The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Moore - love him or hate him?

+40
ChequeredJersey
alive555
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
GunsGerms
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
BlueNote
TrailApe
lostinwales
Bathman_in_London
TycroesOsprey
UlstermaninGlasgow
thebandwagonsociety
kingjohn7
IanBru
Portnoy's Complaint
Morgannwg
Smirnoffpriest
LemonyVodka5
RuggerRadge2611
sheephead
aitchw
The Bachelor
charliehesketh
bathmad
Looseheaded
eirebilly
MrsP
screamingaddabs
George Carlin
SecretFly
gregortree
doctor_grey
thebluesmancometh
majesticimperialman
offload
NeilyBroon
Tramptastic
nobbled
Cryptoyourisan
TJ1
44 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brian Moore - love him or hate him? - Page 2 Empty Brian Moore - love him or hate him?

Post by TJ1 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 4:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

As a keen scots fan he has been a bogey figure for many a year - but I do enjoy his commentry.

Two real gems today - an Aus player chipped over the line and took a dive " Get up footballer"

A bit of s scuffle "It not even real fighting"

I do like an honest man who wears his heart on his sleeve - dunno if I can cope with him at the calcutta cup tho

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Brian Moore - love him or hate him? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Moore - love him or hate him?

Post by nobbled Mon 10 Dec 2012, 1:47 pm

When he was a player apparently he used to get up especially early on the day of England France games so that he could "hate them for longer"
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Brian Moore - love him or hate him? - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Moore - love him or hate him?

Post by GunsGerms Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:01 pm

Not surprised he said that. I have heard him say other quasi xenaphobic things re the French. Not sure what his hang up is with the french but he does cross the line a little there at times.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:05 pm

To be fair it was on a radio program when he was asked if that was a true quote - he said it wasn't but he was going to steal it for after dinner speeches.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 10 Dec 2012, 2:09 pm

He is sending himself up and playing up his 'French' combative image. He loved wummaging the French front row, and getting them carded during critical games back in the day.
Now it has become part of his 'brand'. I'm glad he is not the polished professional commentator, brings much needed colour to the commentary box.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:16 pm

Got to love Brian Moore both as a player and as a commentator. I enjoyed watching him winding up French forwards to the point of eruption & now enjoy listening to his commentry.
I remember him slating Alain Roland during the England V France game the other year. 'I don't care if he can speak French fluently, it just means he get it wrong in two languages'.
Butler just let out a huge sigh....

Pinched this from the thugby thread:

by GunsGerms Today at 10:12 am

.I liked Brian Moore's commentry on a recent England v France match. An English player punched a French guy in the face and Moore said ...oh we dont like to see that in rugby, then paused and said actually thats not true I think we all like to see a good fight which is if your honest absolutly true.

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 7:55 am

hes not stupid by any means but he isnt smart enougth to work out that a good pundit is neutral- and he certainly isnt.

only talks about england this and england that which is truly warning

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 11 Dec 2012, 8:46 am

A good pundit doesn't have to be neutral, that's one of the reasons yet work in pairs.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:01 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:A good pundit doesn't have to be neutral, that's one of the reasons yet work in pairs.

Indeed. IMO Moore now has the balance between neutral pundit and passionate fan about right. It took a while tho. He brings colour to the gme.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 11 Dec 2012, 11:01 pm

One good thing about Moore is that he does try to learn more about the game. When he started getting obsessed by referreeing decisions, he went to get qualified himself. When he writes about the administration of the sport, or aspects like citing procedures, you see his legal mind ticking over.

The results aren't always for the better. He realized he didn't know enough about back play, so listened to those who did. What that means now is that he has two or three scenarios he can identify and often tries to make what he's watching fit those patterns,

As a TV pundit, I'd prefer him to take each match on its own merits rather than as the latest episode in "Brian Moore Explains What's Wrong With Referees". Still, at least he gives the impression of trying to stay current with the game, which is certainly not true of some former players.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Its amazing how much he seems to have won folk over. He used to be utterly despised by anyone with the slightest whiff of non English tendencies.

I assume its partly the influence of the depressive amounts of banality that have crept into most coverage, people are increasingly aware and appreciative of someone who has something of worth to say.

Yes, Peter - we have regressed to a risible level from the heights of St Bill of McLaren. Brian Moore - love him or hate him? - Page 2 589312
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:40 am

Bill McLaren was entertaining. He reflected his amateur times.

He loved his Borders and Sottish rugby. But he did reflect his time when rugby was all public school and establishment. His howitzer clichés and enthusiasm belied and involved the TV audience. But commonly he called players (even sides) wrongly - but he had to do the lot - commentary, analysis, punditry and scene-setting.

And way better than Peter West, his predecessor.

But progressively his amateur roots never never adjusted to the progression of shamateurism, and on retirement was a complete dinosaur.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Thu 13 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

greytiger wrote:Bill McLaren was entertaining. He reflected his amateur times.

He loved his Borders and Sottish rugby. But he did reflect his time when rugby was all public school and establishment. His howitzer clichés and enthusiasm belied and involved the TV audience. But commonly he called players (even sides) wrongly - but he had to do the lot - commentary, analysis, punditry and scene-setting.

And way better than Peter West, his predecessor.

But progressively his amateur roots never never adjusted to the progression of shamateurism, and on retirement was a complete dinosaur.

I agree. He was of his time. I only heard, as a young girl, his later commentaries and he seemed to me a little out of his depth. I am surprised however that you have not received a torrent of abuse. My father holds him in high esteem, telling me that he only had to hear his voice pre TV match to feel nervous. That is a mark of quality. Respect.

Brian Moore.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Its amazing how much he seems to have won folk over. He used to be utterly despised by anyone with the slightest whiff of non English tendencies.

I assume its partly the influence of the depressive amounts of banality that have crept into most coverage, people are increasingly aware and appreciative of someone who has something of worth to say

The arch W maybe has this right. I have on my bookshelf Beware of the Dog, an excellent read. Previous to this I had read his Telegraph columns. Previously I (Welsh) had held "View to the Gym" anti English feelings towards him grouping him with the still malignant Austin Healey. However he is anything but (Youngs) posh school boy establishment.
I think Moore makes for an excellent co commentator and works well with broadcaster and poet Butler.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Dec 2012, 8:54 am

I used to not like Moore particularly as as a player he was abrasive, confrontational and brash. As a commenrator however, even though I dont agree with a lot of what he says there is something, honest, something almost vunerable and likable about him. He has grown on me.

JG comes accross as a complete naughty naughty boy though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:36 am

SHOCK NEWS:
Hooker Brioan Moore considered 'abrasive, confrontational, and brash'. Asked for their opinion, professional hookers 'Ronnie' Regan, Olly Azam, Sean Fitzpatrick, John Smit, Keith Wood, Dylan hartley, Andre Hore say they are shocked at hearing of this kind of attitude in a fellow hooker. 'There is no place in rugby for this sort of thing... especially in hookers'.

Meanwhile, NZ hookers broke up steet furniture in protest:

"Parking signs in New Zealand's biggest city are under threat - from hookers who are swinging round the metal poles to entice customers.
Over 40 poles have been bent, buckled or broken in
one area of south Auckland, it is claimed. Hookers use these (street sign poles) as dancing poles,' said Donna Lee, a member of the city council's Otara-Papatoetoe Local Board. "

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2174902/New-Zealand-traffic-signs-destroyed-prostitutes-performing-street-pole-dances.html#ixzz2F1JwqU97
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:16 pm

gregortree wrote:SHOCK NEWS:
Hooker Brioan Moore considered 'abrasive, confrontational, and brash'. Asked for their opinion, professional hookers 'Ronnie' Regan, Olly Azam, Sean Fitzpatrick, John Smit, Keith Wood, Dylan hartley, Andre Hore say they are shocked at hearing of this kind of attitude in a fellow hooker. 'There is no place in rugby for this sort of thing... especially in hookers'.

Gregor, I was referring to his off the field personality. Maybe that wasnt clear. Also it didnt help that when he played England routinely pummelled Ireland every year because I'm Irish but hey.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:30 pm

Guns,
I was just being tongue in cheek mate Hug it made me laugh a bit.
Moore has mellowed out a little, not too much, as he brings much colour to the comm box. OK

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:50 pm

1646 posts about an RTE drama series?????

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm

Shame they dont export Love/Hate abroad. Id say it might be popular. Tis a great show.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Dec 2012, 12:54 pm

Have to admit I've never watched it!........... more a movie/documentary man if I do watch TV. But I think it is being shown already in places - I've heard Australia and other places. And I think an American company is interested in making an American version...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 14 Dec 2012, 10:24 pm

I think the right word is "suffer", as in we suffer Brian Moore's commentary and articles.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm

Moore is superb.... he pisses me off then he makes me urine myself laughing
He is passionate, honest and knowledgeable. He is english and doesn't pretend he's not.
Hes not a bore or a fence sitter

Probably easy to hate him, but not for more than 5 minutes

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 15 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm

He could probably do a pretty good job on your nails too...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2