The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players

+2
Pr4wn
Colan (niner)
6 posters

Go down

Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players Empty Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm

What guys do you think get too much/not enough recognition.

These guys are overrated I think and are in no order:

1. Dunta Robinson.

Good player who is always around the ball I think the way he was being talked up during some games this season was a bit much. He's been a bit of a disappointment after his big contract and is defintely not on the level of his teammate Brent Grimes.

2. Dwayne Bowe.

Maybe its because he can't be bothered playing with useless quarterbacks but bar some highlight plays, I just don't see why people think of him as a top ten receiver in the league. Just seems lazy at times.

3. DeMarco Murray.

I like the guy but any talk that he is the future of the Cowboy's backfield is premature. It might just be because of where he plays, but he is too hyped for a guy that has barely played any games and is injured all the time.

4. Jerod Mayo

Nice player but stats are inflated and although I've see him make some big plays, I've also seen him miss a lot.

5. Davin Joseph

I think he is a good but not great player. Against certain teams last year when healthy, I noticed him in particular getting dominated. I don't think he is good enough in both run and pass blocking to be considered elite.

Underrated:

1. Daryl Washington.

Guy is a beast and third best Inside Backer in the league right now. So fast and sheds blocks to get after the QB well for a smallish player.

2. Tyvon Branch

Best strong safety in the NFL and doesn't get enough praise. The only guy in his position right now that can shut out even the best tight ends when he is on form. Best coverage strong safety and can use him like Polomalu win pressure packages. He has scary range and is everywhere.

3. Cameron Wake.

People should know he is good but a lot of casual fans don't know the name and with some more deserved media attention, they will.

4. Ray McDonald.

One of the better 3-4 ends in football but overshadowed by teammates.

5.Rashad Jones.

Second best strong safety after Tyvon Branch right now but I'm sure many of you haven't heard of him because he plays for the Dolphins.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players Empty Re: Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players

Post by Pr4wn Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Overrated: Kevin Williams, Dashon Goldson, Troy Polamalu, Ndamukong Suh, Sean. Weatherspoon.

Underrated: Tony Romo (controversial I know...), Lavonte David, Jeremy Maclin, Owen Daniels.

Probably loads more but I can't think...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players Empty Re: Your Most Overrated/Underrated NFL Players

Post by GSC Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Over: Goldson, Polamalu (seriously, most of his highlight plays are him coming unblocked off the edge), Browner, Bowe, Mayo

Under: Romo, Roethlisberger, Garcon, kenny Phillips

Off the top of my head, could add a few more if I sat down and thought about it
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Ha I'd say the opposite, that goldson isn't overrated but Garcon is

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am

Goldson is so overrated. A few highlight big hits but he gets found out in coverage so often. So many of his interceptions are from tips or terribly thrown passes.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:30 am

Go to disagree, easy to look at the busted coverage last week and say that but if you watch every game this season he has been very good in coverage. Whitner on the other hand I would say is overrated. Goldson isn't thought of as the best free safety game, he is just seens as maybe the third or fourth best by most and that is where he belongs. From looking at his frame and his big hits I can see why people would focus on that but its not really the only part of his game. Last season, he maybe was a little hyped because of all the picks, but watch some tape this year and the better tackling form and other improvements are evident. As for how he gets his picks, who cares? means he is in the right position. Is Inzaghi crap because he fed off the scraps? Just watch the Pats game and see Hernandez flincg for no reason and drop a pass going over the middle, that is the intimidation Goldson brings. Add to that his improved coverage, run defense etc and he may be the most complete safety in the game right now

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 am

The entity of the niners secondary is over rated, there front 7 is the reason they have so much success, when the front 7 isn't working they get burnt
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:32 am

Rogers is a good cover corner but I can't believe I have to agree with Cherries otherwise
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 am

Rogers has been the weak link this year! Is that not the case with every secondary though, I don't think any would do well if their front seven done nothing. Wouldn''t say the secondary is overrated as I don't know anyone that thinks the group is one of the best to begin with

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am

Overrated:
Earl Thomas for me, I have watched about 3/4 Seahawks games this year not a lot admittedly, but I'm still waiting to see what everyone talks about.

Josh Freeman: Relative to the stats which would suggest he had an unreal year, he did a lot of good things and a lot of bad, he needs some help and will get more from the healthy OL (Penn is overrated a bit although improving, Davin is hit and miss). Josh still struggles to read coverages and doesn't always go through his progressions. A lot of his INTs weren't necessarily his fault and he deserves another year because when he was hot, he was up there with the best. Playoff Flacco is what he delivered during that span, needs to work on getting there often and with help from the D the Bucs could actually show something.

Wes Welker: A product of the system for me, he excells with the attention Gronk and Hernandez take, he won't do too well outside of NE for me, a few big drops in key games as well of course, I also wonder is Brady overrated a bit, but that's probably more to do with my hatred of the Patriots.

Underrated:
Lavonte David, calling the plays from outside backer from day one, 2nd in the rookie tackles for loss in a season (all time) with 20, as well as a pick of Manning. After perhaps Wagner and Hayward he would be my Rookie of the Year and he is pushing those two.

Gerald McCoy: Get a decent pass rush DT alongside him and he will be up there with the best in the league. Sapp had Booger McFarland to help him as well as Simeon Rice remember. GMC takes double and triple teams and still gets pressure, a phenomenal talent.

Ray McDonald: Under appreciated DT, consistently busts up OL, came up big in second half last week and was a key component of the shut out.

Chris Clemons: A superb pass rushing DE and a very good run defender, the Seattle DL struggled without him against the Falcons in particular.

Harrison Smith: The guy has a very promising future at the safety position, the Vikings D were a lot better than many suspected and Smith was a good component of a decent enough Pass D. Overshadowed Mark Barron, who had a solid enough year, struggled in coverage at times (he looked worse due to trying to cover his CBs mistakes) but a great run defender, would expect Barron to come along if the Bucs improve the pass Defence.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 am

Thomond wrote: Overrated:
Earl Thomas for me, I have watched about 3/4 Seahawks games this year not a lot admittedly, but I'm still waiting to see what everyone talks about.

Josh Freeman: Relative to the stats which would suggest he had an unreal year, he did a lot of good things and a lot of bad, he needs some help and will get more from the healthy OL (Penn is overrated a bit although improving, Davin is hit and miss). Josh still struggles to read coverages and doesn't always go through his progressions. A lot of his INTs weren't necessarily his fault and he deserves another year because when he was hot, he was up there with the best. Playoff Flacco is what he delivered during that span, needs to work on getting there often and with help from the D the Bucs could actually show something.

Wes Welker: A product of the system for me, he excells with the attention Gronk and Hernandez take, he won't do too well outside of NE for me, a few big drops in key games as well of course, I also wonder is Brady overrated a bit, but that's probably more to do with my hatred of the Patriots.

Underrated:
Lavonte David, calling the plays from outside backer from day one, 2nd in the rookie tackles for loss in a season (all time) with 20, as well as a pick of Manning. After perhaps Wagner and Hayward he would be my Rookie of the Year and he is pushing those two.

Gerald McCoy: Get a decent pass rush DT alongside him and he will be up there with the best in the league. Sapp had Booger McFarland to help him as well as Simeon Rice remember. GMC takes double and triple teams and still gets pressure, a phenomenal talent.

Ray McDonald: Under appreciated DT, consistently busts up OL, came up big in second half last week and was a key component of the shut out.

Chris Clemons: A superb pass rushing DE and a very good run defender, the Seattle DL struggled without him against the Falcons in particular.

Harrison Smith: The guy has a very promising future at the safety position, the Vikings D were a lot better than many suspected and Smith was a good component of a decent enough Pass D. Overshadowed Mark Barron, who had a solid enough year, struggled in coverage at times (he looked worse due to trying to cover his CBs mistakes) but a great run defender, would expect Barron to come along if the Bucs improve the pass Defence.

I dreamt of the 49ers drafting Thomas when he was coming out of college. Agree that he has struggled at times this year, missing too many big tackles but still super talented. Harrison Smith has been even better than Goldson and Thomas this season imo . Barron is early Goldson sort of. Don't think he has the same playmaking ability but is comparable

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:16 am

Barron has come up with some big plays in some of the Bucs wins, he had a stellar game against Gonzalez in week 17, 5 catches 40 yards which is good for Gonzalez. Barron can work on his coverage skills but he has a good nose for the ball and a lot of promise.

Smith has been lights out this year though, up there with the best safeties in the league.

Eric Berry is another for the overrated slot perhaps, a lot of people know he has been shoite for about two years now but still makes Pro Bowls and got a decent number of All-Pro votes!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 am

I love Eric Berry, got his jersey the second he became an NFL player because of his college career. Berry is more talented than any other safety drafted in recent years but that ACL really set him back. He was great in his rookie season but he isn't as explosive it seems now

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Goldson and Whitner are solid IMO, I like Goldson a little more.
Mayo is solid.

Underrated (off the top of my head)
Sebastian Vollmer
Derrick Johnson
Paul Posluszny
Marcel Reese

many, many more

Overrated
Tim Tebow

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:38 pm

[quote="twelve283"]Goldson and Whitner are solid IMO, I like Goldson a little more.
Mayo is solid.

Underrated (off the top of my head)
Sebastian Vollmer
Derrick Johnson
Paul Posluszny
Marcel Reese

many, many more

Overrated
Tim Tebow

Posluzny is one I should have mentioned. He looked bad in the 3-4 a few years ago but has really did well, I notice his pass coverage In particular has improved

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:59 pm

niner wrote:Posluzny is one I should have mentioned. He looked bad in the 3-4 a few years ago but has really did well, I notice his pass coverage In particular has improved
Yeah he goes under the radar because he's on a bad team, just like Derrick Johnson.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down