The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flintoff Retires?

+10
Small Time
ShahenshahG
hampo17
School Project
Rowley
milkyboy
bellchees
Seanusarrilius
ManofSteel
mobilemaster8
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flintoff Retires? Empty Flintoff Retires?

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 20 Dec 2012, 11:29 pm

It appears as if Big Freddy has undergone a shoulder operation and may consider quitting the sport.

I would have to agree with him based on his windmill demolition in his pro debut.

Retires as an undefeated ATG British legend of the sport. There is simply no blueprint.

Who knows how far he could have gone.

Anyway, enough crap, he was garbage. Good to see him dabble in our great sport though, fair play to the man. He looked awkward but got the win which is more then most would/could achieve.

Thoughts?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Flintoff Retires? Empty Re: Flintoff Retires?

Post by ManofSteel Thu 20 Dec 2012, 11:36 pm

This is very good news.

It took guts and great determination for Freddie to do what he did, but let's be honest, it was a bloody sham.

He will be able to tell his grandkids about his journey into the squared circle but one fight was more than enough. He had no ability and his opponent was clearly handpicked to not throw punches.

ManofSteel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 20 Dec 2012, 11:57 pm

The end to a HOF career by a man who has inspired millions of fight fans. GET LOST FREDDIE!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:07 am

Nothing wrong with Flintoff having a go at boxing, he dedicated himself entirely to it which should be the minimum requirement but it seems to be something that not all fighters do. Much prefer that to the fat git in the other corner who was supposed to be a Pro but clearly wasn't in shape and was even worse than the former cricketer taking up the sport for a few months in his mid thirties.

Recently saw one of our heavyweight prospects Dillian Whyte fight a massive useless fat bum with a record of 3-24-4. How come Flintoff gets more stick than these professional tomato cans who Flintoff would beat despite taking up the sport for less than a year.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:14 am

Maybe its because they get beaten up for a living to earn a few quid, and millionaire freddy gets headline billing for an ego trip.

Each to their own belchees, and I don't really begrudge him having a go.. It takes guts to get in the ring, but if I'd been in training for that length of time, and still looked like 'a burly farmhand swatting an imaginary swarm of bees' I'd be pretty embarrassed regardless of the 'win'.

i think most of us do think some of these lardy heavies are an embarrassment too, but for different reasons. They don't have the luxury of being a media personality with a free ticket to the big time... If Freddie's going to take advantage of that then he better be at least ok or he's going to get some stick. He was terrible, so he got some stick. Your argument seems to be that he got him self fit, and should be applauded for it. Yep he did, so well done fredalo, that would have been fine for celebrity fat club. Yes, it's much better than him hitting the bottle, though I suspect even hitting a bottle would be beyond him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:02 am

Being top of the bill and the media fan fare wasn't ideal but I just don't think its right to give him so much stick when he did give it his all. I would be first in line if he was there to play at being a boxer after 2 weeks in a gym and then had an amateur style fight with head guards but he did take it seriously. Sure he wasn't very good but it was the best he could give.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:29 am

Let's be fair, Freddie looked as comfortable in that ring as you would nursing a boner in a church. But as it's been said, credit to him for trying and putting so much into it.

I couldn't see him forging a career out of it anyway, let's be fair, he's famed for liking a beer for a reason - losing the weight must have been torture!

Credit to him though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 21 Dec 2012, 7:40 am

Like others have said if he does retire it is probably the right decision, at 34 the career was never likely to go too far. However as others have alluded to I have nothing but unerring respect for the man for trying this. He does not appear to be skint or short of work but seems to have done this out of a genuine love of the sport and desire to test himself, it takes guts and commitment and for that he should be applauded.

However as someone said at the time how sad is it that a former cricketer manages to enter the ring in better shape than many of those who we class as contenders currently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:35 am

Haha - DP's comment of "nursing a boner in church"!

That said, Freddy had a better career than Sven Ottké.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 21 Dec 2012, 8:36 am

He does get an unfair ride from a lot of people, I listened to Spencer Fearon on the Ringside podcast and all his criticsm was aimed at Flintoff. People are forgetting Dawson who turned up like a sumo wrestler, and threw naff all for four rounds.

The atmosphere got to Freddie, watching him spar and his punches where decent and he stopped a few sparring partners, but with the crowd behind him I think he got to anxious hence why he was as wild as he was. A smaller fight on the undercard, with nobody watching him and I believe he would have but on a better showing.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:11 am

Maybe hampo, I didn't watch any of the background stuff, you'd kind of hope a test match cricketer could handle the pressure, but out of his comfort zone, different circumstances, a different type of pressure etc.

I hate the celebrity obsessed culture in our society. Pr companies fighting to get their d list muppet up to c list, by appearing on celebrity wind breaking. The only time I'll take interest is when they bring out 'I'm a celebrity, smack my vacuous self important needy little head in with a baseball bat'. Which, come to think if it, isn't a bad idea for a show.

Anyway rant over, I've no beef with freddy, just what this type of show represents. When you put yourself in the limelight out of choice, you are at the mercy of the great unwashed... If you're happy to take the plaudits when you're good, then you have to take the flak when you're not. So I for one, wish him well in his retirement, but would be happy for him to disappear from my tv screen and take his dreadful clothing range for fat ugly people with him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:23 am

In all fairness Milky while I share your contempt for such things think Flintoff is a slightly different situation, not sure his public profile is so in need of a boost that he needs to do anything desperate, he is still a popular guy and making good money one would imagine and even if he did feel he needed the publicity I am not sure he would find bookings on strictly, that jungle thing or big brother particularly hard to come by or unprofitable affairs, all of these represent a damned sight easier way to boost the bank balance and keep yourself in the public eye than six months of hard training and then getting punched in the face.

Am willing to believe this was just a desire to try his hand at a sport he enjoyed on Freddie’s part, it’s Christmas lets be charitable about this.

And don't diss Jacamo, those of us of a fuller figure have been a silent minority for far too long.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:25 am

milkyboy wrote:Maybe hampo, I didn't watch any of the background stuff, you'd kind of hope a test match cricketer could handle the pressure, but out of his comfort zone, different circumstances, a different type of pressure etc.

I hate the celebrity obsessed culture in our society. Pr companies fighting to get their d list muppet up to c list, by appearing on celebrity wind breaking. The only time I'll take interest is when they bring out 'I'm a celebrity, smack my vacuous self important needy little head in with a baseball bat'. Which, come to think if it, isn't a bad idea for a show.

Anyway rant over, I've no beef with freddy, just what this type of show represents. When you put yourself in the limelight out of choice, you are at the mercy of the great unwashed... If you're happy to take the plaudits when you're good, then you have to take the flak when you're not. So I for one, wish him well in his retirement, but would be happy for him to disappear from my tv screen and take his dreadful clothing range for fat ugly people with him.

Your wifes been purchasing that range for you hasnt she?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:28 am

How did you guess?....Think she's trying to tell me something?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:29 am

milkyboy wrote:Maybe hampo, I didn't watch any of the background stuff, you'd kind of hope a test match cricketer could handle the pressure, but out of his comfort zone, different circumstances, a different type of pressure etc.

I get the clothes for fat people, but clothes for ugly people? LOL! Well done, that made me laugh Smile

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:32 am

milkyboy wrote:How did you guess?....Think she's trying to tell me something?

We were under the impression that you already knew.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 10:38 am

All of that is probably true rowley, especially your fuller figure. I do think he genuinely wanted to give it a go, but if you put yourself out there and your level is Brian Sutherland, then you have to face the music. Like you say it's Christmas, ill be charitable and give my Christmas jacomo sweater to a homeless person... If they'll take it

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:12 am

Small Time wrote:

I get the clothes for fat people, but clothes for ugly people? LOL! Well done, that made me laugh Smile

Just an assumption I've made on their target demographic, based on the adverts. Big baggy clothes to hide beer gut = fat people. Bland styling = blend into the background, don't draw attention to yourself... Ugly!

There's a big market out there... But if the adverts said 'Jacomo, for fat ugly blokes' no one would buy them , because it re-inforces their insecurities. Far better to show an advert of fat ugly blokes looking like they're confident and having a good time in their finest jacomo.

So there's milky sat on my sofa, tucking into my third plate of chips, feeling a bit miserable and lacking in self worth. I see Freddie and his supersize me buddies on the telly in their Jacomo looking just like me but full of life and confidence. 'that could be me, if only i had a wardrobe of Jacomo' I think as I reach for the tablet to blow my savings. I'm too lazy and lacking in confidence to go to a shop.

Just a little insight into the world through the eyes of advertising agencies. And sincerest apologies to brand loyal Jacomo lovers out there. You may not be fat and ugly, the bland styling is probably targeting boring people as well Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:16 am

ShahenshahG wrote:
milkyboy wrote:How did you guess?....Think she's trying to tell me something?

We were under the impression that you already knew.

No shah, Like most people of my age shah, I look in the mirror and see the babe magnet I thought I was (in my own little dream world) in my twenties... Despite all the blatantly obvious evidence to the contrary.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

Brilliant

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:20 am

By default fat people are ugly. I don't think I've seen an exception, but happy to be proven wrong.

I quite like Freddy as a human, but his boxing skills are awful. He wouldn't win on some of the local shows I attend.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:By default fat people are ugly. I don't think I've seen an exception, but happy to be proven wrong.

I quite like Freddy as a human, but his boxing skills are awful. He wouldn't win on some of the local shows I attend.

Come on jack, some of those fat munters you've pulled down The bigg market looked beautiful the night before... after 10 pints and a few jaeger bombs.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:30 am

Dawn French.....I'm not having she was ugly.....just very very fat.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:35 am

News flash: Small time in big lady fetish admission.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

Dawn French.....I'm not having she was ugly.....just very very fat.

If she was taller she wouldn't looks so fat...don't get me wrong, even if she was six foot tall she'd still look massive...just not as massive as she does these days.

Lenny Henry may be sleeping in a Premier Inn but at least he doesn't have to stump up extra cash for a bigger bed. Cheeky cow that Dawn French, after they got married she decided she couldn't be bothered staying slim (she lost about five stone for their wedding) so she got fatter by the hour AND to make herself feel better about, decided to fatten up Lenny so she wouldn't look so gross on any pictures that appeared in the tabloids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:37 am

Especially in the one where she's a woman of the cloth (albeit more cloth than most) Smile

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:39 am

DAVE667 wrote:Dawn French.....I'm not having she was ugly.....just very very fat.

If she was taller she wouldn't looks so fat...don't get me wrong, even if she was six foot tall she'd still look massive...just not as massive as she does these days.

Lenny Henry may be sleeping in a Premier Inn but at least he doesn't have to stump up extra cash for a bigger bed. Cheeky cow that Dawn French, after they got married she decided she couldn't be bothered staying slim (she lost about five stone for their wedding) so she got fatter by the hour AND to make herself feel better about, decided to fatten up Lenny so she wouldn't look so gross on any pictures that appeared in the tabloids.

And as a result the world lost Theophilus P Wildebeeste to obesity Sad

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 11:42 am

He just became Theophilus P Wildebeeste and chips with a side order of onion rings, two buttered teacakes (low fat spread of course) and a diet coke "cos I'm trying to watch me weight!"

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:00 pm

Tsk, tsk, you lot, such politically incorrect fattists you all are.

Somehow, I'm picturing LJ and Dave as a pair stand-up comedians from the Bernard Manning/Roy Chubby Brown era. You know: "Take my wife....someone, please. Now, I wouldn't say my wife is fat, but the only way she can get out of the kitchen is if I grease the sides of the door and put a cake on the other side."

BOOM-TISH!

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:04 pm

Steady on now, with my bald head I'd be more Mick Miller than Bernard Manning.

I draw the line at being Kenny Lynch though (famous only for playing golf with Jimmy Tarbuck)

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:08 pm

Didn't Kenny also sing the immortal "Up on the Roof", Dave? Where someone had thrown him for crimes against entertainment, no doubt.

Mick Miller...my God, another blast from the past marked "terminally unfunny". The 70s really were God's gift to minimally talented comedians, weren't they?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:13 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:Didn't Kenny also sing the immortal "Up on the Roof", Dave? Where someone had thrown him for crimes against entertainment, no doubt.

Mick Miller...my God, another blast from the past marked "terminally unfunny". The 70s really were God's gift to minimally talented comedians, weren't they?

Or evolutions gift to the perpetually high

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:14 pm

...luckily cannon and ball came along and upped the ante

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

Maybe it's me but I still like his "drunk children's story teller reading Noddy on the radio" skit.

Those old ITV dvd's, "the very best of the comedians" are now used as recruitment films for the EDL.

Cannon and Ball, Little and Large, Les Dennis and Dustin Gee (the funny one of the two) Cheese and Onion (anyone remember them?)....eeeh, great times!

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:22 pm

You can't forget the Chuckle Brothers or Lennie Bennett and his even less talented sidekick, whose name, I fear, escapes me, or, indeed, anyone who ever appeared on Russ Abbot's Madhouse.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 12:40 pm

can't forget yes, but have been trying to until someone reminded me!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:06 pm

Just me who likes the Chuckle Brothers?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:10 pm

Paul and Barrie. To me, to you. To you, to me.

Yep, just you bellchees.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:17 pm

I love chuckle brothers. I'd still watch it now if they released new shows.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 1:51 pm

It's to be hoped they aren't involved in the Saviulle sex case. No one wants to see THAt sex tape, "To you, to me, to you...."

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:10 pm

bellchees wrote:Nothing wrong with Flintoff having a go at boxing, he dedicated himself entirely to it which should be the minimum requirement but it seems to be something that not all fighters do. Much prefer that to the fat git in the other corner who was supposed to be a Pro but clearly wasn't in shape and was even worse than the former cricketer taking up the sport for a few months in his mid thirties.

Recently saw one of our heavyweight prospects Dillian Whyte fight a massive useless fat bum with a record of 3-24-4. How come Flintoff gets more stick than these professional tomato cans who Flintoff would beat despite taking up the sport for less than a year.

Bums are paid to lose. These guys with 3-24-4 records wouldn't get any work if they started beating up prospects.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:15 pm

If any "prospect" got beat by someone like that then they should look for a new job as boxing is not for them.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:19 pm

Watch out next year as Tom Daley takes up MMA and adds his own particular "twist" to the spinning backfist.

Mo Farah competes in the Javelin...Fatima Whitbred hurls him over 50 metres.

Also....Beth Tweddle takes up Equestrianism...watch as she is riden by Jessica Ennis Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

I wouldn't mind betting that the pro that was drafted in to fight Freddy was given strict instructions to lose or get his purse reduced.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Dec 2012, 2:21 pm

Given his purse was more than likely a KFC bargain bucket...it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed.

Freddie to return next year and take on James Toney!

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:03 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Given his purse was more than likely a KFC bargain bucket...it wouldn't surprise me if he agreed.

Freddie to return next year and take on James Toney!

Yes, Imagine his horror when the one token punch he does throw floors Freddie... No wonder he didn't throw another one. The fear of wasting away must have paralysed him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

laughing

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:24 pm

milkyboy wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:By default fat people are ugly. I don't think I've seen an exception, but happy to be proven wrong.

Come on jack, some of those fat munters you've pulled down The bigg market looked beautiful the night before... after 10 pints and a few jaeger bombs.

Big market.... Pfffft.

Anyway, I am a one woman man and have been for a number of years. My bird on the other hand isn't, if Tina is to believed.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:

My bird on the other hand isn't, if Tina is to believed.

I told you mate, its the orange skin and cellulite. I can't keep away.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Dec 2012, 3:57 pm

Do jack.... Your bird isn't a one woman man? Anything you want to tell us about your bird? Have we uncovered the facade of your homophobia? Wink or is it merely an innocent little ladyboy fetish you're going through?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next