The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute

+6
Imperial Ghosty
TheMackemMawler
ShahenshahG
Seanusarrilius
milkyboy
davidemore
10 posters

Go down

So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute Empty So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:30 pm

I know i am going to sound like a nut hugger but i really respect what Hearn is doing for British boxing.

He is making big fights for his stable at the right time. He is signing up Olympians while they are viable to the casual fan and keeping them in the limelight with regular fights. He is pushing his fighters on, not, keeping them back by giving them irregular fights or sub-par opposition. He is negotiating decent pay days and world title shots with no clauses, by getting them to a mandatory position.

Look at Gavin Rees. The man is a British, European and World Champ. He doesn't want to be dropping down in level now. Plus, he is getting a career high payday, sources say around 150 grand, to fight on HBO. A new audience, that, even if he loses will enjoy his style if he is as scrappy and aggressive as usual. All those fans saying, "he'll get mauled" don't understand why Eddie put him in with Broner. Yes, he on paper, should lose. But, it wont be the end of him if he loses with grace. Not if he goes in and troubles Broner for a few rounds, puts up an aggressive fight, forces Broner to show a new skillset, adapt, and therefore showcases himself.

A great, well timed match-up by Hearn IMO. Look at Burns ducking. And Burns has a great chance to upset Broner IMO. I fear Burns may end up fighting cans like Nathan. Let's hope not.

Then we have Bellew. He is now fighting for an eliminator to face Chad Dawson. A fight that will have no clauses and get him a career high purse. Also, there's potential it could be in the UK as Dawson has no fan base and Bellew does. Ten-fifteen thousand will be there if he gets the WBC shot on Sky Sports.

Carl Froch and Kell Brook have soared under Hearn, no need to go into detail there. Just look at what they have achieved in such a short time.

What i love to see through, is how he is bleeding in the younger generation. Eddie Hearn knows that young fighters need to stay busy in order to stay focused and improve. He is doing that, he is also putting all his fighters in to fights that aren't in their comfort zone. Kell Brook fought in the states for example, Scotty Cardle, Yafai and many others have fought on huge bills shown across the world. Brilliant stuff. Also, he gets foreign fighters in to face them, and therefore different styles. These stars of the future have something to get out of bed for. Hearn realizes how key this time of their career is, and invests in it knowing in time it will come back ten fold.

Side-note: I'd like to see Scott Cardle move over to Rob Mac and train under him with some of the other Olympians and Carl.

If Hearn keeps this up then British boxing can and will soar to new heights in 2013. Could this be the year we see the return of PPV in the UK, Sky Sports style? I hope so.

I only wish Billie Joe Saunders was with Matchroom. And Groves. I fear for those two under Warren.

Thoughts?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute Empty Re: So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:37 pm

You sound like a nuthugger.

But I do agree that so far Hearn is doing a good job

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute Empty Re: So Much Respect For Eddie Hearn at the Minute

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Cheers milkyboy.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm

When was the last time UK boxing was so hot? Yonks ago.

We forget Hearn got Barker in with Martinez too. So many great fights have been made by him.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:53 pm

milkyboy wrote:You sound like a nuthugger.

hate the term nuthugger. Such a Boxingscene term

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
milkyboy wrote:You sound like a nuthugger.

hate the term nuthugger. Such a Boxingscene term

True. Should be termed snugglebutt

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Back to topic please. I've given my heart to this thing of ours.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

If you're as promoter and have a fighter who's in his 30's and done what he's going to do (and earned what he is going to earn) then it makes perfect business sense to make the big pay day, and why not? It's not as if he's a prospect protecting an zero.

When it comes to Brook, what has Hearn done for brook? Brook has had almost 30 fights, other than squeeze every penny out of him before the TEST? If he were under any other promoter he would be long over due a title shot.

Froch, backed by McCracken under any other promoter would have had the same glittering career (a who's who of SMW's), this part down to the duo's unwavering desire to fight the best, and part down to entering the super six.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Brook hasn't been with Hearn that long Mackem, Warren stunted a lot of his progress and since his switch he's really pushed on towards a title fight. Not the fault of the Hearns that Warren did his usual thing of protecting his fighters.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Brook sells out arenas. When Warren had him he was fat and fighting in the backroom of pubs. He is fighting on Sky, he fought abroad, he has fought five times in 18 months. He is fighting for a world title. What more do you want at 26?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:If you're as promoter and have a fighter who's in his 30's and done what he's going to do (and earned what he is going to earn) then it makes perfect business sense to make the big pay day, and why not? It's not as if he's a prospect protecting an zero.

When it comes to Brook, what has Hearn done for brook? Brook has had almost 30 fights, other than squeeze every penny out of him before the TEST? If he were under any other promoter he would be long over due a title shot.

Froch, backed by McCracken under any other promoter would have had the same glittering career (a who's who of SMW's), this part down to the duo's unwavering desire to fight the best, and part down to entering the super six.

Ah, our young Rookie of 2012. Allow me to echo echo echo Imperial's comments.

Brook has not been with Hearn long and he has already staged a big domestic dust-up for Brook that sold out 10,000 and a test against Carson Jones. NOw he has a World Title shot. Not bad I'd say.

He was fighting in leisure centre's under Warren

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm

I didn't realise, my mistake.

Even so though... even if he was still with Warren I'd expect him in a title fight at the 30 fight mark.

Brook getting a big fight might have less to do with his current promoter and more to do with his age and experience and the fact he's ready? Maybe it's only incidental and the fight would have happened irrespective of his promotional ties.

Last edited by TheMackemMawler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:55 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:I didn't realise, my mistake. Even so though, even if he was still with Warren, I'd expect him in a title fight at the 30 fight mark.

Brook getting a big fight might have less to do with his current promoter and more to do with his age and experience and the fact he's ready? Maybe it's only incidental, and the fight would have happened irrespective of his promotional ties.

you have redeemed yourself somewhat here. Somewhat! thumbsup

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm

I think Warren would have been gunning for Malignaggi were he still Brooks promoter.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Mack is having a mare so we must spare him.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 pm

In time that is a great fight.

Paulie vs Brook in a unification fight would be epic. There's two very winnable fights right there.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

Epic in what way? Seeing Malignaggi taking a beating for the 10/11 rounds he lasts?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Paulie would be a good name for Brook.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm

He went down the route of Alexander via mandatory, but you could well argue the smarter fight would have been Paulie if he could have made it. An easier fight and a better known fighter in the uk. If brook loses to Alexander, we might be questioning how good a job Hearn has done for brook... Eg Should he have got him some better tests first, or plotted a route to the weaker WBA belt.

To be fair, given belt holders have a habit of changing, who you target may not necessarily be who the holder is by the time you get to them. Certainly bailey would have seemed more appetising than Alexander.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:43 pm

If he loses to Alexander it's only Brook to blame, not Hearn. Eddie's done right by him, now he has to take a step back and let Kell do that talking - in the ring!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 pm

davidemore wrote:
Look at Burns ducking.

Is that fair?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
davidemore wrote:
Look at Burns ducking.

Is that fair?

There's an outside shout, just in relation to Broner, but I think Burns has been matched quite fairly since. Problem is, a bit like Fury ditching the belts when Price became his mandatory, whatever the reason and however valid, doing something like moving up a weight when a dangerous oppoenet becomes your mandatory is always going to whiff of a duck.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:37 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:I didn't realise, my mistake.

Even so though... even if he was still with Warren I'd expect him in a title fight at the 30 fight mark.

Brook getting a big fight might have less to do with his current promoter and more to do with his age and experience and the fact he's ready? Maybe it's only incidental and the fight would have happened irrespective of his promotional ties.
Brook was offered and turned down a shot at Bradley. I personally think he should have jumped at that. I think Hearn has been a good promoter in general, but for me that was a slip. If brook beats Alexander, he's still a low profile Brit with a trinket stateside. If he beat Bradley he could call out Floyd, Pac, Marquez etc. So for me brook is still in the slow lane. Chances are if he beats Alexander (which is far from a given), I expect a soft home coming fight instead of pushing on for another big American fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:22 pm

Bradley vs Brook in America would not have sold.

If possible Bradley beating Pac hurt him more than it did help.

He doesn't sell and it would have been on Tim's terms.

Would love to see Brook Pac if he beats Devon. Brook would smash him now.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Hmmm... Confident prediction davide based on brook beating err nobody yet.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Skill set Milky, you'll see, Brook has it. I also think Jones nearly beasting him helped heart wise.

And Burns did duck Broner, Illgabou.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:48 pm

As a fan I like the job he's doing.....But as for having so much respect etc.....

I know the types and they are mainly arm twisting bully types.........

Whilst I do work for people in these circles I generally find them vain, egotists who'll step on people who get in the way!! (Maybe he's an exception!)

As I said I like the job he's doing as a fan..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Good TRUSS, so do I.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down