The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFC North Mid-season Report

4 posters

Go down

NFC North Mid-season Report Empty NFC North Mid-season Report

Post by Barney92 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:49 pm

NFC North

Chicago Bears 6-1 (1-1)
Minnesota Vikings 5-3 (1-0)
Green Bay Packers 5-3 (1-0)
Detroit Lions 3-4 (0-2)

QBs_________________Yards_____TDs____INTs____Sacks__Rating__Comp %

Jay Cutler_______________1545______9______8________25____78.9___58.1
Christian Ponder__________1743_____10______7________19____85.8___65.3
Aaron Rodgers___________ 2165_____21______4________28___107.9___69.0
Matthew Stafford_________2108______8______7________14____82.1___63.3

Rushing leaders__Attempts_____Yards____Average___TDs

Chicago
Matt Forte__________95__________436______4.6_______2
Michael Bush________64__________242______3.8_______3

Minnesota
Adrian Peterson_____151__________775______5.1_______4
Toby Gerhart________31__________108______3.5_______0
Christian Ponder_____24__________104______4.3________1

Green Bay
Cedric Benson_______71__________248______2.9________0
Alex Green__________76__________219______3.5________1

Detroit
Mikel Leshoure_______76_________305_______4.0________1
Joique Bell___________29_________116______3.9________1

Receivers__________Catches______Yards______TDs_______Average Yds

Chicago
Brandon Marshall_________50_________675________4___________13.5
Alshon Jeffrey___________14_________184________2___________13.1
Devin Hester____________11_________157________1___________14.3

Minnesota
Percy Harvin____________60_________667________3___________11.1
Michael Jenkins__________24_________287________1___________12.0
Kyle Rudolph____________27_________242________5___________9.0

Green Bay
Jordy Nelson____________40_________532________5___________13.3
Randall Cobb____________42_________463________4___________11.0
James Jones____________36_________401________7___________11.1
Jermichael Finley________28_________265________1____________9.5

Detroit
Calvin Johnson__________41_________638________1___________15.6
Titus Young____________26_________304________3___________11.7
Brandon Pettigrew_______38_________374________1___________9.8

Notable Defenders

Chicago
Julius Peppers 5.5 sacks
Lance Briggs 44 tackles
Tim Jennings 4 INTs
Major Wright 3 INTs

Minnesota
Jared Allen 7 sacks
Chad Greenway 81 tackles
Antoine Winfield 2 INTs

Green Bay
Clay Matthews 9 sacks
A.J. Hawk 62 tackles
Casey Heyward 4 INTs

Detroit
Cliff Avril 4.5 sacks
Stephen Tulloch 45 tackles

Chicago Bears

The main reason for Chicago’s excellent first half of the season is the defence. Not only have they conceded the fewest number of points but they also lead the league in interceptions (16) and have recorded the 3rd highest amount sacks (23). Their offensive stats aren’t as impressive. Cutler is the 23rd ranked QB and Forte is 14th in rushing. The 25 sacks given up by the O-Line haven’t helped both Forte and Cutler but as long of the defence can keep putting up points the Bears will be fine and should get a wildcard spot at the very least.

Minnesota Vikings

To say that their 5-3 record is all down to two men would be going too far as the whole team has improved greatly since last year. However their two standout performers have been Adrian Peterson, who leads the league in rushing, and Percy Harvin who leads the league in receptions (60). How Peterson has recovered so quickly is a mystery but the Vikings will hope for him to rush their way to the playoffs. Harvin, a threat rushing, receiving and returning, is probably the best all-purpose player in the NFL right now will have a major impact on whether this will be a playoff team come the new year. A solid defence lead by Jared Allen will not let this team down but will Peterson continue his rich vein of form with other defences focusing on the run? If Ponder can capitalise on teams focusing in on Peterson then this team will go far.

Green Bay Packers

This season has been a mixed bag for Green Bay. Good victories against the Bears and Saints early on were written off by losses to the Seahawks, 49ers and Colts. Then came the match against the Texans and the offense finally starting playing as well as we all knew it could. The following week against a good Rams defence the Packers once more performed well and got the victory. However a poor match against the Jaguars has left doubts over this team. Jennings is out for a long stretch, Nelson missed the last game and Woodson is out for a few more weeks. Injuries have begun to take their toll, with a number of starters out. Cobb is a better player with less attention being paid to him. Green Bay needs Rodgers to fire on all cylinders, especially given Benson’s injury, if they are to make the playoffs. Their defence has come a long way since last year’s debacle but they still don’t always come up with stops when needed, against Seattle and Indianapolis for example. A team with Rodgers and Matthews healthy though are always dangerous and should be in contention late in the season.

Detroit Lions

It has been such a disappointing start to the season for the Lions. It began in the offseason with a number of arrests. This team just doesn’t have the same explosiveness or fire that it did last season. Their two key players haven’t been as productive this year with Johnson struggling to get touchdowns and Stafford (ranked 22nd) not putting up the same kind of numbers as well. That was to be expected after such a phenomenal year last year but the lack of production for this team on offence is definitely a worry. The defence isn’t bad but isn’t going to win games for this team. It relies on its offence which hasn’t been good enough thus far.

Pick for the playoffs
Chicago and Green Bay
The Lions may have left it too late to start a comeback in the division and the Vikings seem to be stumbling midway through the season. However they could pick up a wildcard spot if results go their way. Green Bay seem to have an edge over Chicago in their matches against each other which is why I’m going for them to win the division and become 2nd seed with Chicago getting a wildcard. Neither teams O-line has been good this season but I think Green Bay has the weapons to overcome that whereas I think the Bears will falter if that defence can’t get the points on the board.

Last edited by Barney92 on Tue 30 Oct 2012, 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Aesthetics)

Barney92

Back to top Go down

NFC North Mid-season Report Empty Re: NFC North Mid-season Report

Post by Barney92 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 3:51 pm

Ah that's unfortunate, those stats didn't come out as planned. Had them all lined up nicely and everything. Ah well.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 30 Oct 2012, 5:32 pm

Nice. I think Chicago will just pip it at the end.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 30 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

Nice write up.

Can't believe A-Rods stats, twice as many TD's and half as few INTS...pretty impressive. If only Green Bay had a running game as well.

Being a cheeshead, i'd love to win the Div, but think the Pack will take a wildcard with the Bears top.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Tue 30 Oct 2012, 8:35 pm

Yeah, my bias shone a bit with my choice of the Packers but I also just have a feeling the Bears might drop a few games in the run.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 2:52 pm

Didn't realise Cutler had been that bad! Also, I think the Packers overall patchy performances this season have hidden the fact that Rodgers is having an excellent season, statswise at least. It's a funny division this one. Really hard to call. No team is without some glaring weaknesses here and there that could really scupper their chances of going deep into the postseason and yet they can all boast units in their team that are amongst the league's best, if not the best - the Bears D, the Packers passing game, the Vikings running game. If Detroit could get that passing game going that we know from last season can be awesome when it clicks then that could live with the Packers' passing game. This division is just so close to call but it will come down to the Bears and Pack. Minnesota will fall away and are destined for anything between 7-9 and 9-7 while Detroit look like a 7-9 lot to me just now. Just a question of who can win out in the end - Bears D or Packers O??? I'll go Bears D..... but I wouldn't bet a single penny on it!!

Nice article Barney - again, just like with MJ33's AFC North review - I left this article far better informed than when I entered it!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney92 Wed 31 Oct 2012, 5:44 pm

Cheers. I was surprised by Peterson's rushing stats. They are unreal for someone back so soon after such an injury. I also hadn't realised that Cobb's stats were as good as they are.

Barney92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down