The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror

+19
time please
Danny_1982
lydian
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
Spaghetti-Hans
carrieg4
spuranik
User 774433
walktall2209
socal1976
sportslover
CaledonianCraig
Haddie-nuff
HM Murdock
bogbrush
lags72
JuliusHMarx
CAS
23 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror - Page 2 Empty Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror

Post by CAS Tue 29 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

First topic message reminder :

For the last few years it has been discussed whether Nadal can catch Federer in terms of greatness, can he catch his slam record?

Just 5 slams separated them them after the 2012 French Open and with the Spaniard being 5 years younger it was looking increasingly likely.

Of course there was still weeks at Number 1 but with 5 years to make up ground and with his superior head 2 head it had been said that perhaps Nadal only needed to make it close in terms of statistics to go down as the greater player, and perhaps the greatest of them all.

Fast forward 7 months, Federer has managed to widen the gap to 6 slams, added another chunk of weeks at World Number 1, and in the meantime a certain Serb collected a sixth grand slam, moving him within 5 slams of Nadal.

As is stands, the Spaniard has 102 weeks at Number 1 falling very short of Federer's new tally of 302. However, the Serbian has snuck up to 66 weeks just 36 weeks shy of Nadal.

At the end of 2012 Novak achieved his second successive year end Number 1, equalling him with Rafa, and in the mean time collected his 2nd year end end championship, a title that has so far eluded the Spaniard.

Quite incredibly, for so long the talk was if Rafa could surpass Roger, in the mean time Novak has snuck up on Rafa and is gaining on him at a much faster pace than Nadal is on Federer.

Their head to head is at the moment 19-14 to the Spaniard, but over the coming years were that to change and the likelihood that Novak will have more weeks at number 1 than Rafa when their careers are done, it could be quite conceivable Djokovic eventually eclipses Nadal's career. Especially if he were to get the French Open before his career is out.

It had been refuted by many Federer fans that Nadal could surpass Federer citing Weeks at Number 1 and 5-Year end Number 1 rankings.

The amazing thing is, Djokovic could come within just a few slams of Nadal, and when all is said and done could have a superior head 2 head record over him. And unlike Federer, Nadal may not be able to boast a longer period at Number 1 with Djokovic looking likely to surpass Nadal in that department also.

Seems quite inconceivable a few years ago, but Djokovic still has a few things to do but if he does we could be looking back on Djokovic being the better player almost out of nowhere. It could be quite similar to Lendl, McEnroe and Borg, with McEnroe chasing down Borg before actually being caught himself by Lendl.

As it stands, Nadal is more at risk of being caught by Djokovic than Federer is by Nadal. However, Nadal may have one final say in the matter in the coming years himself

CAS

Back to top Go down

Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:08 pm

walktall2209 wrote:JM, with your designation, I should expect you to be better acquainted with the "elsewhere" content Smile It was a praise/dig at people promptly responding to it, respectively Smile Greetings from Serbia, I thoroughly enjoy 606v2. It has made an entertaining read for years now!

It was the 'garson turn whale' bit that confused me Headscratch

Welcome to the forum - plenty of old 606'ers here. No-one's owned up to being mac the knife though.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror - Page 2 Empty Re: Djokovic in Nadals rear-view mirror

Post by walktall2209 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:16 pm

You just missed him then. I have to say I love what you did with you "time capsule" thing and all, I only wish it were possible to access other posts from the time immediately preceding and succeeding the successive beheadings of the top 3 back in 07. Think I would be enthralled reading those now Smile

JM, thanx for the warm welcome! garson as in waiter i.e. fetching drinks, whale as in big fish in Las Vegas Smile I guess it was a bit far fetched, but well clear to people involved in the dispute Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

Welcome to the forum - plenty of old 606'ers here. No-one's owned up to being mac the knife though..
Laugh Laugh Laugh censored Whistle Whistle

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

I guess someone here is mac the knife then. Not that he/she was particularly memorable from 606 - not to me anyway. What did he do?

garson = garçon - that's what confused me Smile It all sounds like an 'in-joke' to me. Socal, any idea?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:25 pm

walktall2209 wrote:You just missed him then. I have to say I love what you did with you "time capsule" thing and all, I only wish it were possible to access other posts from the time immediately preceding and succeeding the successive beheadings of the top 3 back in 07. Think I would be enthralled reading those now Smile

JM, thanx for the warm welcome! garson as in waiter i.e. fetching drinks, whale as in big fish in Las Vegas Smile I guess it was a bit far fetched, but well clear to people involved in the dispute Smile

Walktall, it is becoming impossible for his detractors now to deny his greatness. GOAT arguments aside Novak has carved his own legacy which he can be very proud of and he looks like he is even better this year in particular on his serve. Yes unfortunately, we aren't that old of a site although I think people can still find old 606 threads on google, I know I looked at a couple many months after the close.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:26 pm

socal1976 wrote:
bogbrush wrote:Clearly we're in a transitional* period, so anything can happen

* post-Federer, Nadal compromised, no new candidate.

As in transitional do you mean weak? I could remember argueing with a certain astute poster who claimed that it was silly to call any era weak.
No, just transitional as in between two other things. I never bought the Golden Era thing, but we're obviously post that now. it seems like we're waiting for something to happen that wasn't already happening two years ago, but deprived of some things that were there.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:26 pm

walktall2209 wrote:You just missed him then. I have to say I love what you did with you "time capsule" thing and all, I only wish it were possible to access other posts from the time immediately preceding and succeeding the successive beheadings of the top 3 back in 07. Think I would be enthralled reading those now Smile

Walktall, it is becoming impossible for his detractors now to deny his greatness. GOAT arguments aside Novak has carved his own legacy which he can be very proud of and he looks like he is even better this year in particular on his serve. Yes unfortunately, we aren't that old of a site although I think people can still find old 606 threads on google, I know I looked at a couple many months after the close.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:27 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Welcome to the forum - plenty of old 606'ers here. No-one's owned up to being mac the knife though..
Mac the knife?

How long did that name go on for, and when? What did they do?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:35 pm

Amin to that, Social.

JM, oh.... he's still at it, just not as boastingly and perhaps a little more open-mindedly. No, no, I respect him tremendously for it, don't get me wrong. In fact he makes the times taste so much sweeter Smile

Almost forgot, give my best to the ever so romantically involved in the sport, the one and only Noleisthebest!
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

He was the first one I "had a run in with" on 606 and it went on for a while.. but then the name changed .. and he was never to be "seen again". Around at the same time as Opinion .. if that was the name Erm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Ah, I'm putting together a picture of a rabid Fed fan - would I be correct in that guess?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:44 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Ah, I'm putting together a picture of a rabid Fed fan - would I be correct in that guess?

Good God JM in that case you are spoilt for choice... You will be here all night picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

Oh, but not just any plain old one, but a rather knowledgeable, versatile and outspoken as much as eloquent one. C'mon..... you know you want to.... say it.... own up to it... Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:45 pm

Wait, what.
I don't get it.

I haven't been following this thread.

Who's a rabid Fed fan?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

Not trying to guess who he is, just who his favourite player is - did I get it right?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Wait, what.
I don't get it.

I haven't been following this thread.

Who's a rabid Fed fan?

mac the knife (is my guess) - but we're not sure if mac the knife is on v2 or just on the old 606

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

There are so many closetted Fed Fans on this forum you are bound to get it right there are only one or two of us that are on the other side of the net. Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by spuranik Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:51 pm

walktall2209 wrote:Oh, but not just any plain old one, but a rather knowledgeable, versatile and outspoken as much as eloquent one. C'mon..... you know you want to.... say it.... own up to it... Smile

Yeah, I remember a certain Mac the Knife too... Never failed to entertain...

The only time he disappointed me was when he assumed that new name of his... Very Happy

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

OK - as I say, I remember the name from 606, but that's about it. But then he changed it to.... Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

spuranik wrote:
walktall2209 wrote:Oh, but not just any plain old one, but a rather knowledgeable, versatile and outspoken as much as eloquent one. C'mon..... you know you want to.... say it.... own up to it... Smile

Yeah, I remember a certain Mac the Knife too... Never failed to entertain...

The only time he disappointed me was when he assumed that new name of his... Very Happy

Ahhhhh but it suits him lol

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by spuranik Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:52 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Welcome to the forum - plenty of old 606'ers here. No-one's owned up to being mac the knife though..
Mac the knife?

How long did that name go on for, and when? What did they do?

Yeah, i guess it went out of fashion sometime around 2008-09... But that's just me guessing... Wink Very Happy

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:54 pm

See, we all know it... just...come out and outright say so... Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

Laugh

First, there was the young maccaogl, a mere hatching who feasted on wums, growing and developing.

Then, and only very briefly, there was mac the knife. He lasted only a short time in that pupal form, though he existed in a brutal World on 606 and grew combative.

Before the spectacular and glorious bogbrush emerged into the World. Wiser and, if possible, even more knowledgable.

At least I think I was. It was very short-lived, and only on 606.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

walktall2209 wrote:See, we all know it... just...come out and outright say so... Smile

I wouldn´t dream of it .. he has become one of my biggest supporters and admirers..... Whistle Yahoo Laugh well in my dreams at any rate

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

bogbrush - Laugh brilliant!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

There you go! Smile a round of applause everyone! Smile Hello again, friend, really looking forward to the exchanges Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

Wait, is this guy actually posting on 606v2?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by spuranik Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:00 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote: bogbrush - Laugh brilliant!

Weren't you aware of this? Shocked Smile Smile

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:03 pm

walktall2209 wrote:There you go! Smile a round of applause everyone! Smile Hello again, friend, really looking forward to the exchanges Smile
Outed!

So much for the witness protection programme.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:05 pm

spuranik wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote: bogbrush - Laugh brilliant!

Weren't you aware of this? Shocked Smile Smile

No, maybe I joined 606 too late - I remember the name 'mac the knife' - 'cos I like the old song - and must have seen some posts, but I honestly can't remember any of them (no offense BB), or that they caused controversy.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:10 pm

I don't either. I was hardly any time taking that name, I got fed up of maccaogl which i went by much longer which I only had as it was a very "in-joke" but bogbrush was always my calling.

606 was a jungle, anything went.

Time for Haddie to come out as deecoco then?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:12 pm

bogbrush wrote:I don't either. I was hardly any time taking that name, I got fed up of maccaogl which i went by much longer which I only had as it was a very "in-joke" but bogbrush was always my calling.

This is getting good Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:13 pm

What was my name on the orignial 606?
While we're at it.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:What was my name on the orignial 606?
While we're at it.

You haven't forgotten already?!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

bogbrush wrote:I don't either. I was hardly any time taking that name, I got fed up of maccaogl which i went by much longer which I only had as it was a very "in-joke" but bogbrush was always my calling.

Thats a bit below the belt Mac... I was keeping "MUM" about you..... nasty !! thought better of you than that

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:

Thats a bit below the belt Mac... I was keeping "MUM" about you..... nasty !! thought better of you than that
Wait, why is that below the belt?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:18 pm

Coz I wasn´t gonna spill the beans on him thats why

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

I thought he was joking! You could have got away with it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:20 pm

But what's wrong with people knowing old usernames?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:21 pm

While we're at it.
Other than amrit?

Haddie, sorry if it was secret but you did get called it on here the other day. Apologies, not meant wickedly.

Now who is debsonthesofa? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Last edited by bogbrush on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Look at my name .. I quit 606 because of the vitriol that was on there at the time especially when you were a Nadal fan.. I quit forum´s for some while until I came here. New beginnings I thought.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by spuranik Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

bogbrush wrote:
While we're at it.
Other than amrit?

Haddie, sorry if it was secret but you did get called it on here the other day.

Debs is on v2?? Shocked Shocked Shocked

spuranik

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

bogbrush wrote:
While we're at it.
Other than amrit?

Haddie, sorry if it was secret but you did get called it on here the other day.

Yes BB but you were the only one that picket up on it.. I ignored it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

In light of today's discussions, this is a really nostalgic article. The subject matter is close to my heart but look whose comment is highlighted in the article (in the blue box)...!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7188600.stm

Last edited by HM Murdoch on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:24 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Look at my name .. I quit 606 because of the vitriol that was on there at the time especially when you were a Nadal fan.. I quit forum´s for some while until I came here. New beginnings I thought.
It's not like you killed anyone.

Though andy did disappear very suddenly. Unless....... is he here too?

Last edited by bogbrush on Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm

debs on here ??????? I doubt it.. she is on MTL with Nameless and the rest of the crew

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:26 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:In light of today's discussions, this is a really nostalgic article. The subject matter is close to my heart but look whose comment is highlighted in the article...!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7188600.stm
Ah! The last of the happy days, but GF was already lurking and had prevented him from the warm up event, hence my misplaced remark.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:27 pm

bogbrush wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Look at my name .. I quit 606 because of the vitriol that was on there at the time especially when you were a Nadal fan.. I quit forum´s for some while until I came here. New beginnings I thought.
It's not you killed my one.

Though andy did disappear very suddenly. Unless....... is he here too?

Sorry I dont understand Doh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

lol I was just amritia3ee.

Debs used to post here, but now only posts on MTL.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

Predictive text moment. See edit.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next