The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The regions

+17
maestegmafia
offload
neilthom7
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Morgannwg
Seagultaf
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
VinceWLB
Stone Motif
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
mikey_philVIII
Intotouch
samuraidragon
thebluesmancometh
Casartelli
Permian1988
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The regions Empty The regions

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:45 am

Well dont the WRU & PGRB have a real job on their hands. The regions & international game are experiencing some troubles of late. For me its been coming for a little while.

The player drain to France is having a hugely detrimental effect on the quality of players left at each region. The quality of rugby being played by each of the regions is, across the board, poor with only some glimmers of hope for Welsh supporters.

The PGRB have a huge job on their hands to identify where money can be saved, how to stop the player drain and stop the decline of regional and international rugby in Wales as a result.

An independent review has taken place, assessing the regions as a business and a professional sporting establishment. It has been grim reading. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20218179

A number of options were identified, those being:

* Change season structure
* Centrally contract players
* Dispand regions & revert to clubs
* Reduce regions
* WRU takes over pro rugby
* Form collaborative management board to enforce decisions

Now the PGRB has been formed this is where the real decisions will now have to be made. For me there is only two real options; reduce the regions and centrally contract players.

The dragons have long been a region struggling to attract quality players or hold onto any of their regional stars. Fussel, Lydiate, Charteris, Tovey, Brew, Bearmen and now maybe Faletau have all sought pastures greater and new.

The dragons have struggled to make a real impact and must now be seen as a "dead weight" when it comes to pulling any for both the regional & international game. The option, as difficult as it may be, must be to dispand the region.

Players of quality throughout the academy must be identified and channeled into the remaining three regions as do existing first team squad members a la.....Celtic Warriors.

The money saved would go a way to funding central contracts and bringing back players lost to france. NWQ players have a place in the Welsh game, plugging gaps of weakness. But these players must be of top quality. Players who can help the development of young players at the regions.

Changing the season structure would help Wales, but this would require a much greater agreement between all teams in the Pro 12.

Any thoughts?

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

The regions Empty Re: The regions

Post by Casartelli Sun 09 Dec 2012, 9:35 am

Letting the best players go to France is the way forward. Tougher league, much better coaching and it gives more youngsters a chance to play here. The time has come to revert to semi-pro in Wales anyway. Works for Samoa and Argentina.

We won't, of course. The WRU will hold this new talking-shop thing up as the solution to all problems, for about 3-4 seasons anyway when everyone will have forgotten about it and it gets cancelled. The regions will all be on the wrong end of 50 point hammerings by the Italians but Wales will win a GS every 3 years so nobody will care.

The group of optimists who think the regions will be okay when the youngsters come through/Henson comes back/the new fanbase turns up will be down to single figures.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

Casartelli wrote:Letting the best players go to France is the way forward. Tougher league, much better coaching and it gives more youngsters a chance to play here. The time has come to revert to semi-pro in Wales anyway. Works for Samoa and Argentina.

We won't, of course. The WRU will hold this new talking-shop thing up as the solution to all problems, for about 3-4 seasons anyway when everyone will have forgotten about it and it gets cancelled. The regions will all be on the wrong end of 50 point hammerings by the Italians but Wales will win a GS every 3 years so nobody will care.

The group of optimists who think the regions will be okay when the youngsters come through/Henson comes back/the new fanbase turns up will be down to single figures.

Jeeze and I thought I was depressed. I can see your point mate. I think the players that have left already will benefit although I worry about how much they will be flogged by the French clubs. Semi-pro IMO is not the way forward.

Reducing the regions has to be an idea. Save money and concentrate our quality players. I am sick to death of players in Wales getting paid to produce crap rugby when they have absolutely no chance of representing the country.

Players like; Ashley Williams, Rob Sidoli, Ceri Sweeney etc.

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:01 am

If you want depression see any of my comments from the start of last season...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:09 am

Bluesman....in fairness I have read some and there does seem to be an air of depression. TBH ever since the world cup we have slowly been in decline culminating in the situation we are in now.

The Grand Slam covered up some major cracks that were widening and have been widening for some time.

The very fact that Wales had a successful world cup and six nations were nothing short of a miracle.

Barring the Ospreys, regional rugby has brought very little success with the Scarlets and Blues chipping in once or twice.

Do you think this PGRB will do anything other than talk? Or will they actually address the key issues? For me, we can only hope that the man in charge has no friends in the WRU and Regional game and can approach this situation with a broad and open mind.

There are too many ex internationals, sons and daughters involved in welsh rugby. It must be very hard to have an objective view if you are considering hiring and firing friends and family.

Its pathetic. I think the WRU could of appointed a rugby man in an advisory role in this panel. As it stands the WRU & Regions have an equal showing in the board room. Graham Henry for example.

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:12 am

Graham Henry for example could of been that neutral advisory man. I think the men at the top are scared of doing this though.

Probably because they do not want the clear & vast ineptitude highlighted.

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:16 am

I'm not sure what the difference is at the moment? The regions have always struggled in Europe, no Welsh region has won the European cup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

Mike...its not just about Europe. Its apparent that regional form is affecting the international game. It was only a matter of time.

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

Permian1988 wrote:
Casartelli wrote:Letting the best players go to France is the way forward. Tougher league, much better coaching and it gives more youngsters a chance to play here. The time has come to revert to semi-pro in Wales anyway. Works for Samoa and Argentina.

Jeeze and I thought I was depressed. I can see your point mate. I think the players that have left already will benefit although I worry about how much they will be flogged by the French clubs. Semi-pro IMO is not the way forward.

Reducing the regions has to be an idea. Save money and concentrate our quality players. I am sick to death of players in Wales getting paid to produce crap rugby when they have absolutely no chance of representing the country.

Players like; Ashley Williams, Rob Sidoli, Ceri Sweeney etc.

The harsh reality is that we've had numerous opportunities to sort out pro rugby in Wales over the last (almost) two decades and we've not taken them. We are just very bad, for whatever reasons, at running the domestic game in a professional manner. At test level we've had some fantastic highs and abysmal lows. Nobody has come up with a convincing theory of why this has been - I think it's just the luck of a few good players coming together with some decent coaching (Henry's discipline, Ruddock's offloading and Gatland/Edwards' blitz/kick/chase).

This latest monthly lunch thing is a farce.

Problem is that the rest of the world, aren't waiting around for us to get our house in order, the selfish gits.

It's not ideal, but time has come to cut our losses. Semi pro would work. But we won't do it. Maybe we just love muddling along in mediocrity. Gives us something to moan about.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:43 am

P.s. the bringing back Graham Henry thing was my idea!

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:48 am

haha ok you can have that one (re Henry). Its sad that so many who watch rugby and divulge ourselves into it as often as we do, have similar if not the same ideas about what we should do next do not have an impact.

Like ive said, too many friends in the WRU. It should be a cut throat business. All about results and good business managment

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:59 am

Last Casartelli point for now on this well chewed cud - most of the best players are going to end up in France sooner rather than later.

It's just a matter of whether the WRU embrace this and turn it to their advantage, or fight a losing battle that wastes time and lots of money.

They'll fight the losing battle, of course. Maybe the IRB will let us enter a 'Welsh Exiles' team in the RWC as a wild card?

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 12:39 pm

Permian1988 wrote:Mike...its not just about Europe. Its apparent that regional form is affecting the international game. It was only a matter of time.

And yet look at Ireland, if club level had any impact they would have won several grand slams recently, but yet the Irish side have won nothing of note save for that 2009 slam

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 09 Dec 2012, 12:44 pm

IronMike wrote:
Permian1988 wrote:Mike...its not just about Europe. Its apparent that regional form is affecting the international game. It was only a matter of time.

And yet look at Ireland, if club level had any impact they would have won several grand slams recently, but yet the Irish side have won nothing of note save for that 2009 slam

True - but they have consistently been in the top 2-3 in the table and are rarely awful, also they have a much better record versus the SH big teams.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:05 pm

You should read the comments in Equipe yesterday after Connacht beat Biarritz. There are six sides in the top 14 that are worse than Biarritz. In France many fans look at the pro 12 as the strongest league whose teams always look strong and how can they compete with such concentration of quality players in each side.

Personally I don't see that the top six sides in France are better than the top six in our own league. Will players really improve because a lot of the players they play against will be speaking French? If so why don't French clubs dominate the last four or win the h cup each year. Players in Wales have been regularly playing against the actual strongest teams in Europe in the pro 12.

Going to France will however mean that your players will have less practice time with the national team and will be under pressure to play every week irrespective of injuries. How is this better for Welsh rugby?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

Intotouch wrote:

You should read the comments in Equipe yesterday after Connacht beat Biarritz. There are six sides in the top 14 that are worse than Biarritz. In France many fans look at the pro 12 as the strongest league whose teams always look strong and how can they compete with such concentration of quality players in each side.

Personally I don't see that the top six sides in France are better than the top six in our own league. Will players really improve because a lot of the players they play against will be speaking French? If so why don't French clubs dominate the last four or win the h cup each year. Players in Wales have been regularly playing against the actual strongest teams in Europe in the pro 12.

Going to France will however mean that your players will have less practice time with the national team and will be under pressure to play every week irrespective of injuries. How is this better for Welsh rugby?

Huh? You honestly don't believe the top 6 in France are better than the top 6 in the Rabo? Really? The Scarlets are number two in the Rabo. Toulouse are number two in the Top 14. How many times have the Scarelts even got out of the HC groups? How many times have Toulosue NOT got out of the groups?

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 09 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

Reduce the regions? What a rubbish idea. It doesn't work for Scotland. The only solution is for the Wru to fork out more cash to the regions or gradually contract the top players. With more money the teams can bring in better coaches and some overseas quality. It's working for the Irish teams but it didn't happen overnight.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 2:40 pm

Reducing the regions is the worst idea ever, another quick fix to localise talent pool!!!

What we need is to expand the pro rugby net, we need tthe Prem up and running fully professional, wether we have regions or not.

We also need to adjust the way coaching and selection is done in south wales, because right now it is as messy and corrupt as it has ever been, even under the guise of being fair, about the kids abilities and not size etc...

Regarding the friends and family issue, you would be amazed if you knew how deep that was, Ive seen development officer roles go to a brother in law who did hiw level 1 course to have any sort of coaching about him!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 09 Dec 2012, 4:04 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Regarding the friends and family issue, you would be amazed if you knew how deep that was, Ive seen development officer roles go to a brother in law who did hiw level 1 course to have any sort of coaching about him!!!

The wierd thing is Martin Johnson was even less qualified than that and everyone at the RFU hated him...he still got the England job Erm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

Well thats a different story PSW, at least Johnson had a wealth of knowledge within the game, and was a proven winner who could inspire, granted the idea was flawed from the start but it doesn't compare to what I think was an out of work accountant, watched a bit of the game on TV and decided to give the Academy system in Wales a go... just heartbreaking!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 09 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

Problem with the genius idea of disbanding the Dragons so the fabulous other three regions (who annually are in contention for European trophies and produce such a glut of quality internationals of course) can compete with the finances of our rival nations is this. The Dragons recieve next to no money from the union and generate the majority of their money from the Beeb contract. So if you get rid of them you get rid of a quarter of the money coming into Wales and raise about 300,000 each for the other three. So the net result is about one extra top player per region. In other words, suggesting removal of the Dragons to continually fund the inadequacies of the other three is a bit effing twp really isn't it?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:08 pm

4 loss for the national team, 3 loss this weekend (arguably at least 2 of them because of the 4th test), players leaving the country at the rate of knots.

It is time for your federation to wake up guys, better late than never.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:48 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Problem with the genius idea of disbanding the Dragons so the fabulous other three regions (who annually are in contention for European trophies and produce such a glut of quality internationals of course) can compete with the finances of our rival nations is this. The Dragons recieve next to no money from the union and generate the majority of their money from the Beeb contract. So if you get rid of them you get rid of a quarter of the money coming into Wales and raise about 300,000 each for the other three. So the net result is about one extra top player per region. In other words, suggesting removal of the Dragons to continually fund the inadequacies of the other three is a bit effing twp really isn't it?
The IRFU were exploring the idea of getting rid of Connacht not to long ago to help the other provinces. Instead after a bit of protest from the fans they increased the financial support to the province. Which is really paying dividence now as they are no longer a "development" region and are now producing quality players of their own.

Getting rid of the Dragons would be a huge mistake.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:55 pm

I rather have more teams than less Welsh based teams even if they are semi-pro, as pointed out by Stone the more Welsh derbies the better as they pull in the crowds with extra revenue. There is more of a chance of another team developing a working business plan and investment such as in N Wales and the valleys. Closing down the Dragons is not logical, a change of management is a different matter as nobody of any worth wants to stay, this must be addressed. I believe all the current regions and potential regions should submit business plans for the next 5 years prior to getting future funding from the WRU allowing two years to plan,set up and agree.

I think the Italian experiment is a failure, they don't draw crowds and there is a high cost/time for the teams to travel, I rather play with and additional Scottish/Welsh/Irish team fixtures.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 09 Dec 2012, 6:59 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I rather have more teams than less Welsh based teams even if they are semi-pro, as pointed out by Stone the more Welsh derbies the better as they pull in the crowds with extra revenue. There is more of a chance of another team developing a working business plan and investment such as in N Wales and the valleys. Closing down the Dragons is not logical, a change of management is a different matter as nobody of any worth wants to stay, this must be addressed. I believe all the current regions and potential regions should submit business plans for the next 5 years prior to getting future funding from the WRU allowing two years to plan,set up and agree.

I think the Italian experiment is a failure, they don't draw crowds and there is a high cost/time for the teams to travel, I rather play with and additional Scottish/Welsh/Irish team fixtures.
Treviso pull bigger crowds than both Glasgow and Edinburagh in the Rabo. In the HC they fill out their stadium everytime. They are also more than good enough to compete in the league, especially at home.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:12 pm

I for one am glad Treviso is in the Rabo, they are constantly improving and bring something else to the league (for me they are one of the most physical side in Europe), just a shame about what happenned with the other team.

And yes, taking rid of the Dragons is certainly not the solution.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:14 pm

The regions fail because they like blaming everything except themselves,

When a pattern occurs first look at yourself!

Signing third rate overseas players and saying thats all you can afford!
Look a Isa at Leinster when he first signed i bet he didn't come with a large price tag but what fantastic management to get him and see his potential and quality.
If i financed a region i would be raiding the super 15 then follow up with the correct coaches who nurture young home grown players into the team.

It's not rocket science on why the Ospreys are the most successful region and can and have beat any top team in Europe when they have a full strength squad available,
they sign some small name players from overseas and the odd big name but ones who drop into how they play as a team,also they consistently bring through young home players.

Problem is the Regions and WRU have to many old boys hanging around with absolutely no business sense or vision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 09 Dec 2012, 7:42 pm

The only way to have professional rugby in Wales is to have successful regions. There are not enough quality players for 4 regions at present so any thoughts of having more will reduce the quality even further.

There is no point in saying the Welsh regions should do what the Irish regions do, as the Irish regions operate on twice the budget (circa £7M)!

The answer is simple the Welsh Regions need a bigger budget, some of that should come from greater attendances and better marketing, but they also need a bigger slice of the income that the professional game generates.

Lewis and his cronies are earning obscene salaries, paying off the MS debt faster than is needed (no doubt linked to some bonus arrangement) whilst they are simultaneously destroying professional rugby in Wales. I have no problem with anyone earning a big salary as long as they earn it.

Suggested solution:

• Get a Rugby man in charge, make the pay performance related based on success both on and off the pitch, including regional rugby.

• Pay off the MS debt at the agreed rate, use the money freed up to engage the top 25 or 30 players on dual contracts.

• Stop televising home games unless they are likely to be sell outs (local derbys). Televise away games to fulfil the TV contracts.

• Play more games at 3.00pm on a Saturday afternoon and encourage school children to attend with free or heavily discounted tickets.

• Incentivise the top players to stay in Wales. Make the dual contracts attractive and or pick home based players.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:15 pm

Seagultaf wrote:The only way to have professional rugby in Wales is to have successful regions. There are not enough quality players for 4 regions at present so any thoughts of having more will reduce the quality even further.

There is no point in saying the Welsh regions should do what the Irish regions do, as the Irish regions operate on twice the budget (circa £7M)!

The answer is simple the Welsh Regions need a bigger budget, some of that should come from greater attendances and better marketing, but they also need a bigger slice of the income that the professional game generates.

Lewis and his cronies are earning obscene salaries, paying off the MS debt faster than is needed (no doubt linked to some bonus arrangement) whilst they are simultaneously destroying professional rugby in Wales. I have no problem with anyone earning a big salary as long as they earn it.

Suggested solution:

• Get a Rugby man in charge, make the pay performance related based on success both on and off the pitch, including regional rugby.

• Pay off the MS debt at the agreed rate, use the money freed up to engage the top 25 or 30 players on dual contracts.

• Stop televising home games unless they are likely to be sell outs (local derbys). Televise away games to fulfil the TV contracts.

• Play more games at 3.00pm on a Saturday afternoon and encourage school children to attend with free or heavily discounted tickets.

• Incentivise the top players to stay in Wales. Make the dual contracts attractive and or pick home based players.

There's more than enough if we keep all our top players in Wales.

The Irish get their extra money through being in the KO stages of and winning the Heineken Cup. The Provinces generate their own revenue as well as receive money from the IRFU and get their internationals payed for. It works so well because it's almost perfect. I don't see why Wales can't go down the same route.

Your points are sound.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:26 pm

viewtothegym wrote:The regions fail because they like blaming everything except themselves,

When a pattern occurs first look at yourself!

Signing third rate overseas players and saying thats all you can afford!
Look a Isa at Leinster when he first signed i bet he didn't come with a large price tag but what fantastic management to get him and see his potential and quality.
If i financed a region i would be raiding the super 15 then follow up with the correct coaches who nurture young home grown players into the team.

It's not rocket science on why the Ospreys are the most successful region and can and have beat any top team in Europe when they have a full strength squad available,
they sign some small name players from overseas and the odd big name but ones who drop into how they play as a team,also they consistently bring through young home players.

Problem is the Regions and WRU have to many old boys hanging around with absolutely no business sense or vision.
Prize for funniest comment in the festive season so far - bravo, view

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:32 pm

Why is it funny?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 8:36 pm

Why is it funny?

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm

Sauages OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:31 pm

It's funny because the O's are certainly not the most succesfull european region, they have won nothing and have not made a semi final have they?

Right now they are on par with the Scarlets as best of a bad bunch.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm

Well in terms of silverware they probably are the most successful. 3 League titles, and an EDF (when it was a decent competiton) is more than the other three. Every other one of View's points about the Ospreys was pretty much correct aswell.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:43 pm

Well the Rabo is hardly an indicator of success, noone takes it seriously until the round before the playoffs, so the mantle of most succesfull Welsh region must go to one that has proven to be most competitive in europe.

The O's as I said are on par with Scarlets at present who have done a similar job on a smaller budget and without the huge names!

Plus I'd argue the quality of the Scarlet academy prospects are actually more important to wales right now!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm

I stopped reading when I seen that myth about the Rabo, the one that always floats around on here. That's me done for the night anyway.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 09 Dec 2012, 10:49 pm

Tell Embra that it's a myth Morg!! Tell the international players that play mor HC games than league games!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 09 Dec 2012, 11:14 pm

I think you need to look at each problem individually rather than a group. The talent drain for example there are a number of things here for example make it clear that if they leave Wales they will not be picked sort of like in Ireland and follow through because that way you will be able to tell who wants to play for Wales and who is just after a paycheck. Look at the attendances and what can be done in each region. Promotion and marketing could be what it takes each region should know what will help attract supporters things such as holding kiddies camps in towns that aren't normally supporting regions or rugby playing areas can help, maybe lowering prices etc. What they need to do is not look at it as a group but as each individual problem solves each individual problem and then your overall problem is reduced/solved.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Dec 2012, 11:43 pm

The Ospreys have beaten more top European teams than any region, infact they consistently beat the back to back champions of europe

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:25 am

viewtothegym wrote:The Ospreys have beaten more top European teams than any region, infact they consistently beat the back to back champions of europe's second team

Just made a small correction.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 10 Dec 2012, 7:49 am

If we can find a way to stop our players getting injured we'll do a lot better. These are the pre HEC injury lists.

Ospreys

Alun Wyn Jones - Shoulder

Hanno Dirksen - Knee

Joe Rees - Neck

Jonathan Thomas - Groin

Adam Jones - Knee

Tom Smith - Groin

Aaron Jarvis - Knee

Richard Hibbard - Shoulder

Owen Williams - Hamstring

Ian Evans - Knee

Tom Grabham - Hip

Blues

Leigh Halfpenny
Severe stinger in match against Australia and is receiving on-going review by specialists

Bradley Davies
Suffered concussion in match against New Zealand. Expected to be back in training on 11 December

Jamie Roberts
Suffered elbow hyperextension in match against Australia and seeing specialist on Wednesday 5th December. Expected back 6 weeks

Andi Kyriacou
Suffered concussion against Ospreys. Expected to be back week leading up to Scarlets or Dragons match
4 - 6 WEEKS
Michael Paterson
Fractured little finger against Ospreys. Surgery Thursday 6 December.
As per specialist review but expected back in 4 - 6 weeks

Chris Czeckaj
Foot ligament injury. Surgery to remove pin 13th December, expected back early January

Dan Fish
Suffered shoulder nerve palsy in match against Zebre and seeing specialist. Awaiting results

Tom James
Fractured sesamoid (big toe). Surgery to remove pin on Wednesday 5th December, back 6 weeks post operation.

LONG TERM

Jake Cooper-Woolley
Right knee ACL injury
4 months

Tom Davies
ACL knee reconstruction this week
4 months

Scarlets

Players not available for selection through injury:
Gareth Davies (neck strain),
Josh Turnbull (knee),
Rob McCusker (ankle),
Jordan Williams (shoulder),
Emyr Phillips (neck),
George North (hip)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:36 am

Seagultaf wrote:• Play more games at 3.00pm on a Saturday afternoon and encourage school children to attend with free or heavily discounted tickets.
I agree with most of what you have said, but one of the main issues of attendances that I have found is when you play a game on a Saturday between 2 and 5, you exclude the people playing at a grassroots level, these are typically the people who take their kids or go with their mates to watch games. All WRU League games from the Prem down to Div 7 kick off at 2:30.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:51 am

Coleman wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:• Play more games at 3.00pm on a Saturday afternoon and encourage school children to attend with free or heavily discounted tickets.
I agree with most of what you have said, but one of the main issues of attendances that I have found is when you play a game on a Saturday between 2 and 5, you exclude the people playing at a grassroots level, these are typically the people who take their kids or go with their mates to watch games. All WRU League games from the Prem down to Div 7 kick off at 2:30.

Play the game twice. Matinee and then evening show.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon 10 Dec 2012, 8:55 am

cheer up guys
when a region can unhearth a talent such as this 19 year old ginger fly half that played yesterdayfor the Blues , they are doing a good job. players like that dont come often and I wish we could see french clubs giving chances to youngsters at such important positions.
be careful as he's already making headlines in France so make sure he's signed on a long term contract.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/Patchell-nouvelle-perle-de-cardiff/332632

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:13 am

France. . . The reason we can't have nice things ^_^

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:28 am

Coleman wrote:

I know what you're saying, and I do sympathise with the kick off time argument. I'm on the fence with this one. I'd much prefer a sat afternoon kick off, every other week. It then becomes routine, and routine leads to habit forming, and habit forming leads to long term support. At the moment the games are all over the place; mainly Friday night, Saturday evening, Sunday, sometimes a month between home games then 2 on the bounce at home. A mess. Makes it harder to plan (I know fixtures are out in advance), but when I was a Newport RFC fan under the old league structure you knew where you stood: 2.30/3.00 at home on a Saturday every other week. Easy.

However, playing devils advocat I would say that the Aviva Premiership is mainly on a Saturday at 3ish and they seem to do alright in attracting crowds. Surely their support would be out playing grass roots rugby too?

I do think that the regions (or at least the Dragons, which is my only experience) need to do more to enhance the match day experience. Again, harking back to the Newport RFC days (and no, I don't want a return to those days, but it does give me a reference point and comparison with the current set up), there was much more on offer for the fan on match day. Maybe because it was a day time fixture. Brass band, hog roast, family village, Irish band in the club house, etc. Now the games are on a Friday evening there seems very much a 'ship 'em in and ship 'em out' mentality. Nothing for the family, nothing to look forward to apart from the rugby which, because it's rubbish, leaves the whole experience lacking. I appreciate the marketing budget is tight but people are likely to spend a bit more if they're at the ground longer. Now it's just get to the ground, watch the game, go home. That only appeals to die hards, and that's why the crowds are remaining low IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:59 am

Just a few points.

Ireland have admitted that axing Connacht would have been a bad choice.
At the weekend they got 8k out to the match which is a sizeable amount when many were not expecting a win.

It is worrying that the Regions don't seem to back up HC sucess (expect the Blues when they got to a HC Semi and won the Amlin 2 years in a row).
Scarlets got to a Semi after wiunning all their games in the group and beating the regining champions (munster) in the quarter. But the next year they did nothing.

Ulster have slowly gone up and Munster have slowly gone down but with the regions it is high to low and no middle. I don't know if it is mental but Regions are like some welsh teams where they are as likely to kill a team at home and then the next week get mauled away.

Treviso put up a good showing against Tigers away from home and they are a credit to what the league can do to build a team up slowly.

I not sure if its the WRUs fault but as people have said they get a Slam and sure its fine. They need to look for improvements each year as a whole and not say sure we're fine a region is geting to the semi's of the Rabo and a region got to the HC quarters.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:00 am

The treviso result is the best result by a Rabo team at Tigers for a few years

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 10 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

PWC report looking into reducing regions, and said it wouldn't help, so Let Dragons stay.

2.30 Saturday is the Club kick off time, you support regions now, and they have a different kick off time. Regions should not be competiting with Clubs for supporters, so therefore the 2.30 sat give should be given to Clubs.

Getting rid of Italians isn't the answer, Terviso are both good enough and add sometime to the League, Zebre will hopefully get there, and at least they stop Dragons being th eWoodenspoon team at present.
By getting rid of them you won't save any travel money as the FIR already paid this to the League, it was an agreenment for their addmittance.

The solution for me, is the WRU reduce payments to the Welsh Prem, and Let the quality drop to similar to the All-Ireland League, the money saved is then redirected into the top tier of Welsh rugby (the regions).

Currently the WRU want Strong regions and a strong Welsh Prem, its reached the point they can't afford both, and the WRU will have to decide which one they want. That should be the top tier of Welsh rugby which directly feeds the Welsh national team, at the expensive of the Prem.

(note this isn't cutting grassroots rugby, its cutting the second tier to be put in top tier).

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next