The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Molina

+9
Union Cane
hogey
TRUSSMAN66
Gerry SA
BallchinianMuffwig
ONETWOFOREVER
sweethook
88Chris05
hampo17
13 posters

Go down

Khan vs Molina Empty Khan vs Molina

Post by hampo17 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:39 pm

Having just watched the through the ropes special on sky sports, I like what Hunter is doing with Khan. We've all said at one time or another that Khans pitter patter combos do nothing except stop his opponent throwing back, well it looks like Hunter is getting him to throwing the quick one two and then the third is intended to hurt. The stuff he appears to be teaching Khan while basic is skills he has been lacking.

We've all heard Khan say he is the best he has been many times before but I actually believe if he can stick to the game plan (we know he can do this) then he will box Molinas head off all night.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Molina Empty Re: Khan vs Molina

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 7:48 pm

I think even if Khan loses focus as he's prone to doing he'll still win this one at a canter. Molina's a Lightweight and shouldn't have the dig to upset even Khan's less than granite whiskers.

Khan by mid-rounds stoppage, I think. I see this fight as a means to ease his way back in and to simply try out what he and Hunter have been working on - how successful and worthwhile the change in trainer has been will be more obvious once he's back mixing it with the top names at 140 lb, which I'm sure he'll be doing in 2013.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by sweethook Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:28 pm

If he loses this one then it's start the car goodbye career. Famous quote being whatever you've done in the gym will generally change once you've been clocked and revert to type...

sweethook

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 12 Dec 2012, 10:41 pm

khan needs a spectacular ko.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:05 am

I've reached the point after a few years of skeptical-ness, where I want him to do well. Hope he does the business and manages to avenge at least one of the two recent defeats

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:15 am

Molina doesn't get outboxed. He's a very smart boxer.

He might not be a KO slugger, but he's got more than enough ring craft to end Khan's career.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

I'll sum this fight up in stats for you guys..........

Molina 17 wins 7 kos..............Kid can't punch.. easy fight.. end of!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:48 am

Willie Limond can't punch either Truss and he had Khan in trouble.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 9:55 am

Pointless fight, if Molina was a big bigger it could have been remotely interesting but a smaller man with limited experience and feather fists has no chance. Still it will give Amir a chance to say he is better than ever and back among the elite and of course some saps will believe it until he gets KOed again of course.
See the old myth about Khan being a box office draw has been blown away yet again too, you can get 2 tickets for the fight for free as long as you buy a $15 toy, only way they can get bodies in the arena as it was looking like it was gonna be almost completely empty at one point.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:15 am

Limond was a lighter weight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:27 am

you can get 2 tickets for the fight for free as long as you buy a $15 toy
Is it an Amir Khan doll?

This fight is another rebuilding exercise for Khan and sadly even if he blows Molina away, it isn't going to tell us whether he can still cut it at the very top with guys who can negate his handspeed and counter him effectively. I still believe Khan will revert to type if he gets dragged into a brawl and under those circumstances, you always going to worry about him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:37 am

I think we will see a new Khan. Calm, considered, defensively minded, picking his shots, and this will last all the way until Molina lands one on Khan's chin and it all goes out the window.

He would still a big draw if he came back to Blighty, could probably fill the Reebok I should imagine. He's bigger and better than that though, the States is where it's at.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:40 am

DAVE667 wrote:you can get 2 tickets for the fight for free as long as you buy a $15 toy
Is it an Amir Khan doll?

This fight is another rebuilding exercise for Khan and sadly even if he blows Molina away, it isn't going to tell us whether he can still cut it at the very top with guys who can negate his handspeed and counter him effectively. I still believe Khan will revert to type if he gets dragged into a brawl and under those circumstances, you always going to worry about him.

He needs to replicate being hurt in training then learning how to defend. This is just a tester really. I think Roach got the best out of Khan by sticking him in sparring with Manny. Few fighters can match the intensity the little man brings so Khan handled himself quite well against opponents less than manny. Then by june the Pacquaio camp (not Manny himself) stopped the sparring sessions as Khan suddenly became touted as a viable opponent \ a year or two down the line. Thus the pair of em were training at different times rather than side by side. The sparring probably gave him an edge over alot of his opponents and kept him sharp as he could be. Who does hunter have that can give Khan intense sparring apart from ward (who would knock him out with a jab)?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Dec 2012, 10:41 am

Rock and hard place for Khan.

Possibly too big for the UK and his star is on the wane in the US after back to back defeats. He's also falling down the pecking order as Froch, Price and others start getting more and more media coverage over here

He needs something big and he needs it soon

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:01 pm

Big star my arse, he would not fill any decent size arenas here either without a very good card to support it and his UK PPV sales were a disaster. Its the media that keep over doing the hype around him, where as most fans seem to have lost interest in him now his limitations have been exposed so often. Truth is he is a decent fighter with pretty good 26-3 record but nothing to get that excited these days. Next time he loses in the States i think he will retire and become a TV pundit.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm

hogey wrote:Big star my arse, he would not fill any decent size arenas here either without a very good card to support it and his UK PPV sales were a disaster. Its the media that keep over doing the hype around him, where as most fans seem to have lost interest in him now his limitations have been exposed so often. Truth is he is a decent fighter with pretty good 26-3 record but nothing to get that excited these days. Next time he loses in the States i think he will retire and become a TV pundit.

Get what you're saying, he hasn't got the pull of someone of Frochs statue at the minute but I certainly enjoy watching Khan fight. He is good to watch and has the vunerability about him that you never quite know what is going to happen. Shahs point about the sparring with Manny may hold some truth to it as well, you don't get that sort of training camp for every fighter and the P4P champ at the time would certainly keep you on your toes. Hoping this new trainer gets the best out of him as another Brit on the world scene is nothing to grumble about.

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:41 pm

Agree he has that disaster waiting to happen appeal, but sadly for him probably not enough to make people actually want to pay for the pleasure.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:49 pm

He's sparring with Alfredo Angulo to help iron out his flaws, great choice of partner by Hunter.

Big LMW who hits like a train.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:52 pm

He was quite open about the sparring in the wild card, saying fighters would come to prove a point and end up trying to have a war and I think this why Khans game plans went out of the window against Peterson and Garcia, he was getting the better of the wars in sparring and thought he could get the better of the wars on fight night.

If he fights like he did against Maidana he will win this easily, try to go toe to toe and I personally think Molina can shock a few people.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 13 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

THat is a good choice. i imagine hes going to be in for a torrid time and if he can adjust his response even slightly then he might be onto a winner. If he's kept on his toes for the full 12 rounds then it might translate into results

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 13 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

hogey wrote:Pointless fight, if Molina was a big bigger it could have been remotely interesting but a smaller man with limited experience and feather fists has no chance. Still it will give Amir a chance to say he is better than ever and back among the elite and of course some saps will believe it until he gets KOed again of course.
See the old myth about Khan being a box office draw has been blown away yet again too, you can get 2 tickets for the fight for free as long as you buy a $15 toy, only way they can get bodies in the arena as it was looking like it was gonna be almost completely empty at one point.

To be honest i dont think its that much of a myth at all. He has pretty much sold out the arenas in the UK such as the MEN against Barrera/McCloskey.

He may not be the biggest draw in America yet, but may be over the next 12-24 months.

He may be vulnerable, but that just makes him one of the most exciting fighters out there at the moment.

his war with Maidana will have only built his reputations, along with the hammering of Judah/Malignaggi.

He outboxed Garcia until caught, but yet still decided on trading punches for some bizzare reason.

I like it. I just wish he stuck to basics, which hopefully Virgil will do for him.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down