The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Qatar Masters

+14
Faldono1fan
Skydriver
HiGun
Bob_the_Job
Seve_The_Great
super_realist
Roller_Coaster
incontinentia
SmithersJones
themightyone
pedro
dynamark
kwinigolfer
princedracula
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

European Tour - Qatar Masters Empty European Tour - Qatar Masters

Post by princedracula Tue 22 Jan - 16:27

What would you prefer to see more at the moment? A duel between #1&2 or one between #4&5? After last week's 1&2 fiasco, I know what I would like to watch... It was great to read the two articles on the European Tour website on the two top contenders at the Qatar Masters, Rose and Oosthuizen, and to hear both of them feeling really confident and having the #1 spot in the world very much in their minds (as well as in their sights) as a future goal. If you want to find the two top players in the world who are also in peak form at the moment, you probably won't have to look further then these two. Let's just hope they won't disappoint this week...Don't forget: this will have an early start... begins tomorrow and ends Saturday!

The Qatar Masters has a long enough history as a Middle East golf tournament, but it really hit the big league from 2006 when Commercial Bank came in as main sponsor...

Spoiler:
From those playing this year, Paul Lawrie has the best record here with two wins, and he will be, of course, the defending champion this year. But other guys like Bjorn, Stenson, Garcia and even Gonzo have done really well here during the years, so look for them to be up there in contention again. Pitty once again about Quiros, who is not playing this week, and who also has a really good record here...

I don't know too much about the Middle East golf courses, but at least from what I saw on tv in the past, the Doha course would be one of my favorites in that part of the world. But if you want a very well informed view of the course, you can read Peter Hanson's guide over here:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2013/tournamentid=2013007/news/newsid=183496.html

Unsurprisingly, the weather is supposed to be mild this week and the winds, which can be very tricky here, are forecasted as 'light'...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Qatar Masters Empty Re: European Tour - Qatar Masters

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 22 Jan - 17:17

Wow, That's a good reminder! Hadn't spotted the early start date for Doha. Dubai back to normal though.

Some terrific groupings, matching anything in San Diego I'd imagine - Kaymer, Oosty and Rose leading the way, but other super threesomes also, not least Matteo, Grace and Dufner.

I see the Senior European Tour Q-School is also in session this week - some US pros with fleeting PGA Tour careers, including Anderson, Bolling, Ross and Thompson.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 22 Jan - 17:44

Seniors tour i find very interesting guys trying to hit the big time later in life
Wolstenhome and Paul Wesslingh last year making their bank managers happy.I still think GW could have done a bit better earlier on not top in the PR dept but credit where its due for his golf.Could easily enjoy 10 years on seniors tour.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 22 Jan - 20:49

Thanks pd. Yes, it's good to see that Qatar and Abu Dhabi have risen over the past few years, now matching Dubai. Strong field also this time. Looking forward. Lots of players to look out for: Rose, Oosty, Olesen. And always interesting to see which Garcia shows up.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Wed 23 Jan - 9:07

Perhaps I have missed the answer and for sure I am too lazy to google it, but why the Wednesday start? Is Sunday a religious day without golf?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 23 Jan - 9:50

Attempt to get visitor numbers up, apparently, as Friday and Saturday is the weekend there.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Jan - 10:43

Santos, Hansen, Olesen apparently carrying their good form into this week.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 23 Jan - 12:23

If Woods played in this it would be called the Catarrh masters.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 23 Jan - 12:31

pedro wrote:Santos, Hansen, Olesen apparently carrying their good form into this week.

And Rose
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 23 Jan - 13:16

incontinentia wrote:If Woods played in this it would be called the Catarrh masters.
At least he'd keep the grass green.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 23 Jan - 14:18

just watched an hour or so and the greens look very 'scruffy' different grass types of course but it looks awful difficult to keep a good surface

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 23 Jan - 15:02

Some top 10 there after the first day... Headscratch
None of those names would've crossed my mind before the start.

Big swing in Rose's favor compared to Oosty at the last hole...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 24 Jan - 8:05

Watched a bit this morning and agree with dynamark, greens don't look in the best of conditions. There was one particular putt from Rose a few minutes ago which they got on slow motion on tv, and you could see the ball rolling nicely right towards the middle of the hole, but suddenly turning right just a few inches from the cup after hitting a piece of grain or something... A few other guys out there getting a bit frustrated I see, including Dufner.

Otherwise the leaderboard is getting interesting with a bunch of players playing very well, one of them being Kaymer. Fraser moved clear at 9-under, he's been teasing that top 50 cutline for a while and would need to make a bold move this week to cross it...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Jan - 9:58

Solid looking round for Paul Casey - I still think he will be the comeback story of the year!
Not so good for Jamieson; is he as inconsistent as it looks from my computer?

Pleased to see Kaymer up there again - hope his year doesn't get derailed by his PGA Tour ambitions.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 10:56

Currently looks as if all the Top 50 OWGR players will make the cut (14). Of couse the field is limited, but still something I haven't seen for a while. Anyone any stats on that?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 24 Jan - 12:02

Always good to see them top guys playing well. Don't have any stats on that, but certainly doesn't happen that often (when you have a dozen or more top 50 in a field, of course)...

Very dissapointing from Jamieson, obviously very different conditions compared to Durban, but would be a pitty if he couldn't take advantage of that great spell and start to drift backwards from the top 50/64 at this time...

Meanwhile, we could be asking ourselves very soon how good Santos really is, if he manages to improve on his excellent finish last week...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 24 Jan - 12:06

themightyone wrote:Currently looks as if all the Top 50 OWGR players will make the cut (14). Of couse the field is limited, but still something I haven't seen for a while. Anyone any stats on that?
Currently looks as if all the Top 50 OWGR players + Michael Campbell will make the cut (14). Of couse the field is limited, but still something I haven't seen for a while. Anyone any stats on that?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 12:23

MC has made the cut in 6 of his last 7 tourneys, so not an enormous surprise I reckon. The question remains when will he be able to finish higher than his position on day 2...

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 12:25

By the way, Ernie, Paul Lawrie en Thomas Bjorn could still spoil it as they are on or one under the current cut line

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Jan - 12:30

Good round going (-4 so far) from Todd Hamilton. Haven't been able to say that for a while.

Els struggling, but COME ON SERGIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 24 Jan - 12:45

What a 4-putt Howller (!) from Paul Lawrie!? Shocked
That top50 stat you've been mentioning, looking like may not happen in the end...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 13:23

Lawrie has just missed his 3 foot birdie putt at the 18th and will miss the cut... Alas!

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 13:31

Santos almost holes out from the greenside bunker at 18, will have to settle for par and a four way tie for the lead. Gary Lockerbie seems to be the only one still playing who could change that.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 24 Jan - 13:40

Spotted Michael Campbell doing well early doors.

6 of last 7 cuts. That must be his best run since just after he won a biggy (and then imploded).

Liked him and his attitude back then, often have a shufty to see if he's still around. Never so keen on his clothing line though, did he teach IJP everything he knows about design?

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan - 13:52

Nice to see him back. Used to bet on him all the time until the one time when it mattered when he won US Open.
Olesen up there again.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 24 Jan - 14:16

Campbell making 6 of 7 cuts must be more rare than all in top 50 making the cut. Even if you include no-cut tournaments...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 14:35

He made 12 cuts in the 44 tournaments prior to his current magnificent run. Those 12 cuts included 0 top 10's, 3 top 20's, 2 top 40's and 7 finishes below 40th place...

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 24 Jan - 14:36

Glad to see him back!

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 24 Jan - 15:21

I am to be honest. Hope it goes OK for him.

On the 12 of 44 cuts (and poor finishing of tournaments) is it one catastrophic lap that's doing him or is it generally both Sat and Sun of poor quality?

What did for him in general? Mental side of the game or technical? I can't remember now but thought it was the razzamatazz of being a major winner getting to him...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan - 21:26

pedro wrote:Campbell making 6 of 7 cuts must be more rare than all in top 50 making the cut. Even if you include no-cut tournaments...

Rarer than a smile on the face of Nine Chins pedro.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Thu 24 Jan - 21:50

Super_realist: Mentioning Tiger in a comment again I see. Do you honestly have nothing better to do in life other than sitting on a computer spouting ill informed nonsense about somebody you've never even met before? I see you aren't complementing him on his excellent play at the moment but were the first to celebrate like five year old when he missed the cut last week. Also your nickname of nine chins is simply idiotic seeing as it appears he's lost weight over the break and is looking as slim as ever.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan - 21:59

What excellent play would that be Seve? He's barely played for months and stunk the place out last week, in fact he's been downright average since the Ryder Cup where he was also reeking. So what should I be complementing him on exactly?

Do I have nothing better to do? Not at this moment, but then it appears you don't either.

The name "nine chins" is no more idiotic than the ridiculous self monickered name of "Tiger", If he doesn't have nine chins anymore, at least he used to , he's never lived India and has never had stripes, apart from that big yellow one up his back, that he sports in the Ryder Cup Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 24 Jan - 22:07

Seve_The_Great wrote: it appears he's lost weight over the break and is looking as slim as ever.
I vonnder why?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Thu 24 Jan - 22:11

Super_realist: The excellent play that I'm taking about maybe the fact he's currently making Torrey pines look rather average. Mind you having won their seven times I suppose he's done that on a number of occasions. Do you even watch golf? He barely finished outside the top 10 in the last 6 events he played in last season. Could be the reason he's currently number two in the world rankings perhaps? Yes he was poor at the Ryder Cup but it isn't the Pinnacle of the sport and I'm sure it doesn't bother him. He did miss the cut last week but then it was the first time he'd done so in a normal European tour event. So not bad in my opinion.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan - 22:23

Torry pines isn't the pinnacle either and Ryder Cup is certainly more prestigious. So your point is caller?

Those last tournaments he did well in were a few months ago too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Thu 24 Jan - 22:39

Super_realist: No it isn't the pinnacle but let's be honest here. The Ryder Cup is very entertaining but the proffessionals will care a lot more about competing in their normal season events and winning them rather than winning the Ryder Cup. Those tournaments were a few months ago but what could he have played in the mean time? No doubt if he had competed in and won a few low key events you would have slated him for it. My point is that perhaps you should grow up a bit and actually provide some constructive arguments instead of attempting to wind people up. I'm not just taking about Woods either I notice you post drivel on a lot of other forums as well. Rather sad if you ask me considering I believe you are a person of inteligence.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 24 Jan - 23:25

Good to see Michael Campbell playing well though, isn't it Seve_?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Thu 24 Jan - 23:34

Absolutely kwini why wouldn't it be? Unlike a few on here I don't spend my life wishing ill fate on those who I don't know and have achieved far more than I ever will.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 25 Jan - 0:23

Live and let live, Seve.
Unfortunately Mr.Woods has a satirical bullseye on his back, largely of his own making.
I would think we all in our ways will achieve as much as Tiger, if not more.
Perhaps not more notoriety or wealth or athletic brilliance, but with good values and respect for others - a little goes a long way. Don't put yourself down.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Jan - 6:25

Seve, if it was all sweetness and light can you honestly say this forum would be remotely interesting, likewise if it was all negative and derogatory like an Old Firm forum it wouldnt be either.
We are incredibly fortunate on the golf forum we have a healthy mix of both. You should see how Presbyterian and prim the tennis forum is, not to mention how heavy handed, cliquey and exclusive they are.

Woods, as Kwini says is a legitimate Target for ridicule, largely because of his rather loathsome character traits which in my view make him somewhat of a villain, but not a likable pantomime villain, just a largely unpleasant part of our sport, albeit a talented one who has achieved a great deal. Can you honestly say you'd like total gits like Joey Barton to do well?

Yes, I suppose I could give him credit for his better than average -4 in round one (par for the course for someone like him, and not exactly making people trousers climax the way you suggest they might or should be), but its hardly setting the heather alight and barely merits comment given the percentage of the field that posted a lower score.
I'm far more impressed by Ross Fisher who only just got his card and managed to beat Woods first round score with relative ease.

It does appear that Woods is no longer out there on his own in this game, and if I'm expected to complement him on being joint 20th then I'm going to have to complement half the field too and what's the point of doing that?

Furthermore, what is the difference between wanting a player you have never met and don't like to do badly and wanting a player you do like but have never met to do well? I don't see a difference, both are perfectly acceptable points of view. You could say one was peevish and one was glory hunting, but other than that not a lot more.
Did you ever met Seve, Seve? Probably not, but doesn't mean you can't like him or name yourself after him, just as I've got plenty of reason for not liking Woods and hoping that he does poorly.
If we all had to base opinion and comment and what we have done, achieved or who we have met nothing would ever get written, it's objective opinion, not sanctimony.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 25 Jan - 9:18

Meanwhile.. back in Qatar...good to see Sergio playing well and with a bit of a hint of a smile replacing what's been a pretty sour puss for too long. I was worried he was in danger of depressing himself out of form for good- it seemed to be self-reinforcing with him.. I'm playing poorly, I'll be miserable.. being miserable makes me play poorly.

If we have to focus on Tiger (and it seems we must) - on current form he's one of a large number of great golfers competing at a standard that makes me shake my head in wonder.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Fri 25 Jan - 9:21

Good day for Ross Fisher and David Lynn yesterday, hope they keep up that form. (they both beat 'course specialist' TW)

Dont know why but think DL will struggle with America, yet think Ross will do well...any how good luck to them both

Andrew Murray, former Euro tour player and winner, did a talk at our club last night. Which was both informative and fun. His son Tom got his challenge tour card in his first try at q-school.

Tom talked us through what q-school was like and even as a young lad he said it was mentally and physically exhausting, so must be brutal for some of the older guys!!

Both are attached to our club and see them regularly on the course with Andrew spending a lot of time with the junior section, which is nice.

Good luck to Tom on his first tourny in India next week, to say he is nervous would be and underestimation :-)

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Jan - 9:24

Bob_the_Job wrote:Meanwhile.. back in Qatar...good to see Sergio playing well and with a bit of a hint of a smile replacing what's been a pretty sour puss for too long. I was worried he was in danger of depressing himself out of form for good- it seemed to be self-reinforcing with him.. I'm playing poorly, I'll be miserable.. being miserable makes me play poorly.

If we have to focus on Tiger (and it seems we must) - on current form he's one of a large number of great golfers competing at a standard that makes me shake my head in wonder.

No matter who it is, golf just doesn't make me gasp. Even though I love the game, it's not interesting or dynamic enough as a spectator sport to really get me on the edge of my seat unless it's the knife edge of a tight Ryder Cup, but then it's not the skill rather than the implication of a score on a hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 25 Jan - 9:27

s_r - I think they're playing 2 courses at Torrey Pines (one is much shorter and easier than the other).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Jan - 9:36

Well Nine chins isn't the only one playing the other one. We shall see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 25 Jan - 10:20

HiGun wrote:

Dont know why but think DL will struggle with America, yet think Ross will do well...any how good luck to them both

Length is the obvious answer, I'd have thought?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Fri 25 Jan - 10:56

"Length is the obvious answer, I'd have thought?."

Maybe but think its more a confidence thing. After all there are plenty of shorter hitters doing very nicely over there. (clarke/gay)

Ross just looks more comfortable and self confident than David...IMO

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 25 Jan - 11:06

You just have to be an average hitter with a tidy short game, hitting it 300 yards means nothing if you can't hit greens, get up and down or putt.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 25 Jan - 11:07

Roller_Coaster wrote:I am to be honest. Hope it goes OK for him.

On the 12 of 44 cuts (and poor finishing of tournaments) is it one catastrophic lap that's doing him or is it generally both Sat and Sun of poor quality?

What did for him in general? Mental side of the game or technical? I can't remember now but thought it was the razzamatazz of being a major winner getting to him...

Well in fact, the whole thing was one big catastophy, he didn't manage to score on both days before the weekend and in case he managed to scrape through, he didn't do himself any good in the weekend either.
As for the reasons: he has mentioned shoulder injury, not being physically fit enough and mental problems. Take your pick, I assume they are all correct.

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve_The_Great Fri 25 Jan - 11:26

Super_realist:
As you quite obviously pointed out this is a golf forum. Therefore why on earth does it need derogatory comments about players or other topics to make it interesting? If you honestly believe that debating about golf without having the need to call Woods a pr_ck or poking fun at people's weight such as Shane Lowry is boring then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a golf forum in the first place? You speak of balance and yet laughably this is the one thing you lack. I do not post on here on a frequent basis but in the years i have been reading the forum i can honestly say i don't think iv seen you have anything positive to say about Woods at all. Incredible and in many ways sad considering what he has achieved in the sport.

Are you honestly trying to compare him to Joey Barton? The last time i checked somebody's personality has no baring on how well they can strike a golf ball. If you're more interested in people's personalities than golf then maybe you should be watching the Jeremy Kyle show instead of wasting your time on here. Tiger is by no means perfect of course but then he is no Hitler or Stalin. Besides which there are plenty of other golfers on tour with similar personalities. Daly and Poulter to name just a couple. In fact Daly has acted on occasion with far more unpleasantness on a golf course than Woods ever has. However you never slate him for it with the reason being that Woods is far more successful. His success makes people jealous and then they feel the need to come on here wasting their lives making cheap digs at him.

What you have failed to mention conveniently is the fact that Woods round was on the far harder South Course and practically everyone else on the first couple of pages of the leader board played the much easier north course. If you don't feel the need to congratulate him on a good round then why do you feel the need to poke fun when he very rarely misses the cut? I noticed that you completely ignored the fact that Rory the current world number one also missed the cut last week.

The reason i named myself after Seve is because i am a huge golf fan and have the up most respect for what he achieved on the course. This also goes for Woods as i couldn't care less about his personality as what does that have to do with golf? All im saying is perhaps you should also show a little respect for those who have achieved a lot more in their lives than you ever will in your life(which must be fairly boring if all you have time for is to come on here and attempt to wind people up and talk constantly about how much you hate Woods). For those who do not want to to talk about Tiger im sorry but it was super who again brought him up in an unrelated thread again.

Seve_The_Great

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next