The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time"

+4
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
hazharrison
8 posters

Go down

Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time" Empty Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time"

Post by hazharrison Thu 27 Dec 2012, 2:32 pm

Stumbled across this this morning:

http://www.boxing.com/the_15_greatest_composite_punchers_of_all_time.html

Thoroughly entertaining read.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time" Empty Re: Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time"

Post by hazharrison Thu 27 Dec 2012, 2:37 pm

“The baddest motherf***** I fought was Earnie Shavers. That motherf***** can make July into June and made me jump over the motherf*****’ moon. Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*** into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow! When he hit me, I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I thought I was in the corner smoking a cigarette and eating a spam sandwich. That’s how hard that motherf***** hit.”

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time" Empty Re: Fascinating Article "15 Greatest Composite Punchers Of All Time"

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 27 Dec 2012, 2:47 pm

hazharrison wrote:“The baddest motherf***** I fought was Earnie Shavers. That motherf***** can make July into June and made me jump over the motherf*****’ moon. Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*** into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow! When he hit me, I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I thought I was in the corner smoking a cigarette and eating a spam sandwich. That’s how hard that motherf***** hit.”

Love it!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 27 Dec 2012, 3:08 pm

Think it's my favourite quote of all time!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 3:13 pm

Great article, Haz. Thanks for sharing.

Very hard to argue with the names they've come up with there. I could argue the case for Carlos Zarate in particular to make the fifteen, as well as Jimmy Wilde, Felix Trinidad, Ike Williams and so on, but what name out of the ones included could you really be one hundred percent comfortable taking out in order to make room for those men?

Robinson maybe a touch too high at number two, as I think his ability to soak it up and his legs played a bigger part in his success than they did for other names in the top five, but no real complaints from me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 3:22 pm

Tyson was a cyborg—sent from the future to show us how Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey should have done it.

Wow, high praise indeed.

(to put it in context, this is not a Tyson fan-boy just a summation of what he could be at his best, having already discussed his weaknesses).

Great article Haz, thanks for posting.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 27 Dec 2012, 4:06 pm

Fantastic article, Haz. That's made an afternoon at work much more bearable.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 27 Dec 2012, 4:27 pm

superflyweight wrote:Fantastic article, Haz. That's made an afternoon at work much more bearable.

Haha tell me about it Superfly. Had to come in to 'work' today for no reason. Got in 10.30, worked 2 hrs followed by a 2hr lunch, worked another 2 hours and now I'm going home!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Thu 27 Dec 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm not really sure what's fascinating about it other than you can swap "composite punchers" for "punchers" and pretty much get the same list.

In my admitedly sparse knowledge of Julian Jackson for example I saw him as more of a one punch KO artist and the same for Bob Foster and Earnie Shavers. Who'd all make the same list if it were just "punchers" I'm sure.

Tyson on the other hand was definitely a fine composite puncher. In as much he brutalised his opponents body and head and didn't often spark out guys with one punch despite being more than capable of doing so. He more brutalised them all, each punch having a damaging effect until the guy could take no more. Despite being sparked in one round, Spinks was "composite" punched into oblivion. He was shaken up first then bombed when he tried to fight back. Yeah Tyson should be top of the list for me in terms of composite punching.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 27 Dec 2012, 6:11 pm

Bit harsh to label Foster in the same way as Shavers and Jackson who would be the two I think make this merely a list of power punchers rather than those comprising excellent technique. Arguello deserves to be far higher up the list than he is, the archetypal technically proficient boxer puncher.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 28 Dec 2012, 11:33 pm

Very enjoyable read. I thought Ray Robinson looked a bit high up as well.

Other than that spot on and definitely no argument with the No.1, a no brainer.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down