The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How They Earn: Where it Flows From

+5
TRUSSMAN66
OasisBFC
eddyfightfan
seanmichaels
davidemore
9 posters

Go down

How They Earn: Where it Flows From  Empty How They Earn: Where it Flows From

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 am

Now, I'm pretty up on the sport.

I have a solid understanding of many of the intricacies of boxing, both inside and outside of the ring. I love to watch the fights, talk on them, study them and get insight from wide and variable sources. I'm a boxing fan. Like you guys.

However, one area i am keen to learn more about is the facets that make up the boxers fee.

I would love a breakdown: a 1-12 (like boxing), round by round account of the most important parts of the process.

We all know about sponsors, sanctioning fees, PPV, gate revenue etc. But how does it all unfold, from beginning to end?

How do promoters project the earn in order to guarantee a boxers fee?

If number 1 on the list was matching two fighters, let's say, very popular fighters for a world title, what would be the next 11 most important steps in order to make the most money out of it?

Also, who does a fighter pay and who does a promoter pay? coach, promoter, nutrition, etc.

Who pays for all that stuff?

This is a big ask but i would love some statistical and financial insight from you guys.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

How They Earn: Where it Flows From  Empty Re: How They Earn: Where it Flows From

Post by seanmichaels Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:52 am

And who pays for the PEDs or are they in a package deal with the nutrionist?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

How They Earn: Where it Flows From  Empty Re: How They Earn: Where it Flows From

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 pm

Lol @ Sean!

Someone please delete that comment.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 pm

i have no idea of the complete process, even purse bids baffle mean at times, i also think lawyers, accountants, promoters and anybody else with a vested interest do there best to hide, play down and disguise where the money goes and comes from, for tax reasons and to maximise profits. id be very suprised if they were transparent in their true dealing to anybody but themselfs.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 pm

i know im not answering the question but very few fighters, even british title level fighters make a good living as a full time pro.

john murray has just had a year out after his world title bout and then had to work digging up roads over christmas. he failed a medial and couldnt fight rees so couldnt get paid.

boxers aren't on a wage, they don't fight they don't get paid.
2 fights a year and they're scraping the barrel.

those who operate at british and possibly even euro level need to think of a retirement plan because they'll retire at 35 and then have nothing.

even froch wasn't earning big numbers as wbc champ. and didn't clinton woods work part time as a roofer or something for a bit of extra cash?

after what happened to Farrell, it makes you think - who the hell would want to be a pro? it's definitely not for fame and money, chances are they'll never come, even if you're pretty successful.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Strangely enough it's the journeymen that make a really good living from the sport.....

Most tend to work in the public sector and regularly pick up £200 here and £400 here for spoiling for four rounds against a novice or cross-roads fighter!!!

No surprise about Murray........By the time he has paid tax probably fighting four times a year he's lucky If he's cleared £20k net..

Only big money at world level and then it depends on your appeal!!

The journeymen...they tend to be the smart ones..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:27 pm

TRUSS, come on now.

You're being silly.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Journeymen fight more regularly and tend to have steady employment....hence they can increase their earnings and don't have to worry about stepping up in class...A lot are self managed.

Imagine they get backhanders too for stepping in late to save a promotion..

You'll be surprised what a guy can make on the side..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Truss is spot on - 350 a fight and 8-10 fights a month if you dont get cut or hurt = 3-3500 a month about 36 k with time enough to keep up a second job. Then theres bonuses for last minute step ins, lasting the distance etc etc. A well schooled journeyman with little ambition is a promoters wet dream - you can match em up with anyone knowing that they wont go for the kill but your fighter will get vital experience

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

No one fights 8-10 a month. Surely?

Even Sugar Ray struggled to do that.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:13 pm

And he fought back when everyone fought every damn week.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

When its your meal ticket - you fight as often as you can. Usually under a couple of different names in a couple of different towns. Easy money.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:When its your meal ticket - you fight as often as you can. Usually under a couple of different names in a couple of different towns. Easy money.

I'd say that is more of an older trick than something that happens often now, I'd really hope they're a bitter tighter on the rules than that these days.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:08 pm

Desperation to earn is not a better deal for a fighter.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 pm

"Desperation to earn"?????????

What are you talking about...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:21 am

I can't really answer your question, but one thing i would say is that people often assume that fighters earn a lot more than they do. Obviously, the real big names can earn millions per fight, and even just top Britiish fighters can earn significant amounts if the PPV figures stack up, but some of the very best British fighters who go abroad will often only be getting paid a few thousand pounds.

I don't know how much truth there is to the story, but i read somewhere recently that Kendall Holt and Lamont Peterson are splitting a $50k purse for the upcoming fight. In real money, that would be just over £23k for Peterson, and about £7.5k for Holt. After taxes, which could be as much as 50% depending on their cumulative earnings, a promoter's cut (the top ones charge up to 40%, but at that level, you're probably talking 25%), paying their trainer(s), people for sparring, travel and hotel costs, possibly for a nutritionalist, etc, i wouldn't be surprised if Holt earned nothing at all, Peterson would possibly be left with just a couple of thousand dollars, though both would have money from sponsors to top that up.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:07 am

The boxers that fight every week, according to you. They must be desperate for coin.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Only big money at world level and then it depends on your appeal!!

Yep, a lot of fighters - unless at the top level - have to hold down a day job. And all but the cream of the crop will have to find a regular job after they retire from the ring.

It's sad in a way, but not exclusive to boxing.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Not desperate.....savvy....

Learn to spoil..work on your defence...stay at a lower level ...and pick up the bucks..

and then put the money away.......

Read about a journeyman who owns several properties in London.....

Bruce Strauss was a millionnaire in America also..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Exception not the rule TRUSS. The most telling letter in that post was 'a'. Singular experience that was fortunate for the journeyman.

Look, i respect these cans. In some ways they have genuine ring smarts, as they have longevity and never get brutally KO'd. So respect to them. Still, it is a desperate art form, the hang on and get whacked style of boxing.

Born to lose these journeyman. Born to be losers.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Exception not the rule...

How the hell do you know!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Give me more examples TRUSS.

No?

Thought not.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down