The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

+78
t1000advancedprototype
overlordofthewest
Josiah Maiestas
2ndtimeround
ScarletSpiderman
senghenydd1913
thomh
GloriousEmpire
TJ1
BlueNote
Glas a du
sickofwendy
bedfordwelsh
MacKnocked-on
wales606
whocares
blackcanelion
100%beefy
lostinwales
Ospreydragon
Taffineastbourne
Portnoy's Complaint
Thomond
TrailApe
Chjw131
Pal Joey
beshocked
nathan
Brian Moores Twin
Pot Hale
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
RuggerRadge2611
quangut
glamorganalun
nobbled
sirBiggles
HammerofThunor
Sugarlump
Scarpia
Jimpy
Breadvan
majesticimperialman
Effervescing Elephant
tatterd
dragonbreath
Morgannwg
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Luckless Pedestrian
RubyGuby
gregortree
cabbagesandbrussels
mystiroakey
disneychilly
Cyril
doctor_grey
yappysnap
Standulstermen
thebluesmancometh
rainbow-warrior
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
Hound_of_Harrow
emack2
englandglory4ever
G2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Biltong
AlastairW
Barney McGrew did it
offload
Taylorman
Geordie
RuggerBoy
mr_stonelea
GunsGerms
Duty281
82 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 7 Empty The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Duty281 Fri 04 Jan 2013, 3:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

“It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
Winston Churchill

In just over 4 weeks, Stuart Lancaster's England will start their quest for Grand Slam glory. It has to be said that this is England's best chance since 2003 for a Grand Slam. Really, for the Northern Hemisphere's biggest Rugby nation not to have clinched a Grand Slam for 10 years is a poor return. That will surely change on the 16th March.

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.”
Winston Churchill

This amount of optimism stems from a hugely encouraging 2012 for the English rugby team. 4 wins out of 5 in last year's Six Nations with a fairly new team, then a character-building tour to South Africa, running South Africa and Australia close at the home of Rugby, before ending the year by beating the World Champions and running in 3 tries against them. 2013 will be the year that it all comes together for England.

"The English have an extraordinary ability for flying into a great calm."
Alexander Woollcott

2013 for England will start with a game home to Scotland. Unless there's a downpour, Scotland have little hope. Expect England to rack up 25+ points and a multitude of tries against inferior opposition.

"Let not England forget her precedence of teaching nations how to live."
John Milton

Then, away to Ireland. Often, the Irish are seen as a bogey team for England but let's be rational. England are better in every department as they proved in 2012. I'll be looking for a very very good result from England in this game.

"You must hate a Frenchman as you do the devil."
Lord Nelson

The third game will be the biggest of the lot. Home to the French at Twickenham. Beaten by England in Paris in 2012, France will be beaten by England in London in 2013. No mistake though, this game will be the toughest challenge that England will face in the 2013 Six Nations. I expect England to just about edge out the French.

"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers."
William Shakespeare

On the 10th March, England will be on the home straight. Home to Italy, mere cannon fodder against the mighty mighty England. 4 wins out of 4, Grand Slam in sight.

"Ever the faith endures, England, my England."
W.E. Henley

The crowning glory will be against England's little brother, Wales. No doubt they'll be up for this game, they love a game against their bigger brother and the chance to upset the odds. What is it Wales, 7 losses out of 7 since last year's Grand Slam? After a tough 20 minutes, England's superiority and class will show. Grand Slam clinched.

“You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word. It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.”
Winston Churchill

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by nathan Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

GunsGerms wrote:My observations on England:

-Forwards outstanding, backs average.
-Englands forwards were exceptional at the breakdown.
-Englands backs play like they are playing rugby league, bash bash bash. Very little creativity.
-With Farrell kicking well England are very good at keeping scoreboard ticking by fishing for pens at setpiece and at the breakdown.
Wasnt impressed by Brown, 12 3s looked good though.
-England have the two best 9's in the 6N.
-Robshaw is growing into his role

How to beat England:

-Be ultra competitive at the breakdown, Scotland were not, They chose to defend out wide instead. Ireland will be distroyed if they do this.
-Effective choke tackling. Should be easy v England cause of their direct style in the backs.
-Pressure Farrell. He has an old head on his shoulders but Sexton is a ferocious tackler and needs to let him know things are different at Landsdowne.
-Beat the sh1t out of them. This might sound crass and is most certainly easier said than done but, manic agression is generally how Ireland triumph over England.
-Be crafty. This England team will unquestionably come to Dublin with some sneeky tricks up their slieves. It is going to be a battle of wits as much as anything else.

There will be at least 5 tries in this match.

Lol, what utter tosh. You need to open your eyes mate.

nathan

Back to top Go down

The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Official *England to Grand Slam Glory 2013* Thread

Post by Guest Sun 03 Feb 2013, 5:57 pm

Some of the comments on this thread make for great entertainment. Such confidence, and right after Italy beating France Very Happy
Roll on Ireland v England..

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

England have so many options up their sleeve particularly on the bench that even a reserve set of players can beat teams like Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy.

Are you planning on entering the WUM Of The Six Nations Competition 2013?

You're starting well. Good entry.

What a dumb armchair fan that only watches the odd international game. England's reserve team can't even beat Scotland A.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm

nathan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:My observations on England:

-Forwards outstanding, backs average.
-Englands forwards were exceptional at the breakdown.
-Englands backs play like they are playing rugby league, bash bash bash. Very little creativity.
-With Farrell kicking well England are very good at keeping scoreboard ticking by fishing for pens at setpiece and at the breakdown.
Wasnt impressed by Brown, 12 3s looked good though.
-England have the two best 9's in the 6N.
-Robshaw is growing into his role

How to beat England:

-Be ultra competitive at the breakdown, Scotland were not, They chose to defend out wide instead. Ireland will be distroyed if they do this.
-Effective choke tackling. Should be easy v England cause of their direct style in the backs.
-Pressure Farrell. He has an old head on his shoulders but Sexton is a ferocious tackler and needs to let him know things are different at Landsdowne.
-Beat the sh1t out of them. This might sound crass and is most certainly easier said than done but, manic agression is generally how Ireland triumph over England.
-Be crafty. This England team will unquestionably come to Dublin with some sneeky tricks up their slieves. It is going to be a battle of wits as much as anything else.

There will be at least 5 tries in this match.

Lol, what utter tosh. You need to open your eyes mate.

Care to expand on that? Maybe Telfer was right, about some fans anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:16 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

England have so many options up their sleeve particularly on the bench that even a reserve set of players can beat teams like Wales, Ireland, Scotland and Italy.

What a dumb armchair fan that only watches the odd international game. England's reserve team can't even beat Scotland A.

Bitter!

The Saxon game was played in horrendous conditions, Scotland got the early advantage and held out with only 13 on the pitch at one point, deserved winners in any true rugby fans book surely.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

Brian Moores Twin wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Bitter!

The Saxon game was played in horrendous conditions, Scotland got the early advantage and held out with 13 on the pitch at one point, deserved winners in any true rugby fans book surely.

The term bitter is clearly aimed at the wrong person. What am I bitter about exactly? I'm certainly not bitter about England winning and especially as they were my favourites for the tournament before Italy's win today.

Stop ruing the conditions. If it's not the ref it's those damned conditions again. And as for the rest of what you said, yes exactly my point. You've contradicted yourself.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:21 pm

Belittling Scotland A's win just to mock England.

True fans don't need to do that.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:23 pm

Brian gotta be honest- i dont think he belittled anything tbh..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Yes you are right Morgannwg. Just like the Wales national team cannot beat the Ireland national team, AT HOME IN CARDIFF. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:28 pm

maj, what has the Wales/Ireland fixture got to do with any of this or anything I've said? What does it have to do with England's bid for Grand Slam glory? Somebody claimed that England's reserves could beat Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The reserves, being the Saxons, can't even beat Scotland A. This is a fact that shows your reserves aren't as good as whoever thinks they are that good.

Telfer was right about some of you eh. Shame he didn't add in moronic with the arrogant tag. Telfer's going to be the next PM with thinking like that.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:29 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Brian gotta be honest- i dont think he belittled anything tbh..

I hope he wasn't oakey, but I fail to see what he has to gain from knocking armchair rugby fans.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:30 pm

Brian Moores Twin wrote:Belittling Scotland A's win just to mock England.

True fans don't need to do that.

There was no belittling from me (which is clear to anyone with brain cells) and there is nothing I can belittle. They've played less rugby than the Saxons and still convincingly beat you in consecutive fixtures.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

Morgannwg wrote:maj, what has the Wales/Ireland fixture got to do with any of this or anything I've said? What does it have to do with England's bid for Grand Slam glory? Somebody claimed that England's reserves could beat Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The reserves, being the Saxons, can't even beat Scotland A. This is a fact that shows your reserves aren't as good as whoever thinks they are that good.

Telfer was right about some of you eh. Shame he didn't add in moronic with the arrogant tag. Telfer's going to be the next PM with thinking like that.

Not if McSalmon gets his way, England will be ruled by the conservatoffs for ever with all "you lot" living in your nationalist communes. Scotland and Wales will elect new zealanders as presidents then whinge when they continue to fail.

We might be arrogant morons, but at least we arent ranked below Italy. Cut loose of the all the chaff who knows what england could acheive? maybe even negotiate a contract with Nike that doesnt involve wearing purple.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

What a lovely character you are.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:42 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:maj, what has the Wales/Ireland fixture got to do with any of this or anything I've said? What does it have to do with England's bid for Grand Slam glory? Somebody claimed that England's reserves could beat Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The reserves, being the Saxons, can't even beat Scotland A. This is a fact that shows your reserves aren't as good as whoever thinks they are that good.

Not if McSalmon gets his way, England will be ruled by the conservatoffs for ever with all "you lot" living in your nationalist communes. Scotland and Wales will elect new zealanders as presidents then whinge when they continue to fail.

We might be arrogant morons, but at least we arent ranked below Italy. Cut loose of the all the chaff who knows what england could acheive? maybe even negotiate a contract with Nike that doesnt involve wearing purple.

No not all of you. There's been realism from the majority of you, even since the NZ win.

BTW I see the serial complainer that can't handle the truth has been crying again. I always knew it was you pswdivvy. Now to get back on topic, yeah England reserves aren't that good. You'd need your best available team to be in with a shout of winning the 6 Nations. Good luck to my adopted second team.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:46 pm

england have a lot of depth... our bench is as strong as our first team..

Clearly the saxons havent shown great form.. But england do have depth.. and alot of competition for places..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:48 pm

Saying people have no brain cells and calling them moronic could be seen as being slightly offensive, I guess some of us will always have the moral high ground over others.

Roll on next weekend, I look forward to chatting and enjoy the company of true rugby fans like the Irish on this site.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

laughing

Brilliant put down. clap

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

Move along please ..to the special dedicated 'bickering' thread if you want to bicker.

This thread is supposed to be about the rugby and 2013 grand slam glory... so
mainly for England and Ireland fans after this weekend. And Italian fans, although they don't show up much on 606.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Sun 03 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

Thats also a fair point Gregortree.
I guess some people had better weekends from others. thumbsup

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 03 Feb 2013, 8:03 pm

Brian Moores Twin wrote:Thats also a fair point Gregortree.
I guess some people had better weekends from others. thumbsup
thumbsup I had a great weekend in Brighton & London, with a dash to the pub in Clapham in between, to watch the England game, before going to a concert at Shepherds Bush Empire.
Thoroughly knackered now in a good way.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:00 am

Morgannwg wrote:

No not all of you. There's been realism from the majority of you, even since the NZ win.

BTW I see the serial complainer that can't handle the truth has been crying again. I always knew it was you pswdivvy. Now to get back on topic, yeah England reserves aren't that good. You'd need your best available team to be in with a shout of winning the 6 Nations. Good luck to my adopted second team.

Did you enjoy your good pumping at the weekend son? I know I did.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:32 am

When talking about England for grandslam glory let's not forget about the ladies!

76-0 vs Scotland women.

That's despite missing 17 of their best players. Scary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21308065

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:30 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Doesn't really matter when the 1st XV can tonk the Scotland 1st XV though does it?

How did Wales get on?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:35 am

beshocked wrote:When talking about England for grandslam glory let's not forget about the ladies!

76-0 vs Scotland women.

Gosh...second 76 nil score an England womens teams been involved in..scary alright.
Run

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

Someone mention "76"? Very Happy

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:43 am

not me LB... Rolling Eyes

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

Linebreaker wrote:Someone mention "76"? Very Happy

Don't remind me of the tour from hell!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

Your "101" against Italy looks even better now Taylor.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:35 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:

Did you enjoy your good pumping at the weekend son? I know I did.

Pumping? Is that some gimp term for letting one go up where you're from? Erm
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Doesn't really matter when the 1st XV can tonk the Scotland 1st XV though does it?

How did Wales get on?

England sure did tonk Scotland. But some arrogant fan made a claim about Englands reserves being able to do the same. I just merely pointed out that they can't. So what's your problem?

There are a few threads discussing Wales I think. Why don't you go and discuss it there. We're discussing England here.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

Jimpy you let yourself down with those types of comments!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

Brian Moores Twin, that's HERSH reincarnate isn't it?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:57 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Brian Moores Twin, that's HERSH reincarnate isn't it?
Dunno Morg. If you are missing him that badly, you can chat with HERSH over on the BBC site, rugby, he sometimes posts on there, in his original uid / name.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:21 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21327566

Tuilagi is fit for Sunday, let English rejoicing commence. The selectors have a headache now, Barritt or Twelvetrees? Admittedly, it's a nice headache to have.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:33 pm

Manu has to start ahead of 36.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Mon 04 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm

Has to be 36 & Tuilagi for me.
Barritt can come on later if we need to defend a lead.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 05 Feb 2013, 9:11 am

Morgannwg wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

How did Wales get on?

England sure did tonk Scotland. But some arrogant fan made a claim about Englands reserves being able to do the same. I just merely pointed out that they can't. So what's your problem?

There are a few threads discussing Wales I think. Why don't you go and discuss it there. We're discussing England here.

Oh don't worry about that, i've been on the Welsh threads, as many Welsh were on the English threads prior to the weekend's humiliations. I know it hurts, I know you're all upset, but please, do try to get over it, you've a lot more pain to come.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 05 Feb 2013, 9:34 am

So if you're English, I'd recommend having a look at these over the next few days:

Ireland-England 2003, we know how it can be done!
We dominated Ireland just last year
Maybe England are starting to enter a Second Golden Era?

"And England can do this...is moving towards England will do this!"
Miles Harrison

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

Jimpy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Jimpy wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

How did Wales get on?

Oh don't worry about that, i've been on the Welsh threads, as many Welsh were on the English threads prior to the weekend's humiliations. I know it hurts, I know you're all upset, but please, do try to get over it, you've a lot more pain to come.

You're just a complete tool pal. Grow up.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:17 am

C'mon lads.

Please put the wumming tools back in their proper place in the shed!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

Linebreaker wrote:C'mon lads.

Please put the wumming tools back in their proper place in the shed!

I will, after i've stopped laughing at the unbelievable irony of Morgan's last comment.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:40 am

Duty I love your optimism but I do worry about Ireland. They have a decent record against us and seem to up their game against us.

Ireland away is generally the toughest game in the 6 nations for us. If we can get a win I think a GS would definitely be on the cards.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:41 am

I must say, having seen what England did to Scotland on Saturday the GS is theirs to lose.

Their physicality was insane and their rush defence was ferocious.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:43 am

As much I think england have to respect Ireland. And possibly even try and play the way we did first half v NZ.

I am also not 100% about france and wales.. I think both are gonna be tough games..

I have BAcked an england gs and i think the price i got at 8/1 was brilliant value.. especially after the NZ win

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Tue 05 Feb 2013, 11:50 am

Morgannwg - Jimpy - please can you pop over to the bickering thread? It's getting far too reasonable over there.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Tue 05 Feb 2013, 1:41 pm

beshocked wrote:When talking about England for grandslam glory let's not forget about the ladies!

76-0 vs Scotland women.

clap

Indeed well done to the ladies and let's not forget the U20's beating a very good Scotland side in Plymouth.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue 05 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

It was dissapointing that the Saxons lost at Kingston Park though. Although the weather was poor, the Saxons appeared to have no plan B and their Plan A wasn't suited to the conditions.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Tue 05 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

It was dissapointing that the Saxons lost at Kingston Park though

Disapointing is not quite what I felt.

I was there!

Frostbite and trench foot comes into it somewhere though.

Beer was good - Ruckin' Mole from Wiltshire - good brew lads.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 05 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

England Stick with Winning Formula

By the looks of it, still no place in the matchday squad for Foden. Erm And it also doesn't seem like Morgan will be fit for Sunday, surely that will mean Wood at 8 and Haskell in at 6.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next