The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named

+20
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
rodders
Hound_of_Harrow
Cyril
MrsP
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Poorfour
Morgannwg
Hookisms and Hyperbole
nathan
Notch
Artful_Dodger
LeinsterFan4life
funnyExiledScot
21st Century Schizoid Man
doctor_grey
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
yappysnap
24 posters

Go down

Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named  Empty Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named

Post by yappysnap Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

Following the conclusion of the pool stages of the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup, ERC, the governing body of European club rugby's two tournaments, has announced the longlist for the prestigious ERC European Player of the Year 2013 award.
Selected by a distinguished panel of rugby experts, the longlist for one of the most prized individual accolades in the game includes 15 outstanding players from the 44 clubs competing in the 2012/13 tournaments.

The beginning of the search to select a successor to Leinster Rugby's Rob Kearney, who won the ERC European Player of the Year award last season, was based on player performances during the pool stages of the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup.

Wesley Fofana of ASM Clermont Auvergne, the Harlequins' full back, Mike Brown, Owen Farrell of Saracens and Ulster Rugby's Ruan Pienaar who made last year's longlist, are included again.

The Judging Panel will also have the option to consider additional players who make major contributions during the knockout stages of both tournaments before announcing a five-man shortlist following the semi-finals with the overall winner named directly after the ERC European club finals in Dublin next May.

In addition to the decision of the panel, the 44 clubs in the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup will have the opportunity to vote for contenders nominated on the ERC European Player of the Year 2013 shortlist while supporters can also have their say on Twitter using #ERCPlayer2013, and on the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup Facebook pages.

The Judging Panel for this season's award is: Stuart Barnes (Sky Sports), Will Greenwood (Daily Telegraph, World Cup winner and two-time Challenge Cup winner), Stephen Jones (Rugby Correspondent, Sunday Times), Emmanuel Massicard (Editor, Midi Olympique) and Gerry Thornley (Rugby Correspondent, Irish Times).

ERC European Player of the Year 2013 Longlist
(based on performances in the pool stages)

Steffon Armitage (Toulon)
Rory Best (Ulster Rugby)
Julien Bonnaire (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Wesley Fofana (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier)
Charlie Hodgson ((Saracens)
James Johnston (Harlequins)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Morgan Parra (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster Rugby)
Simon Zebo (Munster Rugby)

ERC European Player of the Year 2013 longlist formguide

Steffon Armitage - since his move to Toulon has developed into one of the most feared opensides in the European game. Hugely impressive in the Cote d'Azur club's run to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals and appeared in all six pool matches making four try assists, the joint highest in the tournament.
ERC Record

Rory Best - the heartbeat of Ulster who are looking to go one better than last season in the Heineken Cup. Intelligent, combative and consistent. Quite simply one of the most complete hookers in rugby. Only two other hookers have delivered more successful lineout throws than Best (64) this season.
ERC Record

Julien Bonnaire - still one of Europe's most outstanding back rows at the age of 34. May be retired from international rugby, but has been brilliant in a series of strong Clermont pool stage performances making 69 tackles this season, only three other men have made more.
ERC Record

Mike Brown - a rock under the high ball and dynamic going forward in all six pool games among the top ten metre makers., Brown has been superb yet again as unbeaten Harlequins target another European title.
ERC Record

Dan Cole - a central cog of the Tigers' powerful forward force in the Pool stage having locked down the number 3 jersey in a very competitive squad. Completed 29/33 tackles in the Pool campaign.
ERC Record

Owen Farrell - mature way beyond his years at 21, Farrell has been a key figure yet again this season for Saracens and his magnificent haul of 10 penalties in the vital away Round 5 game against Racing Metro is now a tournament record.
Kicked 25 goals in the pool stages and was the second top points scorer (75)
ERC Record

Wesley Fofana - the coming midfield player in world rugby. Blessed with outrageous acceleration, Fofana picks some glorious lines as part of a hugely talented Clermont back division. Four tries in five pool appearances and leading player in the Amlin Opta Index pre Round 6.
ERC Record

Mamuka Gorgodze - quite literally a massive influence on Montpellier's advance to the last eight of the Heineken Cup this season. Muscular and painfully direct, Gorgodze appeared in five pool matches and contributed 15 points.
ERC Record

Charlie Hodgson - A cerebral playmaker at No 10. A shrewd tactician with an eye for the gap, he has contributed 45 points in the pool stage including two tries and four try assists.
ERC Record

James Johnston - under Harlequins' expert guidance, the Samoan international has become a top-class tight head. The immovable object in the Pool 3 winners' scrum, Johnston played in five Heineken Cup games this season.
ERC Record

Joe Launchbury - one of the rising stars in Europe, Launchbury's outstanding form for England last autumn has been replicated during London Wasps' progress into the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals.
ERC Record

Morgan Parra - the conductor of Clermont's pitch-perfect orchestra. Calls the shots for his side in the tradition of dominant French No 9s and the leading scorer in the Heineken Cup pool stage with 90 points from six matches.
ERC Record

Geoff Parling - Leicester Tigers have produced a number of half-decent second rows in their history, and Parling now fully deserves a mention among the best. Impressive organiser, strong line-out presence and an ever-present in the Heineken Cup this season. Took 34 lineout catches in the pool stages, more than any other player ERC Record

Ruan Pienaar - there are few half-backs in world rugby who appear to have as much time as the talented South African. More effective at No 10 than scrum half, he has been superb in every facet for Ulster. Only four players produced more kicks in play than Pienaar (56) in the pool stage.
ERC Record

Simon Zebo - a coiled spring of exuberant talent. The hugely promising Zebo made his European mark last season with a hat-trick in Round 6 of the Heineken Cup against Northampton Saints and he repeated the feat last weekend to ensure Munster's qualification. Only two other players have score more tries in the Heineken Cup.
ERC Record

Notes
• In 2010, ERC launched the highly acclaimed ERC15 Awards, recognising the efforts of a number of outstanding contributors to the first 15 years of European club rugby competition. Two-time Heineken Cup winner, Ronan O'Gara, was the inaugural recipient of the ERC European Player Award as the best player over the first 15 years of the two tournaments.
• For the 2010/11 season, ERC moved to present the honour to the best player of the season from the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup, selected by a panel of five experts in conjunction with the 44 clubs from the two competitions with supporters also given the opportunity to vote on the shortlist.
• A shortlist of five players will be announced following the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup semi-finals (26/27/28 April) and the ERC European Player of the Year 2013 will be selected after the Dublin finals weekend of 17/18 May.

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/20445.php#.UP7bN67kdo9

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named  Empty Re: Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named

Post by yappysnap Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

Ok so I guess they were never going to make every one happy but broadly speaking most of those players seem correct.

Parra, Fofona, Armitage, Best, Brown and Launchberry to me have all been out standing in their respective teams and tournaments.

The others could probably go either way and to be honest I haven't seen enough to comment too much, only real concerns are Farrel and Zebo.

Farrel yes does have a very good boot for kicking at goal and tackles well, but can not unlock defences and his basic vision and passing skills are below par. I feel he's got in there on inflated rep one game (v Racing) and rose tinted memories of Wilkinson.

Zebo from what i've seen has done extremely well when given the chance but is still not a scary winger, he can be well marshalled by the opposition and unless playing against numericaly inferior opposition looks similar to a lot of other wingers. He's very good but hasn't for me done anything to be in the list.

Players who could be in there: Sexton, Easter, Nalaynga, Sivivatu, Evans.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named  Empty Re: Early contenders for ERC European Player of the Year named

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

Henry is unlucky not to be there too... Probably been better than Rory to tell the truth.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

From an ulster perspective I think they have named the wrong players. Chris Henry has been the stellar open side that i have seen and I would go for one of our props given the dominance and ultimately the results our scrum has delivered

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:58 pm

Obviously I have not seen every match, but from what i have seen it comes down to Bonnaire and Pienaar. Bonnnaire has been terrific and Pienaar seems to simply make every right and smart play whenever needed.

I would like to have seen Nick Evans included. The key player on one of the best teams.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 22 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

Was Gorgodze not dropped for Johnnie Beattie recently ?

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:05 pm

Not dropped, moved to lock I think.

Between Fofana and Brown for me at the moment.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:09 pm

I think Gorgodze's selection is from that final game v Toulon.

How about the Toulouse 8 Picamoles?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Was Gorgodze not dropped for Johnnie Beattie recently ?
Doubt that, sure isn't Gorgodze captain?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:13 pm

Stephen Jones (Rugby Correspondent, Sunday Times)

Oh brilliant.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Was Gorgodze not dropped for Johnnie Beattie recently ?
Doubt that, sure isn't Gorgodze captain?

Gorgodze has been starting in the second row.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

For me, the player of our campaign thus far has been Tom Court. But Best and Pienaar are worthy contenders, I suppose. Think there was a stat that Best had made more turnovers than any other forward after Round 3 not sure if thats still true or not.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

Notch wrote:For me, the player of our campaign thus far has been Tom Court. But Best and Pienaar are worthy contenders, I suppose. Think there was a stat that Best had made more turnovers than any other forward after Round 3 not sure if thats still true or not.

so anyone from Ulster then :p

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:47 pm

Notch wrote:For me, the player of our campaign thus far has been Tom Court. But Best and Pienaar are worthy contenders, I suppose. Think there was a stat that Best had made more turnovers than any other forward after Round 3 not sure if thats still true or not.

I agree with you and Stand. Pienaar has been relatively average this season, certainly in comparison to Court and Henry in white.

Very surprised to see Farrell in there. No doubt he has kicked very well but I've been underwhelmed by the rest of his game. I would have thought Nick Evans should have been on the long list.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue 22 Jan 2013, 7:56 pm

It's not that I think pienaar has been average but he has certainly been outshone. The weekend highlighted to me what a weapon the scrum has become. Were it reffed properly it would have yielded more than it did but for me the two props and Henry have stood out above anyone. Even big Nick

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 22 Jan 2013, 8:52 pm

Should Parling and Johnston really be in the mix? I don't think so.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:45 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Should Parling and Johnston really be in the mix? I don't think so.

I think in Johnston's case they accidentally included the clear front runner for KFC Player of the Year...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 22 Jan 2013, 9:52 pm

Fofana for me in the backs so far, Court in the pack

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:00 pm

chin

Would I be correct in thinking that there is a significant overlap between this "panel of Experts" and the "Panel of Experts" who decided Owen Farrell was on of the 4 best players in the world last year?

So, Gavin Henson is a cert then?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:09 pm

MrsP wrote: chin

Would I be correct in thinking that there is a significant overlap between this "panel of Experts" and the "Panel of Experts" who decided Owen Farrell was on of the 4 best players in the world last year?

So, Gavin Henson is a cert then?
Yes Farrell was a real surprise pick in the World Player shortlist but it's a bit churlish to compare him to Henson Headscratch

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Tue 22 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

My criticism was of the logic of the panel, not of young Farrell. I was just trying to think of someone illogical.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:14 pm

Farrell's inclusion in this list is justifiable. Can't see how or why he was up for player of the year though.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Wed 23 Jan 2013, 12:55 am

How on earth Nick Evans isn't on that list is beyond me.

Ditto Cian Healy.

Headscratch

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 23 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

No Chris Henry, Jared Payne or John Afoa! Shocked thumbsdown
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:44 am

Morgannwg wrote:Should Parling and Johnston really be in the mix? I don't think so.

Certainly think parling should be there, i think the reason people are surprised is because he's in a team that's not playing too well.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:47 am

But is he out standingly better then all other locks? Probably not.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:48 am

Dan Cole in the pack for me and Morgan Parra in the backs.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:52 am

What, no Edinburgh players?? Run

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:53 am

yappysnap wrote:But is he out standingly better then all other locks? Probably not.

Outstandingly better, no. Played better, yes.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 23 Jan 2013, 9:58 am

nathan wrote:
yappysnap wrote:But is he out standingly better then all other locks? Probably not.

Outstandingly better, no. Played better, yes.

Well on a Par(ling) with Launchbury. Hug

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:00 am

yappysnap wrote:Ok so I guess they were never going to make every one happy but broadly speaking most of those players seem correct.

Parra, Fofona, Armitage, Best, Brown and Launchberry to me have all been out standing in their respective teams and tournaments.

The others could probably go either way and to be honest I haven't seen enough to comment too much, only real concerns are Farrel and Zebo.

Farrel yes does have a very good boot for kicking at goal and tackles well, but can not unlock defences and his basic vision and passing skills are below par. I feel he's got in there on inflated rep one game (v Racing) and rose tinted memories of Wilkinson.

Zebo from what i've seen has done extremely well when given the chance but is still not a scary winger, he can be well marshalled by the opposition and unless playing against numericaly inferior opposition looks similar to a lot of other wingers. He's very good but hasn't for me done anything to be in the list.

Players who could be in there: Sexton, Easter, Nalaynga, Sivivatu, Evans.

Farrell has scored a try with his first touch away to Edinburgh. Shock horror! Plus his perfectly weighted kick against Edinburgh at home led to a try for Ashton.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:20 am

Quick question and this isn't a criticism if Farrell who I feel is deserving of that list. Why are people saying that his kick was perfectly weighted for ashton? Te sky commentators went nuts for it but surely if the kick bounces it isn't perfectly weighted as you are reliant on a slice of luck (which they got) when it bounced into Ashton.

That's my slight gripe, everything else about it, he awareness, communication and thought was perfect.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:30 am

Standulstermen wrote:Quick question and this isn't a criticism if Farrell who I feel is deserving of that list. Why are people saying that his kick was perfectly weighted for ashton? Te sky commentators went nuts for it but surely if the kick bounces it isn't perfectly weighted as you are reliant on a slice of luck (which they got) when it bounced into Ashton.

That's my slight gripe, everything else about it, he awareness, communication and thought was perfect.

Ok fine maybe describing it as perfectly weighted is wrong but the move worked. It showed Farrell trying something different. How often do we see crossfield kicks these days?

With most kicks you are relying on a bit of luck to a certain extent surely? It's the effectiveness or lack of it that you are judged upon.

Fine margins between a decent kick and a poor one.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BelfastDickVet Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:48 am

beshocked wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:Quick question and this isn't a criticism if Farrell who I feel is deserving of that list. Why are people saying that his kick was perfectly weighted for ashton? Te sky commentators went nuts for it but surely if the kick bounces it isn't perfectly weighted as you are reliant on a slice of luck (which they got) when it bounced into Ashton.

Ok fine maybe describing it as perfectly weighted is wrong but the move worked. It showed Farrell trying something different. How often do we see crossfield kicks these days?

With most kicks you are relying on a bit of luck to a certain extent surely? It's the effectiveness or lack of it that you are judged upon.

This is a fine tactic and it is particularly tricky so give the boy his dues. It is used quite a bit by the Irish provincial teams, especially Leinster and ulster, but we also see the national team use it too.

BelfastDickVet

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/rdvcrfc/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 23 Jan 2013, 1:07 pm

beshocked wrote:

Agree that the kick was perfect because of the result, but would have been perfect itself if it had been taken on the full. The naiveity of Edinburgh was perfect though.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down