The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basel

+13
Jahu
lydian
banbrotam
kemet
Silver
CaledonianCraig
bogbrush
socal1976
sirfredperry
laverfan
Henman Bill
The Special Juan
User 774433
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Basel - Page 2 Empty Basel

Post by Guest Sat 27 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello

Very Happy

I know discussing actual tennis matches is not really the thing to do on this forum but I thought I'd stick up a belated thread on Basel. You can also add your thoughts on Valencia if you want.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Basel - Page 2 Empty Re: Basel

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Socal, when Novak's number 1 ranking (hopefully) becomes official, I will certainly be on here in celebration, quite possibly with a wee measure of Macallan in my hand! It's been a long, frustrating year in many ways but #1 is great note to end on. My view is that 1 YE#1 is a hot streak, 2 YE #1s is a step toward some significance in tennis lore.

Dep Po - my 2nd favourite player I think. I love his power and his rock singer-style celebrations at USO are one of my highlights of the year!

Murdoch now that I know you are a Macallan fan as well as a djokovic fan well lets just say we are men cut from the same cut cloth. In honor of this post I am going to hit the 18 year old I got in the cabinet, not right now of course it is 2 in the afternoon, but when it becomes official we will share some Macallan together from half way around the world.

I agree with Del Po, he is part of the reason I am so enthused about the direction of the top guys on tour right now. As my own personal top 5 gets older and goes away del po could break into my top 5 as well but there are actually quite a few guys I like right now. Raonic will be special as well although I generally don't get into watching the big servers.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 28 Oct 2012, 9:44 pm

So, my Southern Californian / Iranian friend, it looks like it is official for year end! Over here it is 9:40 pm and the Macallan is poured! Mine is a 10 year old but you've been following our boy for longer, so you've earned those extra 8 years vintage!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm

Murdoch, cheers amigo I will join you tonight for sure, we will call it a transatlantic Macallan drinking relay, when you tap it will be my turn and I will carry the baton in honor of the 2 time world #1. Cheers to nitb as well wherever she is.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:15 pm

socal1976 wrote:Murdoch, cheers amigo I will join you tonight for sure, we will call it a transatlantic Macallan drinking relay, when you tap it will be my turn and I will carry the baton in honor of the 2 time world #1. Cheers to nitb as well wherever she is.

I need the 25-year old Macallan on the rocks with a dash of soda. The 25-yo is much smoother than either the 10- or the 18-. Wink

BTW, Nitb is on OurTenezForum. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:37 pm

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Murdoch, cheers amigo I will join you tonight for sure, we will call it a transatlantic Macallan drinking relay, when you tap it will be my turn and I will carry the baton in honor of the 2 time world #1. Cheers to nitb as well wherever she is.

I need the 25-year old Macallan on the rocks with a dash of soda. The 25-yo is much smoother than either the 10- or the 18-. Wink

BTW, Nitb is on OurTenezForum. Wink

Did Tenez really name the forum after himself? I didn't know that, I got hand it to the guy that is pretty funny, I know I have a warped sense of self imporance as well but you got a love his self belief. Laverfan, I already like you but now that you are part of the Macallan fan club as well you go further up in my esteem.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:38 pm

Please tell me its really our tennis forum and not our tenez forum and you were being funny, LF? Because I might loose control of my functions.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:44 pm

Socal, It's OurTennisForum.

Laverfan, what exactly are you doing?? Shocked

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 28 Oct 2012, 11:58 pm

socal1976 wrote:Please tell me its really our tennis forum and not our tenez forum and you were being funny, LF? Because I might loose control of my functions.

Yes, I was being facetious, SoCal.

socal1976 wrote:I already like you but now that you are part of the Macallan fan club as well you go further up in my esteem.

BTW, I love a good drink. Macallan's is my favourite. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the club. kiss

It Must Be Love wrote:Laverfan, what exactly are you doing?? Shocked

Just a bit of fun, no harm done to any egos. Hug

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:13 am

That was really funny Laverfan I like it, I try to be a comedian sometimes but you don't even try and you are the funniest of all.

Yes I love the Mac, we are so close he lets me call him that. I like scotch but most of the time the first sip of most hard alcohol tastes like crap then your pallet adjusts. But with the mac its buttery and smokey without being sweet. I can't stand sweet stuff, I take mac either on light rocks or with just a tad of room temp water or slightly chilled water. Lets consider it a difference of opinion how could you put soda in a 25 year old Mac?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 29 Oct 2012, 8:41 am

If you search for it on forumotion it is called "Tenez Tennis Forum". I find it almost amusing that despite, from what I've seen before, Laverfan getting called all sorts of insulting names on there she keeps plugging away, for what reason or purpose I have no idea! But shouldn't it have been called "Our Mutual Hate of Nadal" forum given that's the glue that binds them all?

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 9:50 am

Yes it's tagged as Tenez Tennis Forum.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

Seems to me to be effectively an offshoot of "Tennis Has A Steroid Problem" given that the largest threads on there by some distance are PEDs in Tennis and "Nadal is out for 2 months". The same old discussions Tenez was always PEDdling on BBC606. Some things never change.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:29 am

HM - In some ways, Djoko can be almost as happy with his 2012 as he was with 2011. Certainly, this was bound to be a difficult year for him as it was almost impossible for him to outdo the stellar efforts of 2011.
Well, he's gonna be the y-end number one, he's won a slam, got to the final of two others and been consistent and generally difficult to beat.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:32 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Yes it's tagged as Tenez Tennis Forum.

I thought Tenez & "The Serbian Woman" had been abducted by aliens but looks like they set up yet again after ja606 didn't take to them - never mind they have a few devotees on board but I am sure you will give them a run for their money being a Rafa fan lol

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 29 Oct 2012, 12:18 pm

lydian wrote:Seems to me to be effectively an offshoot of "Tennis Has A Steroid Problem" given that the largest threads on there by some distance are PEDs in Tennis and "Nadal is out for 2 months". The same old discussions Tenez was always PEDdling on BBC606. Some things never change.

THASP is worth a look these days as a blog to follow. It takes a serious look at doping in tennis and doens't focus on Nadal at all, not any more anyway.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 1:21 pm

@HB... The conspiratorial tone is what I have issues with. The anti-Nadal stance had put me off. There is an interesting interview which was pointed out to me by someone on OTF, of an ATP official named Richard Ings. It was much less emotional and very even and informative. I wish the rest of the commentary reflected the same even keel.

@Lydian.. It is sometimes a lot of grinding and gnashing of teeth. The name calling does not seem to bother me and does provide some comic relief. The us v them attitude is not what I would expect from fans of the sport, but to each his own.

@SoCal... Corruption of passion to the dark side is what I worries me. I hope fans continue to love the sport as a whole, despite their preferences of individual players.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 29 Oct 2012, 2:05 pm

Quite HB, took a look at it last week. That said, I wouldnt say it was an impartial site in that it does highlight Nadal's words or phrases nonetheless.

Guess what I meant was that the other forum still has a Nadal orientation and anti-bias. Anyway each to their own.

LF...you know what those guys are like, they'll sl@g you off to the hilt becaseu you dont agree with them. Personally I couldnt be bothered arguing with them as you do. 10/10 for effort.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

I wonder what kind of welcome I would receive, call me a masochist, but I wouldn't mind visiting to just say hello to them and see what they are saying on OurTenezForum. I can't see why anyone would have it out for Laverfan, I have always found LF to be the most patient and least aggressive of posters. I myself am one of the least patient and most aggressive posters so I should know.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:11 pm

Could Delpo get to #4 next year, relatively early whilst Nadal's points are ebbing away? I don't know how many points he's defending before Roland Garros. It could make an interesting three-horse race between them and Ferrer, before Nadal starts gaining points outright in the second half of the year.

He's a credit to the sport - have always admired how he handled himself, both in victory and defeat. Ever since 2009 at the US Open (very gracious) and RG (tough 5 set loss to Fed, but he was magnanimous in the extreme), I've thought highly of him. Really hope he carries his form through to the WTF and beyond, he deserves a ranking befitting his work ethic and talent.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:19 pm

I agree Silver, good post maybe 2013 will see Del Po make it a big 5 with more consistent results and better luck with injuries. I was so impressed with the way he held his poise after losing the second set to Federer. He has been a bit unlucky in big matches this year against the top 4 and in particular fed, but I think since his return this is the first top 4 win I can remember. So it will be a big win for his confidence against the top guys.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 29 Oct 2012, 4:56 pm

sirfredperry wrote:HM - In some ways, Djoko can be almost as happy with his 2012 as he was with 2011. Certainly, this was bound to be a difficult year for him as it was almost impossible for him to outdo the stellar efforts of 2011.
Well, he's gonna be the y-end number one, he's won a slam, got to the final of two others and been consistent and generally difficult to beat.
I quite agree!

If Novak does well at Paris and WTF, his YE points total may not be far behind 2011.

2011 had colossally high peaks but also a year end trough. 2012 hasn't had the same peaks but (thus far) has not had the trough either. As much I would have enjoyed to see the peaks again this year, I feel rather comforted by the consistency. It suggests a decent stint at the top of the game may well be on the cards.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:09 pm

Silver wrote:Could Delpo get to #4 next year, relatively early whilst Nadal's points are ebbing away? I don't know how many points he's defending before Roland Garros. It could make an interesting three-horse race between them and Ferrer, before Nadal starts gaining points outright in the second half of the year.

He's a credit to the sport - have always admired how he handled himself, both in victory and defeat. Ever since 2009 at the US Open (very gracious) and RG (tough 5 set loss to Fed, but he was magnanimous in the extreme), I've thought highly of him. Really hope he carries his form through to the WTF and beyond, he deserves a ranking befitting his work ethic and talent.

Yo Silver, Del Po is a gentleman in sport, he topping the chart would be gr8 for tennis, I a a big fan of him not just for his game, but like you mentioned the way he carries himself in win/loss situations. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:11 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:...Yo Silver...

Don't you mean Hi-Yo Silver?
(Sorry Silver, welcome to the forum.)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:28 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Oh we use Yo n YO in Cardiff [Capital of Wales] as a come slang replacement for Yes. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:32 pm

IC, you do remember the Lone Ranger, don't you?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:40 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:IC, you do remember the Lone Ranger, don't you?

You not talking about the Johny Depp movie right Very Happy , otherwise not much idea about it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:40 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:HM - In some ways, Djoko can be almost as happy with his 2012 as he was with 2011. Certainly, this was bound to be a difficult year for him as it was almost impossible for him to outdo the stellar efforts of 2011.
I quite agree!

If Novak does well at Paris and WTF, his YE points total may not be far behind 2011.

2011 had colossally high peaks but also a year end trough. 2012 hasn't had the same peaks but (thus far) has not had the trough either. As much I would have enjoyed to see the peaks again this year, I feel rather comforted by the consistency. It suggests a decent stint at the top of the game may well be on the cards.

Murdoch and Sirfred Novak was just a model of consistency. He played a lot of close matches and lost a lot of close sets and matches to the top guys this year that he didn't last year. A lot of closes matches this year and close sets against the best guys he didn't win, had some breaks go against him. But if you look at what he did against everyone else on tour it was remarkable. He lost one match to tipsy on a dodgey clay court, and one match to Isner. The Isner match, he won more total points and games, and lost his serve 1 time, lost two close tiebreakers. Other than that he has absolutely eviscerated the guys outside the top 4. Currently, he is on a streak of 5 straight finals.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:43 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

All hail, Julius the magnificient, Dictator for Life! (soon to be deified).

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:51 pm

Well explaining to kids not to do certain things is the duty of a mod in the forum like duty of the parent in real life, kids do call their parent a dictator but what they do is to the welfare of the kid which kids don't realize till they matured enough.

JHM is one of the best mods alongside LF, I don't think so many would disagree with me like in many other cases, NO? Wink

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:56 pm

I'm still upset socal said LF was the funniest Cry

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:57 pm

Of course I wouldn't disagree with any decision of the Dictator, otherwise off with their heads. I am kidding by the way julius.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm still upset socal said LF was the funniest Cry

come on Julius OurTenezForum is sheer comic genius and this is coming from a great artist like myself.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:21 pm

lydian wrote:If you search for it on forumotion it is called "Tenez Tennis Forum". I find it almost amusing that despite, from what I've seen before, Laverfan getting called all sorts of insulting names on there she keeps plugging away, for what reason or purpose I have no idea! But shouldn't it have been called "Our Mutual Hate of Nadal" forum given that's the glue that binds them all?

I would like to petition that we change this forum's name to Socal's fightclub, I am at least as delusionally self important as Tenez, if not more.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:25 pm

At least you are an honest poster which is more than can be said about a few ??? on this forum lol

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 6:37 pm

Thanks Sportslover, I appreciate the vote of support but lets just say I will for once skirt that controversial topic. I try to be honest, after living in psychotic dictatorship for 3 years filled with superstition and lies, I take truth and honest debate seriously.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 8:02 pm

Sportslover PM for you Ok!

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

socal1976 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I'm still upset socal said LF was the funniest Cry

come on Julius OurTenezForum is sheer comic genius and this is coming from a great artist like myself.

To me, JHM, the Marx in you stands out. I will gladly give you my Comic King hat, if I ever had it in the first place.

@Lydian... I am happy to make an effort. Many of the players will stay and retire as 'journeyman', but that is what makes the foundations of the pyramid that rises to the zenith. Two of the Top 4 have dedicated fans, the other two of the Top 4 get constantly derided, including one who won a slam for his country after 70+ years.

IMBL hangs out with me on OTF as well. I am glad for the company.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:14 pm

laverfan wrote:

IMBL hangs out with me on OTF as well. I am glad for the company.
Thanks LF Hug

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:16 pm

laverfan wrote:and does provide some comic relief. The us v them attitude is not what I would expect from fans of the sport, but to each his own.
Indeed Smile

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 29 Oct 2012, 11:46 pm

socal1976 wrote:... how could you put soda in a 25 year old Mac?

When I say soda, I am not referring to any carbonated and sweetened drink in the American sense (like Coke, Sprite, Mountain dew, ...), but it is just carbonated water in this sense - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonated_water

My apologies for the confusion. BTW, my father-in-law is the one who gave me a taste for Macallans, for which I will always be indebted to him.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:11 am

I find all this OTF talk a little weird...LF/IMBL are you trying to gain defections from here to there despite you both getting roundly derided over there? LF, I've lost count of the number of times Tenez (and NITB) has literally called you an idiot and yet you still avidly post there on his forum. Like I say, its a little weird to me.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

lydian wrote:I find all this OTF talk a little weird...LF/IMBL are you trying to gain defections from here to there despite you both getting roundly derided over there? LF, I've lost count of the number of times Tenez (and NITB) has literally called you an idiot and yet you still avidly post there on his forum. Like I say, its a little weird to me.

It may well seem LF is preaching to the un-converted, but I think she enjoys the debate and the challenges of reasoning. I admit I haven't been a fan of how they address her points and have said out about it. I am pretty sure they enjoyed the debate that LF poses as much as she might enjoy debating with them.

Sometimes a walk on the wild side would do wonders. It can get intense over there.

It has become slightly soft over here so sometimes maybe letting out some passion elsewhere might help refreshen opinion Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 30 Oct 2012, 10:55 am

Dont disagree with any of that, and I'm always up for debate...we dont want a "yes-man" forum here for sure. But forums ebb and flow...and every forum is only as 'good' as the posters and mix of posters on it. Passionate debate is fine and good...but in the past we see it nearly always overspill into fractions developing then bans, etc...its always a fine balance between healthy debate and personal comments spilling over.

I just find it odd that people continue to like a walk on the wild side, as you say, when they're the constant butt of innuendo/jokes/derision. That's almost sado-masochism!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:02 am

lydian wrote:Dont disagree with any of that, and I'm always up for debate...we dont want a "yes-man" forum here for sure. But forums ebb and flow...and every forum is only as 'good' as the posters and mix of posters on it. Passionate debate is fine and good...but in the past we see it nearly always overspill into fractions developing then bans, etc...its always a fine balance between healthy debate and personal comments spilling over.

I just find it odd that people continue to like a walk on the wild side, as you say, when they're the constant butt of innuendo/jokes/derision. That's almost sado-masochism!

Laugh

Well the thing is if a forum is looking to bolster numbers, the taunts and ridicule is there to be seen. If that is not the kind of forum people wish to join, their non-participation will be they're decision maker.

LF hasn't resorted to some of ridiculing and that speaks volumes of her as a person not changing her morals to the situation Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 30 Oct 2012, 11:07 am

sportslover wrote:At least you are an honest poster which is more than can be said about a few ??? on this forum lol
Probably a good idea to say what you mean there. Otherwise there could be unnecessary aggravation.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 30 Oct 2012, 1:08 pm

When I mentioned another forum I attracted moderator attention. What's going on here? Double standards, policy change, or change of moderator?

EDIT: Or it could be that you can mention other forums by name, but not post links?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2