The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

+21
Boxtthis
azania
The Galveston Giant
fearlessBamber
wow_junky
Michaels, Sean
Imperial Ghosty
The Furious Freak
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
eddyfightfan
J.Benson II
Jukebox Timebomb
88Chris05
coxy0001
oxring
BALTIMORA
TRUSSMAN66
HumanWindmill
Sugar Boy Sweetie
D4thincarnation
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 2 Empty David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by D4thincarnation Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 11:47

First topic message reminder :

Will Haye be this if he KOs Wlad this summer? He will according to legendary trainer Angelo Dundee.

http://www.boxingscene.com/dundee-i-look-forward-haye-knocking-klitschko-out--38448

Beating Wlad will make Haye the premier fighter of this era.

I, like Dundee, thinks that Haye will KO Wlad this summer but not sure I would place him in the top 15 ever of Heavyweights, not because he is not talented enough but more to do with he hasn't faced the opposition to prove it.

Where would you put Haye on the all time heavyweight list if he beats Wlad.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 2 Empty Re: David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 15:44

Some shouldn't have been in there (Austin, Brock, arguably Brewster, Thompson, Castillo).
Castillo was before he won the title the rest, barring Austin, were Ring mag top 10.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight? - Page 2 Empty Re: David Haye top 15 all time Heavyweight?

Post by oxring Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 15:51

Hmm?

WK smashed "Rahman to pieces" 3 years too late!

Also Shannon Briggs, Liakovich and Chagaev and maybe JC Gomez in the list of fights that should have happened.

I don't blame Wlad for this - he was slowly rebuilding his career after some debilitating losses. However - rebuilding a career does not equal domination.

I appreciate that he did eventually fight Chagaev - BUT - it was after inactivity and Chagaev being stripped and the title handed to Valuev; although still a good win.

You point out that, excepting Austin, they were all ring ranked contenders. However - they were bottom end contenders. And beating them doesn't equal dominance.

Furthermore - where are Arreola, Solis, Briggs, Johnson, JC Gomez, in Wlad's dominance?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 15:55

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
oxring wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Longevity being 3 years.

The Klits have greater longevity and have cleaned up the division, and haven't been KO'd in their prime. Klits>>Tyson

Which of the Klits has cleaned up the division?

Both of them.

So technically neither of them.

No, technically both of them.

No, neither of them.

I am a huge fan of the K-bros - but unless they're "sharing" an atg spot; and unless Haye is going to beat both of them in a "tag team" matchup - then no, they haven't both "cleaned up" the division.

Not until they fight each other. Which they're not going to do.

Between the 2 of them, they have destroyed all the top 15 HWs except Povetkin, who declined to be destroyed. However - Wlads' wins don't go to Vitali and vice versa.

Who was helping WK while Vitali was retired for 4 years.

Did Wlad unify all the belts in those four years? No.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:07

Furthermore - where are Arreola, Solis, Briggs, Johnson, JC Gomez, in Wlad's dominance?

Johnson?? Briggs???

Areola and Solis are prob the only two that Wlad would/should have faced if it weren't for his brother.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:13

BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
oxring wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:Longevity being 3 years.

The Klits have greater longevity and have cleaned up the division, and haven't been KO'd in their prime. Klits>>Tyson

Which of the Klits has cleaned up the division?

Both of them.

So technically neither of them.

No, technically both of them.

No, neither of them.

I am a huge fan of the K-bros - but unless they're "sharing" an atg spot; and unless Haye is going to beat both of them in a "tag team" matchup - then no, they haven't both "cleaned up" the division.

Not until they fight each other. Which they're not going to do.

Between the 2 of them, they have destroyed all the top 15 HWs except Povetkin, who declined to be destroyed. However - Wlads' wins don't go to Vitali and vice versa.

Who was helping WK while Vitali was retired for 4 years.

Did Wlad unify all the belts in those four years? No.

Who cares about belts?

Who did Tyson beat to unify. Trevor Berbick, Tony Tucker and Bonecruser Smith.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:17

Look, the point is that no single Klit brother 'cleaned up' the heavyweight division. Why not say then that Khan and Bradley have 'cleaned up' the light welterweight division? It's the same principle.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:35

BALTIMORA wrote:Look, the point is that no single Klit brother 'cleaned up' the heavyweight division. Why not say then that Khan and Bradley have 'cleaned up' the light welterweight division? It's the same principle.

They haven't cleaned up in the sense that they have beaten every single rated fighter, but who has? Definitely not Mike Tyson.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:40

It's not a team sport!! If they've not fought the same opponents then only one can possibly have cleaned up, at most. As it is neither has individually cleaned up. Just because they're brothers doesn't mean their wins are eligible to be combined. If you care to check out Boxrec you'll find that Wlad and Vitali are listed as separate entities.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:43

If you care to take a look at Boxrec you'll find out that VK was retired for 4 years. Therefore the Klitschko 'team' did not exist for over half of WK's reign.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:45

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:If you care to take a look at Boxrec you'll find out that VK was retired for 4 years. Therefore the Klitschko 'team' did not exist for over half of WK's reign.

And? In that time did Wlad clean up? No. Thanks for underlining my point. T'riffic.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:47

BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:If you care to take a look at Boxrec you'll find out that VK was retired for 4 years. Therefore the Klitschko 'team' did not exist for over half of WK's reign.

And? In that time did Wlad clean up? No. Thanks for underlining my point. T'riffic.

Yet you think Tyson cleaned up despite NEVER facing his main rival. Marvelous.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 16:52

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Show me where I said that. Good luck finding it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 17:03

BALTIMORA wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Show me where I said that. Good luck finding it.

If you jump into my discussions I take it that you want to discuss points that I have made.

We were comparing the relative reigns of the K's and Tyson.

'cleaned up' is a subjective term. I could understand saying that neither the K's nor Tyson cleaned up at HW.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 17:07

There was I thinking this was a public forum.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 17:10

Anyway, I take it that you don't think Tyson cleaned up at HW then. That's pretty much end of discussion.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Furious Freak Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 19:04

Well at the time Tyson had cleaned up the division at the time of unifying the division, it was only at the tail end of his reign that Holyfield became a viable option. I personally feel that despite his level of opposition not being brilliant it was more than decent, wins over Smith, Witherspoon, Tubbs, Tucker, Spinks, Holmes, Berbick means a hell of a lot more than anyone the K Bros have beaten, even if they beat Haye whom is considered their biggest rival it doesn't alter that fact.

Tyson unified all three belts, then beat the lineal champion in Spinks while doing it in an explosive exciting fashion, for that reason alone he'd be ranked well ahead of the K Bros.

The IBRO top 15 is as follows and I don't see either Klitschko or Haye displacing anyone of them

1.Joe Louis
2.Muhammad Ali
3.Jack Johnson
4.Jack Dempsey
5.Rocky Marciano
6.Larry Holmes
7.James J. Jeffries
8.George Foreman
9.Sonny Liston
10.Joe Frazier
11.Gene Tunney
12.Lennox Lewis
13.Mike Tyson
14.Evander Holyfield
15.Sam Langford

The Furious Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 19:43

Tyson never fought Witherspoon.

Holyfield was his number one ranked challenger over his whole reign and he didn't fight him. Can you really say that he cleaned up?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by The Furious Freak Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 23:22

Holyfield was the number contender for just over a year I believe so it's safe to assume that prior to Holyfield moving up he had cleaned up the division quite decisively unless winning every single belt there is to win isn't good enough.

The Furious Freak

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 25 Apr 2011 - 23:53

Apparently just "being there" seems to be enough - because judging by Jukebox's argument - Tyson won every belt but didn't fight every challenger possible (though the Holyfield fight was booked next if he'd beaten Douglas, incidentally) and so therefore wasn't dominant, but Wlad Klitschko didn't win every belt OR fight every challenger available so has been dominant.

Somewhat incoherent argument, that.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:04

You can't have it both ways. If you say that WK didn't clean up the division because he never fought his bro, you have to also admit that Mike Tyson never cleaned up at HW because he didn't face his closest rival. Simple

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:08

The Furious Freak wrote:Holyfield was the number contender for just over a year I believe so it's safe to assume that prior to Holyfield moving up he had cleaned up the division quite decisively unless winning every single belt there is to win isn't good enough.

Ring Magazine had Holyfild as Tysons top ranked contender from 1987 - 1990.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:13

You'll find at the time of the Douglas fight Holyfield was approaching his second year as number one contender but seemed quite content building into the weight rather than going straight for Tyson.

You seem to like mentioning Vitalis 4 year absence, why did Wladimir clean up during that time then because if he had cleaned out the division he would have held all 4 titles as well as the lineal title surely?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:15

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine's_Annual_Ratings:_Heavyweight--1980s

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:18

Many thanks D4 you just proved me right Smile

Actually in fact Holyfield was the number one contender for 20 months

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:20

The Mighty Atom wrote:You'll find at the time of the Douglas fight Holyfield was approaching his second year as number one contender but seemed quite content building into the weight rather than going straight for Tyson.

You seem to like mentioning Vitalis 4 year absence, why did Wladimir clean up during that time then because if he had cleaned out the division he would have held all 4 titles as well as the lineal title surely?

Holyfield was number contender back in 1988, ranked higher than Douglas, Williams and Bruno.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:23

The Mighty Atom wrote:Many thanks D4 you just proved me right Smile

Actually in fact Holyfield was the number one contender for 20 months

Just as long as Tyson was Champion for.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:25

Having beaten 8 of the guys ranked in the top 10 during 1986 don't think we can say that Tyson hadn't well and truly cleaned up the division at the point he'd beaten Spinks, if that isn't cleaning out a division then nothing is.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:27

Terrible Tim was amongst the ranked contender but was never taken on.

But it King's fault not Tyson's he wanted to feed Tyson easy fight after easy fight and ride his golden horse to the pots of gold.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:29

Witherspoon was the only boxer in the 1986 top ten whom Tyson didn't face, now the standard of that top ten isn't the best but it's the best the division had to offer at the time.

Would you not agree that beating 7 of the top ten along with the champion is cleaning out a division as much as anyone could realistically expect?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:29

The Mighty Atom wrote:Having beaten 8 of the guys ranked in the top 10 during 1986 don't think we can say that Tyson hadn't well and truly cleaned up the division at the point he'd beaten Spinks, if that isn't cleaning out a division then nothing is.

Looking at that list just proves how weak the heavyweight division in the late 80s

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:32

The Mighty Atom wrote:You'll find at the time of the Douglas fight Holyfield was approaching his second year as number one contender but seemed quite content building into the weight rather than going straight for Tyson.

WK beat 6 of the top 10 ranked guys of 2005. The other 4 being tied up to Don Kings WBA merry-go-round.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:33

The Mighty Atom wrote:Witherspoon was the only boxer in the 1986 top ten whom Tyson didn't face, now the standard of that top ten isn't the best but it's the best the division had to offer at the time.

Would you not agree that beating 7 of the top ten along with the champion is cleaning out a division as much as anyone could realistically expect?

I would have like to see him face Tim and Evander. Beat them and he would have clean out the division in the late 80s.

But it does show up the division of being light of top quality opposition.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:34

But it's still far stronger than it is today, the heavyweight division has never been particularly strong aside from the golden era.

I doubt that Maskaev, Ruiz, Valuev, Ibragimov amongst others would have beaten the best of the rest of the late 80's lot.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:37

The Mighty Atom wrote:Witherspoon was the only boxer in the 1986 top ten whom Tyson didn't face, now the standard of that top ten isn't the best but it's the best the division had to offer at the time.

Tyson's reign at the top didn't really start until 1987. You can't ignore the top ranked fighters after 1986. Whichever way you try to gloss over it Tyson did not fight his main rival.

Tyson's opposition 1986 - 1990 is very comparible to WK's of 2005 up to but not including Haye.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:37

The Mighty Atom wrote:But it's still far stronger than it is today, the heavyweight division has never been particularly strong aside from the golden era.

I doubt that Maskaev, Ruiz, Valuev, Ibragimov amongst others would have beaten the best of the rest of the late 80's lot.

Is it though?

Think about?

The top ten between 1986-1990 and the Top ten between 2006-2010.

I would go for 2006-2010

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:38; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:38

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

WK beat 6 of the top 10 ranked guys of 2005. The other 4 being tied up to Don Kings WBA merry-go-round.

You can't even consider Wladimir to have cleaned out his era because the two most prestigious belts have never been in his possession, even then the WBO belt has never been considered as a belt for the elite in the division to win. Bowe is easily the strongest holder of that belt and he only had Hide to beat to optain it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:40

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Tyson's reign at the top didn't really start until 1987. You can't ignore the top ranked fighters after 1986. Whichever way you try to gloss over it Tyson did not fight his main rival.

Tyson's opposition 1986 - 1990 is very comparible to WK's of 2005 up to but not including Haye.

Not really Tubbs, Thomas, Holmes, Spinks, Tucker all had far more ability than anyone Wlad has beaten. Hell Valuev who for years was considered the best behind the K bros could only scrape a contentious decision over an ancient Holyfield, if that sort of boxer is considered good nowadays then god help us all.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:48

The Mighty Atom wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

Not really Tubbs, Thomas, Holmes, Spinks, Tucker all had far more ability than anyone Wlad has beaten. Hell Valuev who for years was considered the best behind the K bros could only scrape a contentious decision over an ancient Holyfield, if that sort of boxer is considered good nowadays then god help us all.

Valuev has never been considered good. He was just a result of Don Kings shananigans. None of the names you mentioned would stand out in the HW division today.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 0:51

The Mighty Atom wrote:
Jukebox Timebomb wrote:

You can't even consider Wladimir to have cleaned out his era because the two most prestigious belts have never been in his possession, even then the WBO belt has never been considered as a belt for the elite in the division to win. Bowe is easily the strongest holder of that belt and he only had Hide to beat to optain it.

And Mike Tyson had to beat the magnificent Trevor Berbick, Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker for his!!!

The belts mean nothing. Tyson was only able to unify so quickly and against such poor opposition because Don King owned the belts.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 8:05

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:WK beat 6 of the top 10 ranked guys of 2005. The other 4 being tied up to Don Kings WBA merry-go-round.

So he didn't "clean up" then, having missed 4 of the top 10. Simples.

Being serious - its your argument that Wlad "cleared up" HW. Without fighting every available contender OR winning every belt. Even when his big bro was away.

If we're abusing Tyson for not fighting Holyfield (his main rival) at first (he was next up after Douglas, though) then why aren't we abusing WK for not fighting Vit or Valuev?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 9:20

The Tony Tucker whom Tyson beat was a very good fighter who, I suspect, would have set very difficult problems for Wlad Klitschko. Pretty big guy with a good skill set and a very good jab. Ditto Pinklon Thomas. I'm not necessarily saying that I believe they would have beaten Klitschko, but I do believe that they would have represented a stiffer challenge than the men he has beaten. Even a focused Tony Tubbs, with his speed and technique, would have been a difficult opponent for many a champion, Klitschko included.

Tyson gets a bad rap for the quality of his competition, in my opinion. If we assume his prime, ( how I detest that word, ) to be from the Berbick fight to the Holyfied fights, his opponents had a combined average record of 26 - 2 - 0, which equates to 92.8%, and is a fair bit better than many of the usual candidates for a top fifteen spot. Granted, statistics without context are pretty meaningless, but I believe that if we watch Tyson's challengers the context is provided for us.

Just my opinions, of course.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:13

Jukebox Timebomb wrote:None of the names you mentioned would stand out in the HW division today.

If you honestly believe that Tucker, Tubbs, Thomas and so on weren't better boxers and technicians than Solis, Ibragimov and Peter, then you simply haven't ever watched them fight. There can be no other explanation at all. At least the likes of Thomas and Tucker knew how to work behind a jab and turned up in the ring looking in good shape.

Not sure why I'm trying to debate with you though, to be honest. Anyone who describes this generation of Heavyweights as a 'golden era', regardless of context, has some seriously skewed views.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:35

Had a dream the other night that both Haye and Wlad ended up outside the ring. Unfortunately Haye couldn't get up and Vitali shoved Wlad through the ropes and helped him to his feet. Also dreamt that Hatton KO'd Morales in 3.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:36

Michaels, Sean wrote:Had a dream the other night that both Haye and Wlad ended up outside the ring. Unfortunately Haye couldn't get up and Vitali shoved Wlad through the ropes and helped him to his feet. Also dreamt that Hatton KO'd Morales in 3.....

That's enough for me, tenner on those two results, please!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:45

There's a good argument Haye is in the 15 worst heavy champs of all time bracket at the moment. When Wlad smashes him to pieces he will likely rise a few spots!

Haye would have to dominate both K brothers then clear out the next upcoming crop of young heavies and then have them go on to be decent before even being considered top 20

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 10:54

Who are the next up and coming crop of heavyweights worth while taking on if he beats the K bros? Tyson Fury? Derek Chisora?
Pointless Even if he beats both K's he won't be top 15 because the K bro's don't deserve to be top 15 all time heavyweights.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 11:00

The heavyweights extend beyond the UK you know...

Povetkin
Helenius
Boystov
Pulev
Perez

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 11:03

wow_junky wrote:The heavyweights extend beyond the UK you know...

Povetkin
Helenius
Boystov
Pulev
Perez

Still not an awesome line-up, and they've yet to really prove themselves.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 11:09

wow_junky wrote:The heavyweights extend beyond the UK you know...

Povetkin
Helenius
Boystov
Pulev
Perez

TBH i would pick Chisora to beat all these guys and I'm not a big Del Boy fan. I just put Fury and Chisora out their because they were the first that came to mind. It's still the morning. :sleep:
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Tue 26 Apr 2011 - 11:10

That's generally the idea with "up and coming fighters"... they tend to be unproven!

As I said, Haye would have to clear out those lot and then they would need to go on and prove they were simply more than prospects

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next