The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions"

4 posters

Go down

John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions" Empty John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions"

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:33 am

Courtesy of Sport24

Suspended Golden Lions Rugby Union coach John Mitchell is committed to continuing in the role, buoyed by news that he has already been found not guilty of various charges of misconduct levelled against him by the GLRU, with a further six charges having been withdrawn by the Johannesburg-based club.

The lengthy enquiry into the charges laid against Mitchell by the GLRU was chaired by an independent legal expert, Peter Bam.

"Even though John has been cleared of these particular allegations, the GLRU, through its lawyers, is not prepared to release details to John or his lawyers," says Mitchell's management, The Fordham Company.

"That's pretty amazing considering the damage that this action taken by the GLRU has done to John's reputation and brand. Furthermore, the GLRU's lawyers have advised John’s lawyers that they are not prepared to release the findings and recommendations pertaining to the remaining nine charges brought against John unless John agrees to sign a confidentiality undertaking. One would have to question why this information is being withheld".

Mitchell's lawyers Edward Nathan Sonnenbergs is continuing to press for full disclosure from the GLRU law firm Erasmus Inc and have threatened an urgent application to Labour Court to secure the findings and recommendations.

In making it clear that he wants to be restored as Golden Lions coach, Mitchell confirmed he has no intention of seeking a coaching position with the UK club Sale Sharks, even though he had been approached by the club regarding the position.

"I want my head coach position back at the Lions," said Mitchell. "There is some unfinished business to do with the Lions. Furthermore, I am determined that my future will be in South Africa".
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions" Empty Re: John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions"

Post by LondonTiger Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:37 am

Sounds like he is saying what he needs to say to ensure he gets full compensation.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions" Empty Re: John Mitchell: "I want my head coach position back at the Lions"

Post by sirtidychris Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:42 am

I think john mitchell loves giving media sound bites too much, I think Sale could find someone less egotisical and mental to build the team around than him. Winning perhaps but at what cost ?

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:46 am

John Mitchell was part of the in studio panel during the RWc last year. I got a lot of insight into his rugby mind.

He also never came accross as a media seeker. In my view he is what we need in SA rugby, our teams of the past learnt discipline the hard way, same as we did in the Army.

You learn when you fight in the trenches together the team ethos is stronger.

Whether he is really as maniacle as some say, I don't know. But in my view he did wonders for the Lions, especially in the manner they changed the way they played, and all within 18 months.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:46 am

Mitchell has a good record.

Coach with England during their prime circa 99/00.

Then head coach of New Zealand for a couple of years, turning them from a team very much second best to Aus - to the best of the trinations teams by a fair margin. Pretty harshly dropped for a 'poor' performance in the World Cup, especially when you consider the leeway given to Henry in 2007.

Then did a very good job of creating a scratch side with the Force - who have been much worse since he left. Not sure if there are other factors there?

Given that record my inclindation is that if things aren't working out with the Lions, it's not him that's the problem...

He may have an ego the size of a barge, but how many top notch coaches don't??

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down