The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hopkins longevity

+3
ShahenshahG
88Chris05
aja424
7 posters

Go down

Hopkins longevity Empty Hopkins longevity

Post by aja424 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 12:48 pm

I have been watching some of Bernards fights and training footage filmed over the last few years, and one of his statements is something along the line of he truly feels that he is physiologically different to anyone else on the planet.

Considering he is still taking part in world class fights, you have to consider if anyone of his age has consistantly taken part in any sport at the highest level, at his age, either now or throughout history.

You have footballers (Giggs,Scholes etc) partaking at the highest level, but they are still a decade younger then Hopkins. Plus you could say that they are now bit-part players and don't always do the full 90 minutes. Commentators and journalists were boring everyone with how Pirlo ran circles round his younger counterparts at the world cup (notably England) at the age of 33.

George Foreman was impressive taking a HW title in his mid forties, but with Bernard it seems different as he is still going at it.
He seems to "live the life" (thankyou to the sky team for that phrase), but so do a lot of the other top pros.

What do you guys think it is that allows him to be such a force at his age?

aja424

Back to top Go down

Hopkins longevity Empty Re: Hopkins longevity

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 1:09 pm

I wouldn't say that Hopkins is absolutely one of a kind, but he's one of a very, very select few, that's for sure.

I think it's a combination of factors, as the article alludes to. Like Archie Moore, another man who defied age so well, Hopkins didn't come in to professional boxing until he was at a (relatively) advanced age, which probably helps, and his game has never really been based on the things which age most effects, such as speed, reflexes and engine.

Say what you like about him, but Hopkins also has incredible dedication, focus and self-belief. All too often we see fighters with some of the above, but not the reast. Hopkins has the lot, plenty of times over.

A deplorable character at times, but a truly remarkable one, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Nov 2012, 1:25 pm

No drinking smoking, or unhealthy eating - even between fights he seems not to gain any weight at all. Doesnt get hit clean often and rolls with the punches well when he does.

Its rather interesting to note three boxers who roll with punches have their faculties completely intact despite the punishment they've taken in their life. Duran, Lamotta and Hopkins - can anyone add to this list?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by No1Jonesy Thu 08 Nov 2012, 1:27 pm

Only in sports by 'default' do you really get people of his age (and not nearly as fit) as Hopkins still competeing such as Darts, Golf, Snooker but they're more of a competitive hobby.

I would put it down to the style Hopkins has adapted and mastered over any physiological attributes that are different. If he was gun ho / pressure for full 3 minutes (even half a round) then he wouldn't be competing at fringe world level let alone at the top at his age

No1Jonesy

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:34 pm

His style of fighting (doesnt rely too much on youthful attributes), the fact he doesnt take too many blows to the head, clean living, good genetics, and the fact that he's most likely/almost certainly using PED's (HRT and GH).

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 2:46 pm

Would say, ref Giggs, his career started 6-7 yrs before BHop and his style has shown arguably greater adaption over time as was so heavily based on pace initially which BHop's never was.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Thu 08 Nov 2012, 3:02 pm

J.Benson II wrote:His style of fighting (doesnt rely too much on youthful attributes), the fact he doesnt take too many blows to the head, clean living, good genetics, and the fact that he's most likely/almost certainly using PED's (HRT and GH).

HRT?! I guess there could be some benefit to going into a fight 'hormonal'. I'm not sure quite why accusations of drug abuse would be levelled at Hopkins given that he's always fought at pretty much the same weight his whole career and his physique hasn't dramatically changed. Unless of course he's always been popping the old oestrogen supplements.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 08 Nov 2012, 3:35 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
J.Benson II wrote:His style of fighting (doesnt rely too much on youthful attributes), the fact he doesnt take too many blows to the head, clean living, good genetics, and the fact that he's most likely/almost certainly using PED's (HRT and GH).

HRT?! I guess there could be some benefit to going into a fight 'hormonal'. I'm not sure quite why accusations of drug abuse would be levelled at Hopkins given that he's always fought at pretty much the same weight his whole career and his physique hasn't dramatically changed. Unless of course he's always been popping the old oestrogen supplements.

Hormonal Replacement Theraphy. At the age he's at, his testosterone levels are in severe decline, and have been for years. Using synthetic hormones/testosterone to replace/increase what he's lost naturally.
I know some dudes who are on HRT prescription and have almost mantained the same fitness they had when they were 20 years younger. At the age he's at, Hopkins is just mantaining. Working extra hard just to keep hold of the muscle and fitness he currently has.
Weight gain/physqiue changes just depend on the drugs and dosages used. If Hopkins is using, he's not going to use what a LHW with HW aspirations will use.
Something like 200mg of Test a week, 20IU's a week of HGH + drugs like Anavar and Ephedrine thrown in isnt going to cause any drastic changes in physique/appereance. All that matters are the improvements in performance.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down