The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

+25
MacKnocked-on
ChequeredJersey
Bathman_in_London
peachbomb
vicenzolaquilarugby
bsando
RuggerRadge2611
Mickado
21st Century Schizoid Man
Jenifer McLadyboy
kiakahaaotearoa
Morgannwg
GunsGerms
propdavid_london
Jimpy
Hound_of_Harrow
SecretFly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
R!skysports
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
George Carlin
thebluesmancometh
Artful_Dodger
IanBru
maestegmafia
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities Empty Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:00 pm

I thought it would be a grand opportunity for posters to recommend great places to visit at the various venues of the Great Competition.

Restaurants, Pubs, food stalls night clubs, even sights to see and places to visit. Comprising our own little 606V2 Six Nations Guide to the cities.

This weekend the venues are London, Dublin and Edinburgh. Any good ideas you have please post below.

There's been some great tips so far.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:04 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities Empty Re: Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm

One of my favourite pubs in Cardiff is the Old Arcade. Been going there for years. Always a good selection of Beers on Tap and a good friendly crowd. Nostalgia is probably one of the greatest draws to The Arcade.

If you are doing a bit of a pub crawl pre or post match tomorrow. I recommend you tick this one off on your list. Might see you in there myself.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities Empty Re: Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities

Post by IanBru Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:10 pm

In Edinburgh head to 'Iris' on Thistle Street. It's quite posh and small, so you'll have to book, but it serves the best steak I've ever tasted - nicely peppered, with a dash of lemon juice.

The waitresses are friendly as well. FYI, like.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

Porterhouse in Dublin - best selection of beers anywhere.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:24 pm

I've been in there dodger! I expect it's classed as a bit touristy by the locals, but I had a great time. Some of the lads went on an open top bus tour, but a few of us just went on the lash instead! Happy days!

Also, the first pub we stepped into in Dublin didn't sell Guinness! We couldn't believe it! It was a bar that had about a million different stouts and ales, and a bit of a pro barman who knew the history and story behind them all. Good times.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 01 Feb 2013, 6:31 pm

Best place to visit at Twickers is the station. The queue will be huge and there will be a bit of a wait for a train but it'll be lively and great fun, just ensure you have a tipple to hand.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 8:20 am

Great Saturday in Cardiff.

City Arms had plenty of room and quick service for watching the England Scots game. Fifty feet from the stadium and we walked straight in and had a good pint and excellent view of the screen.

The Queens Vaults were serving Two Pint plastic glasses which was a great laugh. Looked like something from Gulliver's Travels...!

Service in all pubs was fast, stewards at the stadium were helpful, some bloke was handing out free sausage rolls too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 8:23 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:Porterhouse in Dublin - best selection of beers anywhere.
I miss the Porterhouse. guinness Crying or Very sad

If you need to apologise to the missus in Edinburgh for being too distracted by the rugby, take her to the Grain Store in the Old Town. Never miss that restaurant when I'm in town - proper Scottish cooking. And I don't mean the sh!t kind.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 8:33 am

Some great eating recommendations for Edinburgh.

The Grain Store and Iris.

The Grain Store Restaurant
30 Victoria St, Edinburgh

http://www.irisedinburgh.co.uk/

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:49 am

http://www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk/about/ OK

And nope, I'm not affiliated with them in any way.
Other than loving their venison.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:14 pm

Technically not in a 6N city, but O'Connor's Old Oak Pub was showing the rugby on Saturday night in Vienna. http://www.oconnors.at/oconnors-14.html

Some extremely good quality meals, and (and the people I was there with have done their research) the best Guinness in central Europe. The Murphys Red and London Pride went down well too.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

When Scotland are playing

Any pub without a TV is good

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

Not far down the road from Twickers is the Museum of Richmond Upon Thames, highlights listed on their website include a cardboard replica of a wedding cake.
Worth the admission price alone Id say.

Dublin ..has to be the zoo, birthplace of Roary Lions.

Cardiff ...I believe the National Museum currently has a display centred around great historical events such as the last time the rugby side won a game?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:Technically not in a 6N city, but O'Connor's Old Oak Pub was showing the rugby on Saturday night in Vienna. http://www.oconnors.at/oconnors-14.html

Some extremely good quality meals, and (and the people I was there with have done their research) the best Guinness in central Europe. The Murphys Red and London Pride went down well too.

Useful info there mate... Often see people post wanting to know where they can watch games in far flung cities...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

Dublin - has to be the stairway up the Spike. It's not open all day but just hang around at the bottom of it and give your wallet to the first tracksuit that passes by and laughs at you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Mon 04 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

Richmond is the place to go before a game at Twickenham. Lots of pubs and restaurants.

If you want a busy pub and don't mind plastic glasses and a long wait to get served then The Sun or The Orange Tree are for you.

A proper boozer, where you will get your tipple served in a glass is The Triple Crown. It is tucked away adjacent to The Athletic Ground, the home of Richmond and London Scottish.

If either of them, and/or London Welsh are at home, the pub will have a fair number of fans in attendance. Food is limited, if served at all.

The Princes Head on Richmond Green is also a good spot, and the food is pretty good.

In Cardiff, I have always liked The Cayo Arms on Cathedral Road. It serves a good selection of the fine beers being brewed in Wales these days.

Never been to Edinburgh.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

Judging by last Saturday, the Millenium Stadium is a good place to go if you want some peace and quiet.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:12 pm

The White Swan in Twickers, down by the river and a bit further along than the Barmey Arms.

Great atmosphere, good beer and if the weather is OK there is normally a BBQ on outside.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:54 pm

Bath pub on Bath Avenue beside the Aviva stadium in Dublin.

It is a regular haunt for the Ireland and Leinster players because one of the owners is Leinster player Eoin O'Malley's brother who also runs Ireland's A list night club Krystal with a former Blackrock chum.

It is a good pub because it revolves around rugby and seem to have cornered this market now. For Leinster's match v Exeter they gave free bottles of Heineken to everyone in the bar for every try Leinster scored.

On match day there will always be a good crowd and if you are looking for nice D4 girls this is usually a good place to start as they are drawn in by the likelyhood of seeing some rugby players post match. They have nice waitresses to boot.

This pub may not be around much longer as it is fighting residents in a battle over their smoking area. It should survive the 6 nations though so enjoy it while its there.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:58 pm

All of them.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

I love how the great places to go in Six Nation Cities steeped in history and tradition, monuments and grand architecture and the recommendations we get are all pubs or restaurants! Change the name of the OP to great places to go and get sloshed before and after the game and restaurants to soak up the alcohol. Who said rugby players aren't refined and just drunk louts? Who said eating was cheating? Well done v2ers to taking a blow to these harmful stereotypes.

As Paris hasn't been mentioned, my favourite places are in the 5th. In fact the pick is also the pub The 5th. Very cheap happy hour pints. 3 euros. If you haven't been to Paris that's as cheap as you'll find. That is if you want a pint of beer instead of detergent or musk of men. Miles from the stadium but the atmosphere at the Stade de France isn't up to much and a far better plan to stay in the 5th and chase student totty. Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities 3933776953

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:40 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I love how the great places to go in Six Nation Cities steeped in history and tradition, monuments and grand architecture and the recommendations we get are all pubs or restaurants! Change the name of the OP to great places to go and get sloshed before and after the game and restaurants to soak up the alcohol. Who said rugby players aren't refined and just drunk louts? Who said eating was cheating? Well done v2ers to taking a blow to these harmful stereotypes.

As Paris hasn't been mentioned, my favourite places are in the 5th. In fact the pick is also the pub The 5th. Very cheap happy hour pints. 3 euros. If you haven't been to Paris that's as cheap as you'll find. That is if you want a pint of beer instead of detergent or musk of men. Miles from the stadium but the atmosphere at the Stade de France isn't up to much and a far better plan to stay in the 5th and chase student totty. Great Places to go in Six Nation Cities 3933776953

Well, I can thoroughly recommend this karting outfit in Vienna
http://www.monza-kart.com/121.html

I wouldn't bother with the catacombs tour of Stephensplatz cathedral, but both the Schonbrunn and Belvedere palaces are worth a look (and there's even a rugby club beside Schonnbrunn u-bahn (tube) station). Based on my visit a couple of years ago the Naschmarket has fantastic food (and the clothing stalls etc there on a Saturday will keep the fairer halves entertained a while - and there's a bar to wait in while they shop Wink ). The Xmas markets are really good for rum punch or gluwein on a cold day, particularly the Rathaus one (I also love the fact that "rat-haus" is German for "Town Hall" Whistle )
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

The Eiffel Tower - very top of it - is quite an extraordinary place to be when you're sloshed!!! Now that's extreme sports with a Capital C for Culture.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:For Leinster's match v Exeter they gave free bottles of Heineken to everyone in the bar for every try Leinster scored.
Must have been the Away game, or else they saved a fortune.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:For Leinster's match v Exeter they gave free bottles of Heineken to everyone in the bar for every try Leinster scored.

It was. Have you ever been there? What you think of it?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 04 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

Twickenham - the Orange Tree, Richmond - great rugby place (just back) and free buses to the game. Twickenham itself a bit of a 'cultural' desert tbh.

Murrayfield - The Raeburn has some fine beers but always very busy. I like Berts Bar in William St -good beer and food and a lot of former players go there too. Ale

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:08 pm

Best views are from the 2nd floor instead of the top but the best views of the city are from the Arc de Triomphe. Montmartre or the Tour de Montparnasse are too far from the centre. Plus it's great to see how many crashes in the Etoile. Only place I know where regardless of whose fault it is, you are required to pay half the damages or share the costs.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:The Eiffel Tower - very top of it - is quite an extraordinary place to be when you're sloshed!!! Now that's extreme sports with a Capital C for Culture.

I remember a trip to Paris and a friend had said that if it was windy you should have a look down as you step out of the Elevator at the top of the Eiffle Tower.

My god I wish I hadn't...! It is phenomenal how much it sways n the wind.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:The Eiffel Tower - very top of it - is quite an extraordinary place to be when you're sloshed!!! Now that's extreme sports with a Capital C for Culture.

I remember a trip to Paris and a friend had said that if it was windy you should have a look down as you step out of the Elevator at the top of the Eiffle Tower.

That's exactly what my drunk friend said!................... well the highlighted bit anyway, God rest his soul.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Best views are from the 2nd floor instead of the top but the best views of the city are from the Arc de Triomphe. Montmartre or the Tour de Montparnasse are too far from the centre. Plus it's great to see how many crashes in the Etoile. Only place I know where regardless of whose fault it is, you are required to pay half the damages or share the costs.

Thats true. I heard about that. Moral of the story, avoid at all costs because it is a bit like the breakdown in rugby everyone could be penalised.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

SecretFly wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

That's exactly what my drunk friend said!................... well the highlighted bit anyway, God rest his soul.

I wouldn't advise attempting a glance down when drunk.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:

It was. Have you ever been there? What you think of it?

Our season tickets ensure that I have to walk round the stadium to enter via Bath Avenue. Never been inside though. Perhaps I'll try it on Sunday.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:34 pm

Laugh True enough GG. If you got stuck in the inside lanes in peak traffic hours, there was no use it lose it rule to help you get out of that tangled mess either.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Any thoughts on this weekends venues, other than Drunkenly viewing the Eiffle Tower.

In Paris the Terminus Nord restaurant is a great warm up. Popular with Ex-Players and Journalists it is right opposite the Gare Du Nord Station that you will likely either arrive on Eurostar or head to Stade de France for the match.

Menu is basic French good wine and waiters are helpful.

23 rue de Dunkerque
75010 Paris
Tél : +33 (0)1 42 85 05 15

If you have to take your spouse or partner then maybe a treat at Le Bistro Paul Bert.

Le Bistrot Paul Bert, 18 rue Paul Bert (11th); +33-1-43-72-24-01

Its a classic french Bistro fantastic food and will make you remember all the good reasons to be in Paris.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:23 am

This weekend the venues are Paris, Dublin and Edinburgh. Any good ideas you have please post below. Last weeks Cardiff, Twickenham and Rome raised a few local recommendations for anyones future trips.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:29 am

Dublin is a fantastic city with some phenomenally good restaurants. One of my life long favourites is Gallaghers Boxty House in Temple Bar. Potato Pan Cakes with different fillings. Cabbage Bacon and Parsley sauce being a favourite.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:34 am

If you're coming to Dublin I recommend staying away from Temple Bar, it's the type of place you'd go for a bar crawl, which is not really the point of an Irish pub, you need to get yerself a spot to sit or stand and stay for a while to soak up the atmosphere and banter. I'd recommend drinking in the Baggot street area before the game, moving down towards Lansdowne and afterwards, my favourite part of the city would be the bars around Camden street, Flannerys, Whealans and the Village are all good late night spots, while the Bleeding Horse, Cassidys and the long hall are good traditional boozers.

Also, it's home to Zaytoons, the best kebab place in the country.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Feb 2013, 8:34 am

Also went to the Hen House in Dun Laoghaire a while ago for nieces birthday. Great fun, really good food. All chicken.

Definitely recommend it if your out that way.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:05 am

Teuchters in Edinburgh is great on 6N day but it is incredibly busy.

You can't really go wrong if you stick to rose street for pre and post match banter though.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:06 am

I can recommend 3 good restaurants in Edinburgh. Kyloe at the very end of princess street (part of the Rutland hotel) has a cow sticking out the front of the building, can't miss it. Best rump steak I ever had with triple cooked chips and red wine Stilton sauce. Little expensive but bloody good!

2nd is ideal for pre match feed, but not very scottish. Just across road from haymarket train station is sushiya. Very affordable and made on the spot sushi, sashimi etc. sushiya poos all over yo sushi which is just crap. Friendly service and Japanese larger is awesome! Book a table though, its a small restaurant and is quite popular. Oh and it's exactly halfway between murrayfield and town.

For the hang over, get your self down to Ryan's ASAP! Best glass of oj in the city. They do loads of good breakfast stuff, full fry up, French toast, pancakes etc. but the oj is freshly squeezed and really good when you're feeling tender.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by vicenzolaquilarugby Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:08 am

Strip 8 Marzo Roma

vicenzolaquilarugby

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:20 am

I remember three sisters being a good pub in Edinburgh, I usually end up drinking loads at murrayfield hotel then going to grass market or royal mile.

http://www.thethreesistersbar.co.uk/

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by peachbomb Fri 08 Feb 2013, 3:47 pm

Yeah I agree, I've had some top nights out in The Three Sisters and the grassmarket area in general. Ghillie Dhu at the west end beside The Rutland is quite good too.

peachbomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

I was in the 3 Sisters a bit on my Stag do. Good place for a booze up.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:53 pm

You won't be able to watch the rugby there, but the Dove, Pear Tree and Crab Tree in Hammersmith are all cracking pubs for different reasons, and the Riverside Cafe there is an excellent (though pricey) Restaurant
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:00 pm

You're never very far from a good bar in Edinburgh, if you find yourself in Morningside (a good bit out of the centre) then a visit to the Canny Man's is in order.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:14 pm

In the past on 6N weekends in Dublin, I haven't strayed far from Kielys in Donnybrook and in Cardiff, I am old enough to remember the old pub right outside the train station, which has sadly long since gone. Happy memories and the games weren't bad either.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 09 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

Is Kiely's next to the donnybrook stadium? I watched a Lions test there when the last tour was on. Great pub. Full of rugby fans lots of screens and unsurprisingly a good pint poured.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 04 Mar 2013, 8:55 am

Right I may well be on my way to Edinburgh this weekend. So where do I get a great haggis, a fantastic breakfast and the best per match pint...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:55 am

maestegmafia wrote:Is Kiely's next to the donnybrook stadium? I watched a Lions test there when the last tour was on. Great pub. Full of rugby fans lots of screens and unsurprisingly a good pint poured.

Yeah thats the one.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next