The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is boxing you favourite sport?

+15
Scottrf
Mr Bounce
Valero's Conscience
Liam_Main
Sugar Boy Sweetie
eddyfightfan
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
sweet_pea
88Chris05
BALTIMORA
azania
HumanWindmill
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Lumbering_Jack
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is boxing you favourite sport? Empty Is boxing you favourite sport?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:32 pm

Two part question really. For me, boxing is not my favourite sport to watch. I am a Newcastle fan and have had a season ticket from the age of 16. I travel all over the county to watch them play. No better feeling than a local derby. In terms of training boxing is definately my favourite. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of boxing training, you feel as if you have acheived so much after a hard session. I am also into my weight training, but that is a vanity thing...

How about you guys...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Is boxing you favourite sport? Empty Re: Is boxing you favourite sport?

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 6:33 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Two part question really. For me, boxing is not my favourite sport to watch. I am a Newcastle fan and have had a season ticket from the age of 16. I travel all over the county to watch them play. No better feeling than a local derby. In terms of training boxing is definately my favourite. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of boxing training, you feel as if you have acheived so much after a hard session. I am also into my weight training, but that is a vanity thing...

How about you guys...

I had no idea you were a Newcastle fan. I might be more leniant on you in future.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:34 pm

King Beer wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Two part question really. For me, boxing is not my favourite sport to watch. I am a Newcastle fan and have had a season ticket from the age of 16. I travel all over the county to watch them play. No better feeling than a local derby. In terms of training boxing is definately my favourite. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of boxing training, you feel as if you have acheived so much after a hard session. I am also into my weight training, but that is a vanity thing...

How about you guys...

I had no idea you were a Newcastle fan. I might be more leniant on you in future.

Are you a fellow geordie?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 6:38 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
King Beer wrote:

How about you guys...

Are you a fellow geordie?

A geordie love in Is boxing you favourite sport? 531589 where are Ant and Dec?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 09 May 2011, 6:41 pm

It's boxing for me, Jack, and by a country mile.

As a kid I followed and played one or two other sports, but nothing ever came close to eclipsing my interest in the noble art.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 6:43 pm

Two part question really. For me, boxing is not my favourite sport to watch. I am a Newcastle fan and have had a season ticket from the age of 16. I travel all over the county to watch them play. No better feeling than a local derby. In terms of training boxing is definately my favourite. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of boxing training, you feel as if you have acheived so much after a hard session. I am also into my weight training, but that is a vanity thing

When I was younger I used to participate in both boxing and football but as I've got a bit older and my back pain has got worse I don't participate in either anymore. Only swimming now which is boring as hell.

I used to prefer footbal but being from Glasgow their is a lot os s**t that comes with the football up here and it put me off. Now I would much rather watch boxing than football my son also has more of an interest in boxing which means I have had an excuse to watch some recent classics regularly.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 May 2011, 6:43 pm

I think a good question would be:

Football World cup final - Brazil vs England/Scotland or whatever country

Wimbledon Final - Fed vs Nadal (or whichever dream matchup)

Rugby world cup final

HW fight - Tyson vs Ali or whatever dream fight

Lords Test match of final day of the Ashes in a decider

Or whatever sporting event you decide.

Which one will you choose?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Boxing is my favorite to watch just edging kickboxing mostly down to the consistency of more big & better fights. I also enjoy watching tennis & will admit to getting intrigued with weightlifting & sumo when its on.

Like yourself I find boxing/kickboxing training the best, there's so much involved whether its technique, sparring or conditioning & as you say there's a good feeling after because you have achieved & learnt something. Also a bit of a relief! Have played some badminton & used to enjoy tennis when I was in my teens. I also go running regularly.

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 09 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Yup. Football bores the pee out of me, F1 likewise...MOTO GO/superbikes I don't mind (more near the knuckle that F1)...but yeah, it's boxing for me. UFC doesn't even get a look in.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:46 pm

I'm actaully not that fussed about England. The 4-1 vicotry at the stadium of Poopie was the greatest day of my life by a million miles...

The old Ant and Dec joke kev .... Rolling Eyes

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 6:46 pm

I'm not a Geordie by birth but i've been a devoted Geordie follower for 16 years!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:I'm actaully not that fussed about England. The 4-1 vicotry at the stadium of Poopie was the greatest day of my life by a million miles...

Couldn't resist mate. Smile You owe me one.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:48 pm

King Beer wrote:I'm not a Geordie by birth but i've been a devoted Geordie follower for 16 years!

Nice one, does this mean I can behave like a dick as we have a common interest.... You going to the match on Sunday... 47quid for a ticket, disgsutingly priced.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:49 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:I'm actaully not that fussed about England. The 4-1 vicotry at the stadium of Poopie was the greatest day of my life by a million miles...

Couldn't resist mate. Smile You owe me one.

I cant think of a witty retort at the moment, partly due to my soft spot for the Scottish at the moment. Recently been to Edinburgh for a pretty decent weekend... All Scottish people are the same after all... Very Happy

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 6:50 pm

I'm just sports-mad in general, but boxing does take top spot in my eyes. After that, I literally love and closely follow a lot of other sports, in nearly as much detail. Football, tennis, rugby league, cricket, athletics, snooker.

Two notable exceptions. First off, Formula One. The height of boring, in my eyes, and I can't come to terms with it being considered a 'sport' either. Each to their own of course. Next up, golf. I'll have the odd glance, very briefly, if there's a major on, but I don't understand how it's become such a mega-money, watched-by-hundreds-of-millions sport. Not for me, just don't see it personally.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:53 pm

Agree Chris. F1 is only a notch up from Nascar IMO. As for golf, I get bored when the adverts come on the tele.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Mon 09 May 2011, 7:06 pm

boxing only sport i follow closely.
keep up to date with newcastle score (geordie through & through) and thats it
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 09 May 2011, 7:06 pm

You may as well watch scalectrix when watching F1. My brother is crazy about it and travels across europe to watch cars go round in circles.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 May 2011, 7:07 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
King Beer wrote:I'm not a Geordie by birth but i've been a devoted Geordie follower for 16 years!

Nice one, does this mean I can behave like a dick as we have a common interest.... You going to the match on Sunday... 47quid for a ticket, disgsutingly priced.

I got offered a ticket but cause of the price i turned it down, i'm always loathe to put money in Mike Ashley's pocket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 7:07 pm

azania wrote:You may as well watch scalectrix when watching F1. My brother is crazy about it and travels across europe to watch cars go round in circles.

Crazy man... The ring road will offer the same level of entertainment.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 7:21 pm

It's soccer not football....

Favorite sport is Baseball..............Red Sox forever......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 7:22 pm

Boxing for me by a good distance. Like other sports such as football, cricket and somewhat strangely baseball but boxing has always been number one. Is the only sport I buy and read books about mainly and is the only sport I make a conscious effort to attend.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 7:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's soccer not football....

Unfortunately not, Trussman. At least not in any country outside the good ol' U.S of A.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 7:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's soccer not football....

Just got back from the states Truss, got to attend my first game, went to see the Mets. Is a great sport to attend in person. Works so much better live than on TV

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 7:28 pm

The atmosphere is special isn't it.at a ball game...No malice..just a great day out for families.......

Old man didn't take us to Fenway park often but always loved it when he did.....

Seeing and analysing a ball thrown at you at 100+ mph and dispatching it is a rare skill ....

Glad you enjoyed it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 09 May 2011, 7:32 pm

yeah it is by quite a way, do like most other sports as well- including mma/ufc. rugby, horse racing, football, darts, snooker are all quality to.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon 09 May 2011, 7:57 pm

Football was always my first love, am a tottenham fan, used to go most weeks and have followed them over Europe, used to play myself to a reasonable standard til I left uni, have seen Juve play a fair bit too as they're my dads hometown side. In the last 4 years I've fallen out of love with the game a touch, most footballers irritate me, there's too much money and dissent in the game and the national teams a joke. The world cup and Rooney saga put me off this season altogether, only spurs CL run held my interest.

Boxing has become my sport of choice in the last 4 years now, in terms of buying boxing publications, going on boxing websites, making the effort to watch every bit of boxing I can - I don't put that much energy into following football - partly coz I don't have to as it's everywhere anyway, partly coz I don't want to as I'd rather keep up with boxing.

Am also a big snooker fan, enjoy the tennis, play a bit of squash and will watch F1, go to the gee gee's and do a lot of long distance running and personal training. Love sport but boxings no1 for me these days.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 8:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The atmosphere is special isn't it.at a ball game...No malice..just a great day out for families.......

Old man didn't take us to Fenway park often but always loved it when he did.....

Seeing and analysing a ball thrown at you at 100+ mph and dispatching it is a rare skill ....

Glad you enjoyed it..

It is football, English invented it, not Americans.

Also, Baseball is just an expensive game of rounders, never seen the point.

Football atmospheres are the greatest thing on earth, the more hostile the better as far as I am concerned.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 8:47 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The atmosphere is special isn't it.at a ball game...No malice..just a great day out for families.......

Glad you enjoyed it..

It is football, English invented it, not Americans.

Also, Baseball is just an expensive game of rounders, never seen the point.

Football atmospheres are the greatest thing on earth, the more hostile the better as far as I am concerned.

Totaly agree with that would love to go to Boca v River or Fenerbache v Galatasaray. Been to lots of old firm games and the atmosphere is unbeleivable.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 09 May 2011, 8:49 pm

Would be close between Footy (Newcastle),Boxing and Cricket.Cricket might just edge it for me.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 8:51 pm

Lumbering Jack sounds like a class act.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 8:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lumbering Jack sounds like a class act.

He's right though Truss the more hostile the atmosphere the better in football. Even the players agree.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 8:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Lumbering Jack sounds like a class act.

Come on Trussy, what red blooded male doesnt like a bit of hostility....

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 8:57 pm

As much as I hate the rubbish that comes with it the old firm atmosphere is very hostile and unbeleivable. You will get nothing like it in another sport. Not one for the family though.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 09 May 2011, 8:58 pm

It is for me followed by, but in no particular order Football, Darts and MMA.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 8:59 pm

prettyboykev wrote:As much as I hate the rubbish that comes with it the old firm atmosphere is very hostile and unbeleivable. You will get nothing like it in another sport. Not one for the family though.

Agree fully. The derby with the mackems is filled with 100 years of hatred. I plan my year around those two fixtures.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 9:01 pm

My mate is a Geordie and he took me a few years ago because I took him to an Old firm game. It was excellent. Like the old firm both sets of fans just sang all the way through.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:13 pm

We are more sophisticated in America....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:We are more sophisticated in America....

Or soft, depends on your view I suppose...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:15 pm

Bin Laden would probably disagree Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bin Laden would probably disagree Wink

It only took 10 years, real good job...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 9:20 pm

Got to stick up for Truss having attended exactly one game of baseball am hardly an expert but it was refreshing to attend a major sport with virtually no police presence and with fans from both sides sat together enjoying the game, having a drink with not even the slightest hint of trouble. Call me wet if you want but will not be convinced that is not how things should be.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 09 May 2011, 9:20 pm

Rugby Union for me. I played (quite poorly) at school and for some reason just really liked it despite being rubbish! Watched it intently ever since.

Watch the big fights whenever I can and also follow F1. Mrs Bounce knows not to disturb me during title fights, 6 Nations & RWC, England International Matches and F1 races.

I have no time for Golf, Football (or soccer, Truss!) or cricket. thumbsup

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:21 pm

You don't like Americans do you.....

Gratitude for the amount of times we've bailed you out kiddo...

Momma must have told you "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" mad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:22 pm

rowley wrote:Got to stick up for Truss having attended exactly one game of baseball am hardly an expert but it was refreshing to attend a major sport with virtually no police presence and with fans from both sides sat together enjoying the game, having a drink with not even the slightest hint of trouble. Call me wet if you want but will not be convinced that is not how things should be.

I can see the appeal with that, dont get me wrong. Just something very animalistic about a hostile environment.

Then again, im young. Im sure i'll grow out of it... boxing

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:23 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You don't like Americans do you.....

Gratitude for the amount of times we've bailed you out kiddo...

Momma must have told you "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" mad

You must be so grateful to the Chinese then?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:24 pm

I dont have a problem with Americans, find some a bit obnoxious...

If it is such a great country, how come you left?

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:26 pm

I am I love chicken chow mein.....

We have a better human rights record though..

Rowley is right....calm atmosphere where people don't f and Jeff in front of litttle children is to be admired....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 9:26 pm

I'm an old man and get sick of going football and sporting events over here and only being able to go to certain pubs on the day, being unable to have a drink at your seat and being herded about like cattle because of a small element of morons. Have to say being able to sit in a ground with a beer in my hand just watching and enjoying a game was one hell of a pleasent change.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 9:28 pm

I find some obnoxious too......

Good and bad eggs everywhere......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next