The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing's 'Magic Moments'

+10
superflyweight
ShahenshahG
ONETWOFOREVER
Il Gialloblu
Union Cane
azania
88Chris05
owen10ozzy
Daz
sittingringside
14 posters

Go down

Boxing's 'Magic Moments' Empty Boxing's 'Magic Moments'

Post by sittingringside Thu 01 Nov 2012, 12:30 am

I remember when I was a lot younger, The famous Rumble in the Jungle documentary 'When we were Kings' was on t.v and I was summoned to the living room by my father to sit down and watch it with him. My father explained to me who Muhammad Ali was and told me that the Rumble in the Jungle was the greatest moment in sports. I watched in rapt awe as Ali first mentally and then physically defeated Foreman, who to my young eyes was a monstrous behemoth from the realms of near fiction. Everything about that fight (and particularly that documentary's portrayal of it, which slightly overplays the early dominance of Foreman in the fight) is a little bit magic, the location, the background, the participants. Even though I've watched a lot of boxing since then, it still stands out for me as one of the sports magic moments. The skill and physicallity of the contest was obviously immense, but there's a certain extra factor to the event that makes it special. So what are your magic moments in boxing? Not necessarily the contests of the greatest skill, but those with the same sort of special allure and memorable atmosphere as the Rumble.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Boxing's 'Magic Moments' Empty Re: Boxing's 'Magic Moments'

Post by Daz Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:21 pm

For me these arent magical but they are certainly memorable:

Buster Douglas KO Mike Tyson

Miguel Cotto stare down of Antonio Margarito after the second fight

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:43 pm

For allure and atmosphere I can't think of to many modern day which are better than Ricky Hatton v Floyd Mayweather.

Although almost everyone now claims they knew Hatton had little chance the week of the actual fight saw many sway towards 'The Hitman' giving Mayweather a seriously tough fight & maybe even upsetting the odds.

The press conferences and media build up (especially in the States) left a feeling that this was truly one of the biggest fights of the modern day. I think it was obviously helped by the travelling army Ricky took with him but everyone was intrigued by the contest.

The 48 hours covering weigh in and the actual fight night were insane. The most electric atmosphere I have ever felt at ANY sporting event and I have been to my fair share. I'm not sure any other fight will beat that in my lifetime to be honest!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:57 pm

It'd only take a quick glance at some of the Hatton versus Mayweather prediction threads back on the old 606 to show that you're right with regards to plenty of people (be it purely for nationality reasons or legitimate boxing ones) predicting a Hatton win there, Ozzy. Can't believe it's been five years. But I agree, it was the closest thing I've known to a boxing fight becoming a 'national event', so to speak, on these shores in my own lifetime. Literally everybody was talking about it in the weeks beforehand.

I was on holiday with some mates in Magaluf in the summer of 2007, so this would be a good three months or so before the fight, but even then literally every lad I spoke to was already talking about the fight, and how excited they were about it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

The build up to the Benn/Eubank fight was something else. Wall to wall pressers and even made the nightly news on a regular basis. The papers were covered with it for weeks before hand. Terrific atmosphere also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Thu 01 Nov 2012, 2:59 pm

A couple more to add...again not magical but moments I will always remember.

Mosley smashing up Margarito (who I despise)

Pavlik's destruction of Jermain Taylor (who I didnt like either)

Both underdogs so I was well happy!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:03 pm

azania wrote:The build up to the Benn/Eubank fight was something else. Wall to wall pressers and even made the nightly news on a regular basis. The papers were covered with it for weeks before hand. Terrific atmosphere also.

I've recounted this tale before, but I was in a local nightclub throwing some shapes on the night of Benn / Eubank II, and at one point the music stopped and the DJ announced the result. I very much doubt that this sort of thing would happen nowadays.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

Chris - With such big fights involving our national lads you always get the truly blinkered views. In the build up I thought Hatton had a really good chance...though I still thought Mayweather would pinch it. I think I predicted a Mayweather UD with close scorecards.

I certainly wouldn't have been surprised if Hatton had won mind. What I do remember is the amount of people who said 'Oh Hatton has a real chance, I think he will stop him'...then couple of years down the line..'Oh he was never going to win, I always said Mayweather would win it easy'.

Even now I think people look at the contest and sway a little left field as to what actually happened in the fight. Hatton did frustrate Mayweather at times and I wouldn't say Floyd had as much success against him as he did the likes of Judah,Marquez & Mosley. Hatton got frustrated and from the 6th round it was a case of when rather than would Mayweather stop him.

I went out from Thursday through to Sunday and it was just insane. Everyone was buzzing...even after the fight. It was all anyone was talking about and the Americans really took to the occasion as well. Many people make a big deal of the Hatton following and it was truly stunning to see. I don't think there is any fighter in the World in the last 20 maybe even 30 years who would have 20,000 fans forking out £2000 plus to go see a fight. The other thing is that the Americans really took to him aswell...he had a real likeability about him and it was something which added to the fight as people didn't go just to cheer on one fighter but to also witness what they knew was a true superfight between two of the best in the world. Something that rarely ever happens these days.

I have been to UEFA Cup finals, FA & League Cup finals...NFL Games but to name a few. I also worked two weeks at the Olympics and I would say that only 2 things have ever beaten that trip out to the states to see the fight:

1) Super Saturday which saw Mo, Jess Ennis and Rutherford win gold

2) 100m final in this years Olympics.

Given the truly global nature of those it puts into context just how good the Hatton v Mayweather build up & fight were!

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 01 Nov 2012, 3:15 pm

Union Cane wrote:
azania wrote:The build up to the Benn/Eubank fight was something else. Wall to wall pressers and even made the nightly news on a regular basis. The papers were covered with it for weeks before hand. Terrific atmosphere also.

I've recounted this tale before, but I was in a local nightclub throwing some shapes on the night of Benn / Eubank II, and at one point the music stopped and the DJ announced the result. I very much doubt that this sort of thing would happen nowadays.

Too true.

Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 01 Nov 2012, 5:40 pm

[quote="Il Gialloblu"]
Union Cane wrote:

Too true

Thats weird I was in a club on the same night DJing and I remember this guy busting the lamest moves you could imagine on the dance floor I mean his moves were non existent. It was very embarrising and I wanted it to stop badly so I just did the first thing that came into my head and stopped the music and announced the result of Benn v Eubanks 2.

How very strange.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:33 pm

Definitely not a fight comparable to my original example, but I remember the atmosphere being great in the run up to De La Hoya vs Mayweather.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 01 Nov 2012, 11:49 pm

Anyone travel to Taylor Chavez - It must have been awesome. Anyone care to share their experience?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:36 am

Nelson v DeLeon surpasses anything I've ever witnessed. It was recently made into a TV series...I think it's called, "The Walking Dead"

Back in the 90's the atmosphere in the pubs was always good for Naz and Eubank fights. The room was generally split down the middle with people wanting them to win vs those wanting them to be spanked.

I went to Benn/Collins back in 96 and the noise was unreal. My fondest memory and proudest moment is starting the Mexican wave out of sheer boredom during the Nardiello/Malinga fight. It even got a mention on the telly. I don't think Vincenzo has ever received such an ovation from a British crowd before or since.

The Bruno/McCall fight was a bit special. Of course time and alcohol may have played in part in how fondly I remember it but the noise in my local was insane...especially as the Landlord had shut the doors as it was past closing time and wanted to avoid the Police chucking everyone out.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 9:42 am

Bruno-McCall is just about the first world title fight involving a British fighter that I can vividly remember, Dave. A treasured memory for me, because Bruno was my first boxing hero as a very, very young kid. I absolutely adored him. Seeing him take a second shellacking from Tyson six months later was probably the most upsetting boxing experience I'll ever have!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 02 Nov 2012, 12:16 pm

Going back to the Hatton v Mayweather fight, there was plenty of people on the old 606 picking Ricky. I read an article by Kevin Mitchell of the Guardian a day before the fight and he somehow convinced me that Ricky could not only win but that he could force a late stoppage. I'm not ashamed to admit that I called the fight to go that way.

That fight added to Floyd's aura considerably (there was still some doubt even after the De La Hoya fight) on these shores and it's only now that calling the fight against him seem ridiculous.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 02 Nov 2012, 8:42 pm

Can't believe someone has moaned about Nelson-Deleon...

You Brits have been spoilt!!

I remember Page vs Tubbs............and Greg the flea Richardson...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 08 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

A heavily bleeding and crying Barkley being hoisted on to the shoulders of his cornermen after KOing Hearns. It was real life Rocky moment, you would have to be pretty hard hearted not to be moved by the emotion showing on Barkley's face.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:03 pm

[quote="ONETWOFOREVER"]
Il Gialloblu wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

Too true

Thats weird I was in a club on the same night DJing and I remember this guy busting the lamest moves you could imagine on the dance floor I mean his moves were non existent. It was very embarrising and I wanted it to stop badly so I just did the first thing that came into my head and stopped the music and announced the result of Benn v Eubanks 2.

How very strange.

I thought this was funny, but nobody commented on it so I posted it again.

It was a stroke of comedic genius

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

sittingringside wrote:I remember when I was a lot younger, The famous Rumble in the Jungle documentary 'When we were Kings' was on t.v and I was summoned to the living room by my father to sit down and watch it with him. My father explained to me who Muhammad Ali was and told me that the Rumble in the Jungle was the greatest moment in sports. I watched in rapt awe as Ali first mentally and then physically defeated Foreman, who to my young eyes was a monstrous behemoth from the realms of near fiction. Everything about that fight (and particularly that documentary's portrayal of it, which slightly overplays the early dominance of Foreman in the fight) is a little bit magic, the location, the background, the participants. Even though I've watched a lot of boxing since then, it still stands out for me as one of the sports magic moments. The skill and physicallity of the contest was obviously immense, but there's a certain extra factor to the event that makes it special. So what are your magic moments in boxing? Not necessarily the contests of the greatest skill, but those with the same sort of special allure and memorable atmosphere as the Rumble.

You are right about that. The Rumble in the Jungle was a remarkeble occasion. The closest we have come since a repeat of that fantastic fight would be when Lennox Lewis fought Mike Tyson. There are many similarities between the two. Tyson like Foreman before him was a destructive force and very intimadating. Not many peole thought Lwis would be able to stand up to him. But Lewis was able to dominate him mentlly and physically just like Ali did to Foreman and ended up knocking the bully out! His performance and coolness in the face of boxings most feared heavyweight must be up there with the best boxing moments!

I cant argue with Eubank and Benns fights. They dont seem to make them like that anymore. The build up and rivalry between Benn and Eubank was electric. You could really feel the tension. Hatton and Mayweather promised so much but I was left a little disappoined. I thought the ref spoiled the contest to be honest. I think a rematch in Manchester would have been a huge fight and Id give Hatton a much better chance with a ref that was more neutral.

I would also like to add Haglers epic fight with Hearns. What a fight!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:26 pm

Gordy bennet

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:27 pm

The closest we have come since a repeat of that fantastic fight would be when Lennox Lewis fought Mike Tyson. There are many similarities between the two.
There were two fighters in the ring, one got knocked out.

COMPARISON ENDS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 08 Nov 2012, 5:57 pm

Gordy wrote:There are many similarities between the two

Not really....

Gordy wrote:Tyson like Foreman before him was a destructive force and very intimadating

He had been in the past. But, by the time of this fight he was very much on the downslide. His aura of invincibility had declined, and was not comparable to that of Rumble in the Jungle era Foreman.

Gordy wrote:Not many peole thought Lwis would be able to stand up to him

Yes they did. Lewis was the favourite.....

But you know all this already. Because you're on the wind up. You must be with comments like this. Can't actually believe I took the time to reply Doh

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down