The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10

4 posters

Go down

Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10 Empty Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:09 am

With Goosen out injured and after last night's Currie Cup semi-final action it must surely be Lambie or Jantjies chosen at 10 for the November internationals. And if Lambie doesn't get a look-in, he has to start wondering whether Meyer has something personal against him. Jantjies had an okay game, but Lambie was very good. He dominated Steyn all game long, and managed to get the Sharks backline going even in soaking wet conditions (which goes against any notion that Steyn should be chosen for the Boks because he'll do better in the wet NH fields, because he patently didn't do better in the wet)

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10 Empty Re: Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:24 am

The problem for Meyer is that goal kicking is an issue as well as flyhalf selection. Jantjies looked the most composed but that may have to do with his interesting pre-kick position. Unfortunately he was the least convincing in general play. Steyn also had problems with goal kicking in Dunedin and offers nothing on attack. So you'd hope Lambie gets it but it leaves the issue of who will kick the goals.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10 Empty Re: Who Will Meyer Choose for Bok no. 10

Post by Taylorman Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:38 am

Lambie should have been 10 all season with goosen not looked at until at least AIs and only then with some strong currie cup matches behind him.

That has been meyers worst call all year. Was going to ask how that game went. Next year id like to see goosen and lambie at 10 and 12 with jantes back up. Both steyns should go. Too inconsistent and old school.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

Lambie got 4 out of 6 on Saturday and the one's he missed were tricky ones....and if you've got Pienaar at no. 9 he'd be another kicking option!

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 21 Oct 2012, 9:46 am

Never said there weren't kicking options. Just who can stand up and perform consistently at test level with goal kicking. That was why M Steyn was held on for so long because he could at least kick the goals.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:19 am

Mr Fishpaste, Lambie actually got 5/7

When you compare Lambie and Morne Steyn from their performances last night there was no better assessment Meyer could have done.

The conditions were typically Europe, it was wet, cold and humid, the handling for both teams were difficult as the ball was slippery, the ground was not at it's best and has been waterlogged for the past few weeks due to consistent rain.

Lambie showed his full array of skills, attacking flat, handling the ball well, he got his backline on the attack for large parts of the game (even though promising moves ended in balls lost in contact etc), he varied his kicking from up and unders, to chip kicks (we would have scored a try from one if he wasn't tripped, if the referee didn't blow prematurely a try was scored anyway), he was calm under pressure and comparing this to Steyn who never varied his kicking, showed no enterprise, tried to run the ball but was cuaght in posession every time and had no control over the game.

The reality is it was a game where prudent kicking could have won the game, and considering that kicking is Morne's strength, he showed that it isn't.
the simple fact is Morne Steyn cannot read a game, his up and unders were handled by JP Pietersen, Lambie and Ludick with ease, and still he persisted with the same tactic.

He can kick to goal and that's it (well he used to be able to kick at goal)

Jantjies showed last night that he has promise, but even behind a scrum that pulverised the Western Province for most parts of the game, he folded under pressure.

It was clear that Western Province targeted him and put pressure on him most of the time and he didn't get a pass mark, specifically in the second half, his offloading game is probable the best in SA when it works, but a few no look passes and offloads meant the Lions struggled to build momentum.

There is no doubt in my mind, that Lambie who has now collected two man of the match performances in his last two outings must be the chosen fly half.

If Meyer doesn't select him as his number one, then I am sorry I will lose the last bit of faith I have in his abilities.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

Goose- lambie/ jantes/ lambie would bring a new dimension to SA rugby. The forwards they are developing will evolve into the force we all know and love about SA rugby.

But since 2010 SA havnt understood the importance of momentum and continuity. Under the old rules they achieved successfully with kicking to the corners, applying pressure and using their pack to intimidate, force errors and get over the line.

These days its gained by using the advantage gained by the forwards and when required using the creativity of the inside backs to maintain it, and quickly exploit the gains already made by the forwards.

M Steyn for 3 seasons has meant SA lack the continuity and struggle to maximise the gains made by standing deep, and kicking to no effect.

Goosen and lambie would provide that continuity by the bucketload. They're new school players and don't have the hangover from the pre 2010 bok side which seemed insistent on trying to regain that former glory and style at any cost- something that meyer unfortunately still subscribes to.

The image of the alberts et all feeding of the goosen lambie breaks is where SA need to be, then we'll all be in big trouble.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 21 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

Yep agree there biltong. I actually think lambie will end up at 12 but for tge AIs meyer will go with jantes but should have lambie at 12 at least.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:17 am

I wouldn't have a problem if Lambie play at 12, but this currie Cup has shown Lambie is a better fly half than Jantjies, and considering there are a good number of centers coming through, I want to see LAmbie at 10, the intentions of Meyer will be clear, if he doesn't see LAmbie as a 10 he will put him at 12 as a caretaker till Frans steyn comes back, and the results is he refuses to see Lambie as a ten.

That in my view is a big mistake.

Gosen and Lambie should be our 10's for the future, Jantjies needs more experience, he showed yesterday again he has a great offloading game and is a decent kicker, but he doesn't have the maturity, vision and control Lambie has yet.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Fishpaste Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

Biltong, in your wisdom, what do you think Meyer actually has against Lambie at 10? I can't seriously believe that Meyer actually has a personal problem with him: Meyer doesn't seem to be that kind of guy, and Lambie doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to be personally problematic. Some BlouBok fans say he's too small, but he's not that small, and it certainly doesn't affect his tackling (OK he doesn't knock them back a metre, but he always brings his man down)...what do you seriously think it is?

Mr Fishpaste

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 21 Oct 2012, 11:37 am

I have thought about this often and like you say Meyer doesn't seem to be a guy who would have something against Lambie personally.

But then you have to start asking questions.

OK, let's first get this out of the way. Lambie was injured mch of the Super XV and he was put at 15 for the Sharks. But I do understand why, Plumtree had Mcleod and Michalack who played most of the season, so Plumtree wanted the continuity.

Plus when Lambie got back from his injury had a very bad game (probably his worst ever) against the Chiefs in the final.

Lambie strikes me as someone who is similar to Pienaar, not confident or expressive enough to convince coaches where they want to play.

But now there is an opportunity for Lambie and he must use it.

Goosen is injured, Jantjies showed weaknesses in the last few weeks, Steyn is kak.

So he must now go to Meyer and say he wants to be the ten, not "I will play anywhere you need me, I want to be the ten"

If he can convince Meyer that he wants to be the ten, Meyer must give him an opportunity.

So in a sense I suspect, Lambie has not done himself any favours by saying he will play where he is needed, and I can understand Meyer being hesitant with a guy who didn't have a great Super XV, but Lambie has now showed him he is back in form and really the best solution for us.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down