The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch - getting too big for his boots?

+24
OasisBFC
Seanusarrilius
Sugar Floyd Louis
seanmichaels
TopHat24/7
superflyweight
Imperial Ghosty
Melkor
rodders
Bartley Gorman
School Project
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
two_tone
captain carrantuohil
Rowley
Soldier_Of_Fortune
milkyboy
Interceptor
AlexHuckerby
no-mas
Gordy
88Chris05
Steffan
BOXIMUS PRIME
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch - getting too big for his boots? Empty Froch - getting too big for his boots?

Post by BOXIMUS PRIME Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi guys

Carl Froch has amassed a great record over the years, he has won the admiration of boxing fans all over the world with his bravery and willingness to fight whoever where ever but recently Froch has been running his gums a little too much.

His reaction to Ricky Hatton's short comeback was insulting in my opinion putting Ricky down as if Ricky was not down enough. He seems to be crossing over into some sort of boxing heel. It was plain to see to all before and after the fight that Ricky was coming from a real dark place in his life and the best we could do was to offer support win or loose yet Froch took it as a way to twist the dagger in.

If you look on youtube you can find an interview where Froch shocks the interviewer by saying that he is not a fan of Ali. When asked why Froch stupidly states that he does not respect Ali's style and only likes fighters who come to fight as he puts it and then remarkably mentions Roy Jones Jr as an example???

When Froch is involved in a fight where he comes close to death as Ali did against Frazier in Manilla then he can talk until then shut up.
I like Froch but him and that bird of his are getting on my plucking wick.

BOXIMUS PRIME

Back to top Go down

Froch - getting too big for his boots? Empty Re: Froch - getting too big for his boots?

Post by Steffan Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Whatever peoples opinion of him in the ring...the guy is a total class A lowlife outside of it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Froch - getting too big for his boots? Empty Re: Froch - getting too big for his boots?

Post by BOXIMUS PRIME Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm

To be fair he used to be alright when he was begging for attention but now I think he has gone the way of his old buddy David Haye with the brashness.

Remember how cocky he was in his face off or head to head with the always humble always respectful Andre Ward???

"Im gonna knock him out"

Ward schooled him.

BOXIMUS PRIME

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

The guy is a waster

The sooner someone gives him a good career ending beating the better

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BOXIMUS PRIME Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I don't want to see that but I would like to see him get totally schooled again.

If I could go back in time and get any super middle to put a whooping on Nottingham's finest then I would get 93/94 James Toney to shut him and his bird up.

BOXIMUS PRIME

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Steffan wrote:The sooner someone gives him a good career ending beating the better

I thought you told us that Ward had already done that, Steffan?

Whistle

Anyway, as much as I like Froch, he does have a tendancy to get a little carried away at times. He's a passionate, opinionated man who says what's on his mind, which isn't necessarily always a bad thing - the problem with Carl is that, just every now and then, his mouth seems to be running a few seconds ahead of his mind!

That said, I think the Ward fight was a humbling experience for him and he's generally been much more measured and thought-out in his statements since then. Froch isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he shouldn't be the target of anyone's ire, I don't think. Without mentioning any names, there are plenty of other fighters out there who talk a lot more guff than Froch and do it with far less intelligence and wit, too. Carl's always seemed a good bloke (and a very genuine one) any time I've spoken to him, at the very least.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:22 am

I am glad you posted this you are absolutely spot on. Froch is a bitter, nasty individual who cant take that fighters like Hatton and Calzaghe were true boxing legends and he is not. Sky hyping him up all the time is not helping because people are overrating him badly and he probably believes the hype himself. People should watch Calzaghes fights against guys like Eubank, Lacy and Jones to see what a great champion he was. Oh and dont forget Kessler who Calzaghe outclassed and then Froch lost to! The guy is kidding himself and tries to disrespect other great fighters. I cant believe he said that about Ali, what a tool he is. Tells you all you need to know about him!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 am

Im not understanding why there has been this backlash against Carl Froch lately, I was watching the Hatton fight with Froch as a pundit and I don't recall at any point before, during or after the fight when he said anything bitter or nasty or twisted the knife. As memory serves he said what most have been saying, Hatton has been great for British boxing however he didn't have anything left and his post fight speech was quite alarming for someone who has has demons in the past, he said hopefully Hatton can get the help he needs to avoid that black hole again. I feel Carl has been getting some undue stick for saying what most have already been saying, including people on this very forum

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 am

I actually thought he was slightly harsh on Hatton, however I would also say that nothing he said was incorrect either. Just it was a bit harsh, and perhpas someone with his influence and in his position could have been a bit softer on Ricky, who was clearly suffering at that moment in time. To be fair to Carl, the man says what is on his mind and he generally doesn't pull no punches, he gives his opinion, you don't always have to agree with it as it is his opinion. It doesn't make him some super villain.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Interceptor Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 am

Steffan wrote:The guy is a waster

How is he a waster? Is he jobless? Does he scrounge?

Interceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:19 am

... No, but he's English and used to call out calzaghe

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Interceptor Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:21 am

milkyboy wrote:... No, but he's English and used to call out calzaghe

Sweet jesus the temerity of the guy!

Interceptor

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:30 am

Steffan wrote:The guy is a waster

Nice to see you back Steff. And you have not changed one bit Hug

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 am

There are two ways of looking at it, in slagging off other pros Froch does seem to be breaking the unwritten code of professional courtesy that exists in sport and does run the risk of coming across a little bitter and mean spirited.

However on the flipside on many times the things he is saying are only what a lot of normal fans are saying anyway and tend to have a nub of truth to them. Did not hear his comments on Hatton at the weekend but from what I can gather Froch said he looked awful and should perhaps have stayed retired. Well when we cut through all the "lets not pick on lovely Ricky" guff Froch is actually right, Hatton was pretty much dreadful at the weekend. From my own perspective if it was a choice of having Froch telling me as it was or Richie Woodhall telling me Hatton was winning at a canter and had won rounds I had clearly just seen him lose with my own eyes, I'll take the former.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 am

I'm afraid that I don't see why Ricky needs "our support, win or lose". One has a fellow feeling of sympathy for his travails, but as boxing fans, observers or commentators, we are not his doctor or his priest. For us, it is a matter of looking dispassionately at his performance and calling it as we saw it.

Carl Froch did just that, no more and no less. So far as I can see, that is an ideal quality in a summariser. As Jeff says, it is infinitely preferable to the blind jingoism that we usually have to endure in this country. Here, Hatton's performance was a dismal one and it would serve no purpose, assist no-one, to pretend otherwise. I'm sure that we all fervently hope that Ricky's life will now be lighter and that his troubles will recede, but that has little to do with any rational assessment of his showing against Senchenko.

It's a great shame that the misguided, the cantankerous and the terminally thick are now queueing up to rubbish a man who is beyond question Britain's premier fighter of the moment, simply because he had the audacity to offer an honest opinion. It's not as though Froch was wrong, either.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 am

Well said Captain and Rowley, got to agree with everything you put above. Hatton is finished and as much as almost all of us wish him well it is simply a fact he is done and should never have returned. Perhaps with his choice of opponent, having only lost to the elite level and doing so well to get himself into shape we thought he might have a shot at winning. On reflection however weighing up everything he has done over the last 3 years out of ring, his style of fighting before and those knockout losses, are any of us really that surprised it ended in tears? Froch is spot on, maybe a little blunt but at least he has his own opinion and doesnt follow the blind.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:53 am

Does anyone have a link to his comment or at least some quotes so we can at least know what he said

Hattons comeback was a disaster and as others said its better to tell it how it is than try to suck up to someone

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

I don't mind him as long as he doesn't talk about himself...

"Warrior, trenches, warrior" is all that he seems to say in a build up to a fight.

That said, he doesn't mind giving his opinion which is quite refreshing in retrospect to the likes of the Sky team who will bury their head in any Hearns fighters buttocks and give the hard sell on the worst opponents possible (yes, I know they're promoting the fight but they are borderline breaching a Sales of Good act!).

I like to form an opinion on a fighter myself on whether he is shot, rubbish etc etc... If Froch merely said that he didn't think Hatton should come back (as did Manny Pacquaio and a load of others) then that's HIS opinion and he's entitled to it. Afterall he is a World Champion and as much as Steffan hates it, is probably our P4P No.1 at present.

I don't see anything malicious in it... though his comments on Khan have been a little "handbags" in the past.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:25 am

Maybe he's following the Mayweather blueprint and turning heel to get attention.

When he was Mr Nice Guy he got no airtime, now he's upsetting people, his name is out there and he's being spoken about.

Its all about making that money!!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 am

Bartley Gorman wrote:
When he was Mr Nice Guy he got no airtime, now he's upsetting people, his name is out there and he's being spoken about.

Its all about making that money!!

Totally agree. Froch has spent most of his career under the radar whilst guys who have done much less actual talking in the ring - Haye, Kahn, Harrison etc - have been getting a much bigger slice of the media pie.

I don't blame him for feeling bitter and trying to milk what he can now finanically in the latter stages of his career. Unfortunately he isn't actually Mr Charisma in front of the camera and he doesn't come across the most convincing or likeable bloke when trying to hype himself a-la the hayemaker or his old nemises Calzaghe....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by BOXIMUS PRIME Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 pm

Froch is and has always been bitter about his entitlement to household name status. Calzaghe was not the most engaging character yet he is known throughout the country and was even named sports personality of the year.

Froch has had a better career and fought better fighters but he is nowhere near Calzaghe's status. Froch is bitter and turning into our very own Larry Holmes.

BOXIMUS PRIME

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkor Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 pm

milkyboy wrote:... No, but he's English and used to call out calzaghe

This and only this. Steffan AKA Gordy AKA Boximus Prime trapped in an endlessly looped circle-jerk. This forum used to be much better. Seems to be the same six or seven people sniping, trolling, and generally being very, very repetitive.

Melkor

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:43 pm

In what way has he shown any bitterness recently? Is it because he spoke truthfully about hatton?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:44 pm

Gordy wrote:I am glad you posted this you are absolutely spot on. Froch is a bitter, nasty individual who cant take that fighters like Hatton and Calzaghe were true boxing legends and he is not. Sky hyping him up all the time is not helping because people are overrating him badly and he probably believes the hype himself. People should watch Calzaghes fights against guys like Eubank, Lacy and Jones to see what a great champion he was. Oh and dont forget Kessler who Calzaghe outclassed and then Froch lost to! The guy is kidding himself and tries to disrespect other great fighters. I cant believe he said that about Ali, what a tool he is. Tells you all you need to know about him!

-1 (if only I could go back in time and never see this post).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Not sure why I'm supposed to give Ricky Hatton any special love and support. He's gone through nothing a million others haven't in this country, the only difference being few else have had several million sitting in the bank.

Loved him as a fighter and as a person when he was active but couldn't care less after that.

Froch's done nothing wrong in my eyes (and ears) having watched him Saturday. Agree with everything Rowley, Captain and Bartley/Rodders have said.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Not sure why I'm supposed to give Ricky Hatton any special love and support. He's gone through nothing a million others haven't in this country, the only difference being few else have had several million sitting in the bank.

That remains to be seen.........

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Melkor Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:25 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Not sure why I'm supposed to give Ricky Hatton any special love and support. He's gone through nothing a million others haven't in this country, the only difference being few else have had several million sitting in the bank.

Even if has has nothing left in the bank, I don't see why that should garner sympathy. He's had more than most of the populace will ever see, so forgive me if I don't shed a tear.

Melkor

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 pm

seanmichaels wrote:

What remains to be seen?

Did he earn millions? Yes. Did he squander it on massive mansions, fleets of luxury vehicles or knocking up dozens of slappers (e.g. Holyfield)? No. Did his career get r*** by promoters? Mostly no.

He's a humble guy who despite his fortune bought a relatively modest house round the corner from his parents. He also earnt good money outside of boxing, after-dinner speaking for example, so I doubt he's exactly a pauper now. The only place his money has been wasted is up his nose.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:14 pm

I'm surprised he can breathe through that snout of his let alone anything else, its flatter than Tara Palmer Tomkinson's chest.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

two_tone wrote:I'm surprised he can breathe through that snout of his let alone anything else, its flatter than Tara Palmer Tomkinson's chest.

Hahaha!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

What remains to be seen?

Did he earn millions? Yes. Did he squander it on massive mansions, fleets of luxury vehicles or knocking up dozens of slappers (e.g. Holyfield)? No. Did his career get r*** by promoters? Mostly no.

He's a humble guy who despite his fortune bought a relatively modest house round the corner from his parents. He also earnt good money outside of boxing, after-dinner speaking for example, so I doubt he's exactly a pauper now. The only place his money has been wasted is up his nose.

Combined business debt of at least £3.5m. You wonder what rates he's getting on that borrowing? Must be good if he's not settling it from his 'personal fortune'.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:39 pm

And his career earnings were what? £20m+? Must've got £10m each for just for his two big losing fights.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Ricky Hatton Net Worth

TweetBoxing record: Total fights: 47, Wins: 45, Wins by KO: 32, Losses: 2

Retired British professional boxer and a current boxing promoter, Richard John “Ricky” Hatton has a net worth of £26 million as of May 2012, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

http://www.therichest.org/celebnetworth/category/athletes/boxer/

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Less than six minutes in the ring with Pacquiao earned Hatton £12 million, taking his career prize money to £37 million.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Less than six minutes in the ring with Pacquiao earned Hatton £12 million, taking his career prize money to £37 million.

WOW, Ricky really did rake it in didnt he!!

Well deserved though. He did provide stella entertainment!!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Less than six minutes in the ring with Pacquiao earned Hatton £12 million, taking his career prize money to £37 million. Since 2009, he has been promoting fights through Hatton Promotions, which handles boxers such as his brother, Matthew. Hatton’s main company, Punch Promotions, went from a £7.8 million profit to a £2.47 million loss in 2010 when its net assets fell by £2.2 million to £25.6 million.

The bit you left out makes things interesting. As I mentioned, you wonder why he doesn't pay off the debt in his other businesses. I think it is likely the £25.6m assets mentioned above refers to the shareholder value (I referred to this on the other thread). How much of that 'value' is realisable is anyone's guess but it seems as sure as hell that there was not enough to pay off the debts of his other failing ventures.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Why pay-off business debt with personal cash? Never do that. Bad economics/personal finance. A bit like paying off your student loan quicker than you need to, big no-no.

You can wrap liabilities up in a business, collapse it and walkaway with all your personal wealth intact (e.g. how Frank Warren screwed Calzaghe). Be madness to do otherwise.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartley Gorman Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:18 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Why pay-off business debt with personal cash? Never do that. Bad economics/personal finance. A bit like paying off your student loan quicker than you need to, big no-no.

You can wrap liabilities up in a business, collapse it and walkaway with all your personal wealth intact (e.g. how Frank Warren screwed Calzaghe). Be madness to do otherwise.

100% right!!

My uncle always said "im going out owing" and he's a successful business man! Thats how they roll!

Bartley Gorman

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm

And this is why I scrape by on the average wage. Not worth being morally seaworthy these days it seems.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Floyd Louis Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Loved him as a fighter and as a person when he was active but couldn't care less after that.

Froch's done nothing wrong in my eyes (and ears) having watched him Saturday. Agree with everything Rowley, Captain and Bartley/Rodders have said.

me too

Sugar Floyd Louis

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Froch's done nothing wrong in my eyes (and ears) having watched him Saturday. Agree with everything Rowley, Captain and Bartley/Rodders have said.

Charming! Miss out the first guy to step in. I might start slagging off other posters to get some mainstream attention.

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:39 pm

haha sorry no-mas!! I kind of skipped past your post as it was in the middle of all the Steffan & Gordy dross.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:haha sorry no-mas!! I kind of skipped past your post as it was in the middle of all the Steffan & Gordy dross.

I will let you off then tophat Hug I agree with your comments on why does Hatton (who I was a fan of) get extra affection from the public when he has enough money and contacts to help himself. Also people say its because he was a man of the people, man of the people don't charge £15 ppv and your cheapest tickets above £40 for a nothing special fight your were expecting to win

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:55 pm

Welcome Boxinus Prime. I look forward ot checking to see which of our established posters you are and seeing you disappear Froch - getting too big for his boots? 1347041234

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Steffan wrote:Whatever peoples opinion of him in the ring...the guy is a total class A lowlife outside of it

i can see why he splits opinion but he was one of the nicest people i've met. he's very dry and not one to hug and kiss everyone he meets but he was a top bloke and i bumped into him over a yea after and he remembered me which is rare.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 pm

OasisBFC wrote:
Steffan wrote:Whatever peoples opinion of him in the ring...the guy is a total class A lowlife outside of it

i can see why he splits opinion but he was one of the nicest people i've met. he's very dry and not one to hug and kiss everyone he meets but he was a top bloke and i bumped into him over a yea after and he remembered me which is rare.

This is Steffan you're talking to O, have you not met him before...?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:18 pm

I like Hatton as much as the next bloke, and really wanted his comeback fight to work out, and for a minute I actually thought he would pull it off.

That being said, and as decent a guy as he may be, he isn't some sort of saint. He is a little working class bloke who made millions out of beating up people slightly worse at boxing than he was, until he fought two other little blokes who were a fair bit better at boxing. And he made £30 million+

So like I said, I like Hatton and really wanted him to win at the weekend, but a little perspective is in oder and I reckon Froch delivered it. I hope Hatton gets over the depression etc but frankly talking about knives and suicide at every press conferance was getting tedious.

BTW Froch is the best British fighter out there at the moment and deserves far more respect after being in the wilderness for the past 4-5 years desptie amassing a record 10 times better than Hatton, I say he should get all the media work and ££££'s he can get, he's earnt it.

Last edited by NathanDB10 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 pm

OasisBFC wrote: and he remembered me which is rare.

awhh, i'm sure you're not that easy to forget, Blur Lfc

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BOXIMUS PRIME Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Welcome Boxinus Prime. I look forward ot checking to see which of our established posters you are and seeing you disappear Froch - getting too big for his boots? 1347041234

Its me ONETWO.

Unfairly banned from the forum for a mistake.

Not even a warning or caution just banned for good. Why? must be personal I have been a member of the 606 family for years even before you sean. Seems a bit harsh that you can get banned for good without even a caution for a lapse in error. Criminals get better treatment.

Anyway I thought I could just walk away but there is no one else I can talk boxing with I had to come back somehow.

BOXIMUS PRIME

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:18 pm

BOXIMUS PRIME wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:Welcome Boxinus Prime. I look forward ot checking to see which of our established posters you are and seeing you disappear Froch - getting too big for his boots? 1347041234

Its me ONETWO.

Unfairly banned from the forum for a mistake.

Not even a warning or caution just banned for good. Why? must be personal I have been a member of the 606 family for years even before you sean. Seems a bit harsh that you can get banned for good without even a caution for a lapse in error. Criminals get better treatment.

Anyway I thought I could just walk away but there is no one else I can talk boxing with I had to come back somehow.

Happens to the best of us.........

Do agree about summary dismissals. There really should be a naughty list so you see who copped it and whether you want to remain with the knowledge that the miscreant has been dispatched. Really is very quiet during work hours.......

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next