The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Old Larry Big Pants

+10
hogey
John Bloody Wayne
ShahenshahG
monty junior
88Chris05
Imperial Ghosty
Super D Boon
bhb001
AlexHuckerby
Rowley
14 posters

Go down

Good Old Larry Big Pants Empty Good Old Larry Big Pants

Post by Rowley Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 20:37

His name has cropped up on here a bit today and there are those that think Gordy's views on the Klitschko's are a little unfair or extreme. However I think I have found someone who manages to make our good friend look positively effusive in his praise of them, step forward Mr Larry Holmes

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/view-Article.asp?ArticleID=2223

Suffice to say it does not appear old age has done a lot to mellow Holmes, who as someone once said is a well balanced guy, he has a chip on both shoulders. God knows I love the guy but wish he would change the record every once in a while.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Good Old Larry Big Pants Empty Re: Good Old Larry Big Pants

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 20:44

It's like Larry, your 63, you've made millions, you carried on too long anyway, just leave it.

You can't trouble the Klitschko's no matter how much "Stupid Sh*t" they supposedly do.

A comeback at his age really is just gonna be sad.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu 20 Dec 2012 - 20:49

A man happy in his bitterness. I'd love to listen in to a conversation between him and "I have a dream" Harrison.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 13:47

It's funny because I actually think the Klitschkos could beat a prime Larry.

I can't see Wlad at 36 struggling against Spinks either.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 13:52

Larry v Shane Mosley in early January just to ensure that boxing couldn't sink any lower for the rest of the year

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 14:30

Super D Boon wrote:It's funny because I actually think the Klitschkos could beat a prime Larry.

Different fighters age at a different and for what it's worth Spinks would be a massive step up in quality for either brother (Lewis excepted), don't think either has it easy against his awkward style. Prime Holmes does everything either brother does but far better with greater resilience and variety.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 14:45

It's a bit of an odd one, I suppose. I'd make Larry a favourite over both brothers (verging on the lukewarm at best against Wladimir and only marginal against Vitali, mind you) but I can't see Spinks beating a Klitschko, either. In fact I don't even see him going the distance with either Wladimir or Vitali.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 19:05

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:It's funny because I actually think the Klitschkos could beat a prime Larry.

Different fighters age at a different and for what it's worth Spinks would be a massive step up in quality for either brother (Lewis excepted), don't think either has it easy against his awkward style. Prime Holmes does everything either brother does but far better with greater resilience and variety.

I'd agree Holmes has a lot going for him in the comparison's but i certainly wouldn't say "everything". Size, weight is a pretty big factor and although Holmes was a pretty big guy himself he'd be fighting guy's 30 pounds heavier who can move and both punch significantly harder than Holmes, especially Wlad. I mean the guy had a ATG heavyweight chin but he was hurt by far lesser punchers, but then again you really had to land flush to hurt Holmes, whether they could do that is another question.

50/50 with Wlad
60/40 with Vitali for Holmes

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 19:12

Shavers and Tyson far lesser punchers, get out of Wlads rear end.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 20:36

monty junior wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:

I'd agree Holmes has a lot going for him in the comparison's but i certainly wouldn't say "everything". Size, weight is a pretty big factor and although Holmes was a pretty big guy himself he'd be fighting guy's 30 pounds heavier who can move and both punch significantly harder than Holmes, especially Wlad. I mean the guy had a ATG heavyweight chin but he was hurt by far lesser punchers, but then again you really had to land flush to hurt Holmes, whether they could do that is another question.

50/50 with Wlad

Strangely I have Holmes doing better against Vitali than Wlad. Holmes would pepper the jab against Vitali and frequently score given Vitalis defence is sometimes too reliant on his reflexes. With Wlad it's a different matter altogether as it's hard just landing a shot and his jab is always semi extended and he scores punches so often. I don't think either bro knocks out Holmes but one thing I will say with a great degree of conviction, if Holmes trains for a fight against either K2 for 2013 then he's going to get slaughtered!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Dec 2012 - 20:53

I think they're a bit to classy for that Super D - They wouldn't give Holyfield a fight and he's at least been active and competitive, doubt they'd want to smash up holmes no matter how much of a Tinkywinky he is.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 0:35

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Shavers and Tyson far lesser punchers, get out of Wlads rear end.

Laugh

Gotta say I think Vitali would be humiliated by a mover of Holmes' ability. Wlad too I couldn't see winning but with Vitali's zombie-ish movement I'd predict a Holmes field day.

Wlad's advantage is that you'd have two of the top jabbers in history trying to outdo each other at their own game, difference for me being Holmes' more varied arsenal and superior ability to fight at pace which I always see as a downfall in fantasy matchups involving the Klistchkos.

Even a detractor like myself would back either of them to swat Holmes today though.

I wouldn't back Spinks to trouble either Klistchko, but I wouldn't pick Henry Cooper to ever trouble Tyson yet I see Iron Mike losing to Ali...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 16:13

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Shavers and Tyson far lesser punchers, get out of Wlads rear end.

I was talking about compared to Holmes you clown!

Anyway,he was doing the chicken dance after being tagged by Snipes, hardly an ATG puncher.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 22 Dec 2012 - 21:10

...and came back to win.

Whereas Wlad was stopped by such ATG power hitters as Ross Purrity.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 17:21

Through exhaustion. Also Purrity could bang, he had something like an 85% KO ratio although against modest opposition.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 17:25

I think with the chin and recuperative abilities/variety/heart of Holmes he could've overcome exhaustion, but when backed into a corner Larry was something special.

Ross was Paulie in comparison to Shavers.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 17:35

Purritys KO ratio was closer to 50% than 85%, does amaze me that people only ever take into account fights that a boxer won conveniently overlooking the countless losses they have.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 17:43

Super D Boon wrote:
monty junior wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:

50/50 with Wlad

Strangely I have Holmes doing better against Vitali than Wlad. Holmes would pepper the jab against Vitali and frequently score given Vitalis defence is sometimes too reliant on his reflexes. With Wlad it's a different matter altogether as it's hard just landing a shot and his jab is always semi extended and he scores punches so often. I don't think either bro knocks out Holmes but one thing I will say with a great degree of conviction, if Holmes trains for a fight against either K2 for 2013 then he's going to get slaughtered!

Obviously picard

Such throwaway comments are not meant to be taken seriously

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 23 Dec 2012 - 21:05

It wasn't taken seriously! picard

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 24 Dec 2012 - 16:30

Holmes was totally different level to the Klits, he was the full package and he would have boxed their ears off before scoring a KO against Wlad and a wide UD against Vitali. One of the most underated ATG fighters of all time.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:13

Rowley wrote:His name has cropped up on here a bit today and there are those that think Gordy's views on the Klitschko's are a little unfair or extreme. However I think I have found someone who manages to make our good friend look positively effusive in his praise of them, step forward Mr Larry Holmes

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/view-Article.asp?ArticleID=2223

Suffice to say it does not appear old age has done a lot to mellow Holmes, who as someone once said is a well balanced guy, he has a chip on both shoulders. God knows I love the guy but wish he would change the record every once in a while.

Ha! so now will you listen to what I have been saying about Klitschko. Other fighters like Holmes who now their boxing are just confirming what I have been saying.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:22

Larry would be jealous of himself if he could.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:23

Gordy wrote: Other fighters like Holmes who now their boxing are just confirming what I have been saying.

Holmes who knows his boxing (your words)

Holmes on Lennox Lewis

"He's a joke- a big athletic guy who's strictly a front runner. Put him in against a fighter who stands up to him - like say Ray Mercer did - and Lewis is exposed as a man who doesn't like a real fight. Lennox Lewis is just a heavyweight wanna-be"

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:24

Rowley wrote:
Gordy wrote: Other fighters like Holmes who now their boxing are just confirming what I have been saying.

Holmes on Lennox Lewis

"He's a joke- a big athletic guy who's strictly a front runner. Put him in against a fighter who stands up to him - like say Ray Mercer did - and Lewis is exposed as a man who doesn't like a real fight. Lennox Lewis is just a heavyweight wanna-be"

Laugh

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:27

Rowley wrote:

Holmes on Lennox Lewis

Will you stop putting up well informed comments that refute idiotic comments. It just isn't the right forum!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:41

Rowley wrote:

Holmes on Lennox Lewis

Good Old Larry Big Pants 1347041234

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:47

Rowley wrote:

Holmes on Lennox Lewis

Have you proof that he ever said this? Even if he did say it, which Im not convinced, its more likely to be jealousy because Lewis is rated as a far better heavyweight than Holmes is and would have knocked him out. He has nothing ot be jealous of Klitschko because Klitschko is not a great heavyweight. Notice how even though he is in his 60s he still says he could comeback and beat Klitschko. Funny how he never tried to fight Lewis when Lewis was fighting!

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:49

http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_80_best.htm

http://www.ibroresearch.com/?p=52

Wrong as per usual Gordy, i'll repeat it again, bugger off you're dragging this forum down with your idiotic stupidity.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:49

It's in his autobiography, page 272 if you want to get hold of a copy. I'd send you mine to prove it but firstly I don't like you well enough to do so and also don't really care enough whether you believe me or not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 15:56

Rowley wrote:It's in his autobiography, page 272 if you want to get hold of a copy. I'd send you mine to prove it but firstly I don't like you well enough to do so and also don't really care enough whether you believe me or not.

Well see what I said afterwards. Holmes was probably jealous of Lewis but it would not make sense for him to be jealous of Klitschko.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 16:05

Check the links I posted, Holmes is in fact rated a fair bit higher than Lewis not the other way round. To my mind Holmes' jealousy has on the whole been directed towards Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Marciano not Lewis.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 16:15

So if Holmes says something you agree with he knows what he is talking about, if you disagree you dismiss his opinion. Good system.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebawwse Sat 29 Dec 2012 - 16:37

larry holmes reminds me of denver the last dinosaur for some reason and not for his skateboarding skills

thebawwse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 0:37

Imperial Ghosty wrote:http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_80_best.htm

Wrong as per usual Gordy, i'll repeat it again, bugger off you're dragging this forum down with your idiotic stupidity.

Hear hear, stop this idiotic stupidity Gordy... Come up with some stupidity that's less idiotic.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 0:56

I tell thee, if there was a world Heavyweight championship for smack talking then Big Lar would definitely get his wish of being at the top of everyone's all-time list by a country mile!

There's a good interview of Holmes and John Rawling from 2004 which is still available on YouTube, actually, where he offers his glowing appraisal of Lennox Lewis once more. When asked if he felt Lewis was / is overrated, he more or less answered with "What's he even done to be rated in the first place? He basically beat a load of guys he was supposed to beat anyway, and then got knocked out by two guys who can't even fight!"

Mind you, his Hall of Fame induction speech in 2008 was worth Larry Big Pants' current weight in gold! Delightful stuff, even if it did have undertones of his jealousy of Foreman's popularity.

Anyway, Larry would have had trouble with both brothers, for my money. As great as his jab was, he was susceptible to a good jab himself and got frustrated when he was tied up and smothered, which Wladimir in particular does well. He probably wears Wladimir out but would doubtless drop the odd decision to Vitali in a long enough series, I think, though he still comes out marginally on top.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 1:00

milkyboy wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_80_best.htm

Hear hear, stop this idiotic stupidity Gordy... Come up with some stupidity that's less idiotic.

I saw the other day in Morrisons a DVD of "Gordy", which is a film about a talking pig. Now a user who names himself after a talking pig is unlikely to be setting out his stall as a well informed and balanced poster.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 30 Dec 2012 - 1:19

Super, i was teasing ghosty's tautology... Never taken Gordy seriously enough to care whether he stays or goes, bless him, or whoever's alter ego he is.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down