The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The perfect punch

+6
BoxingFan88
azania
Valero's Conscience
Rowley
88Chris05
aja424
10 posters

Go down

The perfect punch Empty The perfect punch

Post by aja424 Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:40 am

Recently watched a documentary on sky sports, the nations premiere sports channel, about Sugar Ray Robinson, and was impressed with the KO of Fullmer, which was to be described, and still is, as the 'perfect punch'.
Couldn't agree more to be honest and watched it over and over again, even better that it was in HD.
Just wondering if it would be considered the 'perfect punch' if the opposition had been on a bit of a losing streak, an underdog or 'lamb to the slaughter' type of opponent who had been KO'd a fair few times previously?
No doubt about it the technique and timing was spot on, but at that time Fullner had never been stopped and was a tough opponent, was this a factor in this punch being described as 'perfect'?

aja424

Back to top Go down

The perfect punch Empty Re: The perfect punch

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

aja424 wrote:No doubt about it the technique and timing was spot on, but at that time Fullner had never been stopped and was a tough opponent, was this a factor in this punch being described as 'perfect'?

Absolutely, mate. One hundred percent. The aesthetics of the punch were blindingly obvious, but what makes it perhaps the greatest single punch in boxing history is that this kind of thing just wasn't supposed to happen to a guy like Fullmer, who had never been put away inside the distance and who could walk through just about any punch without flinching. It's a great example of why Robinson was the most complete fighter of his - and probably any - era.

A relative comparison would be Ali doing the same to Frazier - and that's something that I just can't fathom. That really is something to bear in mind, given Ali's own achievements, talents and place in boxing history.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:04 pm

What also needs to be added into the mix is Ray was towards the end of his career when he pulled this particular punch out of the bag, not only was this kind of thing not meant to happen to Fulmer but Ray was not meant to be capable of such a thing at the time he did it. Add it all into the mix and is hard to make a case for any punch comparing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Thats kind of what i was thinking, the punch although perfect, could probably be pulled of by an area champion if the match making was completely ridiculous.
To happen in a 50/50 fight to a tough fighter who doesn't (or didn't) get stopped was just awesome!

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Although it was a brilliant punch I don't think there is a single punch I could rate above all else but I understand the reasons for this one rating so high.

I also loved Benitez's KO punch on Hope.

In reference to recent fight I loved Martinez's on Williams. Granted Williams is not an ATG but he had an iron chin and he got KO'd in dramatic fashion.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 pm

The straight right Hearns flattened Duran with was simply a peach.

Not a single punch, but the combination Leonard KO'd Dave 'Boy' Green was simply awesome. Blindingly fast and ridiculously accurate. Caught him with a couple as he was going down.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 pm

You beat me to it, Az; Leonard's closing combination against Greene just oozed class and style.

Yep, he was nearly as sweet as the original Sugar Ray. Nearly, but not quite. Wink
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Hmmm. I sense some goading there. As you know, I have SRL as the sweeter version of the 2 sugars. Cool

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:48 pm

The one TRUSSMAN threw against that guy who was off his face on acid or something.

Howard Eastman's KO of Richard Williams (Howard knocked him out whilst walking backwards. Not many fighters possess that ability irrespective of the level of opposition)

Erik Morales v Angel Chacon

Shane Mosley v Adrian Stone

Corrie Sanders v Wlad

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Still love the Jones vs Griffin II uppercut, that would have knocked out just about anyone!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:47 pm

A scary example of what Jones was capable of when his blood was up, wasn't it BF88? The man was incredible when he was in full flow.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Curry's left hook on mcrory is a personal favourite, just sweet timing. I'm partial to a few from the Julian jackson highlight reel too... Especially the Norris ko.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:55 pm

Speaking of Roy, I'd offer up his left hook to the body which wrecked Glenn Wolfe, if only for the reason that Wolfe had been in with some very fine operators without ever being stopped or, in fact, ever being decked, either. It took Jones about ninety seconds to change that.

Jones' left hook, be it to the head or body, was one of the rarest delights in boxing during his pomp. Unstoppable for the most part.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 pm

His left hook against Virgil Hill was also a peach of a punch.

Lupe Pintor has many highlights throwing the left to the liver.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Mike McCallums left hook to knockout Don Curry was a perfect punch, he was never getting up from that one.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Frazier on Ali. How he got up within 3 I'll never know.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

How did Holmes get up from Shavers punch it would have felled an ox.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Holmes and Ali are a different breed of fighter which is the only explanation.

A personal favourite of mine is Mayweathers check hook on Hatton, made something incredibly difficult look so simple, not many could have delivered a punch like that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Keeping with the left hook theme, I'd offer up Donaire's against Montiel (not quite the fight finisher, but as good as) and also Bob Foster's left which took out Quarry, because each knockout actually contained some defensive craft, too. It's amazing how quickly Donaire takes the shimmy / half step backwards, gets away from Montiel's right and fires off his own left precisely at the point when Montiel was fully extended and at his most open.

I always think there was a lot more to Foster than just murderous punching. If you watch the Quarry knockout, you'll not how he actually catches and parries away a Quarry right and then uses that room he's created to get his own left hook off - and beJaysus, it couldn't have landed any cleaner than it did!

The only Light-Heavyweight I'd make a heavy favourite against Roy, seeing as he's featured on this thread a wee bit.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:25 pm

You could make a case for Foster against any Light-Heavyweight in history,when you think his fight with Chris Finnegan was Ring magazine fight of the year, its one helluva performance from Finnegan.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Zab Judahs uppercuts are beautifully executed.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 pm

I agree, Nico. I think if I was drawing up a list of Light-Heavies based on who beats who, Foster could only be second for me, behind Charles. Naturally, some might feel compelled to stick others (Tunney, Spinks etc) ahead of him because they had success north of 175 lb, but that weight just seemed to suit Foster so perfectly. There's a good chance he beats them all, I think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down