The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

+78
t1000advancedprototype
overlordofthewest
Josiah Maiestas
2ndtimeround
ScarletSpiderman
senghenydd1913
thomh
GloriousEmpire
TJ1
BlueNote
Glas a du
sickofwendy
bedfordwelsh
MacKnocked-on
wales606
whocares
blackcanelion
100%beefy
lostinwales
Ospreydragon
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
Thomond
TrailApe
Chjw131
Pal Joey
beshocked
nathan
Brian Moores Twin
Pot Hale
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
RuggerRadge2611
quangut
glamorganalun
nobbled
sirBiggles
HammerofThunor
Sugarlump
Scarpia
Jimpy
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Effervescing Elephant
tatterd
dragonbreath
Morgannwg
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gregortree
cabbagesandbrussels
mystiroakey
disneychilly
Cyril
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Standulstermen
thebluesmancometh
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
Hound_of_Harrow
emack2
englandglory4ever
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
AlastairW
Barney McGrew did it
offload
Taylorman
Geordie
RuggerBoy
mr_stonelea
GunsGerms
Duty281
82 posters

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 5 Empty The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
Winston Churchill

In just over 4 weeks, Stuart Lancaster's England will start their quest for Grand Slam glory. It has to be said that this is England's best chance since 2003 for a Grand Slam. Really, for the Northern Hemisphere's biggest Rugby nation not to have clinched a Grand Slam for 10 years is a poor return. That will surely change on the 16th March.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.”
Winston Churchill

This amount of optimism stems from a hugely encouraging 2012 for the English rugby team. 4 wins out of 5 in last year's Six Nations with a fairly new team, then a character-building tour to South Africa, running South Africa and Australia close at the home of Rugby, before ending the year by beating the World Champions and running in 3 tries against them. 2013 will be the year that it all comes together for England.

"The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm."
Alexander Woollcott

2013 for England will start with a game home to Scotland. Unless there's a downpour, Scotland have little hope. Expect England to rack up 25+ points and a multitude of tries against inferior opposition.

"Let not England forget her precedence of teaching nations how to live."
John Milton

Then, away to Ireland. Often, the Irish are seen as a bogey team for England but let's be rational. England are better in every department as they proved in 2012. I'll be looking for a very very good result from England in this game.

"You must hate a Frenchman as you do the devil."
Lord Nelson

The third game will be the biggest of the lot. Home to the French at Twickenham. Beaten by England in Paris in 2012, France will be beaten by England in London in 2013. No mistake though, this game will be the toughest challenge that England will face in the 2013 Six Nations. I expect England to just about edge out the French.

"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers."
William Shakespeare

On the 10th March, England will be on the home straight. Home to Italy, mere cannon fodder against the mighty mighty England. 4 wins out of 4, Grand Slam in sight.

"Ever the faith endures, England, my England."
W.E. Henley

The crowning glory will be against England's little brother, Wales. No doubt they'll be up for this game, they love a game against their bigger brother and the chance to upset the odds. What is it Wales, 7 losses out of 7 since last year's Grand Slam? After a tough 20 minutes, England's superiority and class will show. Grand Slam clinched.

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.”
Winston Churchill

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:21 pm

Scarpia wrote:I thought I'd gone to a rugby message board but I seem to have dropped in on an episode of "Quote ,,,,,, Unquote"

We're only here coz we've all been banned from the Netball boards. Drool
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:26 pm

dont listen to elephant he used to be on the flower arranging boards..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

Laugh
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 4:52 pm

mystiroakey wrote:yeah your right view when england play its allways about the other team.. Engalnd never ever have a say in anything. We won the RWC because other teams messed up

You won the world cup nine years ago with a fantastic team of experience players, since then you've done very little except one six nations when all the teams were poor and you were thrashed by Ireland. Scotland have beaten Australia twice and South Africa once recently yet they aren't suddenly world beaters. Clinging on to a success that occurred nearly a decade ago is desperate.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 22 Jan 2013, 5:58 pm

jeas that one was so long ago i forgot that i wrote it!

It was just a sarachastic comment back to view pal- dont worry about it to much

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

123456789 wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:yeah your right view when england play its allways about the other team.. Engalnd never ever have a say in anything. We won the RWC because other teams messed up

You won the world cup nine years ago with a fantastic team of experience players, since then you've done very little except one six nations when all the teams were poor and you were thrashed by Ireland. Scotland have beaten Australia twice and South Africa once recently yet they aren't suddenly world beaters. Clinging on to a success that occurred nearly a decade ago is desperate.

Although since England are the only nation from the Northern Hemisphere to win the Rugby World Cup, maybe it isn't desperate after all?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:23 am

England have won a World Cup? When was that? I'm surprised no one's mentioned it before now.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:34 am

Shall we have a rule were we cant talk aboutthe history of our teams then..

Well maybe we can talk about the last game.. that is still relevant surely Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:46 am

I was only kidding, Mysti. The 2003 World Cup win is the trump card of any England fan, we all know that, but some of you play it too early in an argument.

I'm actually excited to see whether England can kick on from the win over the All Blacks.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

awwww..

I know you was laddie..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:36 pm

123456789 wrote:

Probably because they havent done it with any degree of regularity, unlike England.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:28 pm

uhhm, some news for you gimpy,

the only time England beat the SH with any regularity was 2001-2003, in the build up to that RWC

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:31 pm

Sorry, I forgot, Scotland are the cream of the NH crop aren't they. How careless of me to make such a mistake...

picard

I think that despite Scotland's isolated successes, England's when playing the same teams, has been slightly less isolated.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:33 pm

That's ok - it takes a big man to apologise Hug

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

tatterd wrote:That's ok - it takes a big man to apologise Hug

You're welcome Tittered.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:40 pm

fair do's gimps, I didn't see that one coming!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:41 pm

tatterd wrote:fair do's gimps, I didn't see that one coming!

Why am I not in the least bit suprised? Rolling Eyes

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:43 pm

So the injuries are piling up for England. Tom Johnson and Calum Clarke have both been ruled out of the Six Nations. Freddie Burns and Alex Corbisiero are doubtful for the first two games. Tuilagi may not be fit enough to play the Scots. Not the best omens with only 9 days till the opener!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:50 pm

Duty281 wrote:So the injuries are piling up for England. Tom Johnson and Calum Clarke have both been ruled out of the Six Nations. Freddie Burns and Alex Corbisiero are doubtful for the first two games. Tuilagi may not be fit enough to play the Scots. Not the best omens with only 9 days till the opener!

It all ways seems to happen 2/3 weeks before some thing like the 6ns we England start to get hit by injuries.

England had a great team for the last game of the Ais, the team starting to click, the centres playing some fine running rugby, and now these injuries come along. Its like throwing a big spanner in the works. furious

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 4:55 pm

not worried about all that- its a squad game and i think we have a squad capable..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Wed 23 Jan 2013, 5:14 pm

I worry about Corbs, didn't Brian Smith say he's got some sort of degenerative knee condition?? Not great for anyone but especially when you're near 19st!

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:30 pm

Depressingly (from a Welsh point of view) even with these injuries the England squad looks impressive. Try having our injuries coupled with our (non existent) strength in depth. And yes, I am getting my excuses in early Very Happy

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed 23 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

Tattrd, fair enough mon, we all do it. rose I agree we seem to have some depth for a change.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

tatterd wrote:Depressingly (from a Welsh point of view) even with these injuries the England squad looks impressive. Try having our injuries coupled with our (non existent) strength in depth. And yes, I am getting my excuses in early Very Happy

We've had it plenty of times. One game we were down to our 9th choice tighthead (Duncan Bell and PDJ). Usually get told to stop whining Very Happy

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Wed 23 Jan 2013, 7:58 pm

awwwwwwww - but I like whining!!

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:06 pm

123456789 wrote:

'Numbers' is on the money here.
clap
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:10 pm

Remember when nottins watched Wales win the Sevens Rugby World Cup in Dubai? Apparently it was the worst game of Sevens rugby he had watched.

#devalued.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
123456789 wrote:

'Numbers' is on the money here.
clap

Numbers watch yourself- mogs will be asking to borrow that money of ya soon.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm

7 pounds!
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:53 pm

aye....

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:41 am

Can we have a definitive timescale for how long we, as rugby fans, are allowed to crow about a victory? Is it until the next game? One year? 5 years sounds about right?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:52 am

Effervescing Elephant wrote:Can we have a definitive timescale for how long we, as rugby fans, are allowed to crow about a victory? Is it until the next game? One year? 5 years sounds about right?

Till Wales next win a game seems fair

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 8:59 am

I'd say you can crow until the next time you're beaten by the side you beat. That seems about right.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:22 am

But surely, like ranking points, a world cup should count double? Very Happy Wink
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:23 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I'd say you can crow until the next time you're beaten by the side you beat. That seems about right.

When is the next Wales v Tonga match?.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:32 am

I think you mean Samoa. If you're going to WUM, at least do your homework.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:35 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I think you mean Samoa. If you're going to WUM, at least do your homework.

Smile

That was far too easy...

I actually meant Fiji.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:37 am

I don't many Welshmen are crowing about our last win over Fiji. Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I don't many Welshmen are crowing about our last win over Fiji. Headscratch

Blimey, you mean Wales reversed their losing streak?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:24 am

Sugarlump wrote:I worry about Corbs, didn't Brian Smith say he's got some sort of degenerative knee condition?? Not great for anyone but especially when you're near 19st!
Corbs actually came out and said it was definitely not degenerative (I think I read it in the Times). He said he didn't know why Smith had come out with that. Hopefully he (Corbs) is right!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:31 am

Effervescing Elephant wrote:But surely, like ranking points, a world cup should count double? Very Happy Wink

Nice one.

Of course there's been 2 world cups held since 2003 now, so that would be bragging rights expired Wink

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:37 am

That's easy for a Kiwi to say.... now.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:40 am

gregortree wrote:That's easy for a Kiwi to say.... now.

I know Very Happy Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

Pete
Enjoy ! It will a while before NZ host another RWC, so I guess current rights will expire in London 2015.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

Pete thumbsup Very Happy
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugarlump Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Sugarlump wrote:I worry about Corbs, didn't Brian Smith say he's got some sort of degenerative knee condition?? Not great for anyone but especially when you're near 19st!
Corbs actually came out and said it was definitely not degenerative (I think I read it in the Times). He said he didn't know why Smith had come out with that. Hopefully he (Corbs) is right!

Agreed. He's shown not just potential but slotted into international rugby straight away. I rate Marler too, I love his pantomime villian caricature thing that seems to wind everyone up (as long he can keep his head himself!) but Corbs would be sad loss to English rugby, I wonder if Smith's comments were some sort shadiness to scupper any planned transfer? idea

Sugarlump

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21192314

Tom Wood has said that England must win everything for this Six Nations to be considered a success. Brace yourselves my fellow Englishmen, the media are starting to whisper those dreaded two words:

England Expects.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:20 pm

Too late, the marker is laid down now:

"Success for us would be winning everything. The end goal is the World Cup, but we're not a team that's happy to lose between now and 2015 as long as we win the World Cup."
rose
No defeats, no surrender, that is the benchmark.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:21 pm

Duty281 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21192314

Tom Wood has said that England must win everything for this Six Nations to be considered a success. Brace yourselves my fellow Englishmen, the media are starting to whisper those dreaded two words:

England Expects.

Read it, yet another hack job by that flake Fordyce in which the title has absolutley nothing to do with the interview with Wood....... again. I really do detest British media.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 25 Jan 2013, 1:27 pm

Sugarlump wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:

Agreed. He's shown not just potential but slotted into international rugby straight away. I rate Marler too, I love his pantomime villian caricature thing that seems to wind everyone up (as long he can keep his head himself!) but Corbs would be sad loss to English rugby, I wonder if Smith's comments were some sort shadiness to scupper any planned transfer? idea

Most likely just a misuse of the word degenerative. He probably meant it had built up over time.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 15  Next