The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paris Draw

+8
banbrotam
lydian
invisiblecoolers
socal1976
summerblues
Henman Bill
The Special Juan
bogbrush
12 posters

Go down

Paris Draw Empty Paris Draw

Post by bogbrush Sat 27 Oct 2012, 8:15 am

Nasty for Federer;

Nishikori
Berdych
Murray

Probable route to final.

Will it be played on soufflé like last year?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Paris Draw Empty Re: Paris Draw

Post by The Special Juan Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:06 pm

I've had a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_BNP_Paribas_Masters_%E2%80%93_Singles

Hoping Djokovic gets Raonic because I've never seen these 2 play each other. Seems poor Novak has all the big servers too; possibly Querrey, Raonic, Isner as his first 3 matches. For once there's no Tipsy in his half which makes a change. Federer v Nishikori might be a cracker.

What was wrong with last years court? I never saw Paris last year.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:55 pm

BB,

I think clearly all is not what it seems.

Federer drew Murray at the USO and now again in Paris while Novak continues to get cupcake after creamy, gooey cupcake.

If Roger gets Murray at the WTF as well then it will be confirmation of the involvement of the draw rigging committeee which wants to dispatch with the old guard to bring in the new guard and thus guarantee high viewing figures further into the future.

What say you Socal?

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Oct 2012, 12:56 pm

The court speed last year were an utter disgrace.

It was the slowest court all year.

They better speed it up somewhat or I shall have to pay Mr Forget a visit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 27 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

Djokovic has a bad draw if the court is fast, Querrey, Raonic and Del Potro/Isner. Of course of the big 3 he has the advantage of avoiding the other two.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 27 Oct 2012, 6:38 pm

emancipator wrote:Federer drew Murray at the USO and now again in Paris while Novak continues to get cupcake after creamy, gooey cupcake.
Not to forget Shanghai.

I do not want to take anything away from Nole but let's face it, he would not have been all but assured YE #1 spot had he not been given all these friedly draws.

Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 27 Oct 2012, 7:19 pm

emancipator wrote:BB,

Federer drew Murray at the USO and now again in Paris while Novak continues to get cupcake after creamy, gooey cupcake.

If Roger gets Murray at the WTF as well then it will be confirmation of the involvement of the draw rigging committeee which wants to dispatch with the old guard to bring in the new guard and thus guarantee high viewing figures further into the future.

What say you Socal?

ghost

emancipator

LOL emancipator, well considering that 5 times in a row when only 3 big 4 guys showed up at a tournament earlier this year that Novak got the other big 4 guy in his semi, my response is that it is about time that Novak got a few glutten free cupcakes. You know my affinity for said sweet delight. But your analysis about the machinations of the draw juicing alliance could be spot on, they may have decided that now is the time to feed some cupcakes to the young star, I will need more time to dissect the intricate pattern from my computer. But as soon as I have discerned the new pattern I will be sure to fill you in.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 27 Oct 2012, 9:25 pm

emancipator wrote:BB,

What say you Socal?

ghost

emancipator

GOD saved us, otherwise we would have had 100 threads with excuses for Nole's failure ,No Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 27 Oct 2012, 9:38 pm

You need to work to get over your unhealthy obsession with me IC, I foresee another tearful goodbye post in your future.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 27 Oct 2012, 9:41 pm

Atleast I don't whin for my fav players failure and cry for few days and make the day for those around me a miserable one.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 27 Oct 2012, 9:47 pm

Paris seems to change speed each year....ultra quick to ultra slow.
I've seen a lot of good quality players struggle in the qualification rounds so far this year so I reckon it's ultra slow again.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 28 Oct 2012, 4:29 am

lydian wrote:Paris seems to change speed each year....ultra quick to ultra slow.
I've seen a lot of good quality players struggle in the qualification rounds so far this year so I reckon it's ultra slow again.

Then it would make the tournament interesting, coz Fed a better indoor player but his closet rival now a better slow court player, so if they two make the final it would be interesting.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 28 Oct 2012, 1:57 pm

Arguably, Andy's "easiest' draw of the year - but that doesn't mean it's easy

If they both reach the QF, then if the real Tipsy turns up there could be problems

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 28 Oct 2012, 3:09 pm

banbrotam wrote:Arguably, Andy's "easiest' draw of the year - but that doesn't mean it's easy

If they both reach the QF, then if the real Tipsy turns up there could be problems

Tipsy has been very consistent of late, but not sure he has enough to trouble this Andy, unless Andy has an off day I don't see any other result than a easy st.sets, may be 7-5 6-4.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

Novak has some dangerous guys in his section as well and he has never been in the situation where he has to win to secure the number 1 ranking this late in a season. Nerves could play a role but I think the way he played in Asia well see him through in paris as well to the final.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:08 pm

My sources tell me Roger has pulled out.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

Good decision

There's non point sacrificing the wtf for Paris.

Fed is once again showing shrewd scheduling. The wtf is the last big one. He would love a seventh title there

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:21 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:My sources tell me Roger has pulled out.

It's on Wikipedia. Obviously doesn't make it true but....

The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:32 pm

No my sources close to Roger have confirmed it.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:34 pm

Geez IMBL do are you dating Mirka's hairstylist or something? Where do you come up with these close sources?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:My sources tell me Roger has pulled out.

It's on Wikipedia. Obviously doesn't make it true but....

If that is the case then by my estimation Novak is certain to be the year ending No.1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:38 pm

Yeah if Roger doesn't play paris he is out of the race for sure and it looks like it will be Novak as year end #1.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:49 pm

I hope he has informed the organisers in Paris.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:51 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I hope he has informed the organisers in Paris.

Laugh

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:52 pm

carrieg4 wrote:

Laugh

Wink
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 8:53 pm

My sources have informed me that his decision was only made today after his final with Del Potro, and he informed the organisers of the Paris Masters only a few hours ago. They understood his concerns, and hoped he would be able to participate in 2013.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:03 pm

Iif Fed has pulled out of Paris, does that mean that Novak actually is now YE#1?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:07 pm

Yes Djokovic is the YE hashtag 1.
Or so my sources tell me.

Congratulations to all Djokovic fans, this is the second time in two years Djokovic has achieved this, and has become the first Serbian to ever hold the YE no.1 this year.
clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:17 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Yes Djokovic is the YE hashtag 1.

Congratulations to all Djokovic fans, this is the second time in two years Djokovic has achieved this, and has become the first Serbian to ever hold the YE no.1 this year.
clap
Looks like Fed's withdrawal from Paris is confirmed.

Thanks IMBL. Not the circumstances I would have chosen but I'm really pleased Novak has managed back-to-back YE hashtag 1s. It's no mean feat.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:18 pm

emancipator wrote:Good decision

Fed is once again showing shrewd scheduling. The wtf is the last big one. He would love a seventh title there
He needs to drop out, he looked awful this week in Basel.

It's not a great year for tennis; Federer declining, Rafa in serious trouble, no young players looking like taking over.
Well done to Murray for improving, but he's the only one who did.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:31 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Yes Djokovic is the YE hashtag 1.

clap

Cheers IMBL me and murdoch will be tipping back some of scotland's finest in his honor when it becomes official you are more than welcome to join in, we Djokovic fans are an inclusive with our happiness. Back to back year end #1s is a great accomplishment it is one thing to get to the top another thing entirely to stay there. Nadal I am sure will have something to say about the #1 race next year good luck to him and his fans.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:44 pm

Federer was never going to go into WTF with it being his 3rd event running.
At leat a break will make WTF interesting. But to be honest the tennis landscape still feels 'thin' with the ongoing absence of Nadal and for whom a return will take ages to get to speed again, if indeed he can - 6/7 months is a long time out at the top for pros who train 3-4 hrs per day. I also watched Dolgo vs Ferrer and if this is our best 'young' (very nearly 24!) talent then it's despairing given a workmanlike near 30 yo broke him down. He's talented but too unreliable in tight spots.

Murray and Djokovic have a great opportunity coming up to share spoils, only Berdy I can viably see great cashing the party and I have him as dark horse for WTF12.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:47 pm

bogbrush wrote:

It's not a great year for tennis; Federer declining, Rafa in serious trouble, no young players looking like taking over.
Well this year Rafa was fantastic at FO, Fed showed his skill at Wimby; but it's the future I fear for. Anyway that's a thread for another day.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:53 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:

Well this year Rafa was fantastic at FO, Fed showed his skill at Wimby; but it's the future I fear for. Anyway that's a thread for another day.

I agree IMBL, if you look at it objectively I think a strong case can be made that 3 out of 4 members of the big 4 were better than they were last year. Nadal was untouchable earlier in the year and it took an almost fatal performance from Novak to beat him at AO 2012 and he was better in the clay seaon than he had ever been. Murray was clearly better, and federer as well played better and more consistently this year than he did in 2011. I think he has adjusted to a few different tactical wrinkles incorporated by Annacone and his game plan against his big rivals is better than it has ever been. Djokovic is the only guy off of 2011, even Del Po is better than he was in 2011. And Djoko hasn't been off by much either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:56 pm

Nadal was better... when he played.
Djokovic was worse, but still very very consistent.
Federer was better, on the whole.
Murray was better, especially mentally.

But what happens in the future if we are too reliant on Djokovic and Murray, and one of them gets injured. Anyway as I said that's another topic for another time Wink

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:05 pm

If the other top 3 were better in 2012 than 2011, given to weren't that far off Djokovic in 2011 it's probably no wonder we judge Novak as not as good as 2012. This game never stands still...what was the best 12 months ago can change a year on when the others raise their game.

Last edited by lydian on Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:06 pm

Del Po and Raonic have both become better as well and Tsonga and Berdy have stayed pretty consistent as has ferrer. So I think Murray or Djoko getting hurt will hopefully not completely destroy the competition. And of course we can't sleep on Nadal I think he will be back and will be in thick of it for all the major honors.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:07 pm

lydian wrote:If the other top 3 were better in 2012 than 2011, given to weren't that far off Djokovic in 2011 it's probably no wonder we judge Novak as not as good as 2012. This game never stands still...what was the best 12 months ago can change a year on when the others raise their game.

So do you agree Lydian that 3 of the top 4 and Del Po probably as well were better in 2012 than in 2011? What is your view on that specific point?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:11 pm

Yes I think most are playing better, and Nadal was leading the 2012 points race when he pulled out in June. In part I think Novak drove them on to become better...as 2010 Nadal did for Novak...as 2009 Federer did for Nadal...as 2008 Nadal did for Federer, etc, etc, etc....
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:16 pm

It's the unknown that is worrying people. We are in an odd situation where we don't know if two of the current top 4, who are legends in their own right, will even be playing this time next year.

But tennis moves on. When Sampras' decline began, who would have expected that someone even greater was just a year or two away?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:24 pm

But we saw Federer as someone of huge potential in 1999/2000...I don't see anyone even close to where Federer was then, now.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:34 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:It's the unknown that is worrying people. We are in an odd situation where we don't know if two of the current top 4, who are legends in their own right, will even be playing this time next year.

But tennis moves on. When Sampras' decline began, who would have expected that someone even greater was just a year or two away?

I agree with that, I think as we have been seeing Murray, Del Po, and Djoko are up to the challenge other greats will emerge but it takes time to replace a federer and frankly we might not see as accomplished a player for a very long time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:39 pm

lydian wrote:Yes I think most are playing better, and Nadal was leading the 2012 points race when he pulled out in June. In part I think Novak drove them on to become better...as 2010 Nadal did for Novak...as 2009 Federer did for Nadal...as 2008 Nadal did for Federer, etc, etc, etc....

I agree with that it the ferocity and how engaged all the top guys are in the battle that for me sets the current game apart, I know you don't see it that way. But we have been blessed with how consistent and focused at the top of the game, this hasn't always been the case on tour and I think it is welcome. I also think Roger has adapted to the new way he has to play and train and Annacone has been a huge success to help him the last two years. His gameplans recently in my mind have been the best he has ever had. In the past I don't really think fed thought very much about the other guy or had to.

Novak did shock Nadal and Murray's system and like the lead rider in the pack he forced the other two to take an already break kneck rate of work and commitment and take it up another notch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Hearing Djokovic isn't "on site" in Paris from Andrew Castle. His coach is watching Querrey though so I imagine everyone is expecting him to play.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down