The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Series of Boxing

+9
Imperial Ghosty
6oldenbhoy
Snakeyman123
TheMackemMawler
mobilemaster8
spencerclarke
adamk
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Sugar Boy Sweetie
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

World Series of Boxing - Page 2 Empty World Series of Boxing

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 06 Nov 2012, 11:09 am

First topic message reminder :

The British Lionhearts WSB team is launched today, with numerous members of the Team GB Olympic side signing up (not Campbell or Joshua). WSB is essentially a hybrid of amateur and pro boxing, offering an alternative to turning pro whilst still enabling fighters to earn a living. No head guards or vests, five 3 minute rounds in a tournament format (leagues of 6 with home & away legs), five different weight classes. It is all sanctioned by AIBA with the boxers retaining amateur status meaning they can work toward Rio 2016.

This is a summary from an article in the Independent this morning. Anyone read much about it? Think it seems a good idea? It's been around for a couple of years but is apparently starting to take off a bit, with an improved format coming next year that will embrace pro boxers yet to reach a threshold of X amount of fights.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

World Series of Boxing - Page 2 Empty Re: World Series of Boxing

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:07 pm

I think Gvodzyk pulled out due to injury. Can’t find a source as of yet, but he was billed right up until the event. You are only allowed to fight once per calendar month for health and safety reasons. There is no requirement to use certain fighters. Charlie Edwards hasn't fought at all this season but is on the team. Generally the Lionhearts save their big names for home legs, probably to increase ticket sales.

Heard a rumour before the Olympics that Lomachenko, Usyk, Berincyk (World and Olympic Silver) and Shelestyuk (World Champ) were all going to go pro as a package, but it hasn’t materialised as of yet. Lomachenko on his twitter account has said he plans to go pro in America. Hopefully Usyk does the same.

If they are to keep the WSB after the launch of APB then they need to look at the weight classes. Welter’s are struggling against Middle’s at 73kg and Light Fly’s have no chance of competing at Bantam.

As an aside, AIBA have released their new digital magazine on their website. It’s free to download and is 40 pages of what’s happened July and December. Haven’ only skimmed through it but it seems likely a pretty decent read. There is a link on the IABA website that brings you directly to it if you are struggling to find it on the AIBA website.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:09 pm

I just watched the Usyk vs Joyce fight. I'll be interested to hear how you see it after you've watched it back. In terms of ability they're naturally leagues apart. The gulf in size and strength was clear but it just wasn't enough to overcome the an insurmountable difference in class.

I take my hat off to Usyk because Joyce is a beast. I give more credit to Usyk for taking Joyces shots than I do to Joyce for taking Usyks.

Round 1) Joyce is huge, but the last minute of the first made it easier to give to Usyk. At least Joyce doesn't freeze like Bruno when hit.

Round 2) Usyk was a silly boy for 30 seconds after Joyce lost his gum shield. Close round, again Joyce used his size and stupidity to good effect. Usyk gets the round for his ability to produce eye catching shots. He also gets Kudos for going toe to to against Joyce's brutishness.

Round 3) Usyk the quicker but I'll be kind and give it to Joyce.... if only for determination.

Round 4) Usyk went into a different gear and showed why he's Olympic champion. Timed Joyce to perfection.

Round 5) More of the fourth but with more aggression and movement. Fantastic. And easy round to score. Usyk

I had it 50-46. Maybe i was too kind to Joyce in the 3rd? The official scorecard 50-45 doesn't tell the full story. I thought it was competitive for the first three rounds, only because of the size differences, then Usyk just turned it on. Great fight.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

For anyone who want to watch it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASpmqoJVM
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

From ringside I scored it 50-45. It just seemed that all the quality was coming from Uysk. I thought the first was the closest round, but the last minute stole it for him. Everyone I spoke to was in agreement that Usyk won every round. He was superb when he stepped on the gas.

Who was doing the commentary Mackem? Was it Mr Impartial Richie Woodhall?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

Yeah Woodhall, but from the little attention i paid he was all for Usyk.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 4:04 pm

Watched the 3rd round again.

First 30 seconds, a 20 second spell in the middle, and the last 10 seconds to Usyk. The remainder to Joyce. 10-9 in Joyces favour.

Can't argue with anyone that scored it to Usyk.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 04 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

From memory I remember the quality shots all coming from Usyk. Joyce came forward but wasn't landing as clean as Usyk. He took some pretty meaty shots in there. Thought Usyk was superb in the last two. Thought he was looking for the KO.

Seen any of the other fights yet, Mackem?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Mon 04 Mar 2013, 5:56 pm

I've watched some the Ward fight and all the Lomchenko fight.

I was impressed with the composure of Maxwell. I think Lomenchenko "over-did" the feints a bit.....Maxwell did well not to react to them; the only problem was he didn't react to the actual attacks either! haha!

Maxwell did well though. He held when he had to and tried his best to keep Lomenchenko long.

It was interesting watching Lomchenko taking the role as a thinking in-fighter. The only problem, he smothered his own work at times (made worse by Maxwell's holding).

Different Class. 50 - 45.

While i read the write ups and such its been the concerted effort I've made to watch WSB. I'll be watching the action I've missed over the coming of weeks. I'm hooked.

Despite the stick he gets on here for bias, Woodhall is one of the most knowledgeable commentators around when it comes to tactics. I love listening to him, but that's what i'm interested in.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 28 Mar 2013, 8:36 pm

The Lionhearts travel to Mexico bringing with them a 4-1 advantage from the home leg. Andrew Selby, John Joe Nevin, Joe Ward and Joe Joyce were all victorious for the Lionhearts while Conrad Cummings scored a solitary point for the Guerreros which might yet be crucial. An advantage like this may seem insurmountable for the Guerreros but upon closer inspection the Lionhearts may yet still have work to do. The travelling Lionhearts contingent of Sean McGoldrick, Sam Maxwell, Kaupo Arro, Babacar Kamara and Uaine Fa, have a combined record of 7-12, with only Sean McGoldrick having a positive record (3-1). The Guerreros, on the other hand, have a fearsome 20-3 combined tally between them. Four of their boxers are ranked in the top four in the individual rankings at their respective weights, while only McGoldrick can boast the same for the Lionhearts. Given that the bouts will also be at altitude, the Guerrero’s look to be firm favourites.

At Bantamweight, Mexico will be represented by Elias Emigdio. He is currently ranked 2nd behind Andrew Selby in the individual rankings and brings an impressive 5-0 record in this season’s WSB, a 13-2 record overall. Sean McGoldrick is used to boxing on the road and has excelled, currently ranked fourth overall in the individual ratings. This will be his toughest assignment, and a good performance from him would put the Lionhearts within touching distance of the semi final.

Sam Maxwell comes into this bout with a slightly misleading 1-3 record. Two of his losses have come to the World’s greatest amateur, Vasyl Lomachenko, while the other was a decision that could have gone either way against Irishman, Davey Oliver Joyce. He is a big Lightweight, with long arms and throws straight shots effectively. Facing him will be 2011/12 individual champion, Juan Romero. He is currently 2-1 this season, but has much more experience than his British counterpart. Maxwell faces an uphill struggle to secure a vital point for the visitors.

Marvin Cabrera has accrued an unblemished 5-0 record this season, though one of those victories was via walkover. He is currently ranked second in the individual rankings and is the Guerrero’s premier Middleweight. Kaupo Arro, an Estonian boxing for the Lionhearts, brings a 1-2 record to Mexico. His solitary win was in a bout with Jeffrey Camp of the USA, cut short after an accidental cut was opened on the American. Personally, I thought he was slightly fortunate to pick up the win. Cabrera looks to be in the driving seat for this contest.

Babacar Kamara has struggled in this season’s WSB. After three contests he is yet to pick up a victory for the Lionhearts. His opponent in this bout is Isaac Munoz (4-1). Munoz has won both home and away this season and will be the heavy favourite.

Uaine Fa started this season well. He won his opening contest, away in America, but has since suffered three defeats on the trot. Two of those defeats have come to Olympic and World Champion, Oleksandr Uysk, and double Olympic silver Medalist, Clemente Russo, so he has been matched tough. His opponent, Gerardo Bisbal, has acquired a 4-1 record to sit third in the individual rankings. On paper this should be straightforward enough for the Guerreros’ boxer, but if any Lionhearts’ boxer is to pick up a surprise point then it may well be Fa. 

Should the score finish 4-1 in favour of the Guerreros, then a box off between Lawrence Osueke and Francisco Ortega at Light Heavy will decide the victors. Osueke has little experience, having only been promoted to the GB squad in the past year. His sole contest this season ended in defeat, a points loss away in Germany. His opponent has an identical record this season, however has participated in three seasons of the WSB. His extra experience could well be a telling factor should the fixture require a box off. 

If the Lionhearts are to progress to the semi finals then they will need a strong performance from all boxers. I feel that the key to victory lies with McGoldrick, Maxwell and Fa. If two of these three can pick up wins then that will be enough to progress. Besides the aggregate scoreline, Mexico have all the advantages coming in. The atmosphere will be hostile and the Mexican’s experience of boxing at altitude could well decide the outcome. 

In other action this week, Ukraine travel to Baku defending a 5-0 lead. Oleksandr Uysk defeated World Super Heavy Champion, Magomedrasul Medzhidov, in Ukraine showing how classy an operator he is. Lomachenko was held back for the away leg where he will face Albert Selimov, the only man to ever defeat him. Lomachenko defeated him at the Beijing Olympics to even the scoreline, with this being the rubber match. Both are undefeated in the WSB and are ranked in the top three in the Lightweight division. This is the Mayweather vs Pacquiao of the Amateurs and well worth a watch.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:41 am

The Lionhearts were defeated 5-0 in Mexico last night and have exitted the tournament. All five fighters lost decisions to their Mexican counterparts. Conrad Cummings' valuable point in the away leg for Mexico was crucial.

Lomachenko vs Selimov starts at 3pm on Youtube for anyone interested.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

Just saw this on twitter. Real shock.

Have you heard back from Cummings yet Paul?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:33 am

I actually fancied the Guerreros to progress. The Lionhearts have a great first team, but little strength in depth. They progressed solely on home performances, apart from victory away to the weakest team, the USA. The Lionhearts missed the draft due to the late announcement of their participation, so apart from John Joe Nevin and Joe Ward, they didn't get the opportunity to strengthen their roster. From memory, Cummings was a 7th round pick for the Guerreros, yet comfortably dealt with the Lionhearts 2nd choice Middleweight. Sort of ties in to my article of a joint British and Irish team.

No reply as of yet, but I told him there is no rush. He's back in training as he will probably be boxing in the Semi's against Kazakhstan.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Sat 27 Apr 2013, 1:16 pm

Sorry for bumping this, but Cuba have announced they are going to participate in next season's WSB. I will definitely be heading down to the York Hall if they draw the Lionhearts.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:27 pm

Again, sorry to bump this, but due to infighting amongst the Home Nations, AIBA have pulled the plug on the Lionhearts franchise. Means that a lot of fighters will lose a substantial amount of funding. It could mean that quite a few standout amateurs could go pro. Evans and probably Joyce will and I wouldn't rule out Selby either.

A couple of the Irish boys may well do the same unless they are snapped up by other franchises.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2