The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football?

+6
The Special Juan
Crimey
Liam
westisbest
Ent
Fernando
10 posters

Go down

Should Injury Time be scrapped

Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_lcap13%Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_lcap87%Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_rcap 87% 
[ 13 ]
Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_lcap0%Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 15

Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Empty Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football?

Post by Fernando Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 21:25

Week after week we see manager complaining on the touchline about how little or how much time is left.

So why not just scrap injury time altogether and just blow the whistle immediately on 45/90 mins?

What do we think?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Empty Re: Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football?

Post by Ent Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 21:31

Cos time wasting would be even more of an issue?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? Empty Re: Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football?

Post by westisbest Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 21:52

Maybe take a leaf out of rugby's book.

Stop the clock when there is an injury, also when subs are made.
also when the ref wants to speak to a player.

just a thought.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 22:54

westisbest wrote:Maybe take a leaf out of rugby's book.

Stop the clock when there is an injury, also when subs are made.
also when the ref wants to speak to a player.

just a thought.

Completely agree. We'd get allot less controversy, such as how many actual minutes should have been added on etc.. e.g. manchester derby where owen scored 2 mins over the added time allocated. Just stop the clock like rugby.

Only issue is when the clock goes red, do we then have the same as rugby whereby we just kick it out. I'm sure Fifa will want to stay well away from rugby and be its own sport, which i can understand, but for me its common sense to just stop the clock during a disruption to the game.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 23:03

Managers will always complain about things though, I don't think there is really an issue with injury time.

That Manchester derby in question, the referee did nothing wrong, he was perfectly allowed to let play continue over the allotted injury time, and several newspapers showed where the extra time came from. Manchester City used it as an excuse.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 23:08

Liam.

I would say when the 90 mins are up the ref just blows regardless of where the ball is.

They should try it out, like they do with goal line technology.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 19 Dec 2012 - 23:16

Crimey wrote:Managers will always complain about things though, I don't think there is really an issue with injury time.

That Manchester derby in question, the referee did nothing wrong, he was perfectly allowed to let play continue over the allotted injury time, and several newspapers showed where the extra time came from. Manchester City used it as an excuse.

The one where Owen scored in 90 + 5 or something? I think MotD 2 counted the stoppage time and the goal came 1 second after the whistle should have been blown.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 0:00

The Special Juan wrote:
Crimey wrote:Managers will always complain about things though, I don't think there is really an issue with injury time.

The one where Owen scored in 90 + 5 or something? I think MotD 2 counted the stoppage time and the goal came 1 second after the whistle should have been blown.

Yeah, this is coming from a Liverpool fan, I think if it wasn't Manchester United scoring against the then underdogs of City to win, nobody would have cared so much.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 0:29

why should the ref stop the clock? They already use a second watch to account for stoppages, he should just do his job properly. Things would take even longer if he stopped every time he talked to someone and there would be no link to the official time keeping leaving everyone else largely confused.

Terrible idea, the rules are there and are completely adequate for all aspects of the game the refs just need to enforce them properly.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 8:37

I wouldnt go as far to say it's a terrible idea.

Certainly wouldnt hurt to try.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 10:32

Ent wrote:why should the ref stop the clock? They already use a second watch to account for stoppages, he should just do his job properly. Things would take even longer if he stopped every time he talked to someone and there would be no link to the official time keeping leaving everyone else largely confused.

Terrible idea, the rules are there and are completely adequate for all aspects of the game the refs just need to enforce them properly.

Watch US sports. They have an official time keeper in the stands and the clock stoppage never interrupts anything. They also have clocks all over the place. Many football clubs already have clocks in their grounds that show the score, the time and the game time. If clubs don't have that facility or can't afford to install it then the official time keeper can have a way to communicate the time to the guy on the PA system.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 11:04

I'd keep things as they are, imagine never seeing Aguero's winner last season, or Sheringham/Solskjaer in 99? Injury time is made for moments of greatness, let's keep it Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? 3559488474

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 17:15

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I'd keep things as they are, imagine never seeing Aguero's winner last season, or Sheringham/Solskjaer in 99? Injury time is made for moments of greatness, let's keep it Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? 3559488474

Exactly. Or Will Buckley's 97th min winner against Doncaster in the first ever game at the AMEX. History is made in injury time!!!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 11:26

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:I'd keep things as they are, imagine never seeing Aguero's winner last season, or Sheringham/Solskjaer in 99? Injury time is made for moments of greatness, let's keep it Should Injury Time be scrapped from Football? 3559488474

Exactly. Or Will Buckley's 97th min winner against Doncaster in the first ever game at the AMEX. History is made in injury time!!!

He said greatness...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 16:41

Marky wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:

He said greatness...

A club without a home for 14 years and nearly going bust. Wining at our new home in-front of 22,000 fans? Greatness to say the least

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 17:39

MockingJay33 wrote:
Ent wrote:why should the ref stop the clock? They already use a second watch to account for stoppages, he should just do his job properly. Things would take even longer if he stopped every time he talked to someone and there would be no link to the official time keeping leaving everyone else largely confused.

Watch US sports. They have an official time keeper in the stands and the clock stoppage never interrupts anything. They also have clocks all over the place. Many football clubs already have clocks in their grounds that show the score, the time and the game time. If clubs don't have that facility or can't afford to install it then the official time keeper can have a way to communicate the time to the guy on the PA system.

Time keeping is very different in stop start sports, so unless you want to take the role away from the referee completely and take 4-5 hours to finish a 90 minute game I suggest we leave it like it is as there is no problem with it.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 19:12

No American sport takes 4 hours to complete one game. The way I'd see it work in football is that the clock would stop every time the referee wants to talk to somebody. When there's a throw-in or free kick, etc. then the clock can run as usual.

The way the clock is controlled in American sports shows you exactly how long is left. It's just as exciting as injury time and nobody can complain.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 24 Dec 2012 - 8:24

NickisBHAFC wrote:
Marky wrote:
NickisBHAFC wrote:

He said greatness...

A club without a home for 14 years and nearly going bust. Wining at our new home in-front of 22,000 fans? Greatness to say the least

Aguero's winner, winning the Premier League deep into stoppage time = greatness
Sheringham/Solskjaer, turning defeat into victory deep into stoppage time to win the Champions League and complete a treble = greatness
Opening game of the Championship with a new ground and an injury time winner = not greatness

It might mean a lot to you, but equally I could say Joe Dolan's injury time bullet header for Crawley Town against Woking 7 years ago was greatness.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Mon 24 Dec 2012 - 8:58

MockingJay33 wrote:No American sport takes 4 hours to complete one game. The way I'd see it work in football is that the clock would stop every time the referee wants to talk to somebody. When there's a throw-in or free kick, etc. then the clock can run as usual.

The way the clock is controlled in American sports shows you exactly how long is left. It's just as exciting as injury time and nobody can complain.

Sounds pretty pointless as the referee already has the ability to add time on for this and inform everyone of the time added. Plus it just allows for time wasting.

The same sort of errors would be made, what's the point?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by davidl1061 Fri 28 Dec 2012 - 9:09

It should remain the way it is, the injury time argument is flawed anyway because everytime it is announced it is a MINIMUM amount of time that will be played. If things occur within this period then it will obviously be extended.

davidl1061

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down