The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

V2 Greatest of All Time Awards

+41
kwinigolfer
Hoggy_Bear
Diggers
CaledonianCraig
McLaren
Gordy
paperbag_puncher
captain carrantuohil
Corporalhumblebucket
Bull
djlovesyou
Imperial Ghosty
JuliusHMarx
Adam D
ShahenshahG
LuvSports!
Hibbz
MIG
theslosty
Afro
Spaghetti-Hans
6oldenbhoy
Samo
ChequeredJersey
Good Golly I'm Olly
The Special Juan
Mad for Chelsea
CJB
Gregers
dummy_half
guildfordbat
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
88Chris05
Stella
super_realist
Fists of Fury
User 774433
Shelsey93
Dolphin Ziggler
Hero
MtotheC
45 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

V2 Greatest of All Time Awards - Page 2 Empty V2 Greatest of All Time Awards

Post by MtotheC Wed 02 Jan 2013, 8:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages V2 proudly presents its inaugural greatest of all time awards, the competition pits 64 titans of sporting history against each other in a world cup style event. With Giants from the worlds of Golf, Boxing, Football, Cricket, track and field, tennis and many more this competition will prove who really is the greatest of all time!

Forget the Jules Rimet, the Ryder Cup, Wimbledon, the World Heavyweight Title or even Olympic Gold this is the one they all want and it’s up to you who takes the title. The competition starts with the group stages, 16 groups consisting of 4 competitors with the top two progressing from each round, the next stage goes straight into a knockout format pitting the final 32 in one on one contest, all the way to the final where V2’s G.O.A.T will be crowned.

The 64 competitors have been chosen by the admin and moderator team and will be drawn randomly into the 16 groups.
It’s really easy for you to get involved and have your say, simply vote for the sporting great that you believe deserves your vote in each group/round based on their achievements, medals, honours, skills, personality etc. etc. it’s all down to personal preference, however what we do ask is that you leave a comment as to why you voted and tell us exactly why your chosen participant deserves your vote and progress to the next round.

Voting for each poll starts in the morning and ends at midnight so you have one day to cast your vote before the next poll starts the following day.

The participants will be revealed each day when the group is posted up and the tournament will run between Mondays-Fridays.
There’s going to be lots of ways to get involved on the site and on twitter, we will be looking for posters to champion some of the participants come the later stages and promote their competitor to the rest of the site, so make your posts throughout the tournament interesting, opinionated and thought provoking and you may be asked to champion a finalist.

The competition will begin on Monday 7th January so make sure your online and ready to debate on who gets your vote and progresses on the road to become V2’s Greatest of All Time.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

V2 Greatest of All Time Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: V2 Greatest of All Time Awards

Post by MtotheC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 3:32 pm

So far I have got 12 competitors with a champion spread across 7 posters, who I will inbox tonight after work with details.

We need more champions though so please sign up below!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

V2 Greatest of All Time Awards - Page 2 Empty Re: V2 Greatest of All Time Awards

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

I'd love to rowing, rugby or running!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

Do you only enjoy the R sports? Laugh

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

Ha!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 03 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

No spot for wrestling? I appreciate that because its pre-determined it cant be classed as 'sport' but you cant deny the guys' atheltic abilities. They're greater showmen and athletes than Golfers and Darts players anyway.

If it is because of the pre-determined results then thats fair enough, was just curious.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 7:49 pm

Samo wrote:No spot for wrestling? I appreciate that because its pre-determined it cant be classed as 'sport' but you cant deny the guys' atheltic abilities. They're greater showmen and athletes than Golfers and Darts players anyway.

If it is because of the pre-determined results then thats fair enough, was just curious.

The pre-determined nature of wrestling makes it hard to compare its stars against men and women from other sports, mainly for that reason wrestlers were left out.

We do have the WWC though so wrestling still gets a run out!

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 8:29 pm

Still looking for champions to tout on behalf on the GOAT entrants this consists of writing a small article to promote and argue why their competitor should progress and be considered the greatest of all time and generally fighting your person’s corner on their match days.

Sports up for grabs are

Boxing
Tennis
Football
American Football
Golf
F1
Athletics
Rugby

We're not looking for war and peace just a compelling argument; comment here and I’ll inbox you with details.

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

I could try to do a boxing one. Not back to work til monday so hopefully could fit it in. Do we pick our own participants or do you select people for us? When is the submission date?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 9:35 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:I could try to do a boxing one. Not back to work til monday so hopefully could fit it in. Do we pick our own participants or do you select people for us? When is the submission date?

I'll PM you the details in the morning

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:21 pm

Football is my thing so I'm happy to volunteer!

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:Football is my thing so I'm happy to volunteer!

I knew I could count on you Mr Wilkinson, PM to follow shortly

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:43 pm

Boxing, athletics and tennis for me, mate. If you're struggling to get write ups for anyone left in those categories then I don't mind lending a hand.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 03 Jan 2013, 11:51 pm

I can do Rafael Nadal, if he is included.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:32 am

The Main Event Lads will take the honor of Championing....

The Fortunate One - Roger Federer.

Every man, woman and child ever to have set cyberfoot on the internet knows that there is no person or group more capable of carrying out such a task than Spaghetti Hans (formerly known as TME).

It's fitting since we are, after all, the self-ordained Godparents to Federer's daughters, Myla and Charlene.

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:42 am

Just make sure the following are all included:

Joe Montana, Wayne Gretzky, Babe Ruth, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Lebron James, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Kobe Bryant and Jacques Kallis.

With 64 entrants, there's no excuse for any of the above not being included.

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:46 am

No Jerry Rice?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

Stella wrote:No Jerry Rice?

Are you interested in writing an American football piece then?

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:58 am

Yes, of course. Thank you for pointing out our glaring omission. We had a feeling we had left someone out.

We were just making sure the American Leagues were fairly represented by pointing out those notable American candidates who may have been overlooked - with the exception of MJ who would never be overlooked - due to their sports not being highly visible in the UK.

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 9:59 am

MtotheC wrote:

Are you interested in writing an American football piece then?

NO

I'll leave that to Spaghetti Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaghetti-Hans Fri 04 Jan 2013, 10:09 am

It Must Be Love wrote:I can do Rafael Nadal, if he is included.

We look forward to reading this dossier.

Spaghetti-Hans

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:14 am

Spaghetti-Hans wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:I can do Rafael Nadal, if he is included.

We look forward to reading this dossier.
OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:16 am

How could you make a case for Nadal being the GOAT? He's not even the GOAT of tennis. Makes no sense at all.

As for all those American sportsmen. Almost impossible to make a convincing argument for any of them. If you're talking GOAT, 64 is far too many to consider, about 16 would be an absolute maximum.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:18 am

Of course he's the GOAT.
Don't be ludicrous.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:19 am

I'd not have Nadal in my top 3 in men's tennis, never mind all tennis. Each to their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

I'd even rate Don Bradman over Nadal, and I hate the cucumber munching, slack wearing, , lean on your bat, run away from the rain game of Cricket, because at least he's the top of his sport. Nadal's not even close to that, so don't be surprised when he doesn't feature at the end.
If you are going to run a GOAT event, what's the point in including a player that's not the best player a sport has to offer? It's retarded.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

I think it's to encourage debate, listen to the opinions of others, and show that there are plenty of names out there worthy of consideration, even if they're not in the elite section of sporting legend.

The guy I'm writing about I don't expect to get very far in the voting, but he is by far and away the best sportsman ever, in my opinion. I'd be surprised it he gets out of the first round to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Of course he's the GOAT.
Don't be ludicrous.

You've got a lot of convincing to do mate Very Happy
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

Of course he's the best player the sports had to offer. OK

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

UNless you use French Open wins as a measure I can't think of a single legitimate way in which anyone could say Nadal is the best ever tennis player.
If it was a competition about which tennis player looks most like a Capybara then yes, Nadal would win.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:28 am

He's really, really not. But I look forward to reading your case Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

a.k.a arguing that black is white.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:33 am

I can do the American Football one if its not already taken.

Does it only have to be one put forward? If so it's got to be Joe Montana
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I think it's to encourage debate, listen to the opinions of others, and show that there are plenty of names out there worthy of consideration, even if they're not in the elite section of sporting legend.

The guy I'm writing about I don't expect to get very far in the voting, but he is by far and away the best sportsman ever, in my opinion. I'd be surprised it he gets out of the first round to be honest.

Big Cyrille then Laugh

Assuming you are doing Ice Hockey, then it has to Gretzky?
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

I love how we're debating the names of the 64 when we don't even know them yet...really brings us all together!

Any idea of when the 64 will be announced?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:37 am

BigFellasAfro wrote:
Azzy Mahmood wrote:I think it's to encourage debate, listen to the opinions of others, and show that there are plenty of names out there worthy of consideration, even if they're not in the elite section of sporting legend.

Big Cyrille then Laugh

Assuming you are doing Ice Hockey, then it has to Gretzky?
I am making zero comment on names, nice try Affers Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:40 am

Well if you are doing Ice Hockey, then it's a fairly obvious choice I think.

Only Orr and Lemieux get even remotely close and even then it is still well off Gretzky
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:42 am

Actually for American Football in 2010 he was voted the best all time by the NFL and the fans.

But of course this season his record for receiving yards was broken.

There are so many people it could be for the NFL!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Ah, the debate. No room for Martin Brodeur Jafro?

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Olly wrote:I can do the American Football one if its not already taken.

Does it only have to be one put forward? If so it's got to be Joe Montana

Sent you a PM Olly

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Back to my question, any idea of when the 64 names will be announced?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:45 am

Got it MtotheC

I'll start writing it this afternoon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

Azzy Mahmood wrote:I love how we're debating the names of the 64 when we don't even know them yet...really brings us all together!

Any idea of when the 64 will be announced?

The 64 wont technically be announced, the participants will be revealed each day as the groups go up, some of you will have a slight inside track though if you are a GOAT champion

MtotheC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:46 am

The 64 is pretty much confirmed in house, there's a few cusp people though that we are deciding between, one of the issues is the whole modern era thing. Whilst sports legends rightfully deserve to be treated on a equal platform (although some will argue the case the modern game is harder etc or vice versa) would a comparable star from the 1920s be as popular as his modern day equal counterpart and create discussion and debate?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:51 am

Tom Brady should be in there just for his wife. How he pulled her I'll never know!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 11:55 am

I can't imagine how long you've been deciding this then, that's quite a job! Cool idea though, it promises to be very interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

Olly wrote:Tom Brady should be in there just for his wife. How he pulled her I'll never know!

He's Tom Brady. It makes it a lot easier to get girls when you are the poster boy of the NFL
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:05 pm

Just reading up on Montana's stats on some of them are pretty incredible, especially his Super Bowl ones!

Looking forward to writing this piece
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:09 pm

Olly wrote:Just reading up on Montana's stats on some of them are pretty incredible, especially his Super Bowl ones!

Looking forward to writing this piece

Montana was the main man when I watched Gridiron but I was more of a Marino fan.

For me though, Rice is the greatest player in NFL history, although with different positions, it's hard to tell.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:10 pm

Dan Marino, the guy who made Ace Ventura the Pet Detective he is today notworthy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 04 Jan 2013, 12:11 pm

Yeah, he was in that wasn't he.

He's no Al Pacino for sure Smile
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next