The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is boxing you favourite sport?

+15
Scottrf
Mr Bounce
Valero's Conscience
Liam_Main
Sugar Boy Sweetie
eddyfightfan
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
sweet_pea
88Chris05
BALTIMORA
azania
HumanWindmill
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Lumbering_Jack
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is boxing you favourite sport? - Page 2 Empty Is boxing you favourite sport?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 6:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Two part question really. For me, boxing is not my favourite sport to watch. I am a Newcastle fan and have had a season ticket from the age of 16. I travel all over the county to watch them play. No better feeling than a local derby. In terms of training boxing is definately my favourite. Pretty much enjoy all aspects of boxing training, you feel as if you have acheived so much after a hard session. I am also into my weight training, but that is a vanity thing...

How about you guys...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Is boxing you favourite sport? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is boxing you favourite sport?

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:32 pm

rowley wrote:I'm an old man and get sick of going football and sporting events over here and only being able to go to certain pubs on the day, being unable to have a drink at your seat and being herded about like cattle because of a small element of morons. Have to say being able to sit in a ground with a beer in my hand just watching and enjoying a game was one hell of a pleasent change.

See I love all that Jeff, gets the heart pumping.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Is boxing you favourite sport? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is boxing you favourite sport?

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 May 2011, 9:50 pm

rowley wrote:Got to stick up for Truss having attended exactly one game of baseball am hardly an expert but it was refreshing to attend a major sport with virtually no police presence and with fans from both sides sat together enjoying the game, having a drink with not even the slightest hint of trouble. Call me wet if you want but will not be convinced that is not how things should be.
Sounds like you would like the Rugby crowd.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 09 May 2011, 9:55 pm

Scottrf wrote:
rowley wrote:Got to stick up for Truss having attended exactly one game of baseball am hardly an expert but it was refreshing to attend a major sport with virtually no police presence and with fans from both sides sat together enjoying the game, having a drink with not even the slightest hint of trouble. Call me wet if you want but will not be convinced that is not how things should be.
Sounds like you would like the Rugby crowd.

Just not what is actually happening on the field... Rolling Eyes

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 09 May 2011, 9:57 pm

Scott think I probably would unfortunately it's the sport I don't like. However can't accept the whole idea that rivalries have to be expressed in such threatening terms. will stick with baseball as it is what I was discussing initially but the rivalry between the red Sox and the Yankees is genuine and long running but can guarantee you could still go the games between the two with no problems whatsoever, which for me is absolutely how it should be

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 May 2011, 9:58 pm

Dunno, at least there is no play acting and they respect the officials. I was/am a football fan but getting more and more disillusioned about the antics surrounding it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:03 pm

I'll be honest Rob is a City fan and when I have taken the time to take him to Eastlands I've felt a bit uncomfortable with the chanting and expletives...

Don't know why as I'm sure he's just as bad in the playground... but I just find old men losing the plot over a game of football a bit sad really....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:04 pm

Scottrf wrote:Dunno, at least there is no play acting and they respect the officials. I was/am a football fan but getting more and more disillusioned about the antics surrounding it.

Pretty much how I see it. Was a season ticket holder down at Forest for every season since 1997/1998 until two years back, and while I still see a fair amount of games, the sport itself is going to pot. Being run by money-grabbing tyrants with little or no interest in the actual game, packed to the brim of cheating, moaning, greedy, prima donna toss pots on the pitch, and the yob element of the sport is ridiculous now. As it goes, I love a heated atmosphere, with plenty of chants and a lot of needle between the fans - but not an atmosphere which threatens or guarantees violence, to the point where that is actually more important to certain people in the crowd than what is going on in the game.

Assume you're talking about Union with that rugby reference, Scott, but will add too that the rugby league crowds are also much better than football ones in general, and I'm glad that rugby league is on the up, a stark contrast to football as far as I'm concerned.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:07 pm

Funny thing about Forest is that even though growing up in Roxbury I wasn't into soccer although I kept goal from time to time.....We had all heard of your Brian Clough...

What a legend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 09 May 2011, 10:07 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Dunno, at least there is no play acting and they respect the officials. I was/am a football fan but getting more and more disillusioned about the antics surrounding it.

Pretty much how I see it. Was a season ticket holder down at Forest for every season since 1997/1998 until two years back, and while I still see a fair amount of games, the sport itself is going to pot. Being run by money-grabbing tyrants with little or no interest in the actual game, packed to the brim of cheating, moaning, greedy, prima donna toss pots on the pitch, and the yob element of the sport is ridiculous now. As it goes, I love a heated atmosphere, with plenty of chants and a lot of needle between the fans - but not an atmosphere which threatens or guarantees violence, to the point where that is actually more important to certain people in the crowd than what is going on in the game.

Assume you're talking about Union with that rugby reference, Scott, but will add too that the rugby league crowds are also much better than football ones in general, and I'm glad that rugby league is on the up, a stark contrast to football as far as I'm concerned.

Football is as good as ever on and off the park You have teams like Barcelona and Spain. The violence is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 80's.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:10 pm

Actually before I came to England to live with my future Wife's family hooliganism was one of the reasons I thought twice about coming...

Turned out there wasn't any and my journey was a waste of time ha ha. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Funny thing about Forest is that even though growing up in Roxbury I wasn't into soccer although I kept goal from time to time.....We had all heard of your Brian Clough...

What a legend..

Indeed, just gutted that his glorious era was before my time. Not easy seeing the drivel Forest have been serving up over the last fifteen years when you're surrounded by old-timers telling you about the successful good old days! A few months after Cloughie died my (then) girlfriend bought me a huge framed picture montage of him for my seventeenth birthday, still hangs on the wall with pride!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:18 pm

From what I've heard about him it may be a good job he isn't around now..

The way Managers are hauled in front of the FA for giving opinions these days the guy would have been only able to afford to live in a tent!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 09 May 2011, 10:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:From what I've heard about him it may be a good job he isn't around now..

The way Managers are hauled in front of the FA for giving opinions these days the guy would have been only able to afford to live in a tent!!!

Think you're about right with that one, Truss. And while we're at it, that's another thing about football which annoys me these days.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 09 May 2011, 10:33 pm

Holloway still does a good job of saying what he thinks.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 12:08 am

He did mention a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't going to say what he thought of a decision because he wasn't willing to ive the FA anymore money.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 10 May 2011, 8:58 am

88Chris05 wrote:

Got to say I agree Chris as a Villa fan I have not come close to enduring what you have over the last few seasons but you're right about the game generally. Over the last few seasons we've had a great chairman and a top manager and actually breaking into ther top four or mounting a title challenge are impossibilities unless we are willing to carry a level of debt that is dangerously unsustainable as City have done. Makes you wonder what the point of following the game is, as call me overly senisble but kind of like to think clubs should be run properly, like any other business has to be rather than a competition as to who has the richest or daftest chairman.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 9:39 am

Even Liverpool who have generally been on of the better run clubs down the years (financially at least) still turned in a loss despite Fenway dumping £200 million into the coffers. Hopefully, with new sponsership deals and what have in the pipeline, things will turn around off the pitch in the same way they have on it. They seem to be doing OK so far.

Another blistering performance from the Reds last night. Suarez looks to have been a superb buy. Dalglish is getting the best out of Kuyt, Maxi, Spearing etc (who were all utter gash under Hodgson...as we the entire team really) and he seems to have breathed new life into Anfield.

Even if Holloway goes, hopefully we'll still have Mick McCarthy in the EPL. I do like Mick but then it's hard not to like the man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 9:52 am

DAVE667 wrote:Even Liverpool who have generally been on of the better run clubs down the years (financially at least) still turned in a loss despite Fenway dumping £200 million into the coffers. Hopefully, with new sponsership deals and what have in the pipeline, things will turn around off the pitch in the same way they have on it. They seem to be doing OK so far.

That's a joke right? Up until you got bought out your finances were a complete shambles and because RBS bailed you out the taxpayers had to foot the bill.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 10:03 am

King Beer wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Even Liverpool who have generally been on of the better run clubs down the years (financially at least) still turned in a loss despite Fenway dumping £200 million into the coffers. Hopefully, with new sponsership deals and what have in the pipeline, things will turn around off the pitch in the same way they have on it. They seem to be doing OK so far.

That's a joke right? Up until you got bought out your finances were a complete shambles and because RBS bailed you out the taxpayers had to foot the bill.
I'm talking about PRIOR to the H&G era!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 10:05 am

DAVE667 wrote:
King Beer wrote:

I'l let you off. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 10:08 am

King Beer wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
King Beer wrote:

I'l let you off. Very Happy
You're so kind...anyway, things appear to be on the mend but I won't count my chickens or allow myself to dream JUST YET! Anyway, what's 20 odd years between friends?

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 10 May 2011, 10:19 am

Boxing used to be a close 2nd behind cricket for me. Now it is probably a 3rd behind Rugby Union.

Too many controversies and lies, and all about the money - much like football these days
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue 10 May 2011, 10:38 am

boxing is by far my fave sport - the training behind it, watching the fights, the drama of the build up. used to train a bit myself and loved it, great work out and far more exciting than a gym session which i do now.

i play basketball too and love watching highlights or jordan/bryant etc, but watching a game bores me.

i play fantasy football and have an interest in it, but dont watch it on a regular basis.

also like watching a bit of snooker and darts. play a bit of darts too but im terrible, and genuinely have dartitis which is thought was rubbish until i got it.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 May 2011, 10:55 am

I would say that Boxing is either my 4th favourite behind Rugby, fooball and MMA

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 10 May 2011, 11:03 am

Haven't done anything in a boxing gym for years, so in an active sense it goes:

cricket > golf > rugby

Watching wise i won't tune into a football match and plan my day around it, hate the sport. Saw Pennant square up against some other tart at the weekend, was like "just effing hit him rather than be all gay and rub chests".

In a live in person sense rugby is my favourite as i find the boxing crowds a bit oikish and football-like nowadays. Was at Twickers for the Australia match and one never thought it possible to be so drunk by 5pm!

Still choose a megafight over anything though, although my interest is waning due to various mismatches and the mental disability of some here who make discussions impossible.

If you said World Cup in NZ or MP vs FMJ i'd be severly torn, probs 60-40 for the latter.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 11:24 am

Watching wise i won't tune into a football match and plan my day around it, hate the sport. Saw Pennant square up against some other tart at the weekend, was like "just effing hit him rather than be all gay and rub chests".
Well, given that he'd be sent off, banned for three games and more than likely get a fine, it's not rocket surgery or brain science to see why they don't punch lumps of out each other.

Whilst I'm not a fan of the play acting and diving that's infected football of late, we had Mosley bleating about minor head clashes every five minutes and the young African lad on the undercard who inexplicably quit after three rounds....if you want to talk about people behaving like "tarts" etc...oh yeah, and let's not forget Manny's "cramp" which seemed to be his only excuse for tactical ineptitude.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 10 May 2011, 11:31 am

Dave

Point is they posture and push like tarts. What would whacking someone get? A 5 match ban? Might as well do it properly and accept you're gonna get 2 games more. Or at least drop the "cant raise hands" rule as then they can at least throttle each other a la rugby. Saying that they'd collapse on the floor with an apparent crushed larynx... Until the other guy gets sent off then they're off the stretcher and amazingly sprinting 50 yards to chase an errant pass.

Personally i think they should herd all footballers into a stadium, shut the doors and drop in 500 hungry borderline starved lions.

And Mosley complaining about headbutts vs a footballer who doesn't even get touched yet rolls around on the floor like he's been tasered? Hmmm.

Can't wait for football to go bankrupt

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 11:35 am

What would whacking someone get? It'd get you arrested. Hard to deny it when it's on TV.

Seemed quite a bit of posturing on Saturday and precious little fighting going on...this from two guys actually paid several million dollars to fight, not to play football.

As for posturing and posing like tarts, I think those lions would be better off being released at Mayweather's house!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 11:38 am

Think when my Wife drops and becomes less temperamental I might take Robbie to Eastlands next year on a regular basis..

But first I'll need a skin head, a load of tattoos, a hoodie and a dictionary of expletives and sick chants...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 10 May 2011, 11:41 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Think when my Wife drops and becomes less temperamental I might take Robbie to Eastlands next year on a regular basis..

But first I'll need a skin head, a load of tattoos, a hoodie and a dictionary of expletives and sick chants...

Just ask Tyson to take your lad.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 10 May 2011, 11:41 am

As far as i can tell they're played to play football but spend most of the time rolling around on the floor and arguing with the ref.

Personally i think the refs should be armed with tasers and if any little gobby **** encroaches he gets to taser them.

Better still just poison every footballer in the country, over inflated egos and they think they're actually worth something.

I'd ban the sport if i were PM

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 11:41 am

You could always get your father-in-law to pay for a box for you!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 11:43 am

I'm around 6ft tall..don't need a box to watch the game 8)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm around 6ft tall..don't need a box to watch the game 8)
Around? Why don't you just say "shorter than" or "under"?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:20 pm

Around 6ft..............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:25 pm

OK shorty, whatever..............

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:35 pm

Got a top 20 thread that you might like to offer your astute intellectual insight on..

Instead of hiding on the non-boxing stuff..

Just a thought.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 10 May 2011, 12:35 pm

Why the hatred towards football Coxy, were you last pick as a child?

I do agree about the posturing however, but boxers can be guilty of the same, just as they can for play acting.

Watching Alexander whinge like a girl was just as bad as anything Ronaldo does.

Still think that you cant better a hostile atmosphere at a football match.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 12:37 pm

Coxy was the waterboy that's why he hates football.

WATERBOY!!!
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:39 pm

Coxy is a shadowy character...one minute he's single and obsessed by this girl he keeps seeing..the next he's happily married....

He's a box of contradictions..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:44 pm

I'm actually not bad at football to be honest, one of those natural sportsmen etc Wink

Just fallen out of love with it due to the whole demeanour of todays fans and pros. London has become a no-go (more so the tube) on match days now and if i ever bump into another footballer who assumes i should know who he is/should bow down to him i'll kick his ruddy head in.

And i suggest you goto Twickers, or the Millenium and witness a big Eng v Wales match. You don't need screaming abuse and personally abusive chants to create an amazing atmosphere. Plus you can drink beer and sit with oppo fans, we behave like proper human beings rather than sing rude songs and have to be segregated like naughty children.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Coxy is a shadowy character...one minute he's single and obsessed by this girl he keeps seeing..the next he's happily married....

He's a box of contradictions..

When have i said i'm married?!? If i refer to her as the missus i'm not literally saying she is Mrs Coxy, rather she is my lass etc

It's a generic term used to describe the other half.

Comprende?

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Got a top 20 thread that you might like to offer your astute intellectual insight on..

Instead of hiding on the non-boxing stuff..

Just a thought.
Yeah, only just...

Why so defensive about being so short TRUSSY?

Mind you, what with you being so overweight, I bet you look like an egg on legs so I'm not surprised really.

As for your top 20 list, I'm pleased you have Ricardo Lopez so high. Massively under-rated fighter and must resent the fact that little fighters like Manny have suddenly become the vogue!

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 12:48 pm

I've never liked rugby but the fans could teach football fans a lesson on behaviour and respect.
Violence around grounds and between football fans is much better than it was in the 80's.
I must admit though I do like a hot atmosphere at a game. Old firms are the best imo it's the rudey poo that goes on away from the game I hate.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 May 2011, 12:51 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I've never liked rugby but the fans could teach football fans a lesson on behaviour and respect.
Violence around grounds and between football fans is much better than it was in the 80's.
I must admit though I do like a hot atmosphere at a game. Old firms are the best imo it's the rudey poo that goes on away from the game I hate.
Rugby as a whole could teach football a lesson or two.

Wage capping, respect for the referee, the "sin bin" VIDEO REPLAYS!!!!!!!!!!! etc etc etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 10 May 2011, 12:52 pm

prettyboykev wrote:I've never liked rugby but the fans could teach football fans a lesson on behaviour and respect.

Na, I like being kept seperate and behaving "unhuman" as Coxy puts it. Makes the atmosphere more special.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 12:55 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

Na, I like being kept seperate and behaving "unhuman" as Coxy puts it. Makes the atmosphere more special.

Their is no sport in the world that creates atmosphere like football. The passion people have for their teams is unrivalled. Sometimes it spills over but not on many occasions anymore. Football fns sometimes don't be able to get rid ofthe name the hooligans in the 80's gave them.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 12:56 pm

I'm not short and i'm not overweight....

You're falling into the trap of stereotyping Americans......

It's a common problem with some Brits...

The uneducated variety...anyway

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 10 May 2011, 12:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I'm not short and i'm not overweight....

You're falling into the trap of stereotyping Americans......

It's a common problem with some Brits...

The uneducated variety...anyway

Nothing like a good stereotype eh?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 May 2011, 1:00 pm

Mine is an observation....I wasn't stereotyping per se.....

As I used the word "some" and didn't generalise...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next