The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win

3 posters

Go down

Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win Empty Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win

Post by hawkeye Wed 28 Nov - 16:43

Federer once said after a loss and having to explain why that he had "created a monster". He had! The reward for being exceptionally good is the expectation is that you will always win. Winning is no longer such a big achievement it is the norm. Not only that but any loss now takes on the proportions of a disaster. It will often be viewed as the beginning of the end if not the end itself. That's a monster weight to have to carry on your shoulders whilst running about trying to hit backhands against players with no such burden.

There is no bigger "monster" in tennis than Nadal on clay. Not only is he expected to win but he is expected to do it in style. A dropped set, a dropped game or even being taken to deuce are all greeted with a sort of communal intake of breath, shaking of heads. Losing two matches to Djokovic as he did in 2011 was considered by many to be a sign that not only was Nadal no longer the King of clay but that now by beating him Djokovic was. Ha ha! If only becoming the King of clay was that simple. This all left Nadal in a difficult position to say the least especially when he played on clay. He really must have felt like he had "created a monster". But how he won the next five important matches on clay was impressive to say the least.

In an interview before RG in 2011 he said "He wasn't obliged to win RG". But he was! Not because of the prestige of winning but because of what a disaster it would be if he didn't. Amazingly somehow he did win despite playing poorly in the early rounds. His win wasn't greeted with much excitement though because it was something that had been seen many times.

At the end of 2011 after what for Nadal was a poor year he returned to clay for the Davis Cup final. Nadal had to win the Davis Cup for Spain. No disrespect to the other Spanish team members (and most of all Ferrer) but the 26,000 mainly Spanish crowd came to see Nadal or the monster he had created win. They were already celebrating the win before what they assumed would be the deciding rubber between Nadal an Del Potro. I'm struggling to think of an occasion when any player has had to play with this sort of pressure. To make matters worse Nadal came out very nervous and played poorly. Losing the first set 1-6 and going down a break in the second. A loss looked likely but remarkably Nadal somehow found his best tennis and went on to win.

This year in the Monte Carlo despite having won for 7 straight years Nadal was not the favourite when he faced Djokovic (who as everyone knows had beaten him in seven previous finals). But he won. Holding a title for eight years for many wasn't as exciting as the prospect of talking about a new "king of clay" so again Nadal had averted disaster but it was all a little predictable (to some)

Nadal beat Djokovic again in Rome and perhaps more significantly at Roland Garros. But again these are not the sort of sensational wins that gain attention, celebration or even respect. Maybe what we want from champions is not consistency but the excitement of the new. But it is far easier for a first time winner. The sort of pressure that players like Nadal experience is difficult to relate to. Maybe that is the reason it isn't always appreciated. At least Nadal knows one person (or monster) who would understand.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win Empty Re: Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 12:08

I read this quote by a Nadal fan in an article I read recently

"No matter what this guy does, by some, it will never be seen as good enough"

I agree with that but I fear that it will be truer than ever this year and I think all Nadal fans will have to expect that 2013 is going to be difficult for him and us.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win Empty Re: Creating A Monster: Playing With Everything To Lose And Little To Win

Post by lags72 Thu 29 Nov - 12:18

H-n : I get the sense (wrongly or rightly ?... Headscratch ) that you do sometimes seem to talk yourself into a mood of unnecessary despair and fear of untold gruesome happenings.

Rafa has achieved pretty much all there is to be achieved in the game, his talent will not disappear and his legacy is already secure.

2013 will be a LOT more "difficult" for many other players, not least those struggling at the lower elechons to work their way up the ladder.

Just a thought .........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 12:48

lags you may be right
Having not seen him in action to ascertain what physical condition he is in I have, as I have aready said, got a half empty glass. !!! I am at any rate suffering with an anxiety disorder so the doctor tells me so it applies to everything at the moment. Im a bit of a worrywort drumroll I so want to see him back where he belongs but I feel that if Im prepared for the worst then I wont be disappointed... not good logic I know but keep telling me how wrong I am lags and eventually I will believe you Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 29 Nov - 12:59

Ok H-n.

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching but ......I'd say look after yourself and ultimately Rafa will be fine.

It's understandable that you want to see him back to his best. Personally I doubt you'll have to wait too long, but of course that's just my view.

However, if - for whatever reason - that it a) simply doesn't happen or b) takes a little while to happen, then I'm sure you'll agree that the world of tennis - let alone the world in general - will not suddenly implode.

Cuidado Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 13:08

No lags I know you are right and thank you... I MIGHT implode but the world wont.
Yes Im sure he will be fine.. so looking forward to seeing him back.
In fact to be honest Im looking forward to the start of the new season in General ... the excitement will be too much for me Erm

But just as a side line.. my lovely Spanish Doctor (her name is Consuello) said she would give me some tablets to...... wait for it.... "calm your soul".. how lovely is that kiss bless her

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 29 Nov - 13:16

There you go ! Now you're on the right track.

Even your doctor's name (although spelt with only one 'l' surely ....?) means hope and consolation.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 13:34

Yes you are right again (just checked my S.I.P. card) only one bliddy L... dont you just love being right Laugh I never realised her name meant that.. it suits her she is absolutely fantastic...lovely lady. Better keep your beedy eye on me
lags .. in case I "serve in he net" again Ok!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 29 Nov - 14:24

Wasn't trying to be smart H-n, but I studied castellano Spanish to a decent standard (university level). Although it's pretty rusty these days because I mostly only get to use it when on holiday, a certain amount has stuck with me !

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 15:00

I didn´t think for a minute you were trying to be smart lags... if you´ve got it use it is what I say. I speak a little of the lingo.. not too well but I get understood. I was taught by a man who was born in Madrid and spent 30 yrs in the UK... in this part of the world it is more Catalan and even he cant understand them at times... very lazy Spanish. Still as I say I get by but thats about it. The Spaniards are very accommodating here and they make it too easy for us Brits. Their English is better than our Spanish

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 29 Nov - 15:53

Haddie-nuff wrote:lags you may be right
Having not seen him in action to ascertain what physical condition he is in I have, as I have aready said, got a half empty glass. !!! I am at any rate suffering with an anxiety disorder so the doctor tells me so it applies to everything at the moment. Im a bit of a worrywort drumroll I so want to see him back where he belongs but I feel that if Im prepared for the worst then I wont be disappointed... not good logic I know but keep telling me how wrong I am lags and eventually I will believe you Very Happy

But Haddie! By spending all this time preparing for the worst and thinking the worst you are not saving yourself from disappointment you are spending all this time BEING disappointed. That's a lot of disappointment to deal with before anything disappointing has happened.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 29 Nov - 17:09

yeh OK HE I know what your saying.. same as lags really,.. Im terrible for pre-emptying situations Im always being told off for it I know.. As Ive said Im a worrywort Im not a Rafa fan Im a Rafa gran that my problem. Ill try to stay positive and have the belief that he will be back fighting fit..I promise. Come on Rafa we can do it LOL Yahoo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down