The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

+21
Boxtthis
azania
The Galveston Giant
fearlessBamber
wow_junky
Michaels, Sean
Imperial Ghosty
The Furious Freak
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
eddyfightfan
J.Benson II
Jukebox Timebomb
88Chris05
coxy0001
oxring
BALTIMORA
TRUSSMAN66
HumanWindmill
Sugar Boy Sweetie
D4thincarnation
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 3 Empty David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by D4thincarnation Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:47 am

First topic message reminder :

Will Haye be this if he KOs Wlad this summer? He will according to legendary trainer Angelo Dundee.

http://www.boxingscene.com/dundee-i-look-forward-haye-knocking-klitschko-out--38448

Beating Wlad will make Haye the premier fighter of this era.

I, like Dundee, thinks that Haye will KO Wlad this summer but not sure I would place him in the top 15 ever of Heavyweights, not because he is not talented enough but more to do with he hasn't faced the opposition to prove it.

Where would you put Haye on the all time heavyweight list if he beats Wlad.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 3 Empty Re: David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

It is absurd to consider a fighter as a potential top 15 heavyweight whose record consists of:

Barrett - Past it never was and never will be.
Valuev - Haye did worse than an ancient shot Holyfield. Ran like a thief and squeaked by in one of the most boring title fights in recent memory.
Ruiz - Haye looks gassed and walks into plenty of jabs against one of the worst former champs in the history of the division. This was an old past it Ruiz.
Harrison - Took Haye 3 rounds to muster the courage to knock over a guy who is too frightened to try and hit back.

If Haye beats Wlad, all he has done is get himself out of the Seldon, Ruiz et al group of former belt holders.

If he loses and he is odds on to do so and then retires, I'd rand him alongside Akinwande and Seldon.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 3 Empty Re: David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

A lot of ifs, buts and maybes their. He will never be a top 15 all time heavyweight.
His record is Barrett, Valuev, Ruiz and Audley. Even if you add the K bros, Adamek, Solis, Arreola and 3 or 4 up and comers it's still not happening.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 am

Good points Pretty Boy, i made a point on another article that even if he were to beat the brothers, and even add a couple of up and comers like you say i would struggle to have him in my top 100 ATG list. In terms of heavyweights, if he were to do the above, i could maybe have him in my top 30 ATG heavyweights.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 am

You missed my original point prettyboy, which was that it would take a ridiculous turn of events and luck for Haye to be ranked top 15 of all time. It's never going to happen IMO!

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:33 am

wow_junky wrote:You missed my original point prettyboy, which was that it would take a ridiculous turn of events and luck for Haye to be ranked top 15 of all time. It's never going to happen IMO!

Sorry mate I never read it because their was some Tyson arguement going on earlier in the thread I thought you were for the idea. I don't think it's an opinion it won't happen seems like a fact to me.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:36 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:Good points Pretty Boy, i made a point on another article that even if he were to beat the brothers, and even add a couple of up and comers like you say i would struggle to have him in my top 100 ATG list. In terms of heavyweights, if he were to do the above, i could maybe have him in my top 30 ATG heavyweights.

The problem is with the top 15-20 Heavyweights and Haye is the top 15-20 guys are mostly big hitters like Holmes, Frazier, Foreman and even Tyson although I'm not sure he makes my top 15. The first time any of these guys caught Haye who is chinny the fight would be over.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:55 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:Good points Pretty Boy, i made a point on another article that even if he were to beat the brothers, and even add a couple of up and comers like you say i would struggle to have him in my top 100 ATG list. In terms of heavyweights, if he were to do the above, i could maybe have him in my top 30 ATG heavyweights.

The problem is with the top 15-20 Heavyweights and Haye is the top 15-20 guys are mostly big hitters like Holmes, Frazier, Foreman and even Tyson although I'm not sure he makes my top 15. The first time any of these guys caught Haye who is chinny the fight would be over.

It's not always about direct head-to-head comparison though, is it? Otherwise we'd all have Tyson above the likes of smaller guys like Duran, P****iao, Leonard, etc in overall P4P lists.

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed the important bit.)

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:04 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

It's not always about direct head-to-head comparison though, is it? Otherwise we'd all have Tyson above the likes of smaller guys like Duran, P****iao, Leonard, etc in overall P4P lists.

It can be when you're dealing with guys at the same weight and I am I'm talking Hevyweights nothing else. So a head to head is the best comparison I could come up with. Records can have holes picked in them, it's pretty much a fact that Haye couldn't live with the great heavyweights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:09 pm

alma wrote:Tyson doesn't make a lot of people's top 15 all time greats. You can't seriously tell me Tyson 1985-say 1996 wouldn't have beaten Haye comfortably

I never said that I said although I'm not sure Tyson would make my top 15 I haven't did one so wouldn't be to sure on that. I wouls have him to beat Haye in a couple of rounds. Like I said the first time Haye gets caught it's over.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:10 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
alma wrote:Tyson doesn't make a lot of people's top 15 all time greats. You can't seriously tell me Tyson 1985-say 1996 wouldn't have beaten Haye comfortably

I never said that I said although I'm not sure Tyson would make my top 15 I haven't did one so wouldn't be to sure on that. I wouls have him to beat Haye in a couple of rounds. Like I said the first time Haye gets caught it's over.

I think 2 rounds is ridiculous ...
There's no way Haye makes it to the second round Very Happy

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:16 pm

thumbsup
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:None of the names you mentioned would stand out in the HW division today.

If you honestly believe that Tucker, Tubbs, Thomas and so on weren't better boxers and technicians than Solis, Ibragimov and Peter, then you simply haven't ever watched them fight. There can be no other explanation at all. At least the likes of Thomas and Tucker knew how to work behind a jab and turned up in the ring looking in good shape.

Not sure why I'm trying to debate with you though, to be honest. Anyone who describes this generation of Heavyweights as a 'golden era', regardless of context, has some seriously skewed views.

Tucker turned up to the ring off his head on crack, and even then was probably Tysons best opponent. Tuceker is a guy who could have been very good if he wasn't a drug addict, but he was. Before he fought Tyson he'd had one title fight, against Buster Douglas, and his career best win was probably a SD over fellow crack addict Oliver McCall.

Chris Byrd, Peter, Chagaev, Ibragimov..etc were all easily on par with the likes of Tucker, Bonecrusher Smith, Bruno etc.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 pm

oxring wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:WK beat 6 of the top 10 ranked guys of 2005. The other 4 being tied up to Don Kings WBA merry-go-round.

So he didn't "clean up" then, having missed 4 of the top 10. Simples.

Being serious - its your argument that Wlad "cleared up" HW. Without fighting every available contender OR winning every belt. Even when his big bro was away.

If we're abusing Tyson for not fighting Holyfield (his main rival) at first (he was next up after Douglas, though) then why aren't we abusing WK for not fighting Vit or Valuev?

Exactly Oxring.

If you say WK did not clean up at HW because he never fought his main rival (VK) you have to admit that Tyson didn't clean up at HW because he never fought his main rival.

Anyway back to topic.

Would Haye be considered top 15 HW of all time.....who cares. I don't get the importance of comparing old fighters to new, boxing has moved on let's look forward.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:26 pm

Haye can clean up the whole HW division and to me he will not make it into the top 100 HW. He would rank a few places above Rocky though. Whistle

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:12 pm

This top 25 of all time stuff, is it based on relative achievments or on who would beat who?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

alma wrote:I agree with Azania.

Don't make a habit of it he will lead you down a slippy slope.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:This top 25 of all time stuff, is it based on relative achievments or on who would beat who?

It depends on who the fighter is it seems. Rocky went 49-0 beating stiffs and old men and some have him in their top 10 ATG in any weight. SRL beat 4 ATG and many done have him in their top 15 ATG.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:This top 25 of all time stuff, is it based on relative achievments or on who would beat who?

As it's the same weight I would base it mainly on who I think would beat who in the prime of their careers.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:25 pm

prettyboykev wrote:

furious censored

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

azania wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

furious censored

Don't be mad mate I just meant he would end up a Rocky hating Saddler loving kind of guy. Wink
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
azania wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

furious censored

Don't be mad mate I just meant he would end up a Rocky hating Saddler loving kind of guy. Wink

Hate Rocky? Me? Dont be silly. Rocky is a major source of entertainment for me. Muck like benny Hill running around at the end of his shows. Rocky M is pure comedy value.

Saddler > pep . FACT!!! Yahoo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

It can be when you're dealing with guys at the same weight and I am I'm talking Hevyweights nothing else. So a head to head is the best comparison I could come up with. Records can have holes picked in them, it's pretty much a fact that Haye couldn't live with the great heavyweights.

I agree with you on Haye, I'm just making the point that it's not ALWAYS as clear-cut as comparing head-to-head. 'S all.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 pm

WUM
I'm not biting mate go on the ATG P4P top ten thread and see how many have Saddler and how many have Pep.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:06 pm

If Haye beats Wlad and beats Vitali in that order he becomes the best heavyweight of a generation. Like it or not that is an achievement in itself and achievements not careers get people into the hall of fame (Barry McGuigan).

Interestingly enough, Haye is quoted on radio today insisting he will go on beyond October 31st.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:If Haye beats Wlad and beats Vitali in that order he becomes the best heavyweight of a generation. Like it or not that is an achievement in itself and achievements not careers get people into the hall of fame (Barry McGuigan).

Interestingly enough, Haye is quoted on radio today insisting he will go on beyond October 31st.

How long you classing a gneration as? Lewis retired in 2003 and surely you aren't saying if he beats the K's he's better than Lewis?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:23 pm

I would have thought Haye and Lewis can be classed as fighters of different generations fairly comfortably. Lewis made his pro debut in '89, Haye in '02.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Haye would need to KO both Wlad and Vitali to even be considered for a HW ATG top 25 place. He has an impressive CW career and would be highly regarded if he were to KO one or both Klitschkos, but if he retires near to when he says he will then he just wouldn't have had the longevity. Plus, if he were to KO Wlad and Vitali who would he fight next? Adamek or Povetikin would be ok, but they'd be a step down. There would be nothing to play for. Haye would be a victim of his times (in terms of getting the chance to build a legacy) just as much as he may prove to benefit from how weak they were (in terms of getting a title shot so early in the first place).

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:I would have thought Haye and Lewis can be classed as fighters of different generations fairly comfortably. Lewis made his pro debut in '89, Haye in '02.

Cool I thought you were putting him above Lewis. So what you're saying is if Haye beats the K's he the best Heavyweight of an awful generation?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:40 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Michaels, Sean wrote:I would have thought Haye and Lewis can be classed as fighters of different generations fairly comfortably. Lewis made his pro debut in '89, Haye in '02.

Cool I thought you were putting him above Lewis. So what you're saying is if Haye beats the K's he the best Heavyweight of an awful generation?

Better than a quite a few other generations.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 pm

To an extent.

A lot of people will argue that Vitali would have beaten Lewis had it not been for the cuts. The K's are an enigma because it is hard to tell how theywould have done in different eras. I for one believe that their massive physical presence would have led to dominance in a lot od HW eras
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I said before I wouldn't have them in my top 15 ATG Heavyweights but 1 or both would maybe make 20-15. Like you said the lack of real opponents dents their legacy. Marciano suffered from that a bit although he still gets into most top 10 ATG Heavyweight lists.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:To an extent.

A lot of people will argue that Vitali would have beaten Lewis had it not been for the cuts. The K's are an enigma because it is hard to tell how theywould have done in different eras. I for one believe that their massive physical presence would have led to dominance in a lot od HW eras

Not only that but they have excellent fundamentals, very good technique, they do lack flair and subtle skills, but they do a lot better in the basic departments than a lot of heavyweight champions.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Oh brilliant any debate about any heavyweight still brings up the same predictable comments

Also never seen Marciano rated in any top ten p4p lists which is almost impossible for someone conisdered to be no higher than 5/6 in his own weight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:Oh brilliant any debate about any heavyweight still brings up the same predictable comments

Also never seen Marciano rated in any top ten p4p lists which is almost impossible for someone conisdered to be no higher than 5/6 in his own weight.

I said top 10 ATG heavyweights list.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Problem is that the Klitschkos and Haye dont really offer much to each other.

The two brothers are probably fringe top 15-20 heavies now as things stand. I dont think beating Haye does much for them in this regard. They are expected to beat Haye and he isnt rated as a great heavy. So theres not much to gain. Im not sure how history will rate the two brothers. Undervalued in the U.S and overvalued in Europe wold be my guess (assuming Haye is dealt with).

Haye has more to gain by beating the brothers but it kind of hinges on where the brothers rank overall. Paradoxically, should Haye beat them, their overall status will slump down significantly in my eyes. Thus Haye doesnt gain that much from beating them as they will be seen as not that good and/or over the hill in Vitalis case.

At the end of the day if Haye beats them he will have almost no longetivity and 2 solid wins over a (then suspect Wlad who would not be top 15 material) and an ancient Vitali (might scrape top 15). Is this enough to be considered top 15 material? I doubt it.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 pm

Very well put Manos and think it sums up the situation perfectly

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Joshsmith Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:05 pm

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Come on there is no debate about Haye being in the top15 of all time
I have
Lewis
Bruno
Fitzsimmons
Cooper
Bugner
Farr
Mason
Bombardier” Billy Wells
Ahead at the moment above him...............

What top 15 IN THE WORLD.... ha ha ha April 1st was weeks ago.. Sorry i thought top 15 British

Joshsmith

Back to top Go down

Post by GeoffSnapes Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:04 am

For me Haye sneaks into the top 20 with comprehensive wins over Wlad and Vitali, plus 4-5 impressive defences against quality in the region of Povetkin, Adamek and Chagaev. At present he would not be anywhere near the top 50.

Boxing Challenges

GeoffSnapes

http://www.konkura.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:14 am

How would Holyfield have rated if he'd beaten Buster Douglas and George Foreman then called it a day?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Personally for me Valuev was a good win for Haye 7"2 awkward and proved he could completely change himself as a fighter, John ruiz not largely impressive, however you have to admit the guy had never even looked close to being stopped in a long time, one punch from Haye was enough to knock him straight down. so the manner of victory is enough to show people how good he is, I'd love to see Haye beat Adamek and others as I'm sure he will and I'm confident he'll take out the Klits, but Top 15 compared to all the other great HW's not a chance... Top 25 maybe...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3