The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MJ33's AFC North mid-term report

+2
crazy_dave23
CFCNick
6 posters

Go down

MJ33's AFC North mid-term report Empty MJ33's AFC North mid-term report

Post by CFCNick Sun 28 Oct - 22:37

Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at anything like this. Be gentle.

AFC North Standings

Baltimore Ravens 5-2 (2-0)
Pittsburgh Steelers 4-3 (1-0)
Cincinnati Bengals 3-4 (1-3)
Cleveland Browns 2-6 (1-2)

Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have looked almost every part the Super Bowl contenders they’re touted to be every year but this year without Suggs on defense for the first six weeks the offense has been the standout “wow” factor of this team, possibly for the first time in the franchise’s short history. Now with Lardarius Webb and Ray Lewis both done for the year the emphasis on offense performing well has to be stressed even further into the team by coach Harbough.

Despite the great start Joe Flacco is only ranked 20th amongst starting QBs with 1,837 yards, 59.5% comp. (150/252) and 9 TDs 6 INTs. Ray Rice also sits surprisingly low in 11th in rushing with 524 yards and 5 TDs on 106 carries.

The Ravens started the season, with four games in 17 days, in style crushing their division rival Cincinnati Bengals 44-13 at M&T Bank Stadium followed by a loss away to the Philadelphia Eagles but recovered with back to back primetime home wins vs the Patriots and Browns. They came crashing back down to Earth with a 43-13 mauling at the hands of the 6-1 Houston Texans, in which Suggs made his comeback, before their week 8 bye.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Pittsburgh started 2012 slow. They were clearly missing running back Rashard Mendenhall as they slumped to a 1-2 start including an opening night loss on SNF at Denver. Ben Roethlisberger has publically criticised new OC Todd Haley’s game plan claiming they don’t want him to sling it Big Ben style but is on course to beat last season's total of 65 20+ yard completions by three. Also, like the Ravens their ageing and hurt defense hasn’t been firing on all cylinders.

The short passing game has filled in like a running game would by letting the Steelers let defenders sneak close on a few plays before going over the top to their speedy receivers. Ben is 5th in the league passing with 1,765 yards with 11 TDs, 3 INTs and 66% completions.

Coming out of their bye week 1-2 the Steelers have gone 3-1 including an important division win over the Bengals in week 6. In the last two weeks Jonathan Dwyer has revived the running game with back to back 100+ yard games but didn’t record a single touchdown.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals came into 2012 as last year's AFC 6th seed and looked like a 1st overall pick contender during their MNF week 1 defeat in Baltimore. They bounced back with three consecutive wins against the Browns, Redskins and Jaguars but lost two extremely winnable games, the first at home to the Dolphins and then away to the winless Browns. They followed those defeats with a home loss to the Steelers on SNF in week 7. They start the 2nd half of the season home to Denver and must win to keep pace with the Steelers in an incredibly tight AFC.

Andy Dalton has thrown 13 TDs whilst also throwing for 1,831 yards completing 64.2% (156/243) but has 10 interceptions. Green has been the recipient of 44 of those completions going for 636 yards and 7 touchdowns. He’s on course to smash his rookie year totals and also has 31 1st downs and 10 receptions over 20 yards.

Cleveland Browns

At 2-6 the plucky Browns have shown some resistance. Led by 28 year old rookie QB Brandon Weeden they split the Battle of Ohio and only narrowly lost by one touchdown away at Baltimore in a Thursday night matchup. Weeden and Richardson, who underwent knee surgery on Aug 9th, have grown as the season has progressed. Richardson has 4 touchdowns off of 103 carries which have seen him gain just 348 yards.

They start the 2nd half with home games against the Ravens and Steelers sandwiching a bye week and a trip to Dallas. It won’t be much better for the Browns with two or three possible winnable games before the year ends for them on December 31st.

Division pick:

I’m going for the Baltimore Ravens to win the division and potentially get a bye in the playoffs.

The Ravens and Steelers faceoff in weeks 11 and 13, that will be when the division is decided and I feel the Ravens have the, on paper, easier run heading into that stretch. Playing away in Cleveland and hosting Oakland whilst the Steelers travel to the defending Super Bowl champion Giants in week 9 and then host the Chiefs on MNF in week 10.

A traditionally defensive battle has the potential to become two classic shootouts. The Steelers have the shorter week headed to the first game which is on SNF in Pittsburgh and to stand any chance of catching Baltimore they must sweep the Ravens.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

MJ33's AFC North mid-term report Empty Re: MJ33's AFC North mid-term report

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 29 Oct - 19:04

Cheers MJ33 Smile

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 29 Oct - 20:20

Great read! I agree with your pick, but also reckon the Steelers will pick up a wildcard spot

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 30 Oct - 1:42

Nice one MJ33! I has no idea Flacco had been so ordinary this year. I had a sense he was doing pretty well but those are not the numbers of one of the league's better QBs. Likewise Dalton - he's thrown way too many picks.

I'll be honest though, I reckon Pittsburgh will nick the division title. They look like they might be finding a bit of a groove to me and they know how to win in this league.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Tue 30 Oct - 11:00

Thanks again guys. I was trying to find faults with it but I'm glad it's sufficient enough.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue 30 Oct - 13:01

Nice write up. OK

I'd love the Bengals to win it for a change, but i reckon Steelers will end up top...

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 30 Oct - 14:21

Well written, although I see the Steelers winning the division. Webb's loss hurts the team a lot. They will struggle on defence. I think the Steelers can take it.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down