The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hatton's Redemption

+8
owen10ozzy
ONETWOFOREVER
ShahenshahG
Seanusarrilius
azania
AlexHuckerby
88Chris05
seanmichaels
12 posters

Go down

Hatton's Redemption Empty Hatton's Redemption

Post by seanmichaels Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:28 pm

I was going to read up on the greatest comebacks and write something up regarding Ricky's return. The cider is, however, flowing and I'm feeling terribly lazy. Anyway, here are 10 famous boxing comebacks:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/820961-george-foreman-and-the-10-greatest-boxing-comebacks-of-all-time

Just interested in your thoughts, as to what defines a successful comeback for Ricky. Not interested in whether you think he's shot, making a mistake or simply trying to revive his promotional company. What I want to know is what people think the end goal is. Redemption by making 147 and winning? An alphabet strap? A shot at an elite boxer? Pound for Pound ranking?

Over to you.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Hatton's Redemption Empty Re: Hatton's Redemption

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:36 pm

Hatton has apparently said that if he wins a world title - any world title - he'll retire straight away and be happy leaving it on that note. Given Hatton's circumstances, I'd say most would agree that such a comeback would have to be classed as a successful one, if he achieves that goal. The days of headlining Vegas against pound for pound stars are gone, never to return, and Hatton himself won't be pushing his way in to anyone's list, I feel. An 'alphabet title' is something he should be over the moon with if he gets it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:41 pm

88Chris05 wrote: The days of headlining Vegas against pound for pound stars are gone, never to return, and Hatton himself won't be pushing his way in to anyone's list, I feel.

I think you have more faith in boxing than me. If Hatton gets a strap, do you really think with his pulling power Mayweather, Pacquiao, could turn down the payday. If he wins the strap could his pride and accountant turn down such a match?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 08 Nov 2012, 7:48 pm

I'm not entirely sure as to what he feels will be classified as a successful comeback, perhaps just "Being seen a true warrior and champion again by the British public" to be fair, among real boxing fans he already is though to be totally honest.

For me it would be winning an alphabet strap, I think that's enough to be a genuinely successful comeback, or at least be in a World title fight in which he does extremely well in but perhaps loses valiantly, Morales/Maidana style.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:12 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
88Chris05 wrote: The days of headlining Vegas against pound for pound stars are gone, never to return, and Hatton himself won't be pushing his way in to anyone's list, I feel.

I think you have more faith in boxing than me. If Hatton gets a strap, do you really think with his pulling power Mayweather, Pacquiao, could turn down the payday. If he wins the strap could his pride and accountant turn down such a match?

Doubt it. He got battered by both and no-one in USA will but it. He may fill out Man City's ground, but that wont pay Floyd's $50m.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:22 pm

I agree with Chris, basically I think that Hatton should . . .

Oh sod it! THERE'S ONLY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RICKY HATTON OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RICKY HATTON! WALKING ALONG, SINGING A SONG, WALKING IN A HATTON WONDERLAND!!!!!!!!

I CAN SEE THE VEGAS LIGHTS SHINING ALREADY

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:37 pm

azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Doubt it. He got battered by both and no-one in USA will but it. He may fill out Man City's ground, but that wont pay Floyd's $50m.

Money Mayweather? Do you think he cares about his legacy? If he did he'd fight Pacquiao. Hatton would fill Vegas on his own.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:39 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Money Mayweather? Do you think he cares about his legacy? If he did he'd fight Pacquiao. Hatton would fill Vegas on his own.

He looked pretty trim the last time I saw him

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:41 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

He looked pretty trim the last time I saw him

drumroll OK Laugh

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Hatton's comeback will be seen around the world with interest not only in Britain but more importantly in America where Hatton is still a bigger name then Froch.

With all that pressure Hatton will need to land a title shot but I don't think he can become champ.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 08 Nov 2012, 8:44 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Money comes from PPV sales. I doubt many would buy it again when the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 08 Nov 2012, 9:32 pm

azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Money comes from PPV sales. I doubt many would buy it again when the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Arrogant. You may not believe but there's half a million tabloid readers who will.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 09 Nov 2012, 12:13 am

Hatton has already spoken of what success will be for him....

He has mentioned several times that even if he comes back and loses he will at least be able to walk away from the sport knowing that this time he went out on his terms.

He said that depression had kicked in following the defeat to Mayweather and if he is to be believed then the partaking of cocaine sessions and heavy heavy boozing sessions had begun shortly after that.

Looking back he thinks that the combination of those factors plus his mistakes in bringing aboard Floyd and peaking for the Manny fight to early left him feeling like he wasn't the fighter he could of been come that night.

I believe that with a good session and camp behind (which he is having by all accounts) added to the fact that he is much happier in his life now, he can head into the ring and give a good account of himself.

If he loses then so be it...he will at least know that he has lost a step due to age/wear & tear and not down to anything else which is what he felt it was that night.

In a sense I think that in his mind he has already gained some sense of redemption.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 09 Nov 2012, 3:36 pm

Who's in his corner?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 3:43 pm

Bob Shannon. Nice guy and a hard task master but I'm not sure what he brings to the table that is going to benefit Hatton.

Is he able to employ new tactics mid-fight if things go wrong, has he got the oratory skills to give Hatton a fight changing talk in the corner if it's all going wrong.

He didn't seem to be able to do much with Matthew Hatton when he faced Kell Brook so I don't see how Bob is going to aid Ricky in hitting the heights again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haito Fri 09 Nov 2012, 3:52 pm

I think he's a safe bet coach who will just let Hatton get on with it. Its far too late in Ricky's career for him to be adapting to a host of changes that some coaches would try and discipline into him. He's done what he's done for years and when Mayweather Snr tried to modify his style it didnt end to well so although some change is always viable too much will be a disaster from Ricky as he's always likely to revert to type and leave himself exposed. This second coming will soley rely on what Hatton has got left in the tank.

Personally i think this will be his final fight.
Haito
Haito

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:16 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
azania wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

How would that be "cementing" his legacy?

Wasnt Mayweather already a world champion (WBC) when Pacquiao was getting knocked out in the Phillipines??

Im pretty damn sure its Pacquiao who needs Mayweather but Arum wouldnt dare put him anywhere near and established, peak, skilled BOXER at preferable weight.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:29 pm

I think Mayweather will be remebered as much for not fighting Pacquiao as he would be for his previous exploits. Just an opinion.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

Hattons Comeback Trail:

1) Defeats Shenchenko via LKO or UD shaking ring rust in process

2) Rematch with Paulie for WBA Strap

3) Defends strap against Kell Brook or Amir Khan in British Super Fight.

Retires. (Again).

How do people think he would do if this were to be his chosen path??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:30 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I think Mayweather will be remebered as much for not fighting Pacquiao as he would be for his previous exploits. Just an opinion.

If im honest, i think they both will.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:31 pm

I'd meant to add that. OK

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:33 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Hattons Comeback Trail:

Retires. (Again).

Very well. I think it would enhance his reputation provided he didn't get destroyed against Brook / Khan

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:37 pm

I think he looks good if this was the case (in terms of how he fights).

Brook/Khan would be the stiff choice.

I think next year we should have a card at Wembley:

Hatton vs Malignaggi (WBA Title)

Brook vs Khan

Price vs Fury

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Hatton's Redemption Empty Hatton's Redemption

Post by Guest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:44 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

Retires. (Again).

Very well. I think it would enhance his reputation provided he didn't get destroyed against Brook / Khan

1/ Beats fighter he's pretty much expected to walk through

2/ Beats fighter he's already walked through once

3/ Loses to a fighter who has never stepped up to anything remotely like World level or a fighter who STILL hasn't learned the art of protecting his whiskers which have, time and again, proved to be his undoing.

Can't see I'd be too happy with that. For me, Hatton's redemption would be thus....

He'd need to beat Khan or Brook and have one more crack at an elite fighter and give an excellent account of himself. To be fair, he did better against Floyd than some other world class fighters have so there's no shame in losing there. I think Hatton needs to rid himself of the stain of the defeat to Manny and the only way to do it is to fight him again. Chances are, it will ever happen but it won't stop him asking. the results are usually the same although occasionally a little more competitive.

Losing on points or by late stoppage to Manny would be something Hatton could live with.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 09 Nov 2012, 4:52 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

Retires. (Again).

1/ Beats fighter he's pretty much expected to walk through

2/ Beats fighter he's already walked through once

3/ Loses to a fighter who has never stepped up to anything remotely like World level or a fighter who STILL hasn't learned the art of protecting his whiskers which have, time and again, proved to be his undoing.

Can't see I'd be too happy with that. For me, Hatton's redemption would be thus....

He'd need to beat Khan or Brook and have one more crack at an elite fighter and give an excellent account of himself. To be fair, he did better against Floyd than some other world class fighters have so there's no shame in losing there. I think Hatton needs to rid himself of the stain of the defeat to Manny and the only way to do it is to fight him again. Chances are, it will ever happen but it won't stop him asking. the results are usually the same although occasionally a little more competitive.

Losing on points or by late stoppage to Manny would be something Hatton could live with.

I think it's good for Hatton to be coming back and I'm reasonably excited to see what happens after the Senchenko fight. Would LOVE IT if he got a belt and a crack at a Pacquiao again.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Fri 09 Nov 2012, 5:20 pm

i dont understand his critisism. he wants to come back so he is doing. what have we got to be upset with it all? he doesnt owe us anything.

even if manny is no longer the force he was, hatton shouldnt go near him unless they're playing darts.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down