The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N?

+7
nathan
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Mad for Chelsea
freeman lowell
thomh
doctor_grey
king_carlos
11 posters

Go down

Hartley or Youngs to start 6 nations

Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Vote_lcap79%Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Vote_rcap 79% 
[ 26 ]
Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Vote_lcap21%Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Vote_rcap 21% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 33

Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Empty Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N?

Post by king_carlos Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:49 pm

One of several interesting questions posed to England with players coming back from injury is whether Hartley or Youngs will start come the Six Nations. I'm of course assuming that one of Lancasters permanent changes to the EPS will be Youngs for Webber given the formers impressive autumn.

Personally I've been hugely impressed with Tom Youngs throughout the AI's. I think he's played very well in the loose in almost all aspects (defence, carrying and groundwork) has looked solid in the scrum and other than the SA game looked much better in the line-out than many expected. Also it's very clear the coaches are all big fans to have backed him both for the Summer Tour and these four games with so little experience. The really pleasing thing from an England fan point of view is that he offers the sort of carrying, aggressive defence and groundwork that we've been lacking a but for a few years now.

On the other side we've got Hartley who prior to injury was impressing more and more. He was a standout player on the summer tour and gives England some added experience in an inexperienced side with 42 caps and his leadership abilities. He also adds a bit of extra bulk that Youngs doesn't have given he's a couple of inches taller and 10kg heavier.

Personally I'd be pretty happy with either at the moment but if I had to pick one I'd go Hartley to start and Youngs on the bench.

On a side note I've got to feel for Rob Webber given the timing of his recent injuries as I thought he'd earnt a place on the bench. He's another very strong player in the loose, especially defensively, to add to the mix. Though his throwing needs a bit of work from many accounts.

Last edited by king_carlos on Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Empty Re: Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N?

Post by doctor_grey Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:50 pm

Youngs is still very much a work in progress. Despite the whole team playing well today, Hartley, for me, is still head and shoulders above Youngs.

Regarding Farrell v. Flood, right now we have to go with Farrell. I still think he is not consistently the playmaker we need, and perhaps will never be. But he was considered almost equal with Flood before today, and was part of the big win. That alone earns another start. All previous criticism does not automatically go away after only one match.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N? Empty Re: Hartley or Youngs to start come the 6N?

Post by thomh Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:50 pm

I think it will just come down to form. They see Hartley as an important leader, but if Youngs' lineout continues to improve then I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. He seems a bit more aggressive and faster.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm

OK not sure why the poll is coming up with Flood/Farrell in the title and options given the title of the poll was Hartley or Youngs?

Tried deleting the article and remaking it but the same result so any advice would be helpful! In the meantime just ignore the Farrell and Flood options.

Though I'm sure some wont be able to resist. Doh

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by freeman lowell Sat 01 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

well... before this game I would have gone Hartley but now.....

freeman lowell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:03 pm

I'd still go with Hartley, but I think it's great that he seems (at last?) to have some good competition, hopefully it will make him buck up and play better.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:04 pm

king_carlos wrote:OK not sure why the poll is coming up with Flood/Farrell in the title and options given the title of the poll was Hartley or Youngs?

Tried deleting the article and remaking it but the same result so any advice would be helpful! In the meantime just ignore the Farrell and Flood options.

I've just fixed the poll question. Can't see why the name duplication is happening though Headscratch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:06 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
king_carlos wrote:OK not sure why the poll is coming up with Flood/Farrell in the title and options given the title of the poll was Hartley or Youngs?

I've just fixed the poll question. Can't see why the name duplication is happening though Headscratch

Deleted and recreated the poll. Sorted Smile
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

For now I would go for Hartley with youngs as a sub. In the loose there both equal in my books. Leadership and lineouts Hartley wins.

Wouldn't agree with the above that Hartley is head and shoulders above.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:11 pm

Before the Ais. I would of said Hartley for sure.

But seeing that Hartley has been injured and Tom Youngs took his place.

I just dont know right now. In my opinion if Hartley could get him self 100% match fitness, then maybe, just maybe i would say Hartley to start and Youngs on the bench.

How ever if Hartley is not 100% fully fit. then i do not want him any whare near the England camp.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:13 pm

Cheers pete!

I didn't have any ideas myself. I set the poll up the same as usual but the same thing happened with both the articles I tried. Erm

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 01 Dec 2012, 11:03 pm

Hartley, if fit should start.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 02 Dec 2012, 12:00 am

Lancaster seems to believe in the concept of needing to displace the current starter. So I'd say it'll be Youngs with Hartley on the bench. If Hartley has a good game (if he gets on) he may well start the second. I also expect Farrell to start, Morgan, Wood and Robshaw as well.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:39 am

That's a good point, Lancaster doesn't always chuck a returning player straight back in to a starting day team, usually bench first.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 02 Dec 2012, 9:40 am

If a player does his bit in the side last game- you cannot change him!!

I am very suprised so many are going for Hartley.

Farrel as well 100% for the same reasons.

This wasnt a game v an avergae team- this team is one of the best of all time!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down