The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

+43
JDizzle
Dolphin Ziggler
Stella
User 774433
Hulking_up
lfc91
spencerclarke
Adam D
TheCelticGarbutt
Hibbz
Il Gialloblu
hodge
harryspiv
GG
TopHat24/7
skyeman
Nakatomi Plaza
Dave.
compelling and rich
Hero
Fernando
mystiroakey
Liam
CFCNick
Ent
Corporalhumblebucket
socal1976
MtotheC
LivinginItaly
Lumbering_Jack
JamesLincs
Duty281
westisbest
Mat
Amy
ncfc_Tooze
GSC
hampo17
guildfordbat
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
The Special Juan
Good Golly I'm Olly
47 posters

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next

Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by Guest Sat 17 Nov 2012, 7:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

The discussion(s) continue here guys.

Unbelievable win for the Canaries tonight which see's Man City top for the first time this season, will they hold on.

QPR - still without a win - look doomed and Aston Villa drop into the bottom 3.

Last edited by FreekShow on Sat 17 Nov 2012, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 12:07 pm

Crimey wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:There is less pressure on the england job than the liverpool one!!

Got to give rodgers some time i think.. Well i hope!

Dalglish didn't really get the time to turn things around, I don't get why the standards should be different. I think the team has been worse this year as well, less promise in the play, for every step forward, it's two steps backwards.

Before people say that I'm biased towards Dalglish because of his past, I was born after he'd left the club so can only really comment on what saw last year.

WHAT??!! He was given triple the amount of time any other manager would have, a substantially more than his poorly treated predecessor, Hodgson.

He contributed and achieved little during his tenure and his past was allowed to gloss over this. The Yanks know about PR and marketing better than most and his useless handling of the Suarez affair was his death knell. If he'd performed better then, then he might have had an extra season of leeway to continue his mediocrity and try to 'turn things around'.

He had one full season, in which the main issue was not being able to put the ball in the net. I think we played a lot better last season than we have at al times this season. I believe there was more to Hodgson's dismissal than just the poor football and awful results, and that was because he was appointed manager by Hicks and Gillet, when FSG took over they didn't want him there any more. If you had to watch the rubbish of Hodgson, you'd realise that he wasn't ever going to be a success. People point at the bad signings of Dalglish, but Downing, Adam, Enrique even Carroll are far superior to Konchesky and Poulsen. Hodgson alienated players like Agger and Johnson and was a walking, talking disaster.

If the Yanks knew so much about PR, why did they not step in?

Erm, they did??! Too late admittedly, the damage had already been done, but they stepped in to clean up the mess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17004667

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: 2012/13 Premier League discussion thread part 2

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

Crimey wrote:
Olly wrote:Who on earth will want to sign him though Crimey?! I think he is a terribly overrated player, for every good game there is 5/6 average ones and he is on £170,000 a week!!!!!! Crazy

PSG? AC Milan? They're both rumoured to want to sign him, he'll probably have to take a pay-cut or City could just pay a portion of his wages while his contract runs out. He's a liability and they need to get rid.

Totally agree. Why oh why Mancini perseveres with him when getting so little in return baffles me. Was very happy to see him starting ahead of Tevez against us - and look at the difference the Argentine made when he replaced the Prem's new Incredible Sulk.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Mon 17 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

Crimey wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Crimey wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:There is less pressure on the england job than the liverpool one!!

Dalglish didn't really get the time to turn things around, I don't get why the standards should be different. I think the team has been worse this year as well, less promise in the play, for every step forward, it's two steps backwards.

Before people say that I'm biased towards Dalglish because of his past, I was born after he'd left the club so can only really comment on what saw last year.

WHAT??!! He was given triple the amount of time any other manager would have, a substantially more than his poorly treated predecessor, Hodgson.

He contributed and achieved little during his tenure and his past was allowed to gloss over this. The Yanks know about PR and marketing better than most and his useless handling of the Suarez affair was his death knell. If he'd performed better then, then he might have had an extra season of leeway to continue his mediocrity and try to 'turn things around'.

He had one full season, in which the main issue was not being able to put the ball in the net. I think we played a lot better last season than we have at al times this season. I believe there was more to Hodgson's dismissal than just the poor football and awful results, and that was because he was appointed manager by Hicks and Gillet, when FSG took over they didn't want him there any more. If you had to watch the rubbish of Hodgson, you'd realise that he wasn't ever going to be a success. People point at the bad signings of Dalglish, but Downing, Adam, Enrique even Carroll are far superior to Konchesky and Poulsen. Hodgson alienated players like Agger and Johnson and was a walking, talking disaster.

If the Yanks knew so much about PR, why did they not step in? I think it's naive to think that Dalglish was the decision maker on the Suarez situation, why would he have been? It was badly handled obviously, but FSG know all about PR and marketing, as you said, so why would they hand it all to Dalglish and why wouldn't they step in. I also feel Dalglish and the whole club were badly let down by Suarez who had professed his innocence throughout the whole trial and afterwards so it was difficult for Dalgish and FSG. Chelsea reacted in a similar way when Terry was charged by standing by him.

In defence of Roy, Dalglish had a £100 Million to play with where as Roy basically had the money from Mascherano to spend, working under owners who the fans hated and with the spectrum of Dalglish hanging over him the whole time he was there.

And if we're talking a walking, talking disaster than I think Mr Dalglish probably fits that mould rather well with how he handled the press last year. And besides you'd have been better off with Roy, he's apparently an expert at making mid-table sides punch above their weight like Fulham, Albion...Liverpool Wink

All joking aside, I don't see the fuss about Rodgers to be perfectly honest, he's got a relatively nice style of football but it was already implemented at Swansea, whenever he's had to introduce his philosophy from scratch he's either failed or not stayed long enough to really get it going. And it's no better than what Dalglish did last year in my view. For me someone like Lambert is far superior tactically to Rodgers who is just as one-dimensional as Tony Pulis.

However now he's been brought in, surely Liverpool have to stick by him until the end of his contract to see if he can successfully implement his "philosophy"

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

Mat wrote:
Crimey wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
Crimey wrote:

If the Yanks knew so much about PR, why did they not step in? I think it's naive to think that Dalglish was the decision maker on the Suarez situation, why would he have been? It was badly handled obviously, but FSG know all about PR and marketing, as you said, so why would they hand it all to Dalglish and why wouldn't they step in. I also feel Dalglish and the whole club were badly let down by Suarez who had professed his innocence throughout the whole trial and afterwards so it was difficult for Dalgish and FSG. Chelsea reacted in a similar way when Terry was charged by standing by him.

For me someone like Lambert is far superior tactically to Rodgers who is just as one-dimensional as Tony Pulis.

That's a great sentence and why Lambert has Rodgers's number. Lambert knows how to beat Rodgers's teams and Rodgers doesn't have a plan B to go to
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Reading look like relegation fodder...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:21 pm

Probably because they are...
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:47 pm

They can score but can't defend.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

Clean sheet = at least a point

Simples
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm

38 clean sheets = 38 points = survival (possibly)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:46 pm

More often than not 38 points would keep you up.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Tue 18 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

Reading reminding me of Blackpool in that they can score at least 2 maybe 3 goals a game which is great, problem being that they are conceding just as much.

They could do with some experienced signings in the back 4 in january, maybe Dawson from Spurs if he isn't injured, would be an unbelievable signing imo although QPR may go after him again, especially with Redknapp now at the helm.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

Games today:

Wigan - Arsenal (1:00)
Man City - Reading
Newcastle - QPR
Southampton- Sunderland
Spurs - Stoke
West Brom - Norwich
West Ham - Everton
Liverpool - Fulham

Tomorrow:

Swansea - Man Utd (1:00)
Chelsea - Aston Villa (4:00)

Some real tight games today, not much between the sides at all apart from the City - Reading game.

I predict wins for:

Arsenal
City
Newcastle
Liverpool
Spurs

Draws in the other games. Tomorrow, I see wins for Utd and Chelsea in two close matches however.

Early team news then for Wigan - Arsenal:

Wigan:

Al Habsi

Stam
Boye
Figueroa

Jones
McArthur
McCarthy
Beausejour
Maloney

Di Santo
Kone

Arsenal:

Szczesny

Sagna
Mertesacker
Vermaelen
Gibbs

Arteta
Wilshere

Oxlade-Chamberlin
Carzola
Podolski

Walcott

Interesting that Walcott playing as the lone striker, where I believe his best position is. Some goals in this one so I'll say 3-1 Arsenal.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:32 pm

Good stuff Liam. Wigan always seem to play well against the "bigger" sides. That said I fancy Arsenal to shade this one 2-1.

I think the mighty Norwich's unbeaten run will come to an end today but what a run it has been!

Newcastle really need to get back on track and should beat QPR at home.

The Southampton - Sunderland match looks the most intriguing to me, that's a pick em.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 22 Dec 2012, 12:51 pm

Cheers FS,

I agree Sunderland - S'oton will be an interesting game, could really go either way.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:24 pm

Carlton Cole has scored 74 goals in his career; 16 less than Messi has scored this year.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:33 pm

Carlton Cole is crap, Messi isn't.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:53 pm

Laugh That's putting it bluntly
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 4:57 pm

Barry the worst midfielder in the EPL has probably just lengthened his career at City a while longer.

Unbelievable win for Newcastle. Ameobi the legend has done it! Gonna have to lie down.....

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 22 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

Bit harsh on Barry, Carrick or Allen take some beating there.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 5:09 pm

Lee Cattermole takes the worst PL midfielder hands down fellas.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 22 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

Can't believe it.

Last week off on when Liverpool are playing for the first time in a while, see a awful game against Villa.

This week, back working and miss a feel good result before Christmas. At least I'm back home and can watch Match of the Day.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 22 Dec 2012, 9:24 pm

Well it had to come to an end at some point!

Difference between the two teams were the strikers imo, Morison was utter crap meaning we never had an outlet or any basis to attack from second half, and Lukaku/Long were a handful.

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Dec 2012, 9:27 pm

It's been a helluva run though Olly me old china! Be a while before you go on a run like that again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 22 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm

Haha too true Freek!

To be honest now to be safe we need 5 wins.

We have a very tough period over Christmas with Chelsea (h), Man City (h) and West Ham (a) all in the week! I would be happy with a point from those 3 fixtures tbh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm

Daniel Sturridge is due to have a medical at Liverpool on Sunday OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 22 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

I hope for Liverpool's sake he fails
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sun 23 Dec 2012, 7:58 am

Fernando wrote:Daniel Sturridge is due to have a medical at Liverpool on Sunday OK

£12 million.

£60,000 a week.

Daniel Sturridge.

Sad

Please fail.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sun 23 Dec 2012, 9:52 am

Two disgraceful decisions at Upton Park yesterday. I've no idea what the ref was thinking but he needs to explain himself.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 23 Dec 2012, 10:21 am

Crimey wrote:
Fernando wrote:Daniel Sturridge is due to have a medical at Liverpool on Sunday OK

£12 million.

£60,000 a week.

Daniel Sturridge.

Sad

Please fail.

You mean he hasn't already??? He's done nothing since this time last year.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 23 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

Crimey wrote:

£12 million.

£60,000 a week.

Daniel Sturridge.

Sad

Please fail.

So I see Liverpool haven't learned anything from their previous 3 English transfers....

On another note, where is Sahin?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

Sturridge is a good player if hes not stuck on the wing. Play him through the middle and he'll score
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:26 pm

And Evra was doing so well recently.......
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:29 pm

GSC wrote:Sturridge is a good player if hes not stuck on the wing. Play him through the middle and he'll score

I agree. At Bolton he showed that when given a run he'll score goals. 8 in 12 PL games there is a more than decent return. Lets be honest here, he was always piddling in the wind at Chelsea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:30 pm

But the thing is in Rodgers's system at Liverpool will he really play through the middle?

I can't see Suarez playing out wide
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:37 pm

Rooney is having one of the worst games of anybody ever

Useless whenever he gets on the ball

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:42 pm

Olly wrote:But the thing is in Rodgers's system at Liverpool will he really play through the middle?

Given he has Sterling and Ince incoming and only 1 striker I'd imagine Sturridge will get his chances
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

Sturridge would've outscored Torres had the two had the same chances
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:45 pm

Swansea more than a match for United atm
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:48 pm

GSC wrote:
Olly wrote:But the thing is in Rodgers's system at Liverpool will he really play through the middle?

Given he has Sterling and Ince incoming and only 1 striker I'd imagine Sturridge will get his chances

I think for £12 million Chelsea are getting much the better end of the deal personally.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

I reserve judgement until Sturridge actually plays for Liverpool personally
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

Credit to Swansea, very good team and very organised, but united have been awful today

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 23 Dec 2012, 2:59 pm

Awful so far today, summed up by Rooney who has been absolutely terrible.

He'll need to pop up with the winner to look at his team mates afterwards.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:00 pm

Rooney has been awful
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

Williams, what a c bomb.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:07 pm

Yeah that's a penalty, easy decision.

Ah well.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

Pathetic performance.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

Evra out.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:23 pm

Well earned point for Swansea. Went into their shell a bit towards the end, but a match for United overall.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

Well going into the 90th minute yesterday City faced a potential 8 point deficit to Utd.

Now it is 4 pts
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 23 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

Ashley Williams was a rock today
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 21  Next