The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cash cows.

+11
Artful_Dodger
BigTrevsbigmac
nganboy
GloriousEmpire
RubyGuby
aucklandlaurie
bsando
Morgannwg
AlastairW
Casartelli
Glas a du
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cash cows. Empty Cash cows.

Post by Glas a du Mon 28 Jan 2013, 5:18 pm

So another 6 Nations championship is about to start. Those of you Welsh fans who have shelled out to pay the next instalment of Roger Lewis' salary by buying tickets for Saturday's match must be having kittens about now. Do you feel loved? Do you feel that Lewis and his gang are isolated from you in their ivory towers? If only there was something the WRU could do for us, the humble fans...

But wait, what's this?

WRU SUPPORTS FANS WITH SIX NATIONS TICKET PRICE REDUCTION FOR THE MILLENNIUM STADIUM

Ahead of Wales 2013 RBS 6 Nations sell out games against Ireland and England the WRU has announced that it will dramatically support Welsh Rugby clubs and fans in 2014 by reducing ticket prices in next year’s tournament in Cardiff.

Tickets for next year’s RBS 6 Nations will be made available to all WRU member clubs across Wales in 2013 at prices which will attract as many people as possible to our capital city in 2014.

The WRU has decided to significantly reduce the 2014 prices for the Italy and Scotland games and not increase the 2013 price for the 2014 game against France.

Wales v Italy 2014 tickets will be priced at £25, £35, £55 and £65. This is the same top price as a ticket in 2009 and is a reduction of over 18% on this year’s prices.

Wales v Scotland 2014 tickets will be priced at £25, £40, £60 and £70. This is a 12.5% reduction on this year’s top price.

Wales v France 2014 will be held at £80, £75, £50 and £30. This is the same as the 2013 New Zealand game and this year’s Six Nations.

The 2013 Autumn Series fixtures have not yet been announced, however, there will be no increase on the 2012 range of prices.

The Group Chief Executive of the Welsh Rugby Union, Roger Lewis, said: “The WRU wants to help all of its rugby clubs and fans to enjoy international rugby. We have sold out this year’s games and we want to do the same next year.

“This Six Nations price reduction will assist all of our clubs and fans.

“We want to offer as many people as possible the chance to see Wales at home with this move.

“With three matches at home in 2014 the clubs and the fans can now start planning ahead with confidence.

“The WRU wants to play its part in supporting Welsh clubs and fans in these tough economic times.”

2014 RBS 6 Nations tickets will first be made available to WRU member clubs in 2013.

For the best opportunity of securing a ticket the WRU urges members of the public to join their local rugby club.

All home international tickets are initially distributed via the WRU member clubs or to debenture holders before any remaining seats are sold directly to the public.

Pre-registration for the public will be open from 12 Noon Friday 1st February 2013, the day before Wales play Ireland at the Millennium Stadium.

Supporters can register via www.wru.co.uk/prereg

Further details will be made available over the coming weeks.

Last edited by Glas a du on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Cash cows. Empty Re: Cash cows.

Post by Casartelli Mon 28 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

Need to have a think about this one.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 5:38 pm

How much are face value tickets to MS out of interest Glas?

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

Well I can understand Roger Lewis commanding a hefty wage... But have you actually seen how many 'board members' are on the board? Would they all have Lewis' salary? I don't think half of them on that board are needed.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

I would loved to have gone to this game. As I live and study in Cardiff I keep imagining myself sitting in the Millennium stadium watching some fantastic games of rugger! Then I wake up and remember that they don't do student tickets. Luckily there's some decent pubs in Cardiff so I don't mind watching from there Wink

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 28 Jan 2013, 6:56 pm

AlastairW wrote:How much are face value tickets to MS out of interest Glas?

Up to £85
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:09 pm

At the risk of displaying my ignorance.

But who the F... is Roger Lewis?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

Bargain to watch those Grand Slammers - and when you throw in the likes of Tavis and Lloyd W who account for £2.50 each of the face value then it has to be a bargain. It's about £1 a minute actually to watch Wales or 50p a minute to watch Wales and 50p for Ireland. When you break down the economics of a ticket it really is cheap. Then you factor in those meories that last for years and the whole thing probably equates to less than a penny a minute. Maybe even Halfpenny thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:13 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: At the risk of displaying my ignorance.

Sorry Laurie that was a risk that took you close to plebdom in rugby terms but I admire your honesty. He's our top man at the WRU. Please dont ask me what WRU means thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote: At the risk of displaying my ignorance.

Sorry Laurie that was a risk that took you close to plebdom in rugby terms but I admire your honesty. He's our top man at the WRU. Please dont ask me what WRU means thumbsup

Thats OK Ruby, I'll start off with an easy question (we dont want two ignorant people having a conversation here) But what position did he play?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm

He isn't a rugby man. He's a business man. THere are a lack of rugby guys running the game in Wales.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm

Glas a du wrote:
AlastairW wrote:How much are face value tickets to MS out of interest Glas?

Up to £85

Oh, that's about the same as HQ prices (face value), maybe even a little less, but then again it's the RFU and London prices so what can you expect.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

Laurie - Ha aha ahahahaha!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

Morgannwg wrote:He isn't a rugby man. He's a business man. THere are a lack of rugby guys running the game in Wales.

True, Maybe thats something that you guys might want to have a look at?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:He isn't a rugby man. He's a business man. THere are a lack of rugby guys running the game in Wales.

True, Maybe thats something that you guys might want to have a look at?

If only the Union were as sensible as you and I.

Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 28 Jan 2013, 7:41 pm

I now understand Glas a Du's concerns as expressed at the outset.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Mon 28 Jan 2013, 9:34 pm

to think the wru lost john bevan for around £10000 in 1973 they must be able to afford to buy him back with spare change now

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 28 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm

$130ish for a test ticket in Wellington
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:07 am

But wait, what have we here?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:14 am

ahhh i was going to spam the Auntie link here, but you got there first Glas. Someone was listening to you! Very Happy

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:17 am

Sounds as though Lewis is approaching an election?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:32 am

Or is the money so tight they can't afford 5,000 empty seats for Italy as there was last time?

Any way it's a marginal change spun into an heroic gesture...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:34 am

And another thing, Ireland Game sold out, really? They may have sent out all their allocations, but I'm being offered tickets left right and centre, usually they are hard to come by. There'll be a lot of "Fields" if that stadium ends up full...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:49 am

What do you mean buy 'Fields', sorry , not familiar with that term. Are the tickets you're being offered genuine face value jobs, or on-line tout crap from Viagogo (other parasites are available)?

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

Probably much better value for money -

After being (crazily) overlooked for selection - Ian Gough is helping raise money for Velindre Cancer Centre (an Osprey doing some actual great work in the community!);

Exclusive Rugby Package with Ian Gough 3 Course lunch, watch game & meet Goughie. £20 Book on 02920222020

Pass it on, it's for a great cause.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:50 am

Can't believe people are calling for a rugby man to be in charge of the business side. Have we not learned anything??? We've had previous players in charge of running things before and more often than not they have not got the business nous to succeed. Who would you have running the business side that is a rugby man? Jiffy? Gareth Edwards?! EDDY BUTLER?!!!

While some will say that the fans are being ripped off with the current 'strategy', if they're still selling enough tickets and are selling out for most 6N and big games then why would they reduce the price? Can you imagine a motor vehicle manufacturer selling out their top product, so obviously popular, but saying "lets cut the price so we make less money". Bonkers.

If peoples' gripe is that they can't afford the tickets then that's fair enough. I can't either, but I don't moan about it. I can't afford to go skiing either, but I don't moan about Switzerland's prices on a message board and demand that the head of tourism there is replaced by 'a skiing man'.

People will soon be very quick to moan if the WRU decides to fund the regions less next year because their profits are lower due to reduced ticket revenue. But let's put a rugby man in their, with 40 years experience of scrummaging at Neath, no real business experience, but he can talk about scrummaging in the 70s, and can invite his rugby mates along to sit in their blazers and talk about the old times. That should see the WRU grow their business model and fund the professional game, pay for central contracts, revamp the welsh prem, fund the grassroots, etc. Good move.

Last edited by Griff on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:51 am

AlastairW wrote:What do you mean buy 'Fields', sorry , not familiar with that term. Are the tickets you're being offered genuine face value jobs, or on-line tout crap from Viagogo (other parasites are available)?

Irish men singing 'Fields of Athens Rye'. Very Happy

Genuine face value tickets from the local clubs who are struggling to shift them.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:53 am

Yeah all Rugby players are thick and couldn't possibly run a business Rolling Eyes
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:54 am

Griff surely you must have some captains of industry that are true rugby people?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:57 am

I'd love people to name me some Laurie.

Glas, who would be your pick?

Put rugby people in charge of growing the rugby side of things, of course. We've got Joe Lydon as the head of player development, or something like that. But being an ex player does not make you a commercial wiz, obviously. Just as former players do not make good coaches.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Tue 29 Jan 2013, 8:59 am

Glas a du wrote:
AlastairW wrote:What do you mean buy 'Fields', sorry , not familiar with that term. Are the tickets you're being offered genuine face value jobs, or on-line tout crap from Viagogo (other parasites are available)?

Irish men singing 'Fields of Athens Rye'. Very Happy

Genuine face value tickets from the local clubs who are struggling to shift them.

Well, i've learnt something new today! Hug

I'm surprised about that tbh Glas, and a little sad to be honest, the opening games this year i think are going to be absolute firework affairs. To know that there are still genuine face value tickets still being punted from their respective member clubs this close is a shame Sad

I'd lost all hope picking up Calcutta Cup tickets, it was actually a Scots mate of mine that secured a few through the SRU that came up trumps. I owe him a few pints of Guinness for that! An Englishman and Scotsman, quaffing an Irish drink .... There's a joke in there somewhere i'm sure .....

AlastairW

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:00 am

So most tickets have been reduced from £76 to £65 - Wow I'm sure that £11 will really open up tickets to people who can't afford the £76, but somehow can afford £65??

Yeh nice one WRU.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:06 am

Yes Laurie, but you wouldn't believe the politics...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:08 am

Glas a du wrote:
WRU SUPPORTS FANS WITH SIX NATIONS TICKET PRICE REDUCTION FOR THE MILLENNIUM STADIUM

Ahead of Wales 2013 RBS 6 Nations sell out games against Ireland and England the WRU has announced that it will dramatically support Welsh Rugby clubs and fans in 2014 by reducing ticket prices in next year’s tournament in Cardiff.

Who writes this bullocks? steam

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:08 am

Roger Lewis isn't a businessman, he's an administrator. He never built anything or added value to a business as an entrepreneur. He's a musician by training who worked his way up the office ladder in the music/entertainment industry.

I'm sure he's good at the admin, the HR, the logistics etc etc but he's vastly overpaid for someone at the helm of a relatively small organisation. We could get someone to do as good an admin job for a fraction of his salary.

What we really need is a respected figurehead to define what the union is actually supposed to achieve. I agree that appointing some useless ex-Welsh player would be pointless. You can't have a Mike Hall or Paul Thorburn type involved. In fact, there are probably no Welsh candidates with good enough credentials.

We need Graham Henry back. He'd be the man.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Tue 29 Jan 2013, 9:16 am

Casartelli

Graham Henry's fully occupied at the moment.dont distract him.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:06 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Casartelli

Graham Henry's fully occupied at the moment.dont distract him.

True. And fixing the (Auckland) Blues is probably almost as tough a job as fixing the WRU.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 10:23 am

There's not that much wrong with the WRU and Lewis is doing a decent job. We've had 3 Grand Slamsand a RWC semi-final which could have been even better. The WRU is now on a secure financial footing and it continues to evolve in a positive fashion. What fans have difficulty accepting is that the next agenda will be to provide the regions with more cash gradually and a possible move to central contracts. Both of which will make the regions more competitive. Because we dont now fill the regions with expesive galacticos we are blooding young welsh talent and we continue to enjoy the fruits of this talent. A ropey AI under Howley and a poor but expected showing in the HC is something we have to accept for the time being - I actually prefer to concentrate of the fact that (i) we are the current GS champs and I believe we will defend out crown well over the next few weeks (ii) The Ospreys are the current RABO champs - When the regions receive more from the WRU and it will happen we will see improvements all round. My only concern is the poor coaching at the regions and I would look to SH coaches such as Chieka et al to bring some backbone to the regional sides. Just be patient - Any other home country would give an arm and a leg for 3 Grand Slams in such a short period of time in addition to a good showing at the RWC thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:23 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Glas a du wrote:

Who writes this bullocks? steam

I thought you'd like that! Laugh

Apparently they are hired through an agency. It's rumoured that they are called "Nep O'Tism & Son" but you won't find them advertised anywhere, and they don't have a website chin
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

'Dramatic support' would be fine if it was a press release from National Theatre Wales.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:43 am

"HERE MONSIEUR, I WILL NOT SELL YOU THIS TICKET FOR EIGHTY OF YOUR QUEEN'S POUNDS, NOR SEVENTY FIVE, NOR EVEN SEVENTY, BUT FOR YOU MONSIEUR, FOR THE LOVE OF YOUNG MEN AND FOR QUEEN HARRY, I WILL SELL YOU THIS TICKET FOR 5 AND SIXTY SMACKER kiss "

Last edited by Glas a du on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:44 am

Ahem, that's the WRU dramatically supporting fans by the way...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:47 am

You entertain me Glas - fair play thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:48 am

It's that time of year Guby, as you call tell I'm starting to get all excited...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:49 am

It should be 'support dramatically' rather than 'dramatically support' in any case. Either way, it's a terrible choice of adverb.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 29 Jan 2013, 11:54 am

that it will dramatically support Welsh Rugby clubs and fans in 2014 by reducing ticket prices in next year’s tournament in Cardiff

The obvious place for the word "dramatically" in that sentence is before "reducing"; but then it wouldn't be very accurate...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Cash cows. Empty WRU listen to Fans and reduce ticket prices

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21238158

The price of tickets of some Wales home games during next year's Six Nations rugby tournament is to be reduced.

In a bid to avoid empty seats at games, the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) said it wanted to support Welsh clubs and fans "in these tough economic times".

In 2014, Wales v Italy tickets will cost £25 to £65, which the WRU says is an 18% reduction.

Wales v Scotland will cost between £25 and £70 - a 12.5% reduction - but Wales v France will be held at £30 to £80.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

The Welsh economy is in a very challenging place and it is not going to change for a number of years to come”

Roger Lewis
Welsh Rugby Union
The WRU said tickets for next year's tournament will be made available to all WRU member clubs across Wales in 2013 "at prices which will attract as many people as possible to our capital city in 2014".

Wales v Italy 2014 tickets will be priced at £25, £35, £55 and £65. The WRU says this is the same top price as a ticket in 2009 and represents a reduction of more than 18% on this year's prices.

Tickets for the Scotland game will cost £25, £40, £60 and £70, giving a 12.5% reduction on this year's top price.

Wales v France will be held at £80, £75, £50 and £30 - the same as this year's Six Nations home games.

'Challenging'
Additionally, there will be no increase on last year's prices for tickets for the 2013 Autumn internationals.

WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis said the union wanted to sell out all its games next year.

"The Welsh economy is in a very challenging place and it is not going to change for a number of years to come," he said

"We need to play our part to support our fans and support our communities and give them the chance to experience Wales in the Millennium Stadium next year."

He said he could have raised prices and sold fewer tickets but that keeping prices down he would probably bring in the same revenue but create a better experience for all fans.

"This Six Nations price reduction will assist all of our clubs and fans," he added.

"With three matches at home in 2014 the clubs and the fans can now start planning ahead with confidence."

Tickets for next year's tournament will first be made available to WRU member clubs later this year.

Home international tickets are initially distributed via the WRU member clubs or to debenture holders before remaining seats are sold to the public.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

It's still too much I think. I'd put the most expensive at 50 sheets I reckon.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:20 pm

Risca Rev wrote:It's still too much I think. I'd put the most expensive at 50 sheets I reckon.

£25 is pretty good though. Thats only £20 more than the average Regional price.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:21 pm

So cynically can we assume that they are expecting less public interest in those games?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next