The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should lee byrne start for wales?

+16
Casartelli
wales606
thebluesmancometh
Cyril
majesticimperialman
GunsGerms
Driver
fa0019
maestegmafia
A World Cup and 3 Finals
Breadvan
BlueNote
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Pot Noodle Miner
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

should lee byrne start for wales? - Page 2 Empty should lee byrne start for wales?

Post by Pot Noodle Miner Tue 22 Jan 2013, 1:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

I have heard a couple of pundits claim that he is the form full back in europe and should be the #1 contender for the lions 15 shirt, if this is the case then he should surely be starting against ireland as we all know when hes on top of his game hes arguably the best full-back in the world, the problem would then be does halfpenny play on the wing or do we stick with north and cuthbert? Personally id go with north, HP and byrne but then again cuthbert seems to be our most deadly try-scorer, who does everyone else want to see start for wales in the back 3?
Pot Noodle Miner
Pot Noodle Miner

Back to top Go down

should lee byrne start for wales? - Page 2 Empty Re: should lee byrne start for wales?

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:01 am

He's had some great games at outside half for Wales, but they're a fair few years ago now. I think Dan Biggar has to get the nod.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

should lee byrne start for wales? - Page 2 Empty Re: should lee byrne start for wales?

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:11 am

LP,

Thats been his problem though and why he hasn't nailed down a slot its consistency.

I know he has been messed about by Region and Wales in past with moving him here there and everywhere and maybe now he has a regular 10 shirt its paying dividends but I think Biggar deserves his shot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

The other factor is that if Howley wants us playing the same gameplan as we've played under Gatland - long kicks with a good chase and putting pressure on the opposition in their own half - then Biggar's the best fit for that. I don't think we'll be given much licence to attack from deep.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

Biggar almost certain to start at 10 and he'll do a tidy job.

If we did pick Hook, though, every single player in our back line would pose an individual threat to pretty much any defence. Given our kicking game tactics, he's also worth playing as he bombs it further than any other 10. Him and Byrney in the same side again - the opposition would be constantly running it back from their own 22, rather than halfway.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:19 am

I don't mind which of the three filial backs gets selected as they are all good players in different ways.

Halfpenny has to be in there somewhere for his goal kicking though.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:20 am

Casartelli wrote:Biggar almost certain to start at 10 and he'll do a tidy job.

If we did pick Hook, though, every single player in our back line would pose an individual threat to pretty much any defence. Given our kicking game tactics, he's also worth playing as he bombs it further than any other 10. Him and Byrney in the same side again - the opposition would be constantly running it back from their own 22, rather than halfway.

We need all the help we can get.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:33 am

maestegmafia wrote:

Makes you nostalgic for the late, great, Bill McLaren. Would have been something to hear him waxing lyrical over Hooky's Howitzer and Byrney's cultured left siege gun of a boot.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:43 am

maestegmafia wrote:The negative is that he is not going to play at the next rugby World Cup and we could be further blooding one of two very good fullbacks Liam Williams or Leigh Halfpenny.
You're obsessed with 'blooding' players and bringing in youth all the time. When your best players are injured you always turn this around as a 'great opportunity to bring in youth...!' It's mental. You're never going to make progress that way. The future will never come!

Since when are Wales 'blooding' Halfpenny? He's played loads of games at full back now.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:36 am

Casartelli wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Makes you nostalgic for the late, great, Bill McLaren. Would have been something to hear him waxing lyrical over Hooky's Howitzer and Byrney's cultured left siege gun of a boot.

Definitely..!

Halfpenny slippery like an octopuss, George north like a rampaging bull on the wing, the young james king leaping like a salmon in the line out...!

My favourite Maclaren phrase was always, "glorious play by Wales there"..! Heard many, many time

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:59 am

"My favourite Maclaren phrase was always, "glorious play by Wales there"..! Heard many, many time"

Not often during the 1980s though!

I liked his off the cuff ad-libs too. Described one kicker's (think it might have been Craig Chalmers) technique as 'giving it a little ting-tong and then...pooofff.' Genius.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

In the eighties, particularly mid to late it was regular enough. Jonathon Davies was a favourite of his.

The ninties were far worse...!

Mind you considering that all the players MacLaren congratulated went to rugby league in the late eighties, if old Bill had of switched codes too we would have heard it far more often.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:08 pm

Just remembered - McLaren also inspired a spoof caller to a radio phone in (before this sort of thing was frowned upon), doing a perfect impersonation and pretending to be the great man himself;

'...Will Carling photographed with Princess Diana after the Calcutta Cup match. Looks like he spent most of the weekend trying to drive his mighty pack into the royal twenty-two...'

But I'm going off topic, maybe I'll start a pre-6N Bill McLaren thread in honour of the legendary fella.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Jan 2013, 2:23 pm

Casartelli wrote:Just remembered - McLaren also inspired a spoof caller to a radio phone in (before this sort of thing was frowned upon), doing a perfect impersonation and pretending to be the great man himself;

'...Will Carling photographed with Princess Diana after the Calcutta Cup match. Looks like he spent most of the weekend trying to drive his mighty pack into the royal twenty-two...'

But I'm going off topic, maybe I'll start a pre-6N Bill McLaren thread in honour of the legendary fella.

Don't remember that one but I think a bill tribute thread would be great.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:15 am

Does anyone really think that Howley has the balls, imagination or coaching nous to even contemplate changing anything not forced by injury.

Complete waste of time. If I were Edwards and was told I had to report to Howley or McBride come to that, I would be on the phone to my agent and looking for a job immediately

WRU ??????????????????

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:35 am

Howley should never have been put in this position in the first place. In what sport do you end up with your national team going in to defend a major international tournament with a "coach" who has never coached any professional team - It's insane and it draining the confidence of the players and the fans. furious

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

Even if the WRU weren't happy with Howley being interim head coach, they wouldn't say anything for fear of upsetting Gatland. He could have left his wife in charge for the Six Nations and they wouldn't say anything.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:45 am

RubyGuby wrote:Howley should never have been put in this position in the first place. In what sport do you end up with your national team going in to defend a major international tournament with a "coach" who has never coached any professional team - It's insane and it draining the confidence of the players and the fans. furious

England coaches never have experience. It works for them.

You lads get so riled up over the coach for little reason. Even only certain players are culpable. It is the effort of a team and the coaches...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

England coaches never have experience. It works for them.

Really - the last time I looked theyd won 1 6 nations in 10 years - Martin Johnson's reign doesn't exactly support that theory and the smart Lancaster has got plenty of coaching nouse. Incomparable with Howley - The WRU should not have allowed this and should have got someone with experience and stature - Howleys presence and lack of coaching nous and experience is severely handicapping us thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

dragonbreath wrote:Does anyone really think that Howley has the balls, imagination or coaching nous to even contemplate changing anything not forced by injury.

Complete waste of time. If I were Edwards and was told I had to report to Howley or McBride come to that, I would be on the phone to my agent and looking for a job immediately

WRU ??????????????????

Here here, I really am dreading this years 6 Nations if we don't get off for to a good start next weekend then I honestly think we will be battling it out for the spoon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:Does anyone really think that Howley has the balls, imagination or coaching nous to even contemplate changing anything not forced by injury.

WRU ??????????????????

Here here, I really am dreading this years 6 Nations if we don't get off for to a good start next weekend then I honestly think we will be battling it out for the spoon.

You were all saying the exact same thing prior to the RWC...! Gatland was to blame then... No its Howley, Priestland, Mark Jones...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

Maes,

I have never slated Gatland and always thought he was right man for the job and still do.

I have always voiced my doubts in Howley even when first appointed and nothing he has done since has made me change my view.

As for Priestland I do feel sorry for him as it was Howleys blind insistence on picking him when he was so clearly out of form that damaged him further.

International test rugby isn't the place to try and regain form or play yourself back into form, he should have been sent back to his Region and regained it away from the glare of the AIs.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 25 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

Bedford my post was intended for the masses of welsh contributors not just yourself.

I think in the slumps out perifereral opinion becomes shortened to a few issues rather than looking grandly at the larger picture.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2