The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals

+7
Poorfour
Duty281
Toadfish
rodders
tigertattie
munkian
kiakahaaotearoa
11 posters

Go down

Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals Empty Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:26 pm

Well counting down the days now and I don't mean the long weekend - Friday is a holiday in Madrid so God bless the patron saint Almudena.

Soon the Autumn Internationals will be upon us and I thought it might be beneficial to raise your spirits and confidence and reflect on some glorious moments in the past. If you're struggling for a memorable try then a huge hit (I remember Kaino, for example, on Davies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfh7XdGYo8&playnext=1&list=PLD90D4BF3E5FC6DF1&feature=results_video Love the Kiwi commentators unable to pronounce his name like Steve Renouf for the Broncos).

I won't mention my favourite tries just yet as it might well be counter-productive. So what memorable moments can you remember in recent times?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals Empty Re: Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals

Post by munkian Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:35 pm

George North's debut, 2010. Things got serious
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals Empty Re: Best tries or memorable moments from your team in the Autumn Internationals

Post by tigertattie Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

Visser's hat-trick against NZ in the 2012 AI's

Oh wait, you guys don't know about that one yet eh!

Memo to self, don't reveal the future on net forums!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:39 pm

From memory:

2005. Cheeky ROG try against the springboks.

2006 Neil Best flattening Lote Tuquiri, Rocky Elsom and every other Aussie in sight in maybe the best Irish performance in the pro era.

2006. Trimbles try against SA.

2009 BODs last minute try to get a draw with Australia.

2009. BODs match saving huge hit on De Villiers after shooting out of the line to prevent a certain winning try, a win that kept Irelands unbeaten in 2009 (Gees BOD was incredible in 2009).

2010. Ferris catching Pierre Spies from behind after a scrum pick up and go down the blindside.

2011(?) BODs one handed pick up on the run and try against NZ....I thought it was good anyways....

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:44 pm

The last one was 2010 rodders. Amazing skill from the big man with a wet ball (suit you sir). Ferris also scored that day. 2011 the ABs only had one autumn and that was from March to May.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

Should mention Munsters midweek game against NZ in 2008(?).....Incredible game and the Hakas before the game and crowd reaction to them was as good as anything I've ever witnessed in sport.

Sorry Kia I'm a bit forgetful..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:49 pm

Easy enough for you to forget but we tend to remember things that happen only every 24 years. That haka by the 3 Munster players and the game in general was incredible. A friend who lives here was at the game. Didn't get the result Munster deserved but a great spectacle and all the more reason to have more of these games. Plenty of television interest as well as at the ground.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Mon 05 Nov 2012, 4:56 pm

Shame I have to go back so far but this one will always be a favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_mLbOP2oTA&feature=fvwrel

A bit more recent but enjoyed this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpzejrMlEo

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:56 pm

Toadfish wrote:Shame I have to go back so far but this one will always be a favourite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_mLbOP2oTA&feature=fvwrel

A bit more recent but enjoyed this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpzejrMlEo

Don't forget this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYH9w15kmH0

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 05 Nov 2012, 5:58 pm

Dan Luger's try for England in the 89th minute versus Oz in 2001 was pretty special, as was Ashton's try, again against the Australians, in 2010.

Bizarrely, both of those happened right in front of where I was sitting that day.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:04 pm

You'll be there this year right Poorfour?!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

I was going to say Lugers try too, what a brilliant ending that was, back in the days when balshaw was an exciting young player!

A couple of years later (2002?) England were losing at half time to te Aussies and came back to win it, Cohen scored a couple of decent tries.
Or the week after, Wilkinsons chip and collect and against NZ was a great moment.

So all of them a while ago... Says a lot about England since!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 05 Nov 2012, 10:55 pm

Shane Williams try against Argentina, simply for outstanding acceleration from the little man.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Nov 2012, 8:55 am

Scotland's mid 4th quarter scrum against the Boks in November 2010 - I was sitting watching Murray face down Mtawarira the entire match and then smile as he hammered the Beast down, forcing the penalty. At that moment, I knew that we'd won it.

I was also at Murrayfield in November 2009 when Gitau shanked his last kick to give us the win. I had to pretend to my girlfriend (now my wife) that we always beat those pesky Wallabies.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm

yappysnap wrote:You'll be there this year right Poorfour?!

Yup. But not sat in the North or South, so I am afraid the England team won't have me as a target to drive towards. Since this was obviously a factor in both tries, I expect a loss against the Wallabies.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 06 Nov 2012, 12:25 pm

France has given us some great spectacles. Sometimes because they beat us and other times because they bring out the best in us. Plus there is usually some ferocious tackling. Some of that spills over to test matches in NZ. Chabal had a huge hit on him by Jerry Collins but there was history in that hit.

Some of my favourite games we have clicked on attack came in France. Like Marseille in 2009 when our counter attack, scrum (after a wobbly first one) and everything was on song after a miserable season against SA in the 3N (3 - 0 and a loss at the House of Pain).

Sometimes these AI performances can be cathartic like I imagine Australia's performance against France the last time they met but often the history and memory of that match spills over into future games. Expect fireworks from the French pack after their humuliation the last two sides met in France.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down