The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions League Draw for Last 16

+45
Steffan
Bull
kingraf
compelling and rich
Imperial Ghosty
SecretFly
dummy_half
SirJohnnyEnglish
MtotheC
ONETWOFOREVER
Dolphin Ziggler
Born Slippy
McLaren
nathan
Mad for Chelsea
cherriesfna
Henman Bill
spencerclarke
Soldier_Of_Fortune
mystiroakey
Nakatomi Plaza
Stella
JamesLincs
nasisillmatic
Fernando
hampo17
GSC
James_182
ManofSteel
skyeman
Ent
The Special Juan
NickisBHAFC
Kay Fabe
Liam
monty junior
Duty281
CFCNick
Good Golly I'm Olly
User 774433
Crimey
Gregers
Kenny
liverbnz
Hero
49 posters

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Champions League Draw for Last 16 - Page 8 Empty Champions League Draw for Last 16

Post by Hero Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 10:58

First topic message reminder :

Galatasaray v Schalke

Celtic v Juventus

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund

AC Milan v Barcelona

Real Madrid v Manchester United

Valencia v Paris St Germain

Porto v Malaga

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Champions League Draw for Last 16 - Page 8 Empty Re: Champions League Draw for Last 16

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 17:01

How are Liverpool doing in the champions league SOF?

Oh that's right they've not even been in it for a few years but do carry on taking pleasure in the misfortune of a team head and shoulders above the crock of Poopie that is Liverpool.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Champions League Draw for Last 16 - Page 8 Empty Re: Champions League Draw for Last 16

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 17:53

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How are Liverpool doing in the champions league SOF?

Oh that's right they've not even been in it for a few years but do carry on taking pleasure in the misfortune of a team head and shoulders above the crock of Poopie th at is Liverpool.

Hahahahahahahahaha get a grip Ghosty. Best team won won over the two legs as the 3-2 score reflects. Very Happy

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 17:54

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How are Liverpool doing in the champions league SOF?

Oh that's right they've not even been in it for a few years but do carry on taking pleasure in the misfortune of a team head and shoulders above the crock of Poopie that is Liverpool.

laughing Just what I was about to say. It's pathetic.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:23

I think Madrid would have scored eventually, but they didnt look awfully dangerous. Just an accumulation of pressure.

Nani's tackle? Not a red, like those in that West Ham game. Be lucky to get it rescinded, but then again he probably wont be at United so I doubt they'll care.

The standard of English football in comparison to Europe is rather subjective. Based on the context of the Champions League its ridiculously hard to measure. Theres teams both could have been drawn against that they would have beaten with ease, whilst others would then get knocked out against harder sides. I prefer to see the Italians and Germans getting strong again, makes it the unpredictable tournament it used to be.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:26

Madrid will not win it as there are better teams in the tournament than them. Still, as Chelsea showed miracles do happen.

Dortmund Braveheart
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:35

madrid are the best team left

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 18:36

John wrote:Obviously the future of Rooney is going to be in question from now on but all I keep hearing from united fan i know is, 'sell rooney, we've got welbeck'.

I can't understand these people, I'm actually in hysterics listening to them. Yes, Welbeck is a good player and is good at hold up play and running with the ball but whenever he gets near the box he suddenly becomes woeful, his finishing is of league one standard and if you talk to united fans with knowledge, they will all accept the reason united went out is because madrid took their chances, higher chance conversion rate, whereas welbeck & rvp to an extent continually fluffed everything.

Welbeck is not a replacement for Rooney. Welbeck will never be world class or have the ability rooney possesses. I'm sick and tired of listening to andy townsend brown nose welbeck on itv every game. The same thing happens with jamie redknapp when talking about welbeck. If those two and united fans think the future is welbeck and that his finishing ability for a striker, cos that's what he is paid for, is going to lead them to a haul of trophies then they need to think again.

not seen too many saying sell rooney because wellbeck will replace him, most are saying sell him because we would get a stupid amount of money for a player who is on a slippery slope and is now a much worse player than he was when we signed him. he's a typical little englander smoking fags eating rubbish and wasting what talent he had. watch the rooney of 2004 and tell me this tap in merchant is a better player than then. say what you want about wellbeck but which one was the stand out player over two legs and looked hungry and wanted it.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:20

Got to laugh at the handful of experts who are saying we should have defended better with 10 men, obviously didnt notice the plan to keep alonso off the ball and funnel the attacks to our left - a plan which required 11 men.

Madrid won't win it, not good enough at the back- they missed their chance last year.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:24

bayern missed there chance last year.

Have people been missing some of madrids play in there league or something??

yes i admit they didnt look any better than united and bayern look pretty set up..

but real madrid have to much threat to discount from this tourny

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:25

Have to say im inclined to agree with Ent about Madrid.

I cant see them getting past Bayern and Dortmund outplayed them in both group stage games.

Depends how the draw pans out of course
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:27

Well at least it's still interesting even though our teams are out..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:28

mystiroakey wrote:

Have people been missing some of madrids play in there league or something??

The same Madrid that are 3rd and miles behind a managerless Barca?! #headsgone
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:30

OIlly so you haven't watched them recently then. You admit that?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:32

There's always a bright side. Apparently Howard Webb is in charge on Sunday Smile
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:34

They beat barca well but they've also lost to Granada recebtly

They give up too many chances to be viewed as a serious threat for the tournament unless they tighten up dramatically.

Last edited by Ent on Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:38; edited 1 time in total

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:34

The Special Juan wrote:There's always a bright side. Apparently Howard Webb is in charge on Sunday Smile

So where's the bright side?

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:36

A couple of Copa Del Rey wins over a Barca side without there manager and suddenly they are gonna win the Champions League?!

Come off it mysti. They've been pants in the league behind Athletico as well by a fair bit, there is no way they get past Dortmund/Bayern/Juve maybe Barca if they get through for me.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:37

Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:There's always a bright side. Apparently Howard Webb is in charge on Sunday Smile

Ah it's a joke.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:41

I'm with TSJ in thinking Dortmund might surprise a few people.

My prediction for the final (obviously hoping they avoid each other) is Bayern vs Dortmund
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:43

The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:

Ah it's a joke.

Is he supposed to favour us? Not really funny is it!

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:44

Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:

Ah it's a joke.

No but everyone thinks he does.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:46

i haven't been too impressed with madrid we were comfortable over both legs bar the 15 minutes after the red card. cant understand any one saying madrid were the better team. city and dortmund also showed for the most part that there not to be feared. but they do have fire power so you really cant rule them out especially with mourinho in charge and nothing to play for domestically

dortmund look good but were still yet to see how there young team deal with the big games, don't think there defence is up to much either and could cost them

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 19:50

I thought Madrid were quite poor last night, and for all the talk of Ronaldo, Ozil etc. I felt the key to United muting Madrid was keeping Alonso quiet. Khedira offers very little in the middle of the park in terms of creating chances and Ozil doesn't play deep enough to start attacks. Real Madrid rely on Alonso spreading the ball to the wingers, and I thought United were very good at countering that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 20:08

The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:

Ah it's a joke.

Why? I've never felt this, I dread him being in charge of our games...

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 20:15

webb is a ref who wants to make decisions even when theres nothing to give, the old adage about not knowing the ref is on the pitch certainly doesn't apply to webb. i dont see the whole webb's a red thing

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 20:16

Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:

Ah it's a joke.

I'm indifferent. I can't say I've ever noticed him being biased either way, not that he should be of course.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:04

Valencia take the lead 1-0 in PSG, meaning it is now 2-2 on aggregate.

They need another goal
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:13

Olly wrote:Valencia take the lead 1-0 in PSG, meaning it is now 2-2 on aggregate.

They need another goal

psg have equalised but doesn't change too much Valencia still need to get 1 at least, not been overly impressed with psg here

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:13

Valencia are awful. 1-1 now, PSG will do it but this is probably as far as they will go, not good enough. Unless there's a shocking draw, which i'm fearing, where PSG get a Schalke or Porto and one of them gets to the Semi's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:15

Valencia still only need a goal to take to extra time tho
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:33

The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:
Ent wrote:

Ah it's a joke.

I'm indifferent. I can't say I've ever noticed him being biased either way, not that he should be of course.

Whilst he has improved I think he is a shocking referee.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 21:56

PSG vs Barcelona/Milan
Real Madrid vs Schalke/Galatasaray
Juventus vs Borussia Dortmund
Bayern Munich vs Porto/Malaga

That's the QF's we want to see, big teams avoiding each other. With the semi's like this.

Barcelona vs Real Madrid
Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich

Mouthwatering (if only I could fix the draws)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 22:06

Boring.

There have been 5 clasicos a season for 3 years, bayern and dorind shave played 5 times in 18 months or so.

Far better off having them face each other in the semis an all Spanish/German final as that ads interest to familiar games.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 22:36

I'd rather see Juventus in the semis to be honest, even if it is just for Pirlo who is such a good player.

Real Madrid vs. Juventus (Xabi Alonso vs. Pirlo)
Barcelona vs. Bayern Munich

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 22:38

If we had got through I was hoping wed draw psg as we've never played them in Europe in my memory and potentially David Beckham At old Trafford.

Alas not to be and I don't really care about the draw and just hope it throws up 4 good ties.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 6 Mar 2013 - 22:46

Real Madrid vs Galatasaray would be interesting (if they make it). Drogba playing against Mourinho and Sneijder back at Madrid.

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 0:21

mystiroakey wrote:madrid are the best team left

Dortmund are still in who finished comfortably ahead of Madrid in the group stages. Bayern are better than Madrid, Barca are having a rough patch but i'd still take them over Madrid who have been hapless all season bar the last week or so. They could win but i think they are as likely to win it as Juventus or PSG.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 9:19

Crimey wrote:I thought Madrid were quite poor last night, and for all the talk of Ronaldo, Ozil etc. I felt the key to United muting Madrid was keeping Alonso quiet. Khedira offers very little in the middle of the park in terms of creating chances and Ozil doesn't play deep enough to start attacks. Real Madrid rely on Alonso spreading the ball to the wingers, and I thought United were very good at countering that.

I agree.

If you stop Alonso from spraying the passes around, the other midfielders struggle to get into the game.

I still cannot look past Barcelona to at least make the final.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 9:49

I cant see Barca getting past AC. I think that AC will score at the Nou Camp and that would mean Barca would need to score 4. Tough ask

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 13:38

Juventus got lucky...

Top class team, their defence is water tight, so so organised, they are also extremely clinical, I'd like to see them make the final if possible, Bayern Munich's year for me though

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 13:45

Juventus are a good team, but Bayern have probably impressed me the most so far (though Milan's performance vs Barca was the single most impressive performance to date). Don't know why a lot of people are assuming Barca will make the latter stages, a two-goal deficit is tough to overcome at the best of times, and Barca are a long way off the best of times recently. Dortmund also look good, while Madrid did respond impressively to Nani's sending-off (you have to give Mourinho some credit too, his substitution was spot on introducing Modric). It's really a very open competition this year, which makes it all the more enjoyable to me Very Happy

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:04

Haven't seen that much of the CL this year, but was very impressed with Bayern against Arsenal - good players going forward and as close to a rock solid defence as you'll see anywhere.

Real didn't look all that great against Man U until the sending off - good for the first 10 minutes or so then Fergie's game plan started to really work (i.e. keep the central midfield solid and use Nani and Welbeck stretch the real defenders by running with the ball). If either the sending off hadn't happened or the Real keeper hadn't been having one of those games where everything seemed to hit him, I don't think Real would have gone through. At the moment they look like a lot of good players not adding up to a good team (and just how many attacking midfielders do you need in one squad?). They were though very clinical for the 10 mins between the red card and taking the lead.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:10

Football fans may be the most quick to judge of all sports. In the group stages, following a defeat to Malaga, all I heard was how this group of Milan players did not deserve to wear the the Rossinieri. About 3 European matches later, they may just beat 'The greatest club team of all time' in a tie.
Rooney has been on the bench for a few matches this season, I dont understand how this one suddenly means he is on his way out. Personally, I have never really rated Rooney as what American sports call "elite", although he did have a 2010 which seemed to signal the jump was looming. Othwerise I have merely seen Rooney as a great trier, who will run himself to the ground for a team, all while being in possession of a decent right boot. I always felt Englands success was more dependent on Lampard & Gerrard finally learning to co-exist than anything Rooney could offer. Indeed, In the last decade Lamps and Stevie G have been Englands most valued commodities.

That said, Rooney is not going anywhere, No other club better than Utd (Madrid, Barca, Bayern & Dortmund) can afford £250 000-a-week and maybe £40-45m in transfer. Especially if R.Mad are really going after Bale (I sincerely hope we aren't, he is truly no better than di Maria... and if he is, not to the tune of £50m)
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:28

kingraf wrote:...Rooney has been on the bench for a few matches this season, I dont understand how this one suddenly means he is on his way out. Personally, I have never really rated Rooney as what American sports call "elite", although he did have a 2010 which seemed to signal the jump was looming. Othwerise I have merely seen Rooney as a great trier, who will run himself to the ground for a team, all while being in possession of a decent right boot. I always felt Englands success was more dependent on Lampard & Gerrard finally learning to co-exist than anything Rooney could offer. Indeed, In the last decade Lamps and Stevie G have been Englands most valued commodities.

That said, Rooney is not going anywhere, No other club better than Utd (Madrid, Barca, Bayern & Dortmund) can afford £250 000-a-week and maybe £40-45m in transfer. Especially if R.Mad are really going after Bale (I sincerely hope we aren't, he is truly no better than di Maria... and if he is, not to the tune of £50m)

I think you are slightly underselling Rooney there - for me he's got a bit more quality than your description of a 'trier with decent right foot'. Agree that he's a little behind the very best (Ronaldo, Messi), primarily for me because he lacks that extra half yard of pace that would take him clear of defenders, and also because he can sometimes be a bit sloppy with possession (although he usually follows up a bad moment with something sublime).

As for England, I think there has always been an issue in getting the best out of all of Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard simultaneously, a conundrum that no manager has ever really solved because they all like to operate in similar parts of the pitch.

Not sure what the talk of a transfer is about - as you say, there are very few clubs that he could move to that are superior and that can afford him. I'm also unconvinced that he is the sort of character that would settle well overseas. Can't see a spot for him at City or Chelski, who are the two EPL sides that could afford him and offer the chance to win stuff.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:36

Rooney's a good player.

But he does seem abit overshadowed at the moment.

Personally I would love to see him move on to a slighty lesser club like liverpool Arsenal or totenham!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:40

Dummy, about 17 goals 12+ assists in 80+ CL games is more than only 'just' behind CR7 and Leo. for comparison, in the last two seasons, CRR7 has scored 18 in 18. While Leo netted 15 or so last year.

Welback, though is not Rooney. He is just a fast guy with funky haircut. He may eventually surpass Rooney as a player. But a transfer doesnt make sense. RvP has been relatively injury-free for the last two years, but before that, a mini cheer went up at Highbury/Emirates any time he was announced for two straight games. As a man entering 30, can he stay injury-free?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:41

I've never seen Rooney on the bench when Utd have been playing a massive game, like the Madrid one. Probably was just tactics.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:42

oh to have such problems ( i wish )
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 7 Mar 2013 - 15:43

I could though see Chelski putting up an offer. I have always felt that Roman creates his teams on the Fifa playstation game, and then decides to buy the player
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 8 Mar 2013 - 9:36

kingraf wrote:

Bayern although having the money would never ever pay a player 250 grand a week, especially one who imo is certainly not world class. Dortmund wont ,their highest paid player is about 80 grand a week and again wouldn't pay anything near that amount. The only teams that could afford him are Chelsea,Man City Barca, Real, (neither would buy him) PSG, Zenit and Anzhi, though i seriously doubt he would move to Russia. Leaving PSG as the only reasonable alternative.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next