The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toshiaki Nishioka Retires

+4
TheMackemMawler
BoxingFan88
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
8 posters

Go down

Toshiaki Nishioka Retires Empty Toshiaki Nishioka Retires

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:33 pm

For anyone that's interested. Seen a bit of this guy over the years, good all round skill and very fast hands, had a 16 fight 8 year unbeaten run and probably quite rightly found himself in the lower echelons of the p4p top ten. Shame he didn't fight outside Japan more but then the majority of quality opposition at his weights are also Asian fighters. Gained a bit of acknowledgement over here when he outclassed Rendall Munroe. Says his defeat to Donaire has left him with nowhere to go in the sport, at 36 he's old for a super bantam so probably a good decision. I wouldn't have backed him to beat Donaire at any time but he'd have given him a closer fight 5 years ago. A good career comes to a close.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Toshiaki Nishioka Retires Empty Re: Toshiaki Nishioka Retires

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:51 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:A good career comes to a close.

Here here.

A well-earned retirement. Donaire reminded him of the gulf between very good and great and, at thirty-six, he's practically ancient for a 'little man.' A well-timed farewell, I think. Certainly had a fine career.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:58 pm

Great boxer, no shame in losing to Donaire, who at the moment looks like one of the greats of this generation.

Hopefully he stays retired, I imagine he made enough money.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 22 Nov 2012, 11:36 pm

So he's injury free and decided to retire?

Then I presume he thinks the time is right now, he's 36/37 and lost certain something, he probably feels he is no longer the boxer he once was and can't compete with the best.

Does that take anything away from Donaires win? Did he beat a shell?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 23 Nov 2012, 12:10 pm

Donaire's win still stands as a highly impressive one, TMM. Think that Nishioka was a shade past his best (he was particularly sharp between 2009-2010), but he would still have been a handful for most at his weight.

Thing is that a fighter can appear almost impregnable until a certain age, when things can unravel quite quickly. Roy Jones is the best recent example of this. At what point did he become a shell of himself? He was clearly past his best when struggling by Tarver in their first fight, but he was still seen as a considerable force, and rightly so. When Tarver KO'd him second time round, we knew for sure that Jones' prime was never coming back, but it would be unfair to Tarver to describe Jones as a shell on that evening. It stands as an excellent win, his career night.

So it was with Nishioka, who probably wouldn't have got near Donaire on his best night and was certainly no match for him when he had started to regress. The fight will still be seen as further evidence of Donaire's greatness in years to come and that's as it should be, in my opinion.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 23 Nov 2012, 8:25 pm

even though he has stayed at home an awful lot i think he does have the names on his record to be considered a great fighter. the loss to donaire was the passing of the torch for the division, but he can be very proud.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:07 pm

why is Nishioka considered so good?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:17 pm

Becasue he was MM - watch some of his fights, especially against Munroe, Marquez and Garcia. Top top boxers, just got a bit old and Donaire is incredible - probably the only man at the weight currently who'd beat him, and to be fair to the bloke he's decided to hang them up as he's decided Donaire is a step too far.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:19 pm

Oriental boxers just don't capture the imagination do they????..Most can't speak English...

Hence they make good money fighting at home....

Trouble is genuine talent like Khaosai Galaxy gets overlooked when it comes to the legacy and placement game.......

Shame really.......

Good luck to the guy............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:26 pm

Had a feeling he was JM, just wasn't sure. Hadn't seen much of him (i'm not even sure if i'm a boxing fan anymore), anyway, after writing what i wrote i watched some of the Marquez fight (before you suggested it) and was quite impressed.

He seems a good boxer with poor pop against decent opposition.

I'll watch some of the other fights you suggest when i get time. cheers.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 23 Nov 2012, 10:31 pm

He's even better in sparring.......... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down