The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt??

+15
TheCelticGarbutt
Aaronb33
sparxz
The Awesome Giz
Jammy31
Bull
NickisBHAFC
GSC
Brilliant_yep
theundisputedY2D2
Crimey
talkingpoint
Hero
Kid Vicious
Scott Hall
19 posters

Go down

Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt?? Empty Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt??

Post by Guest Wed 30 Jan 2013, 3:34 pm

Hi all,

Which wrestling moves do you just not understand? I often wonder where a move happens, how it can end a match.

For example if CM Punk knees a guy in the face, fair enough you can imagine it may hurt, but if the guys gets up and does a People's elbow, how can that end the match for what, in practice is an elbow drop?

Constantly you see a big move, such as a Pedigree get kicked out of for the opponent to hit something daft like an RKO and the match is over.

Discuss Smile

Back to top Go down

Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt?? Empty Re: Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt??

Post by Scott Hall Wed 30 Jan 2013, 3:40 pm

The five knuckle shuffle is essentially a slap to the forehead by a div wearing multiple sweatbands. It must irk other wrestlers to have to sell that move
Scott Hall
Scott Hall

Back to top Go down

Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt?? Empty Re: Wrestling moves you don't understand - how can they hurt??

Post by Kid Vicious Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:11 pm

I always questioned the diving headbutt.
"Dad, surely that'd hurt Bam Bam more than that guy on the ground?"
"It's not real son"

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:15 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:I always questioned the diving headbutt.
"It's not real son"

Were you quoting the Benoit family in conversation there?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:20 pm

canadian destroyer how that would hurt anyone is beyond me! zen

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed 30 Jan 2013, 4:23 pm

Hero wrote:
"It's not real son"

it would've gone more like this
"ber, dad, don't what headbutt hurt you more than what you fight?"
"i've murdered your mother because i hate you"

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:07 pm

They would still hurt but any moves which involving pirouetting, spinning in the air, doing some kind of taunt before it shouldn't hurt more, but often do.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
Hero wrote:
"It's not real son"

KV you owe me a coffee because mine just came out my nose thanks to you! Laugh

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:15 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
Hero wrote:
"It's not real son"

Hahaha brave post there chief Wink
That did make me chuckle.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

619. Its a kick to the head and a small guy falling on you.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:24 pm

GSC wrote:619. Its a kick to the head and a small guy falling on you.

a small overweight guy though!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:37 pm

There's a few that puzzle me, but the one that always sticks in my mind was one that even with full disbelief suspended I still didn't get why it was devastating...

The Worm.

At the end of the day, its a hand chop from a rather small man.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

I never really got how the Stunner was so devastating either.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

Can you just not see it as fighting but entertainment...no ok then.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 6:59 pm

Chill Bull, I think everybody knows it isnt real. Doesn't make the discussion any less entertaining.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:Can you just not see it as fighting but entertainment...no ok then.

Again, you do realise this is a website designed for debate, and yet every time people are debating, you tell them to stop....

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 30 Jan 2013, 7:34 pm

Bull was the inspiration behind Buzz Killington on family guy
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:28 pm

The one that has always confused me, is the Skull Crushing Finale...

Seriously, how the hell does that hurt?
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:38 pm

Jammy31 wrote:The one that has always confused me, is the Skull Crushing Finale...

isn't that the full-nelson with a front sweep? Sounds painful enough to me, with the full-nelson the person can't breakfall meaning their face would hit the canvas and the front sweep would mean you fall with both your and your opponents momentum. I think that would hurt for real, definitely a bloody mouth, possibly broken teeth or a big bump on your forehead!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:39 pm

talkingpoint wrote:
Jammy31 wrote:The one that has always confused me, is the Skull Crushing Finale...

isn't that the full-nelson with a front sweep? Sounds painful enough to me, with the full-nelson the person can't breakfall meaning their face would hit the canvas and the front sweep would mean you fall with both your and your opponents momentum. I think that would hurt for real, definitely a bloody mouth, possibly broken teeth or a big bump on your forehead!

Suppose it would when you put it that way! Guess I'm used to superstars no selling it haha!
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by The Awesome Giz Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:06 pm

I always debated why people would tap to a sharpshooter, nothing about that looked painful.

I agree on the stunner, it looked more likely to make someone get a back strain bending forwards.

I've always thought the cobra was a slight jab at the finger poke doom.

The Awesome Giz

Back to top Go down

Post by sparxz Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:38 pm

Tbh even 'The Shield's' triple powerbomb does not look too effective, apart from roman reigns the other 2 seem to be there so roman doesn't have to pick the guy up himself lol.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Wed 30 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

The Awesome Giz wrote:I always debated why people would tap to a sharpshooter, nothing about that looked painful.

I agree on the stunner, it looked more likely to make someone get a back strain bending forwards.

I've always thought the cobra was a slight jab at the finger poke doom.

I've tapped to the sharpshooter many a time. My brother was always an expert at leg submission holds, I've tapped to everything from a Texas Cloverleaf to a Figure Four...my legs are hurting just reminiscing.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 31 Jan 2013, 8:42 am

it's not just the hyperextension on the ligaments and joints in the sharpshooter, like the boston crab or the texas cloverleaf, it's also the pressure it puts on your spine as you lean backwards - in reality you can break someone's back. For me it's not that wrestling submission holds are less effective than real BJJ techniques but rather the set up is unrealistic. You wouldn't find the sharpshooter in an MMA fight, not because it doesn't work just because unless the person is KO'd, you probably couldn't apply it. But as has been said wrestling is sports entertainment.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaronb33 Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:25 am

Having a BJJ background ruins a lot of the submission finishes for me. When Del Rio applies the Juji Gatame, I'm always thinking "Raise your hips!" or whenever someone applies a sleeper I think "apply pressure to the back of the head!"

Punk's submission looks good though. As does Taker's Gogoplata.

Aaronb33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:26 am

This Sharpshooter would probably hurt me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMADIUmPzU

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCelticGarbutt Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:31 am

The AA has always been one for me, its just a firemans carry elevated from the kneeling position. And its even more annoying when someone like Ziggy hits two Zig-Zags, a Super Kick and the Fame-Asser style move (is that named?) for a 2 count, for one AA to keep someone down for 3 mad

TheCelticGarbutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 31 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

For me submissions in wrestling don't really work unless you can see the faces of both wrestlers, this lends itself to holds like the Sharpshooter and The Walls, it creates the dynamic of a struggle between the two wrestlers and allows them to sell it with their expressions, I prefer this to some more realistic submissions, would Austin's moment at WM13 have been half as iconic if Hart had been working him over with some sort of keylock obscuring his face? It proably would have been more realisitc but I don't think those sort of submissions hold the same sort of impact.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 31 Jan 2013, 1:16 pm

Aaronb33 wrote:Having a BJJ background ruins a lot of the submission finishes for me. When Del Rio applies the Juji Gatame, I'm always thinking "Raise your hips!" or whenever someone applies a sleeper I think "apply pressure to the back of the head!"

Punk's submission looks good though. As does Taker's Gogoplata.

when Angle grapevines his ankle lock that's fairly realistic too.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:55 pm

Cena's STF

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 31 Jan 2013, 3:58 pm

I dont understand how flipping over reverses the pressure of the figure four. Im assuming thats just Kayfabe for the sake of story telling.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 01 Feb 2013, 2:46 pm

Jeff Hardy's Twist of Fate?

It just looks like he's moving his arm round someone's neck while they fall over on their back.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down