The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero!

+4
Rowley
Mr Bounce
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
8 posters

Go down

Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero! Empty Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

Always had a sneaking admiration for Tony Sibson.....Saw him against Collins, Lee and Hagler...and liked his style..

When I moved to England however and settled down Paul "scrap iron" Ryan was my first hero.....Always gave good value either getting knocked out or knocking someone out!!.....Seemed an engaging kid as well....

British and commonwealth champion....

Don't know what he's up to now but thanks for the memories......Boxing needs more guys like Scrap Iron!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero! Empty Re: Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero!

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:30 am

Great shout, Beefster. I remember him well.

I remember the big build up to the Jon Thaxton fight. Ryan had been knocking everyone out and went into that fight as a heavy favourite. Thaxton, as he had a habit of doing, turned it all around and knocked Paul out in the first round!

Last edited by Mind the windows Tino. on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero! Empty Re: Paul "Scrap Iron" Ryan - My first British boxing hero!

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:31 am

One of the best nicknames in boxing! I was a fan of the scrap man too Truss. The sport needs more honest pros like him!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am

Like others have said Truss a good shout on Ryan, as you say always a good value fight. Would also add the aforementioned Thaxton in that category. Always gave a good account of himself, gave Hatton a decent scrap in his early days and tended to be good to watch. Like Ryan always seemed to come across well in interviews. Always annoys me a little that guys like that probably come out of the game with next to nothing financially and a chancer like Audley who has constantly failed to deliver gets the million pound contracts.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 am

Audleys earned that Money Rowley - even court jesters have their place in modern society.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 am

Just had a look at Ryan's record. Does anyone remember Andy Holligan? He deserves a mention.

Good little fighter who was battered by JCC Superstar in Mexico but what a story to tell his kids. He was another one who knocked Scrap Iron out. Had a great fight with Shea Neary who was a tasty little domestic operator as well. Although losing to Mark Wahlberg hurts his legacy badly.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:52 am

He did put Walhberg down in the film though so can be happy with this as he never managed this against Ward.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:55 am

Andy Holligan......Have to admire a guy who dares to go into a 80,000 stadium against the great Julio and fronts up...

My favorite Mexico moment though is Haugen going to the ring with "Born in the USA" blasting out....after quipping that his Mum could have knocked out 2/3 of Chavez opponents..

Haugen was a tough man and a real character...

Fairplay to Holligan though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am

Rowley wrote:He did put Walhberg down in the film though so can be happy with this as he never managed this against Ward.

I thought it was a documentary.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:59 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Rowley wrote:He did put Walhberg down in the film though so can be happy with this as he never managed this against Ward.

Well it isn't, its a vastly over rated and inaccurate film with a ridiculously overacted and over rated performance by Christian Bale. I do like Amy Adams though, she is talented and lovely.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 am

One fighter of a similar mould from these shores I remember when I was young was Kevin Lueshing. I remember him putting Trinidad over before he was stoped and then getting a pasting of Harry Simon in his other world title fight. From my recollection he was a real knock 'em out or be knocked out fighter, who probably did himself no favours by squeezing himself down to Welter when the weight was just too tight for him.

He used to be in the Sky studio now and then back in the day as well, but suddenly disappeared, not to be seen since!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 am

Rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Well it isn't, its a vastly over rated and inaccurate film with a ridiculously overacted and over rated performance by Christian Bale. I do like Amy Adams though, she is talented and lovely.

I actually thought Walhberg was alright in it. He had Wards mannerisms, in the ring anyway, down quite well. Ward had that funny little backwards movement when he threw and jab and Walhberg nailed it.

But yes, Bale was a bit over the top. When isn't he, though?

Yeah, the Haugen fight was great, Truss. I think Chavez could have ended it at any point he liked after the bell rang. He was one angry Mexican that day.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:03 am

Has there ever been an accurate film to do with boxing??...

Worst for me was Max Baer boasting about killing someone...in Cinderella man.

What a shocking boot into a proud man that suffered emotionally over said incident...

Think maybe Bogart's movie about Carnera is the closest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:05 am

88Chris05 wrote:One fighter of a similar mould from these shores I remember when I was young was Kevin Lueshing. I remember him putting Trinidad over before he was stoped and then getting a pasting of Harry Simon in his other world title fight. From my recollection he was a real knock 'em out or be knocked out fighter, who probably did himself no favours by squeezing himself down to Welter when the weight was just too tight for him.

He used to be in the Sky studio now and then back in the day as well, but suddenly disappeared, not to be seen since!

I remember him, Chris. Big puncher with a dodgy chin.

Good looking chap though. I think he was a manager for a while and did some modelling but I could be wrong there.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:08 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Think maybe Bogart's movie about Carnera is the closest..

How very dare you Truss! A horrific portrayal of the great Carnera. Quite like the Graziano film Somebody up there likes me. Big Paul Newman fan though. Raging Bull is a decent film, although a slightly obvious choice.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:25 am

88Chris05 wrote:One fighter of a similar mould from these shores I remember when I was young was Kevin Lueshing.

but suddenly disappeared, not to be seen since!

Not so, Christopher. Not so.

Spoiler:

Book early to avoid disappointment.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

Talking of Harry Simon and unsung value for money Brits got to be a mention of Wayne Alexander. Took Simon on short notice and buzzed him a couple of times early. Also had an absolute three round war with Paul Samuels, a domestic Hagler Hearns that one. Can also not mention him without reference to him starching Takaloo with as brutal a knockout as even the most blood thirsty amongst us could ever want to see.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am

I loved him too TRUSS, the man had no chin but i loved old scrap iron!

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Oooh I remember that Alexander vs Takaloo KO - OUCH!

And it's a good shout on Lueshing - seem to remember he called himself "The Look"?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 pm

Paul 'Hoko' Hodkinson was also in the KO or be KO'd category

He was also great entertainment. Showed McGuigan how to beat Stevie Cruz anyway!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 pm

"Showed Mcguigan how to beat Cruz"

By fighting him inside!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Showed Mcguigan how to beat Cruz"

By fighting him inside!! Cool

Haha and in Ireland!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:34 pm

Scrap Iron was a big favourite in our house, great call Truss.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down