tears turn round and run down the back of his head."

Ali on Golf, "I've never played but if I did, I'd be the Greatest."

Kell Brook commenting on a recent domestic fight, "This is going to be a real war of nutrition."

James Degale close to tears after being booed on his debut, "Tell 'em Frank!"

Frank Warren on Amir Khan pre Willie Limond, "Were looking at moving Amir towards a world title fight after this."

Frank Warren on Amir Khan post- Willie Limond (after being interviewed by Adam Smith) "Don't be ridiculous, he's nowhere near ready for a World title fight!"

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:31 am

Big george - My family weren't poor we were po' we couldnt afford the other O and R

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:33 am

Lennox Lewis after the MacCall KO. "I'll keep my chin up". No Lennox!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:36 am

Always liked the simplicity of Jack Dempsey's classic "I forgot to duck" when asked by his wife what had happened against Tunney.

Not a boxing quote but one of my favourite lines was by Jock Stein and was told to me by my dad.

Stein and the Rangers manager at the time (may have been Scott Symons) were being interviewed together on TV (the first time Celtic and Rangers managers had been interviewed together) a couple of days before a big Old Firm match.

It had all been friendly enough until the last question when they were both asked what they thought the score would be. The Rangers manager was fairly diplomatic and said it would be a tough game but that he thought Rangers would run out 2-1 winnners. When the interviewer turned to Stein he simply said - "only an idiot would try to predict the outcome of a football match".

I believe the modern term is "ZING"!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:41 am

Michael Grant being asked by the ring doctor if he knew what had just happened against Lennox lewis, "Evidently I just got knocked out."

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:43 am

Eubank to Toney: You are an ignorant man.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:54 am

The Ali one about the light-switch. I forget the exact quote

I love this one. He's got a goldmine of great quotes during that speech. Here's the link:

Spoiler:

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:00 am

DAVE667 wrote:Kell Brook commenting on a recent domestic fight, "This is going to be a real war of nutrition."

Brilliant

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by RealDeal Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:35 am

After destroying Clifford Etienne, in the post fight interview, Mike Tyson is asked about his sickness during the week leading up to the match.

"I broke my back"

"What do you mean by that?"

"My back is broken"

RealDeal

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 12 Oct 2012, 10:48 am

superflyweight wrote:Always liked the simplicity of Jack Dempsey's classic "I forgot to duck" when asked by his wife what had happened against Tunney.

Not a boxing quote but one of my favourite lines was by Jock Stein and was told to me by my dad.

Stein and the Rangers manager at the time (may have been Scott Symons) were being interviewed together on TV (the first time Celtic and Rangers managers had been interviewed together) a couple of days before a big Old Firm match.

It had all been friendly enough until the last question when they were both asked what they thought the score would be. The Rangers manager was fairly diplomatic and said it would be a tough game but that he thought Rangers would run out 2-1 winnners. When the interviewer turned to Stein he simply said - "only an idiot would try to predict the outcome of a football match".

I believe the modern term is "ZING"!

Again, not boxing, but Gordon Strachan, despite being an absolute prat of a man, has had some absolute classic one liners over the years

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there....

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
Strachan: "Velocity"

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Fri 12 Oct 2012, 3:31 pm

Anything Tex Cobb said.

"All I do is hit somebody in the mouth. It's a whole lot easier than working for a living. Don't make anything noble out of what I do." When asked how he viewed his boxing career.

"Sure, I'd love to fight him. But I have my price, twenty-five cents and a loose woman." On if he'd like to fight Gerry Cooney.

"You run for 45 minutes, you train for an hour and a half, and the rest of the time you just hang out and talk tough." On the typical day of a pro boxer.

"This fight will be the nastiest thing you'll ever see. I've been sober for six weeks, and that makes me vicious." On his upcoming fight with Michael Dokes.

"If you screw up in tennis, it's 15-love. If you screw up in boxing, it's your ass, darling!" On how tough fighting can be.

"I miss having bottle fatigue. Abstinence is for monks - not for me. This kind of life is really over-rated. I mean, I'm actually getting to sleep before I have breakfast." On keeping sober during training.

"I've always thought the greatest crime a man can do is take himself too seriously. I mean, something like fighting is pretty ridiculous to take seriously. What I do is hit people, I'm not promoting anything that is real or valuable." On how he looks at fighting for a living.

On the Larry Holmes fight, Cobb's biggest ever bout.

"No, Larry don't hit as hard as Earnie Shavers. No-one hits as hard as Shavers. If there was a fighter that hit harder than Shavers, I shoot him!"

"I wasn't talking to Holmes in there. Every time I felt like saying something to him I found it hard because he kept putting his left hand in my mouth."

"Hey, you're a white guy, do something about this!" To the ref in the Holmes fight.

"I'd have been more active in there, if only I'd been a little more sober."

"Let's party!" To Holmes as they touched gloves for round 15.

"I don't think his hands could take the abuse." On a possible rematch with Holmes.

And finally, three of Cobb's absolute gems.

"I can do my sport no greater service." On being informed that commentator Howard Cosell had hung up his mike after being so appalled at the one-sidedness of the Holmes-Cobb fight.

"Boxing writers are the only people out there who have less constructive jobs than what I do. I don't do nothing but hit people, and those mothers don't do nothing but write about what I do!"

"Yeah, I've been KO'd. Once. By a Mexican bantamweight. How come? Six of my buddies were swinging him around by the heels at the time."

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 12 Oct 2012, 9:38 pm

I was reading through this hopinh I'd be the one to spring Cobb on everyone. Someone always gets there first.

When Conn apparently asked Louis why he had to go and knock him out when he was so close to becoming heavyweight champ, Louis replied "I let you borrow the title for 13 rounds and you didn't know what to do with it."

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:51 am

I love Joe Frazier. He's been an original from day one. A few years back, Joe, Muhammad, and I did a video in England. After the taping, we were at a charity dinner with some of the royal family. They were serving lamb chops with mint jelly -- beautiful food. The waiter asked, "Can I get you anything else?" And Joe said, "I want some more green jelly." The waiter said, "Do you mean mint sauce?" And Joe said, "Same thing." And I thought, Some people put on a face for you and a face for someone else. But this man has only one face. "Same thing." If you understood what he said, why did you need to correct him?

Joe told me why he had that hate for Ali. Muhammad was calling him an Uncle Tom. Kids would go to school and taunt his children, and they'd come home and his wife would hear about it. What bothered Joe was that every morning he'd get up really early, when it was dark, to get the roadwork in. He always wore this big hood over his head when he ran. And he said, "Man, I don't want my wife thinking I'm peeping into people's windows." The point is, at the time, Joe didn't get what an Uncle Tom was. He hated Muhammad because he thought Ali was calling him a Peepin' Tom. If someone would have explained to Joe what an Uncle Tom was, he might not have ever hated Ali.
Read more: http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/wil0104foreman#ixzz29AQjjy9V

I laughed for hours after reading this Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm

Its george Foreman so you'd be right to take it with a pinch of salt but its funny nonetheless

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 13 Oct 2012, 12:51 pm

Howard Cosell to Carmen Basillio,I polled 10 boxing writers today and 9 of them think Robinson will win any comment.
Basillio 9 of them are wrong end of conversation.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:38 pm

I know what you mean, a man who got 5 mill in one fight and many millions over his career eclipsed his lifes earnigns with one 130 million dollar contract. He's a man who learned through his experiences.

George tapped into the one market that is almost universal - a love of good food and armed with the far reaching appeal of quality boxing just made it better. All he had to do was ensure that the qualityof the product was good and he'd be sorted. Then the rather sensible adjustment to the grill to drain the fat away plus the fact that it can cook a good steak in about 6 minutes - he hit the heights. Speaking of which - I was meant to order another one which was why I typed his name into google. I got sidetracked with his quotes and his second career highlights Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:43 pm

George didn't design it, shah, he just put his name to it. It was very nearly the Hulk Hogan grill before the makers decided on Foreman. Still made a packet, mind you.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 13 Oct 2012, 1:55 pm

I know he didnt design it - he just made sure it was a good quality item rather than throwing himself at their money, he said something about it that people who became millionaires overnight then found that the source of money had dried up didnt ever understand - and his sons didnt understand why he turned down some of the contracts because they were all about the money. He said integrity is the most priceless commodity to continuos business success as people think who can I trust before buying something. There was something surreal about pellet guns and squirrels but it was a well thought out and reasoned strategy.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 13 Oct 2012, 8:24 pm

My grill was in my kitchen when the whole room got burned to a cinder. It still works. Must be carved out Big George's own flesh.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:14 pm

Razor Rudduck: Theres 1 ting you aint got and dats class.

Mike Tyson: Ahh you're sweet, i'm gonna make you kiss me with those big lips.

?????????????????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Razor Rudduck: Theres 1 ting you aint got and dats class.

Mike Tyson: Ahh you're sweet, i'm gonna make you kiss me with those big lips.

?????????????????

He was supposedly one for forcing things was big Mike...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Sat 13 Oct 2012, 9:35 pm

Naz wasn't too flattering about Steve Robinson shortly before they met in 1995 :
' I thought Robinson looked very ordinary tonight but then he always does '

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:19 pm

I'm distracted watching boxing so can't think who said it but, I think it was Billy Conn vs Louis, where his corner tries to motivate him by saying "he's not laying a glove on you" and he replies "well, watch the ref then because somebody is hitting me"... or similar.

My other favourite is the airhostess that told Ali to put his seat belt on and he replied "superman don't need no seat belt"... and she replied "superman doesn't need to take a plane, he can fly. Now put your belt on".. or similar.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 13 Oct 2012, 11:55 pm

Put yo seatbelt on,

Superman dont need no seatbelt

Superman dont need no lane either Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down