The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish and Irish club tournament

+4
Intotouch
neilthom7
Imperialbigdave
8 posters

Go down

Scottish and Irish club tournament Empty Scottish and Irish club tournament

Post by 123456789 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

The Welsh and English have the Anglo-Welsh club so why don't the Scots and the Irish have a competition that involves all of the clubs rather than the pro teams. The Pros could play for their club teams which would improve grass roots rugby and make them more accessible to local people. It would also be a talent spotting device and could be seen as a Bridge between the pro and club game.

Back to top Go down

Scottish and Irish club tournament Empty Re: Scottish and Irish club tournament

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 11 Dec 2012, 5:30 pm

123456789 wrote:The Welsh and English have the Anglo-Welsh club so why don't the Scots and the Irish have a competition that involves all of the clubs rather than the pro teams. The Pros could play for their club teams which would improve grass roots rugby and make them more accessible to local people. It would also be a talent spotting device and could be seen as a Bridge between the pro and club game.

the seasons already bloated as it is, it doesnt need another competition. Prem teams often have to scramble to fullfill all their fixtures in the spring, because so many games get postponed over the winter. Plus the irish dont need us to develop their youngsters, they use the B&I cup for that.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 7:26 pm

Also when would you play, the games in B&I Cup already take places mostly during international weekends and there would be very few or no Irish pros playing due to other commitments add in travel cost etc and I think it wouldn't be feasible sorry.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:35 pm

There are already plenty of matches in the all Ireland league where the pros sometimes play that functions as a talent spotting device. Why do we need more with more travel? Is it something you think that Scottish rugby is lacking right now?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:37 pm

Imperialbigdave wrote:
123456789 wrote:The Welsh and English have the Anglo-Welsh club so why don't the Scots and the Irish have a competition that involves all of the clubs rather than the pro teams. The Pros could play for their club teams which would improve grass roots rugby and make them more accessible to local people. It would also be a talent spotting device and could be seen as a Bridge between the pro and club game.

the seasons already bloated as it is, it doesnt need another competition. Prem teams often have to scramble to fullfill all their fixtures in the spring, because so many games get postponed over the winter. Plus the irish dont need us to develop their youngsters, they use the B&I cup for that.

Agreed - less rugby, not more.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:57 pm

British and Irish cup.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 12 Dec 2012, 12:29 pm

It's a grand idea but sadly there is no room in the calendar and the Irish must be getting fed up of helping keep Scottish rugby afloat. There is a limit to the number of times we can keep going back to that well

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:09 pm

How are the Irish keeping Scottish rugby afloat? Sorry but I don't see that we're doing much of anything for you. I just don't understand why it would be needed by either country really. As someone else said, the B and I cup.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:11 pm

i was gonna say - this sounds just like the B&I cup but without the Welsh and English?

Surely the thing that should be mooted is the LV cup type thing that the Welsh and English do, but with the Scots and Irish? Use it as an opportunity to give fringe players and youngster gametime?

Can't see there being a great demand for even that though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm

Intouch - generally, by paying over more money at turnstiles for Edinburgh and Glasgow games than we locals stump up. Don't get me wrong, I love it when the Irish (north or south, province or country) are in town but it is embarassing to be outnumbered by you all the time.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down