The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Past vs Present. You decide.

2 posters

Go down

Past vs Present. You decide. Empty Past vs Present. You decide.

Post by Guest Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:00 am

Simple really, who was better for their respective Premier League clubs. Feel free to add some more teasers guys.

Javier Hernandez v Ole Gunnar Solskjær. Man Utd. Chicarito is morphing into a super-sub in the same way that Ole had. Decent scoring records but I'll go with Solskjær on this one due to the significance of his strikes including a Champions League clincher in 1999.

Frank Lampard v Dennis Wise. Chelsea. Lampard will go down as one the greatest players in Chelsea history and rightly so. He's won every club honour possible and been a mainstay in the blues side for a decade now but with the risk of being laughed off this site I am going with Wise. Dennis the Menace was a better footballer than he was perhaps given credit for and was a key component in helping Chelsea win major honours again after a long trophy-less drought. A pomp Wise would have made any of the Chelsea teams of the last 10 years.

Luis Suarez
v Michael Owen . Liverpool. Owen was exceptional for the 'Pool between 1998 and 2004 and made a huge contribution towards their trophy laden spell within that timeframe but would a prime Owen be as important to the cause as Suarez is now? Not so sure my self. I'm going with Suarez who despite his irritating demeanor is an exceptional football player that would walk into almost any team in world football.

Gareth Bale v David Ginola. Spurs. I know a few Spurs fans who still wax lyrical about Ginola to this day. Player of the year in 1999 (the year Man Utd won the treble) and for 18 months an immense player for Tottenham but as good as Bale? Not a chance. If Bale was put up for sale tomorrow I'd expect the bidding to start at 40 million quid easy. An absolute beast of a player.

And just for you Olly:

Grant Holt v Chris Sutton. Norwich. Holt has taken to PL football like a duck to water and is a key component of the Canaries team but Chris Sutton was a brilliant player for Norwich and should have won more than the one England cap that he did. He was totally unplayable at times. Norwich were the first romantic of the Premier League era and Sutton was a big reason for this.

There you go fellas. Agree? Disagree?

Cheers guys.

Back to top Go down

Past vs Present. You decide. Empty Re: Past vs Present. You decide.

Post by MIG Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:09 am

Solskjaer although time will tell for Little Pea, Lampard no question, Suarez, Bale and Sutton. So nice mix of past and present. I may be being harsh on Owen but Suarez is looking pretty special at the moment.

van Nistelrooy vs van Persie?

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:14 am

Van Nistelrooy (if we are talking Utd only?) for me but a fantastic one that Mig. Both almost guarantee goals whenever they take to the field.

Nistelrooy only won four trophy's with Utd in five years which is quite staggering really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 11 Nov 2012, 10:11 am

I'd go for Solskjaer, but think that as long as Hernandez stays at Manchester United he'll have overtaken Solskjaer by the end of his career.

I think Lampard is clearly the better player than Wise and disagree that Wise would have been in any of the teams for the last 10 years where Chelsea have had central midfielders such as Lampard, Makelele, Essien and Ballack. As much as I think Lampard has been overrated for the last couple of years, his goal scoring record from midfield is pretty impressive even if the penalties help.

I think Suarez is much more important to Liverpool than Owen ever was, and is a much more three dimensional player than Owen as well. Owen's career will always have to go down as one of unfulfilled potential, he had the potential early on to become an excellent all-round striker but injuries meant he ended up resorting to being a poacher, which while he was good at it's hard to truly be that important to the team. Perhaps a better comparison would be with Torres who arguably was just as important as Suarez was, scored more goals and was for a time probably the world's best striker.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down